PDA

View Full Version : MB 7 to Maya 8.5 - Does nothing

AdamMechtley
04-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Hello everyone. Though this may be more a Maya issue than MotionBuilder specifically, I figured someone in this forum may have a better idea.

At any rate, I have seen some other posts here and elsewhere regarding issues importing MotionBuilder FBX into Maya, though none match exactly what it happening for me.

I have the latest FBX plugin for Maya, and I can export to FBX perfectly fine. I can likewise re-import such FBX files into Maya. However, when I open the FBX in MotionBuilder and save it from there (whether or not I have animated/plotted, whether binary or ASCII FBX, whether I leave all contents or just strip the file down to animated bones, etc.), Maya does not import it. When I import in Maya, the FBX dialog sometimes does not appear whatsoever, and sometimes it does, I select the take I want to import, and the dialog tells me it is importing the take but it just does nothing. The program continues to respond as normal but the import dialog just sits in place. Sometimes there is no error message at all, and sometimes I get this in the Script Editor output:

file -i "D:/test.fbx";
// Error: print "C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5" ====; //
// Error: Line 1.45: Syntax error //
C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/docs/Maya8.5/en_US/FBX_Maya_Plugins.pdf

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything obvious I may be missing? I appreciate any assistance!

bclark
04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Make sure that your useing the correct settings in the plugin when exporting from maya.. you have to pick what legacy .fbx to export the file, since your going to 7 you will have to tell it that at export.

Also make sure that you have the latest patch of 7 for motionbuilder.

7.5 ex 1 has patchs up to e or f, or something crazy like that so I am sure if you email support they can tell you if there is a patch fix for 7 for you.

two other thigns to try.. do an export to fbx from motionbuilder instead of strip and save.
..pick your skeleton and do file export.. see if it works better for you then. And reinstall the plugin for maya maybe it was a bad install.

if the file was not started in the latest versions and was updated and loaded in to maya/motionbuilder from an older version this can cause weird probelms as well at times...
might be worth doing a clean export and re import of the file in to a fresh maya scene to clear it out of any strangeness that might exist in the file.

hope that helps.
Brad

AdamMechtley
04-26-2007, 06:21 PM
do an export to fbx from motionbuilder instead of strip and save.
..pick your skeleton and do file export.. see if it works better for you then

This did the trick--many thanks, Brad!

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2007, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.