PDA

View Full Version : Epic Modest Mouse Contest

mummey
04-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Link: http://edcommunity.apple.com/epic/contest.php

Here's what we're looking for. Modest Mouse want a video for their new single "Missed The Boat". They know there are tons of talented fans and video directors out there who have what it takes to put it together. So that's where you come in. The band has shot performance footage of the entire song on green screen from multiple camera angles. Footage is posted here for you to download. You, the director, can download performance footage, add your own digital assets, and make a video using Apple editing tools.

Use all of your own footage or use some of the band's. It's all up to you; just use your imagination.

You will be required to sign a release and give up all rights to the video. When your video is ready, you will submit by following the "Submit an Entry" link to register, loginm and post.

We recommend not waiting until the last minute to submit your video. Traffic is often very heavy at the end of media festivals and it may be difficult for you to upload your video. Upload your submission early, so that your fans have longer to vote for you.

Submission format
For presentation on the web, you need to upload a smaller more compressed version of your entry. Our recommendation is that you compress your movie to a size of 640 X 360 pixels (wide-screen). You should use H.264 compression. Audio should be in AAC format. We recommend compressing at maximum data rate of 1500kbps. Variations from these settings may be made to allow for optimization for your particular movie. However, submissions that are significantly larger or higher bandwidth than those described here will hinder your ability to upload your movie and the ability of others to view it and may result in your video being rejected from the contest.

Submission deadline May 22, 2007

Link: http://edcommunity.apple.com/epic/contest.php

frogspasm
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Is there a requirement that you can only use Apple tools?
I didn't see an explicit set of rules there. "Apple editing tools" could conceiveably mean "Use Quicktime" as your final output.

pogonip
04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
So basically you do all the work and they get the benefit of not having to pay for anything ? I see no prize page so I guess it's just a good demo piece is what they are saying ? What a bunch of BS ..

pluMmet
04-24-2007, 07:57 PM
So basically you do all the work and they get the benefit of not having to pay for anything ? I see no prize page so I guess it's just a good demo piece is what they are saying ? What a bunch of BS ..

Exposure is worth far more then you are giving credit!

Do you have any idea how much people would pay just to be a 5 min topic of conversation in Hollywood?

Good press Bad press, it's all Press :)

Artbot
04-24-2007, 09:58 PM
No, it's BS.

And it's "than".

mummey
04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
No, it's BS.

And it's "than".

You mean "its". :scream:

BTW, what's so BS about it? The terms seem to be pretty clear. If you don't like it, then don't participate.

Ordibble-Plop
04-24-2007, 11:00 PM
One step below

Flog
04-25-2007, 12:26 AM

No, it's BS.

And it's "than".

Dang man that's harsh. I mean if you don't want to do it than don't do it. I'm suprised they have animation challenges on this sight, or ask for pictures in EXPOSURE books and such.

Or for that matter the sketch of the day. Hey maybe you guys should go over there and yell BS at Roberto for doing a sketch of the day.

Seriously you do not have to come in here and have an elitist attitude. He just posted something folks might be interested in if not then so be it.

It's funny how people have this attitude toward things like this here, yet you have a gallery full of Ogres, Trolls or some other LOTR or Star wars crap others modelled for free despite the fact it's been done before and by folks who got paid to do it.

If you want on the contest thank mummey for sharing.

Sheesh it's Mummey guys, it's not some fly by night sleezeball who put his first post as a contest. He has 3400+ posts and shows he is involved in the community, treat him with some respect.

Mummey forgive them, they'll grow up when they hit the 1000th post!

Bow to your CG elders!

FloydBishop
04-25-2007, 12:41 AM
I think the attitude comes from the source of the contest. There is a different feel to a contest run by main stream bands and large software/hardware companies, and one run by an online CG community. I'm just saying.

If you're really into the band or the software (or both), then it might be a good time.

yenvalmar
04-25-2007, 12:47 AM
its BS for a company to expect a bunch of people to make a video for free but on the other hand if you are nobody with no connections this is your only chance to make an official modest mouse video.. but i guess if you dont want to get into music videos this is a total waste of your time.

