PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Cryptite
04-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the too-large Fume FX thread on CGtalk. Throughout this thread you'll find a wealth of information about Fume FX, scripts, methodologies, tricks, tips, general shenanigans, and more.

On the rare occasion that I get the chance to update this post, you'll find a general list of links to random topics about Fume. For the most part, until I update this list again, you're probably better off searching through the forum with the search tool.

In the meantime, feel free to browse below for links to off-site pages about Fume and in-thread posts. Happy fuming!

Quick Links
■ Fume FX Site (http://www.afterworks.com/FumeFX.asp?ID=11) - Homepage
■ Fume CGWiki Page (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/FumeFX) - Wiki-page for all things FumeFX. Soon to be a good source for Fume examples, gradients etc.
■ Fume FX Properties (http://www.community.ro/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45:fumefx-properties&catid=34:fume-fx&Itemid=50#josc169) - Great demo of Fume parameters and what they do

Table of Contents for the thread:
Format
Topic
Post Number (Link to Page)

-General-

■ About Fume: 31 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=3&pp=15), 181 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=13&pp=15)

■ Using with PFlow: 42 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=3&pp=15)

■ Network Simulations: 152 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=11&pp=15)

■ Fume Sources Script: 460 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=31&pp=15)

-Effects-

■ Jet of Smoke: 126 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=9&pp=15)

■ Man on Fire: 242 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=17&pp=15), 253 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=17&pp=15)

■ Plane on Fire: 312 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=21&pp=15)

■ Asteroid in Space: 349 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=24&pp=15)

■ Fire Extinguisher: 401 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=27&pp=15)

-Cryptite

Glacierise
04-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Man, this looks sweet! It's a bummer they still don't have a demo out :(

Could you guys that post smokey stuff, not use black backgrounds? It hides the smoke details.

Cryptite
04-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Normally I do use greyer backgrounds when smoke is present. I forgot to mention that there are no smoke channels in that animation, just fire. I'll make sure I don't use black bg's though.

feldy
04-23-2007, 10:43 PM
i had brought this up when fume was first release that we should have a thread but i got shot down by a greedy moderator :) anyways i was on the demo before it was released testing it. Im sure you could give them a email and still get the dl for it. i acutally tried to make a fire tornado out of it didnt turn out like i thought and was not as easy as aftureburn in terms of ease of use and things like that but defintly a good buy when dumb particles wont work - J

Cryptite
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
It surely does seem to have a steeper learning curve, but when you want to do wispy fire/smoke, and even once you learn it well enough, detailed explosions, It really becomes handy.

rebolt
04-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Nice explosion Cryptite :). It would be good if we could discuss every possibilities for fumefx here in this thread and make this an official thread for the fluid engine. In this explosion what all parameters you have worked on ?

jigu
04-24-2007, 04:56 AM
well that seems, with fumefx we can do cool fluid fx explosions.
my question is : what is better in terms of controls and setup? fumefx or AB?

TimWoods
04-24-2007, 05:40 AM
good idea on the thread, although please consider imputting into the CGFluids forum too, as its official support and its for registered users only.

I think demo users can get temp access, you will have to ask.

Maybe you can copy any useful stuff over there, so others can benefit?

Cryptite
04-24-2007, 05:53 AM
@rebolt: Virtually all the settings were changed around from, say, the default ones for that explosion. I'll try to have an example downloadable scene up for it within a couple of days. I'm still working on it though, so I might have a better looking one by then.

@jigu: Comparing AB and Fume FX is kind of apples and oranges. Each certainly has its use and the only real blurred line between the two, i'd say, would be explosions and smoke. Go figure that's a major part of the two, but the thickness and scale of things are good things to consider, unless you have a powerful renderfarm in which scale means nothing. Thick smoke tends to do better in AB and so do super-huge explosions, but I have seen clips from Roman Schmidt that rival AB explosions easily, so it's really up to the end-user. Personally, I haven't touched AB since I started using Fume.

@TimWoods: I included a link to CGFluids on my initial post just for that reason. I understand it has a lot more valuable information, but more public threads like these, in my opinion, can stem interest in a plugin because people can see the kind of work being done with it. The CGFluids community, while valuable, is totally private to Fume FX users only, and even though there's a gallery to the public on the forums, they rarely showcase much. The Afterburn thread worked in the same way, I know a couple people who actually purchased it after seeing more in-depth look at how it works and what it does. At any rate, i'll be more informative about that link so that others know more about it.

rebolt
04-24-2007, 06:21 AM
@cryptite: Yeah that would be great if you could post the scene by which we can get an idea. :)
I completely agree with you after watching Roman Schimdt showreel in which he showcases all his explosions and fire tests fumefx is coming in a big time competing afterburn and i think it will beat afterburn specially where real simulation is concerned.

SoLiTuDe
04-24-2007, 06:34 AM
I love the idea of this thread... the cgfluids forum is great and has helped me tons, but cgtalk is my home :) I'll glady post up help and all sorts of stuff up here as soon as I get a break at work. :) Woody is the man just so you all know -- majorly smart!

I find that fume is great for fire/smoke, but really hard to get the big fireball style explosions. Like you guys mentioned Roman has some really good examples, and hopefully he'll step in some time and let us know the secret. I had to skip using fume for explosions for the time being at work because it's simply too slow (damn deadlines)... at least for what I was attempting. In 1 day I got with pflow/aburn what it took me a week NOT to get in fume. It's not quite the same, but either way I unfortunately can't show you guys that stuff yet :) I promise though that I'll start doing more stuff on my own time!

--hope this becomes a sticky and hope the aura thread un-stickies

Glacierise
04-24-2007, 07:24 AM
I think demo users can get temp access, you will have to ask.

Demo users? I thought that there is no FumeFx demo yet?

