PDA

View Full Version : Hardware choices! Again!!

dr.karnage
03-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Sorry for being such a pain in the *ss but I'm really confused about what to buy for my new computer.
It will be a machine for learning CG and gaming purposes.
Unfortunately I'm on a budget so here's what I'm buying soon or some alternatives:

- AMD XP 2200+
- Thermaltake Smart & Silent Volcano 9 (irrelevant for the subject :P)
- 1 DIMM 512 MB Corsair XMS3200 (Mushkin way too expensive)
- MOBO ASUS A7N8X/DELUXE (how much sound features does the deluxe add to the normal A7N8X??)
- Western Digital WD-1200JB 120GB 8MB Cache (or equivalent IBM, no one ever recommends IBM why's that :shrug: )
- Hercules ATI 3D Prophet 9500 Pro 128 MB (or ABIT Siluro GF4 Ti4200-8x or Albatron GF4 Ti4200-8x)
- Antec Plus 1080AMG 430W True Power (or should I go for a more unexpensive Antec 1000AMG 350w, because the only difference is the PSU...)
- Samsung 757NF 17" (or Samtron 51S 15" LCD or LG L1510S 15" LCD)

If you could give me any pointers so I can make the right choices and some ideas about the alternatives I present I would appreciate it.
The main issue is in the 17" CRT or 15" LCD. My budget doesn't allow even the cheapest Samsung LCD.

Thank you for all the help you can give me.

Signal2Noise
03-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Here's my two pennies:

Double the RAM. Not sure what CG apps you plan to buy/learn but you want as much as RAM as you can afford and the system can handle.

Next, go with the CRT over the LCD. Trust me. You'll be disppointed in the LCD especially if you plan to play graphic intensive games like Doom III, Unreal, etc. Also try to go with a minimum of 19" screen size because with CG apps the more screen real estate the better. Once you get serious in CG you may find yourself wanting or getting a second display for all your palettes and such.

Also, decide on which o/s you plan to run. XP Pro or 2000 would be ideal. don't get XP Home as you'll find yourself limited to certain CG apps.

I'm sure others will offer solid advice as well but these are the main points I recommend. Good luck and enjoy.:)

Joel Hooks
03-11-2003, 11:47 PM
17" CRT is still too small, as stated. You can get decent 19" Viewsonics for ~$200. I've used one for a few years, and it's fine. I would like to upgrade to a 22" with a 19" LCD as the 2nd, but that is way out of my league at this point :)

IBM had a big lawsuit against them for their HDs. I was told at Fry's that IBM was getting out of the drive market altogether. I haven't checked that for accuracy. WD and Seagate both make great drives.

I still dig the Nvidia cards myself, but I haven't tried the ATI at all so I am just going with the company I've been with for awhile.

GregHess
03-12-2003, 01:32 AM
(or equivalent IBM, no one ever recommends IBM why's that )

http://www.sheller.com/ibmclassaction.htm

IBM is still under a massive classaction lawsuit for their 75GXP series of drives. These drives destroyed IBM's reliabilty rating for harddrives, undergoing complete and irrepairable failures in timeframes as short as 1-2 months. (For brand new drives).

I'm a big fan of the WDXXXJB series of drives myself. (XXX=any Digit)

- Hercules ATI 3D Prophet 9500 Pro 128 MB (or ABIT Siluro GF4 Ti4200-8x or Albatron GF4 Ti4200-8x)

Depends on app. If all your doing is playing games, the ati card will be great. If your mixing multiple apps and playing games, then the nvidia card will be the superior solution. Really depends on your app of choice however.

- Antec Plus 1080AMG 430W True Power (or should I go for a more unexpensive Antec 1000AMG 350w, because the only difference is the PSU...)

PSU is all the difference in the world. Always pay more $$$ for better PSU's, Ram, and Cooling. Otherwise it'll bite you in the ass later.

- Samsung 757NF 17" (or Samtron 51S 15" LCD or LG L1510S 15" LCD)

I'm an LCD man myself. I see no issues or problems in games or other fast moving situations with them. However, the size your listing is rather small, and I don't believe their DVI-I LCD's (Always go for DVI-I when possible, makes a huge different in contrast/sharpness/response times). With your budget, I'd second the decision on a 19inch CRT...preferably trinitron. (Viewsonic or Sony)

dr.karnage
03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
preferably trinitron. (Viewsonic or Sony)

But don't the trinitron monitors have some kind of artifacts on top of them?

I've read something about it...

PlanetMongo
03-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Just curious, I started another thread just on monitors, but does anyone know anything about trinitron "rebranded" monitors? I've seen some really "good" deals on 21" Sun monitors with Trinitron tubes, but you know what they say about "if it sounds too good to be true..."

Just wondering..

GregHess
03-12-2003, 02:47 PM
But don't the trinitron monitors have some kind of artifacts on top of them?

If your referring to the ap grill lines, then yes. There are usually 2-3 thin lines on a tritron monitor which are used to keep the grill tight. They're not noticable unless you specifically look for them.

There are a variety of advantages to the trinitrons over invar shadow mask monitors. Here's a few...

1) Color reproduction.
2) Tube Flatness (This one's almost N/A now)
3) Sharpness

dr.karnage
03-12-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm thinking in buying an ultra-cool Lian-Li case and keep the Antec 430W True Power :drool:

I really want a nice looking case :p

Thank you for all the help.
You guys rock :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.