PDA

View Full Version : words in particles

Debneyink
04-23-2007, 09:17 PM
i want to spit out different letters that make up a word using particles so they bounce around etc. so my particle system wants to contain the letter e, a ,t so they can collide effectively etc any clues?

so i want to use one particle system but that contains different meshes (in this case texts models)

thanks

charleyc
04-23-2007, 09:40 PM
There are a couple ways to do this. The easiest is to use a Shape Instance, Select the Text object, and check the Object Elements option under Separate Particles For area.

As for collisions, you cannot have true inter-particle collisions in PF yet. PFTools Box2 will have this, but it is still under development with no given ETA so far. You can get a pretty good fake if you use Keep Apart, but if you need anything more accurate, you will have to look into other options.

PsychoSilence
04-23-2007, 09:42 PM
well...correct collision is always a task with particles such as particle flow which you should go for i guess. pflow always attaches shape instances to particles at their pivots and uses the pivots for collision. there´s a particle flow toolbox#3 workaround we already discussed in this thread at orbaz.com: http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1108

how ever i attached a max file for you showing the "common" way of collision. it uses a birht script that ensures the particles in the first event spell the word "eat" right. there´s a non renderable layer called "letters" which contains the original letters because i assume you would like to use a completely different typo :) just open the group, make your changes and close it again. there´s a line converted to an edit poly which has 3 verecies named "guide". this line places the particles.

hope i cleared the fog more then i spreaded new :D if so feel free to ask.

kind regards

anselm

Taf
05-30-2007, 01:33 PM
thank you psychosilence i was struggling with the same effect

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2007, 01:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.