PDA

View Full Version : Creation of a convertion tool

Nicool
03-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Hello,
I just give an idea which need about for persons : someone who know maxscript, another one who know melscript (me), one on lightwave script, and one on softimage.

A lot of people ask how to get a mesh in an other software... So I think we can create our own 3d file format easly format. It will be an independant file format which support polygonal mesh at first.

My idea : create for each software a script to import and another one to export this new 3d file format.

§ Export : the mesh are made of face. Each face count some vertex. So create a script which write in a text file (fopen, fwrite, fclose functions) the XYZ vertex position which compose each face. Like this (quad polygon):

startFace
1 1 0
1 -1 0
-1 -1 0
-1 1 0
endFace

§Import : the script read the text file and rebuild aesly a face each time it's writen "startFace and stop at "endFace" and build the original mesh. Merge the vertex and the meesh is finished. Not a vertex is common to more than one face.

Reply me if you are interest by my project.

Note in the future we could had the UV, the material apply on a mesh (or face)

Nicool
03-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Sorry for my language mistakes, I was nervous :scream:

Beroc-LOD
03-13-2003, 02:03 AM
hmmm.... are you wanting to create a complete scene animations/lights/ textures and all? Or are you just wanting to get one mesh from one program to another?

Nicool
03-13-2003, 04:20 PM
My little project aim to get create a file format to get a mesh in a software in the beginning. But we can add marks like "Light" "locator",....

I can be a very interesant project with personn who are interest in coding a simple free system for 3d graphist!

I'll say more if I find more people interested!
:beer:

Beroc-LOD
03-13-2003, 04:31 PM
until you get to keyframe animations and how modifiers affect things, I know that Max's 3ds file format will do everything you are thinking about. I dont know however, if Maya or Lightwave import those.

Nicool
03-13-2003, 05:05 PM
If we want to import/export an animation, we can use the RIB (PRman) file format method which batch all the scene and buid a scene for each frame.

But my project will be useful to get a modeled mesh (and element as light ans locator,...) in another software where the user will animate or do smothing else!:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.