PDA

View Full Version : fine displacement

Xyllon
03-12-2003, 02:13 AM
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/mentalray.shtml

the link above is a displacement video on making a tire. i downloaded mental ray from the site, but i'd like someone to explain for to do what the video says, especially the shader network. i looks real complex in the video.

Pls help me guys.
Thanks

Xyllon
03-12-2003, 04:43 PM
no one knows, or is my post just moved to the darkest cave in cg talk?

alexx
03-12-2003, 06:39 PM
that video leaves some small steps out that you need to get to the fine displace result they talk about.

first of: the shader is the same no matter if you use maya or mental ray to do the rendering.
so check your manuals to see how you create a displacement in maya (which basically means dragging your texture on the displacement field in the shaders shading group (the SG thingy in front of the lambert or blinn).

to get the "fine" displacement you need to create a new tesselation node in the mental ray render globals (sorry.. cant look the name up right now..) and in there you can chose between a variety of different tesselation methods.
there you can chose one that will allow you to do the fine renderings (again sorry.. just tried that one and dont remember the exact names of it)..

just play around.. you will find the right settings

cheers

alexx

Xyllon
03-12-2003, 11:15 PM
thanks for the tips, i tried the maya displacement tutorial b4 seeing this messgae, and i got it to work, but i just can't transform it to mental ray. i'll give it a shot now.

thanks alexx...very much

Xyllon
03-13-2003, 08:34 PM
arrrgh! wont work. wont load the thread tiff i download from wavefront, and normal maya displacement mapping turns a car tire to a tank tire. hate this S****t :annoyed:

bambam
03-16-2003, 06:56 AM
I think i found what your looking for

Don't ask me what the setting do ...the doc suck for this

In MR globals turn the quality setting to anything other than "deriveFromMaya" like preview

go to preview tab and under overrides->tesselation click th map button next to displace Approx

i think this will effect all objects in the scene

you can also pick an object and go to mental ray for Maya's Approximation Editor (Window > Rendering Editors > mental ray > Approximation Editor).

matty429
03-23-2003, 09:18 PM
are you still having problems...???cuz I don't want to type if you've figured it out...

Xyllon
03-25-2003, 11:34 PM
i lost interest for a second, but i haven't figured it out, but i am about to try all tips given, and i am open for your info pls matty429.

thnx guys for still tryin to help. i really appreciate it.

I am very grateful, and i hope bambam's tip works. {//*opening maya*\\}

matty429
03-26-2003, 12:03 AM
1. Make your Displacement in maya ...As usual.....Use a Alpha texture if possible...

2.select object you want to displace in viweport...

3.Go to >Window>rendering editors>Mental Ray>Approximation editor.

4.Click on create On the Displace approx row

5.Click assign

6. Render

7. In the maya displacement node....Adjust Alpha gain under color balance.. for height

Xyllon
03-27-2003, 05:45 AM
thanks alot matty, ur tip worked fine... perfect. i am very grateful for your help. all i got to do now is play around with the settings so that the bums on my tire thread are smaller, and repeat in the same pattern over and over... as opposed to my image being displaced on the surface on one instance.
thanks again to eveyone that has helped me.

matty429
03-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Cool,,
Now teach someone else..When they get stuck....

Xyllon
03-27-2003, 06:07 AM
:-) most definately... do you understand what i mean by making the displacement map repeat it self ? like the thread marks of a tire?

Xyllon
03-27-2003, 06:12 AM
never mind... think i got it.

i set repeat V of my displacement file to -10 , and this gave me my repetition, but it was blurry, and the displacement wasnt seperated. i then took the earlier advice by BamBam, and it came out perfect.

thanks a whole bunch!!!!:airguitar :buttrock: :beer: :applause: :love: :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.