Artbot
04-25-2007, 12:55 AM
What's "elitist" about calling this a scam? And where do you get the idea that my attitude about this specific "contest" condemns all contests or free assets?

There have been many posts here about the subject of doing work for free, so there's no need to rehash that subject. There are plenty of contests & "calls for work" out there. Many are quite worthwhile and "on the level" (like the Ballistic books - hey! At least I got a very nice book for free!) and some are lazy attempts at acquiring something for (essentially) nothing. Often a promise of "exposure" or "publicity" (and nothing else) is a sign that the organizers have little or nothing of actual value to offer winners, and eager and inexperienced artists are most likely to fall for this scam. I'm not saying this definitely is a scam, but it sure smells like one.

BTW, number of posts should have no bearing on whether someone should be repected in an online community. It simply means they have a lot of posts. And the validity of the contest is no reflection or indictment of the person who merely posted a link to it. Lighten up!

heavyness
04-25-2007, 03:07 AM
no reason to argue over this people. it is a free download and a free contest. you can freely participate or you don't. yes, there are a lot of people here who get paid good money to do this as their jobs, but there are a lot of people who are looking for a break and willing to do this for free.

as we enter the era of youtube, blogs, and other channels of user created content, things will change. lets not forget the grand daddy of user created content, game mods. not to long ago, 2 guys got together, made a couple maps, tweaked some rules, and made a kick ass mod called Counter Strike.

NIN is releasing there entire new album as Garageband files so people can remix and do what ever they want. times are changing.

if you guys want to continue arguing over how lame and or BS this free contest is, please start a new thread so i can close and lock that one.

[besides, the threads about "not doing work for free" is a warning on how companies con you into doing free work and or promising you to get paid... this is a contest with all the rules spelled out for you].

Ordibble-Plop
04-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Perhaps this is a better link to the competition (http://modestmousemusic.com/video/).

That page also includes a link to the official rules.

It looks like there are actually prizes.

avinashlobo
04-25-2007, 06:37 AM
I suppose most of the concern comes from not having heard of the band. It wouldn't be an issue if, say, Radiohead was the band.

As for me, I like the music of Modest Mouse and think it's quite superb. Make an official video for one of their songs? Sign me up already!

edit: Oh damn! It's US only. Well, never mind then. Good luck to whoever participates.

archerx
04-25-2007, 08:04 AM
There are prizes, (A sony camera, iMac, etc) but I heard that the source videos are encoded with the intermediate apple codec, now that is lame.

paulc
04-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Whether its corporate cynicism or whatever,
how often do you get access to the raw, properly shot/lit greenscreen assets for you to create your own music promo. Even if you don't enter the contest, the experience gained by learning to cut, sync, create post effects etc.... is incredible. This is such an opportunity.

drmerman
04-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Even if you don't enter the contest, the experience gained by learning to cut, sync, create post effects etc.... is incredible

I completely agree with paulc on this. I don't have a mac AND I live in the UK, so there is no chance I can enter. But as a learning resource this is really invaluable. Finding one professionally lit greenscreen shot is hard enough, but multi-angled?! :D

Cheers,
Dr Merman

frogspasm
04-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah, the whole Mac only thing is really irritating.
Has anyone on a PC been able to even download any footage?
I've got the latest version of Quicktime Pro installed, and no dice.

Really, extremely lame.

Buzzoff
04-25-2007, 06:59 PM
if you guys want to continue arguing over how lame and or BS this free contest is, please start a new thread so i can close and lock that one.

Damn, is that the new policy? Seems mods are delete/lock happy around here lately.

For the people that feel slighted by the contest why not just crap something out and enter it under a fake name. At least then you know someone had to take the time to look at it and might even think that is the kind of quality they are going to get in general.

Arrrgh4life
04-25-2007, 07:41 PM

FOUND IT! lol
Its on the Modest Mouse page
http://modestmousemusic.com/video/
A Sony HD Camera, iMac, or Ipod

Edit:
Actually looks like grand prize is the HD Camera and the iMac, and 5 runner ups get iPods

RockinAkin
04-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Lame that it's only open to Apple people. :rolleyes:

eodmpink
04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
... But as a learning resource this is really invaluable. Finding one professionally lit greenscreen shot is hard enough, but multi-angled?! :D

Cheers,
Dr Merman

Not entirely, the footage is 640x360 which is a real small plate to pull a key, roto, or track IMO.

pluMmet
04-25-2007, 09:25 PM
No, it's BS.

