PDA

View Full Version : Inspired 3d Character Setup Question?

dharmabum
03-12-2003, 02:23 AM
Hey there, I need some help. I've been trying to teach myself rigging and bought the Inspired 3d Character Setup book but have run into a few problems. I'm on page 220 where I'm learning to rig an IK spine and can't figure out what to do next. I've done everything up until I have to enter the expression for "spineTwistEXP". My questions are what are "float variables", and where do I enter the actual expression? I know about the expression editor but the book does not say what I should be selecting (what object) to create the expression for. Please help me. I'm a newbie and confused. Thanks.

chepe297
03-12-2003, 02:50 AM
Hi dharmabum

Sorry that I am not answering your question, but I am wonder how good is the book? I am using 3ds max 4 and know a little bit of MAYA 4. I was thinking about buying that book a while ago, but unfortunately it's quite dear.

Therefore can you tell me a bit about the book. Since you are a newbie, I am just wondering how comprehensible is that book from your point of view? Do you think it's worth it? :scream:

Thanks dharmabum.

dharmabum
03-12-2003, 03:15 AM
I think it's pretty good. I've learned quite a bit. The price is pretty high but I think it's worth it.

ACFred
03-12-2003, 10:20 AM
I took a look at the book. You will have to enter the expressions in the Expression Editor.
You don't have to have an object to create an expression, so don't worry about that part. For the spine twist, you'll have the hips & chest drive the spine joints (the ones with JNT, not RIG).

So just open up the expression editor, give the expression a name, and type in the feathering expression they have in the book and you should be good to go.

One thing to remember about the expression editor is that it refreshes itself if you have an error in the expression (stupid thing, I know). So make sure you copy the contents of the expression to the clipboard before pressing OK or Apply. That way, if the code disappears, you can just paste it back in and fix what is wrong instead of retyping the whole thing.

Alec

chepe297
03-12-2003, 10:43 PM
thanks dharmabum.

_vine_
03-13-2003, 02:49 AM
Hey guys. I've been using Maya for a few years now while doing mainly modeling and rigging work.

So far, I think this book is the most comprehensive in its approach to the subject of rigging in Maya. Alias Wavefront has a video called "Maya Techniques - Fast Animation Rigs" that came out recently, and it has some excellent info as well.

As your question about "float variables" - floats, floaters, or floating point numbers are any number that have decimal places in them (1.2345, -1.2345, etc.)

Some other types of variables in Maya are:

1) integers, or whole numbers (1,2,3,4, 5, etc.)

2) vectors (<0,0,0>, <x,y,z>, etc.) - you may remember vectors from physics classes

3) strings (alphanumeric data such as text)

Finally, as to where to input the expression in. Probably the Expression Editor is under Window->Animation Editors->Expression Editor. Also, get into the Expression Editor by right clicking an object's attribute in the attribute editor and choosing the editor from the dropdown list. (This method will open the Expression Editor with the appropriate attribute already selected).

You don't need to select anything to create an expression, though if an object is selected you'll notice is appears in the window along with a list of visible attributes that expressions can be applied to.

Once there, just type in the expression's name in the box at the top and type the expression in the space at the bottom.

I hope this helps. :beer:

dharmabum
03-15-2003, 03:47 AM
Great! Thanks for the help!:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.