PDA

View Full Version : Dell 2407WFP

cache
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Hello !

i was wondering what is your experience with this monitor.
I've read quite a few reviews, - with different conclusions though - and user experience really differ from these on some forums.

and i trust you fellow cgtalkers :)

my questions would be:

- is it good for 3d/cad ?
- is it good for watching dvds/movies ? (i heard its noisy)
- is it good for games ? (i heard its laggy)
- is it good for printing works ? (i heard its colors are not suitable for it)

i could only afford this piece of hardver in this category, i dont have +hundreds of $s...

thanks in advance for any answers !

mustan9
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I had one at my last job, and just loved it. It's not to big, and not to small. Just right for my taste.

I also have an older Dell 21" Trinitron and liked that monitor as well, but it's time for me to buy an LCD and this one is on the top of my list.

I know you often want to see monitors, but this one you can buy online from Dell and I think you'll be happy with it.

kOsMos3D
04-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Hello !

i was wondering what is your experience with this monitor.
I've read quite a few reviews, - with different conclusions though - and user experience really differ from these on some forums.

and i trust you fellow cgtalkers :)

my questions would be:

i could only afford this piece of hardver in this category, i dont have +hundreds of $s...

thanks in advance for any answers !

Get it if you can. I used to sell a lot of these before, like 30+ in 2 weeks and not even 1 complaint or return! 1920x1200 is sweet! and 6ms response time is perfect for games, but for 3D and video editing is a must have! oh man I now sound like a sales man. lol

Check out the following link,all the specs are listed here and several reviews:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335

Grgeon
04-25-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm trying to decide between one 24" or two 22"s (i have one 20" atm)

-George

DaddyMack
04-25-2007, 12:16 AM
I use mine for 3d/ graphic/ film work and so far it's the sweetest thing I've ever used

Malameel
04-25-2007, 01:12 AM
I have one of these as well, and it is good for all things except color work. The screen isn't as even as it should be. However, for vector stuff, including 3D or CAD, it is great, but I cringe when I have to use Photoshop. Of course, I also have an Eizo and that is simple AMAZING but the cost is so high it is also AMAZING.

Personally, I had to make the decision of what was more important, the fun games and video or the expensive and accurate. Of course the Dell is very cheap, and even cheaper than when I bought it so it is good value, just know what you are getting.
M

robertkist
04-25-2007, 05:33 AM
stay away from this monitor if you work with 4:3 resolutions or play such games.
(at least stay away from revision a03)

check the dell forums. there's all kinds of issues from rev A01 up to A03. See if you can get a 2405. older but much better model.

What was my problem with the 2407? The monitor firmware would not remember aspect ratio settings correctly. Switch to a 4:3 resolution and the monitor would stretch it. around 15 keypresses later on the onscreen menu the resolution displayed correctly. However when you alt tab to the desktop and back to your 4:3 app the monitor would have forgotten your settings. Not acceptable for that price tag imho. I sent it back on the next day.

I ended up getting a Samsung 244T. Dell uses Samsung displays too so both have the same excellent screen quality. However the Samsung's firmware just works. Been happy with that one :)

rybeck
04-25-2007, 06:27 AM

Nothing will satisfy all of these needs as fas as I concern, just alike other components IMHO. Good starting point would be knowing (1) how much budget? (2) what's mainly this for?

Recently I ended up with one of these monitor for myself, and I should say I will buy this again.
I needed dual setup, and I wanted 24 ish as my primary display. I guess it's me, but I was dying for having two displays (even over one large display alike 30" one) as my 3d works usually ended up with multiple sub-windows opened. Having dual setup in my mind, 2407 was fit as best as budget goes, and it saved some for 2nd display.
Since mine was working (3d) monitor, I am happy with it, but I rather go for CRT for gaming, if you don't mind its weight. (I have 21" CRT weight almost 6 times of normal LCD in same size.. :) )
For printing (=color) work, this is not so good IMO, but it will all depening on what kind budget we are talking with. Usually printing work friendly display cost a lot more.
Lastly, if you are after this model, make sure to get the lastest revision. Mine was A04.

Mahlon
04-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I ended up getting a Samsung 244T. Dell uses Samsung displays too so both have the same excellent screen quality. However the Samsung's firmware just works. Been happy with that one :)

What is the panel used in the 2407? I mean, what type? It's not TN Film, is it?

Thanks,
Mahlon

omar C
04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
i have the dell 2407 , the monitor is truly great. i'm verry happy with it, i'd buy it again over anny other monitor in that same price range .

the 24 does not use a TN panel , the 22" dell does. if i'm wright there are only a verry few 22" non TN panel based.

also the firmware problems are long taken care of , there was indeed a big gradient banding problem. ofcourse there is always going to be defect monitors comming out of the factory and it sure sux bigtime when you happen to be the person who gets it...ive been there ,but that was with samsung...

best thing to do is go compare different monitors then make you're decision

(excuse my bad english)

Grgeon
04-26-2007, 07:33 AM
What's TN if i may ask?

-George

rybeck
04-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Twisted Nematic

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD"

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2007, 03:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.