PDA

View Full Version : Sculpting Technical how to's quetions/answers

Diependaal
04-25-2007, 05:49 PM
A lot of you know the Sub-d thread, de human topology thread etc.
I though why not make something here in the spirit of that.

Subject: Sculpting how to's

Example 1 : how do you make nice wrinkles, and in when subdiv level do you start making them?

Example 2 :how do you get sharp corners without bulging up or editing the surounding mesh to much, making the top edge of the lip for example.

example 3 : how do you get the inside of the nose done correctly etc etc.

so this is my start, this are for me 3 points im doubting about how i should tackle them, so any such questions or answers, just post it.

And let this thread be a realm of sculpting knowledge:thumbsup:

kamsvag
04-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Problem!

I'm working on my digital stuntdouble and I've mannaged to make him asymetrical by mistake.
The side doesn't correspond 100% to the right side (the one I've got as my reference side). Is there any tool to mirror one side over to the other?

I realy enjoy Mudbox, but there's some functions I can't seem to find.

Thanks!

Diependaal
04-26-2007, 09:22 AM
im new to mudbox, so i cant say for sure, but i dont think there is a way to copy is, it would be nice if there where one.

Sort of clone stamp function.

But there is a way to work around it, when you are done ust make your normal or displacement map and make it symetrical in photoshop.

And make sure your base model is also symetrical, and put it on the mesh, and you are done.

CKPinson
04-27-2007, 08:53 AM
There is a mirror sculpt button that is in your tool area to the right and below the label you'll notice X, Y, Z and you can check which axis you want to mirror to- once you activate this function you'll see another curser appear opposite and react inversily to what you're doing- It's fun once you get the hang of it.

kamsvag
04-27-2007, 08:58 AM
That I already knew, the problem was that I had an area frozen and didn't notice since I was working zoomed in on the right hand. The left hand doesn't look like the right any longer. That's the problem. What I was looking for was the option you've got in zBrush to mirror one side to the other. That doesn't seem to be an option here, so I just might have to bring the charater into zBrush once I'm done with the one side and resymetrize the character.

It's no big problem, I just found it anyoing.

MasonDoran
04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
read the manual....

look for mirror layers

MasonDoran
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Diep, a lot of these issues should be addressed in the modelling stage. Things like nostrils and crisp edges need to be done in the modelling software first because when it comes time to render displacement maps or normal maps, the software does not currently calculate concave cavities or overlapping surfaces like scales unless it is already modelled on the low poly geometry.

Use Pinch to get sharp edges.

For wrinkles, you just have to start painting them with a soft falloff, and then carve away the sharp areas with a sharp falloff brush.

Diependaal
04-27-2007, 12:12 PM
2byts, thanks for the info, yea i also thought that,

aldo at some point your mid res model can block your creativity when sculpting, caus the tesselation isnt working with it at places at the nostrell entry etc.

Now i have made a base mesh head, with no nostrells in them for example, but ive seen a lot of people have that problem caus allmost all base meshes dont have them.

But indeed when sculpting work you allready made in polygons and designed and just need some extra detail than its a whole other question.

MasonDoran
04-27-2007, 12:35 PM
you can always just do a rough sketch in mudbox, export the low res version and then rebuild a low rez cage around it in your modelling software. Then use this to extract your maps.

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2007, 12:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.