PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Crashes Everytime!

dragonfollower
04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
So here's my situation...

I have a scene I'm trying to render out with one character in it and a simple backdrop. I have the scene on TWO computers... a slow computer and a new FASTER computer. The scene renders just fine on the slow computer but it takes WAAAAAAY too long. Because of this, I want to render it on the FASTER computer, but each time I try, it crashes at around frame 3-8. I think out of all the tries to render the scene, the farthest I got was about frame 8.

Anyway, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling XSI numerous times.....I've made sure the OS firewall was off....I made sure I had the lastest drivers for my graphics card....I guess I'm not sure what else to try here. In fact I really don't know what the problem could be. A memory leak maybe?

Here are my system specs....

Intel Core 2 CPU X6800 @ 2.93 ghz, 3.29 Ghz
2 GB RAM
Windows XP Professional

Video Card:
NVidia Geforce 8800 GTX

I'm using XSI Foundation

I'd REALLY appreciate ANY help in resolving this. It's a project for work and it's growing nearer and near to my deadline.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

dragonfollower
04-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Anyone?

I was hoping this would be something obvious to other people. My knowledge is pretty limited with XSI. Before I posted, I searched the forum and I still haven't been able to find anything that might indicate what the problem could be.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

oktawu
04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
just a shot in the dark, and it might not be this at all but
i dont know if u were aware, that current nvidia drivers have some issues with core 2 duo
so i would suggest u install an older version of the driver, maybe a few months back
and try again.

best of luck

deli-rium
04-25-2007, 11:47 PM
do you get any error message?
Check the option in render panel to output the diagnostics on render. You'll see what happens during the rendertime.
It would be more appropriate to put down your scene details such as:
1. number of objects + poly count
2. animations, rigs
3. maps(textures, normal, displacement maps + size and number)+shaders
4. you render settings
5. version of XSI

Most often the issue might be a memory shortage. You rig is quite up to date but your OS limits the amount of RAM it uses per application.

I wouldn't take you GPU as the possible cause as I thing it has nothing to do with rendering, but who knows.

mrflynn
04-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Also, go into your render tab, go to the optimisations and try quickset the options, the vanilla render optimisations render so slow till you do this.

Also can we please hear a description of what happens so early on in your animation? seems like its tripping on something but only after a few frames, so you know you can render..

Chinny
04-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Some ideas.

1. Try merging the scene instead of loading it
2. Delete half the stuff in the scene (repeat) to see if it is something in the scene that is weird
3. Question - Does your RAM get all used up? Check your Task Manager. If so do you have any other programs that you could use to test your RAM. We get many new machines here to test, and every now and then, it is a bad stick of RAM that is the problem. Try taking the RAM out and reseating it. Or try with just 1gb at a time.

Chin

mattmos
04-26-2007, 02:12 PM
It sounds like it could be a ram issue, I had a similar issue with my new machine and had to get a new ram stick, it would run most programs fine and load/save/scrub scenes but rendering would go after a few frames.

Also could try using your machine at stock settings? It might be causing some instability - have you overclocked or changed voltage on your memory as well? Some of the newer motherboards actually have less voltage going to the memory than is recommended for the memory itself, easy enough to change in bios settings.

dragonfollower
04-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!

At this point I'm thinking it's something with the License Server timing out or something. I opened the License Server log file and noticed that it kept saying something along the lines of "no such license of softimage 6.0 found" or something like that. After repeated attempts, it terminated the spm server. When I tried to restart the server I got the following error:

CRITICAL: fatal error: "can't access dongle at -ETX"

This all seemed to happen once I turned my internet connection off for the night. Does XSI have to have an internet connection in order to continually renew the license info? That seems kind of strange.

This worries me because this is my second computer. XSI was originally on another computer, but I got this new one and emailed Softimage about transferring my license to it. They responded by saying that we could now have XSI on 2 computers and told me to install it and request a license. I did and it seemed to work, but it looks like for some reason it keeps timing out or something.

Anyway, any help with this would be great! Thanks so far for your responses!

-Brian

deli-rium
04-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I always say one thing about licence stuff. Talk to Softimage, I'm sure they help you.
BTW,
check your firewall.

thedoc
04-27-2007, 09:01 AM
i also don't think it's the graphics card. try start your render later... maybe frame 100 and see what happens then?

stblair
04-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the help!

At this point I'm thinking it's something with the License Server timing out or something. I opened the License Server log file and noticed that it kept saying something along the lines of "no such license of softimage 6.0 found" or something like that. After repeated attempts, it terminated the spm server. When I tried to restart the server I got the following error:

CRITICAL: fatal error: "can't access dongle at -ETX"

This all seemed to happen once I turned my internet connection off for the night. Does XSI have to have an internet connection in order to continually renew the license info? That seems kind of strange.

This worries me because this is my second computer. XSI was originally on another computer, but I got this new one and emailed Softimage about transferring my license to it. They responded by saying that we could now have XSI on 2 computers and told me to install it and request a license. I did and it seemed to work, but it looks like for some reason it keeps timing out or something.

Anyway, any help with this would be great! Thanks so far for your responses!

-Brian

The SPM license server needs an enabled network connection (because SPM binds the license to the MAC address of the network adapter). When you disconnect from the Internet, your connection is probably disabled.

Steve

ajcgi
04-30-2007, 08:57 AM
i had that network problem ages ago when i was at college. You need a tcp/ip connection active all the time. I dunno how it goes with the newer xsi versions (i use 4.2fnd it has no spm) but on xsi3advanced you were able to install a 'local loopback adapter' in windows that simulates a network connection constantly.
Presuming you're on xp, try it out:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Install-Microsoft-Loopback-adapter-Windows-XP.html

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2007, 08:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.