PDA

View Full Version : Question on Apply MentalRay SubD Approx to mesh.

donli1989
04-24-2007, 01:32 AM
I've come a long way working on the Mudbox to Maya process. Now I got a problem right on the last step( I hope): I got a pretty good dismap from MB, applied it to the mesh in Maya. when redering in MR, I got this message after applying MR SubD Approx node to the mesh,"// Error:(Mayatomr.Geometry) : MB_body:Body_mesh_0Shape: polygon mesh can't be exported as a subdivision surface". No matter what method and number I picked for SubD Surface Quality, it had no effect on the mesh and it always rendered out with same number for triangle count in the output box.(I also checked off the feature displacement.)
Could someone here please help me with some suggestions, thank you in advance.

Ash-Man
04-26-2007, 02:22 PM
you must have either tris or n-sided faces
please refer to my video tut (the first one)
I show how to check and prepare the mesh for mental ray rendering

or as a quick fix >> smoth your mesh

donli1989
04-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Thank you Ash-Man. You are right, I exported the mesh from MB at level one (rebuilt UV), then applied the dismap, and the error disappeared.

However, now I got another message says:" // Warning: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : L_boot_SGShape: subdivision surface does not support separate displace approximation, ignored //". Any idea what might the cause?

My character is built up in 5 different meshs: body, cloth(top, botton),boots. As you showed in the video, after assigning the dismap , I applied subD Approx. Node to the body mesh. Then for the rest, I just selected the meshs then assigned the same Approx node to them in the MR Approx. Editor ( instead of creating new Approx nodes for each one of the meshs.) Do you think the message has anything to do with the way I'm assigning the Approx. Node? Thank you in advance.

Also thank you for the wonderful tutorials you put up there, they guided me through so many errors and saved me tons of valuable time. Really appreciate the effort you put into them!

Ash-Man
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
are you sure your mesh is still in ONE piece

when you do OBJ import make sure the setting is to FALSE

donli1989
04-27-2007, 10:57 PM
I tried setting it to False when importing the mesh, but still the same message.
Do you think it might be that I have two separate UV maps for the body mesh instead of one? ( I separated the head from body to give it a higher resolution when painting the texture map.)
Here's my body mesh and UV mapping.
http://i15.tinypic.com/3538ohz.jpg

Ash-Man
04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
having diffrent UV shells is not a big deal
the issue might be that you seprated the mesh (when you shouldn't) or combined it when you shouldn;t
in other words
the mesh has to match the displacment as it was exported from mudbox

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.