And it's "than".

In forums people often use some ones spelling error to validate their own opinions. As to say "Look you can't even spell." and further something like "Since I can spell I'm obviously better able to comment on the matter." :)

It's a classic subMENSA tactic. I believe that is what is referred to in terming it an elitist remark.

BTW the band has videos on MTV and such. How is exposure in that venue bs? I realize that no promise was made for an MTV audience but I would think that is to protect themselves incase none of the entries are up to par. They would own the rights so nothing would stop them if they like it enough.

dcndnts
04-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Not entirely, the footage is 640x360 which is a real small plate to pull a key, roto, or track IMO.

It doesnt say the footage is 640x360 anywhere. What it does say is "For presentation on the web, you need to upload a smaller more compressed version of your entry. Our recommendation is that you compress your movie to a size of 640 X 360 pixels (wide-screen)."

visionmaster2
04-25-2007, 10:09 PM
DivideByZero "Lame that it's only open to Apple people."

yes and apple US people !! aaarrffFF:sad:

userBrian
04-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Looks like they're giving nice prizes. I'd like to add that a simple letter stating the first or
second or third place win and signed by the band or the band's manager on an official
letterhead would go a long way towards the recognition bit. It is amazing how even your friends might not believe your casual comment that you won a video challenge for such
a band. This is what hurts. I speak from experience, and I won't name what as a friend
told me if I got a signed letter to that effect he'd give me $50.00 bucks. So what's the deal?
You offer recognition then offer a signed letter so the winner won't feel like a fool when he
mentions his win. I don't mean just an e-mail. Autographs. Real paper. You can frame it and send a copy to your mother. How about a brass plaque , autographed?:bounce:

eodmpink
04-26-2007, 12:25 AM
It doesnt say the footage is 640x360 anywhere. What it does say is "For presentation on the web, you need to upload a smaller more compressed version of your entry. Our recommendation is that you compress your movie to a size of 640 X 360 pixels (wide-screen)."

Directly from the greenscreen file info:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1552/untitledzo9.th.png (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledzo9.png)

R10k
04-26-2007, 01:07 AM
You mean "its".

'It's' is a contraction of 'it is'. So, no... 'it's' is correct. 'Its' is a possessive pronoun.

-Your local spelling nazi ;)

richcz3
04-26-2007, 01:21 AM
CGTalk is loaded with people from pro to hobbiests. I see nothing wrong with this if your trying to get exposure/put your foot through the door.
I like Modest Mouse but not enough to spend the time to cut a full length music video. That and I don't have a Mac - oh well. But there are plenty of fans that would like the potential break that this represents. Something like this would be geared toward them.

I haven't read the requirements page so .... I would only caution people considering it. That they provide the entrants the ability to use their attempts in their reels to demonstrate their capacities. If its limited only to the winner and runner ups, it may be more work than it is worth for many.

j83
04-26-2007, 01:48 AM
'It's' is a contraction of 'it is'. So, no... 'it's' is correct. 'Its' is a possessive pronoun.

-Your local spelling nazi ;)

You beat me to it! :D

Ran13
04-26-2007, 02:09 PM
BTW the band has videos on MTV

MTV still shows music videos?!?!? ;)

j83
04-27-2007, 03:35 AM
MTV still shows music videos?!?!? ;)

People still watch MTV? :D

kraal
04-27-2007, 03:37 AM
the part that gets me is that you have to buy software to enter.

Arrrgh4life
04-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Im confused, where does it says you have to use a mac and mac software? Couldn't I download the footage onto a macbook, and re-encode them, and then edit on my pc if I wanted to?

frogspasm
04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
As long as the output format suits their rules, I don't know why not.
It doesn't say anywhere in the official rules (http://modestmousemusic.com/video/rules.html) that you have to use Apple hardware.
I would love to get my hands on the footage in a PC friendly format to play around with.

archerx
04-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Im confused, where does it says you have to use a mac and mac software? Couldn't I download the footage onto a macbook, and re-encode them, and then edit on my pc if I wanted to?

