PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics Question for Character

stowaway0
04-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey guys, I'm not ultra experienced with dynamics so any advice you could offer would be great.

Here's my situation. I have a character that has a set of strings tying his mouth shut (piercing the lips). The loops that go through the characters mouth have blendShapes to follow the movement of the lips. The strings dangle down about the length of the face, but near the middle they have a large cylindrical shaped bead.

So, the problem I'm confronting is how to influence this dangling part of the string dynamically AND have the bead also be able to rotate as though it were truly bouncing.

I've combined the bead and the separate elements of the string into one polyginal object but could easily seperate them if your solution would require that. I just need to be able to use blendShapes on the loop section.

Here's what hasn't worked:

The closest thing i've been able to do (which for the most part looks great) is turn the strings into soft-bodies, use the original geometry as a goal object, paint the weights to influence BELOW the blendShapes, and apply gravity and/or springs. THE PROBLEM is that the BEAD does not ROTATE at all, it just sways back and forth perfectly vertical.

I'd use rigid bodies with a pin constraint and a wire deformer on the string, but there's no way I know of to have the deformer follow individual verticies with the blendShapes.

Any suggestions you guys have would be helpful!! I feel like it's probably a lot more simple than I think, but it's just escaping me at the moment.

THANKS!

twedzel
04-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Look into a hair curve controling a spline IK curve.

stowaway0
04-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks guys, sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. I actually solved the problem right after posting, I had forgotten about the rivet script, which I just used to stick the bead onto the soft bodies. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2007, 12:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.