PDA

View Full Version : Tablet boards instead of mouse

sepehr
03-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Hi
I have never used any tablet board or pen or...
I just wnated to know if we can use tablet boards instead of mouse in Maya and 3dmax.
I feel tired of using mouse...my finger seems to have some kind of problem clicking that much.
Do they make the work process easier?
Thank you
Sepehr

dvornik
03-12-2003, 08:53 AM
A tablet will only help temporarily in my opinion. Then you'll get RSI from the tablet as well. Consider other solutions first, like wrist supports, exersise, baoding balls, shaolin kung-fu and stuff like that.

But tablets certainly can replace the mouse in both of those applications, as well as in all other applications.

imashination
03-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Tablets bring on RSI much quicker than a mouse, especially the larger A4 ones. If you really want something comfy then give a trackball a go. It will take you a couple of weeks to get used to it, until you do you'll think its a pile of crap ;-)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=6&CONTENTID=5006&countryid=18&languageid=1

sirius
03-12-2003, 12:20 PM
i do not agree with the above.

pens tablets can help reduce rsi risc. And a4 size tablet is not causing more rsi than a small one. The opposite might be the case.
Small repetitive movements cause easier rsi than larger and different movements. Achieving precision with a small movement is a lot more difficult and might put your muscles under stress.
It is a good idea to alternate between different input devices, in order to use different muscles. And use keyboard shortkuts a lot.
The ideal ergonomic chair , keyboard, mouse, trackball, sitting position, monitor,etc does not exist, because ANY too long sustained stressed repetitive movement in the same body pose can cause rsi. The message is: change your position and movement regularily.
The idea of keeping your wrist fixed on a wrist support will cause you rsi too.
And ditch that mousepad. they restrict your movements to a ridiculous small area. Keep your desk ample and free of clutter. Too often i see people working on 20 cm desk in front of their monitor...Get a large table, which leaves you enough work space. With my 19 inch monitor i keep 55-60 cm desk space free for my keyboard, tablet, mouses, and thats bare minimum.

at least that helps me.

sirius:rolleyes:

sepehr
03-14-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys for replying.
I think I'm gonna buy tablet...
and sorry for the delay in replying.
I tried to post 3 times last night and each time this new [...] server was too busy...

Marc Andreoli
03-14-2003, 08:06 PM
...just one thing to consider: I prefer using a mouse for 3d work because it is easier to 'hold still'. If you need to select a point for example, you can release the mouse (or just rest your hand on it) once you are there and just press the mouse button, whereas the pen needs to be 'actively' held in position all the time. If you need to use any button on the pen while keeping a precise position on screen, you have to be carefull not to move (or slightly rotate)your pen when you move your finger. Not sure if that makes sense...it is kind of difficult to explain.
And I guess a lot comes down to experience and personal preferences.

But getting a tablet is a good idea anyway, so much easier to create those cool textures...:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.