PDA

View Full Version : Box Rig- squash/stretch bend

benjii19
04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi all,

I've made this animation (still unfinished) www.benhealy.com/BOX_SPLINE.mov (http://www.benhealy.com/BOX_SPLINE.mov). I now want to give the box some life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rig (so far) for the box is available here BOXRIG (http://www.benhealy.com/good box.mb). I'd recommend looking at this to see how much of a porr effort I've made so far.

- I wanted to add a little life to the box and introduce some Squash/Stretch, and also some BENDINESS. Apart from that I dont quite know how to go about it. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very greatfull. I'm no rigger so go gently on the technical stuff even though I'm sure I'll need it as with 3d animation nothing seems to be simple.

Thanks for your help

Ben

blurgh
04-24-2007, 11:17 AM
hey man, i liked your animtion :D
theres actually i nece box rig on highend 3D for maya at the moment might be worth taking a look under the hood of that. I think it uses bend and squash deformers!

ta,

-Tobes

Ollarin
04-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey man! You animation looks cool, great work!

And like Darken said, i made a box rig which is on highend3D (Box Rig File (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/character_rigs/Johnny-The-Box-4646.html))
Basically, it's just made from non linear deformers, like the squash, bend, and twist deformers.

Easy to set up (Took one hour for that rig) and it seems pretty usable and stable from tests.The tricky part it setting the heirachy in such a way that you don't get double transforms.

benjii19
04-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey all glad you like the anim so far.

As for using non linear deformers this would be a great idea however the flaps currently work using joints so I have no idea how I would set up deformers with joints.

Keep the ideas coming, Cheers

Ben

Ollarin
04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Actually, you can constrain deformers to your box flap joints.

The trick is to put your deformers under a group, that group doesn't need to be parented to any object in the scene. I usually put all the deformers, clusters, etc. Into a "noTouchy_GRP" group. And then contrain the deformers to the object i need it to follow, that way, it won't have double transforms.

Downloading your file now, will try to whip up an example soon.

Ollarin
04-28-2007, 11:34 AM
M'ello!

Sorry for the delay, been so busy with university these past few weeks. :/

Anyways, i finally got time to sit down and do this today. Heres a quick example i whipped up.
Also, i only realised just as i'm typing this post that i didn't add any bend to it. The theory is still the same for the bend though.

benjii19
04-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks I've only had a quick look, But what I really was after was a way for the flaps to follow when the bend is applied, and the squash. If you squash the box this way the rotation of the flaps isn't as accurate.

Sorry got to go but I'll try explain more later

thanks

BEN

benjii19
04-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi,
I want to try and get this done using Joints. I have looked into deformers on this but I don't think they work to what I'm trying to achieve. You may need to look at the file to understand what I explain further on in the post.

BOXRIG (http://www.benhealy.com/BOX_RIGv1.mb)

I was thinking I could somehow use the base control on my box to scale in Y, then for the bend I could just rotate the Mid CTRL or Top CTRL. However this doesn't actally work since scaling everything in Y means that when you rotate a CTRL it is slightly disproportionate to what it should be. Hope that made sense.

I also know that If i Constrain the Mid CTRL to the TOP CTRL and BASE CTRL the squash stretch works as the Mid CTRL says in the middle and moves in proportion, but as it has Constraints on it the Mid CTRL can't be animated. Therefore I can't Bend the rig.

I'm getting to the point where I may get someone to look at doing this if anyone fancies it. But at the same time I'd like to solve this problem as I need to apply it to something else. The whole Idea of this is that the top of the hierachy (flaps rigged with joints) follow any kind of deformation, eg TWIST,BEND,SQUASH.

Thanks for your time, I'm not trying to dismiss anything that has been said about deformers I just feel that maybe figuring this way out might help me out.

Ben

Ollarin
04-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Ah. I see what you mean.

I'll try to fool around with some methods and come up with something. This would be a good method to figure out for future reference too.

So, basically, you want it to squash, and stretch, and bend proportionally (The flaps) while it's squashed/stretched?

benjii19
04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Hey AdrmiralRa thanks for sticking with this. I dont acutally want anything doing to the flaps so here is a quick doodle to try and show you what I mean.

The picture I've atatched show this in extreme examples really, just to make it clear. I don't want to go over the top with the exageration.
http://www.benhealy.com/BOX.jpg

-By proportional I was talking about the 3 joints in the main box, you move the top one and the middle one stays in the middle.

Cheers

Ollarin
04-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Awesome! I see what you mean. I will try to whip something up tonight!

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2007, 11:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.