Ok lets see you re-encode it with out a mac and your software... oh wait....

Arrrgh4life
04-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok lets see you re-encode it with out a mac and your software... oh wait....

My brother has a macbook, I could try to re-encode it on that, and use my pc to edit with. I dont like editing with his setup.

Szos
04-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Wow, this site seems to get more anal every day.... geez, lighten up guys.

If you think this contest is lame, then no one is going to force you to enter. I normally am not a fan at all of people asking for free stuff, but this is a contest - with prizes - but the biggest prize of all is one that you can't put a dollar figure on... exposure. Hell, many people waste countless hours on their computer just messing around as it is, many of them would jump at the chance to both hone their skills and be given the opportunity to make a video for a band they might like. Hell, I have seen countless videos on YouTube and other sites that were made for absolutely no gain and yet people spent a crap load of time on them... just cuz that is their hobby.

Artbot
04-28-2007, 11:23 PM
It's one thing to do something for the love of it and post it somewhere. It's another to do something with the explicit promise of "exposure" as payment (or winnings). I wish people would take a serious look at that word "exposure". What does it mean? That you'll impress your friends? That you'll be the next Spike Jonze? That some studio will recognize your brilliance and give you a lifetime job? More likely, you'll get a bunch more website or youtube hits, and your name will disappear in a week or two from the internet buzz (if it even gets that far). Then what? Real success takes hard work over many years - not being suddenly "discovered".

I'm not trying to be negative or overly cynical here. I think that many artists have unrealistic expectations of what "exposure" will do for them. Truth is, if you're so good that you'll inevitably be "discovered", you likely already have been discovered.

Arguments of "if you don't like it, don't enter" just don't hold water. It's like saying "if you don't like the current government, then ignore them". You can do that, but they will still carry on in their own (potentially destructive) way whether you support them or not. Whether anyone enters this contest or not, asking for free work diminishes artists and the industry as a whole.

archerx
04-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Wow, this site seems to get more anal every day.... geez, lighten up guys.

The problem is not the contest it's self, but how apple handled it to exclude 90% of the people on the next and force you to go through final cut.

ffear
04-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Arguments of "if you don't like it, don't enter" just don't hold water. It's like saying "if you don't like the current government, then ignore them". You can do that, but they will still carry on in their own (potentially destructive) way whether you support them or not. Whether anyone enters this contest or not, asking for free work diminishes artists and the industry as a whole.

If this non-payment creation stuff became standard it would be doom. But hell if 90% of what we all do became standard it would be doom :)

Szos
04-29-2007, 06:38 PM
The problem is not the contest it's self, but how apple handled it to exclude 90% of the people on the next and force you to go through final cut.
See THAT I can see people getting alittle pissed about, but if Apple is the one putting up the funds/resources for this, when honestly what did you expect? If MS was putting up the $, then you know it would have some stipulation that it had to use some kind of MS software.

Also I don't think they specifically mentioned that you HAD TO use FinalCut, right? Just that it has to use some Apple software - in which case encoding it in QT migth be good enough... I honestly don't care enough about the contest to sift through the fineprint to know if that is good enough.

Also for the people that are against this because it is a contest mostly based on getting exposure - food for thought:
There have been counteless threads on this site and others on "Who made so-and-so ad?" or "What company create XYZ video?" You are totaly discounting what exposure can do if your work is very good... and you are totaly discounting how important contacts and having an internationally broadcast clip can be in a demo reel or resume. Many times is not what you know, but who you know - and having a decently popular band use your work is potentially payment enough.

unseenthings
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Also I don't think they specifically mentioned that you HAD TO use FinalCut, right? Just that it has to use some Apple software - in which case encoding it in QT migth be good enough... I honestly don't care enough about the contest to sift through the fineprint to know if that is good enough.
I think what he meant is the fact that no one using a PC can even get to the footage, let alone edit it. Apparently, you have to use quicktime on a mac.

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.