PDA

View Full Version : New user with some problems!

::r|[o::
03-12-2003, 10:09 AM
After exporting from 3ds Max in fbx-format, I open my character in MB and some problems occur:

1) the head of my model is deformed as if it was squeezed a bit.
2) I can't see my bones created in Max. Actually I do see something, but they are very thin lines representing my bones. Is that normal?
3) I drag 'Character onto my model and when I try to check the Characterize checkbox within the Character controls I get a pop-up message telling me: "some base links are missing". What am I doing wrong?

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Michel Besner
03-12-2003, 12:10 PM
Can you attach your max and FBX files ?
Thanks !

M.

3D_Mike
03-12-2003, 02:07 PM
1. FBX doesnt support envelopes and bulges. It also has a problem with scaled and mirrored objects. It also has a problem with skin, Id rather use psysique instead

2. Yup thats normal

3. You are missing some basic links like the program says. Just set m all by hand. Check the manual, its not that hard

03-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Michel: I rather don't attach my files.

3D_Mike thanks so far, but could you (or somebody else) help me some more? It is still not very clear for me:

1) I haven't used bulges, I only used envelopes for vertex weighting within the Skin modifier. The rest of my geometry opens just fine in MB, except for the head.

The Max manual says it supports a Skin-modifier when it is applied on an editable mesh. I've never used Physique before, apart from the problems you mentioned between Skin and Filmbox; what are the main advantages of Physique above Skin?

As for the mirroring issue: when I mirror my bones (for example: mirror my rightleg bones for my left leg), how do I fix my copy so that it exports without negative scaling problems?

2) Is it? I didn't mean the yellow colored stick figure with red and blue spheres that should represents bones, but a very very thin grey line instead.

3) I'll dig into it :)

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

CurtisG
03-13-2003, 05:54 AM
Hi ::r|[o::,

I'm not sure why the head of your character is deformed, but that could be an issue with the skinning on your character. As for the bones, Select all the bones in your character (you can use the Schematic view to do this) and in the Properties editor, you can change the size of the bones to make them easier to see.

As for the dropping of the character node, you have to make sure the names of you bones are named properly for this to 'auto characterize' your character. If you don't have them name properly, simply drop the character node into your scene, brind up the Character Definition panel, and manually drop in the bones into the list, corresponding to the bones listed in the list. (i.e. your hip bones goes into the 'Hips' slot).

If you are having problems after this, please post you file for us to take a look at.

Cheers,

03-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks CurtisG!

The characterize (missing base links) problem was my fault, indeed I missed some essential bones. Probably due to the fact that my entire left leg and right arm had some negative scaling. I fixed that now, found the solution (http://www.kaydara.com/customer_services/forum/showthread.php?threadid=816&highlight=negative) on the Kaydara Discussion Forum. For some reason Discreet has left out the 'Mirror Bones' checkbox in Max 5. The Mirror Bones 1.0 script solved it.

The weird head deformation is still a mystery to me, I will look into my skinning, maybe I made a stupid mistake (I hope it's just that).

If the problem stays I will send the file.

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.