JohnnyRandom
04-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Demo users? I thought that there is no FumeFx demo yet?

There is a demo version in my account on the "files" page. I seem to remeber Sitni Sati released it quite some time ago. Maybe email them to get a demo.

jigu
04-24-2007, 03:46 PM
@jigu: Comparing AB and Fume FX is kind of apples and oranges. Each certainly has its use and the only real blurred line between the two, i'd say, would be explosions and smoke. Go figure that's a major part of the two, but the thickness and scale of things are good things to consider, unless you have a powerful renderfarm in which scale means nothing. Thick smoke tends to do better in AB and so do super-huge explosions, but I have seen clips from Roman Schmidt that rival AB explosions easily, so it's really up to the end-user. Personally, I haven't touched AB since I started using Fume.

Thanks for the info.so at the larger scale, for bigger and thicker smoke puffs/ explosions, AB is cool and for smaller scale fumefx could be good.

Glacierise
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Sweet! Will write them!

feldy
04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
As far as the demo goes i wish it woulda just been a timed lic instead of not being able to save and so on. at the time it was casueing problems with my ab lic at work and casueing it not to work right so I eventually had to un install it. Now if we can get the magical mr mckay here to do a new dvd since it was released finally maybe we can could get a better understanding of it.

SoLiTuDe
04-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info.so at the larger scale, for bigger and thicker smoke puffs/ explosions, AB is cool and for smaller scale fumefx could be good.

Absolutely correct here guys! --I've been trying to do a big explosion for days and it acts like it's a small explosion anyway, there's A LOT of tweaking involved to get it right... or even close for that matter.

PS: I would love to do some tutorials soon... hopefully better than the ones that fume came with. I feel like I"m getting a much better understanding of it now that I'm working with it daily.

TimWoods
04-24-2007, 05:33 PM
@TimWoods: I included a link to CGFluids on my initial post just for that reason. I understand it has a lot more valuable information, but more public threads like these, in my opinion, can stem interest in a plugin because people can see the kind of work being done with it. The CGFluids community, while valuable, is totally private to Fume FX users only, and even though there's a gallery to the public on the forums, they rarely showcase much. The Afterburn thread worked in the same way, I know a couple people who actually purchased it after seeing more in-depth look at how it works and what it does. At any rate, i'll be more informative about that link so that others know more about it.

sure. I know what you mean. info about the product is in short supply. Sorry to sound like i'm always going on about it, LOL, but just trying to get more people posting on there. Keep this one going tho.

as for large scale stuff. fume can do well there too. much more realistic, but as mentioned it depends on your setup really. RAM and sim times are all a factor.

I love the idea of this thread... the cgfluids forum is great and has helped me tons, but cgtalk is my home :) I'll glady post up help and all sorts of stuff up here as soon as I get a break at work. :) Woody is the man just so you all know -- majorly smart!

i would disagree on that point, the dude is an ass! :thumbsup:

Cryptite
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
as for large scale stuff. fume can do well there too. much more realistic, but as mentioned it depends on your setup really. RAM and sim times are all a factor.

Agreed. I've been tackling large-scale stuff recently. It's definitely a load on my cpu, but Fume is doing quite nicely. I'm especially trying to the kind of stuff i'd normally do in AB; thick smoke, large explosions and the like. My computer is, however, less than happy with me. :D

I will say that there is thing i'm kind of annoyed with regarding Fume, and it's how the small tweaking of one setting can send your simulation off into oblivion. Almost too many settings that rely on each other to be proportional to get what you want in my opinion.

TimWoods
04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
yeah. you need lots of RAM and lots of patience. but the effects are worth it. One rule of thumb I always work to is not letting my grid reach more than 1000 cubic, so 300x300x300. it seems like thats the golden number for me with a full 4gb of RAM. A nice idea would be a RAM usuage estimator, I have asked if that could be implimented. To give an idea before you hit go.

yes the tweaking of settings is painful, another thing is quality, that really effects the sim effect. smoke only, with low quality moves alot, crank the quality and grid size up, it moves alot slower. So simmin with low settings to get an idea is a pain, as the final outcome is alot different in many cases.

SoLiTuDe
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Agreed. I've been tackling large-scale stuff recently. It's definitely a load on my cpu, but Fume is doing quite nicely. I'm especially trying to the kind of stuff i'd normally do in AB; thick smoke, large explosions and the like. My computer is, however, less than happy with me. :D

I will say that there is thing i'm kind of annoyed with regarding Fume, and it's how the small tweaking of one setting can send your simulation off into oblivion. Almost too many settings that rely on each other to be proportional to get what you want in my opinion.

Quoted for full agreement. :thumbsup:

Cryptite
04-24-2007, 05:42 PM
yeah. you need lots of RAM and lots of patience. but the effects are worth it. One rule of thumb I always work to is not letting my grid reach more than 1000 cubic, so 300x300x300. it seems like thats the golden number for me with a full 4gb of RAM. A nice idea would be a RAM usuage estimator, I have asked if that could be implimented. To give an idea before you hit go.

That's a good idea. I'm unfortunately working on 2gb RAM and a 1 core processor (3.2ghz), and not as much patience :p. However, I have a ton of x-mas money saved and a birthday coming up, so i'm doing a rather huge cpu upgrade this summer. That RAM thing would be wonderful.

Cryptite
04-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Thought i'd post this random screengrab. I think this might actually be the longest render i've had yet on any fume shot (4m29s). But I guess once you actually ramp up the settings to get the detail, patience is the part that kicks in.
http://www.elysium3d.com/images/fumefx/smoketrail.jpg

I find myself constantly using the preset manager so i can import bits of other fume presets i've made, always switchin stuff in and out. It's a handy little feature.

PsychoSilence
04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
looks sweet! woody posted some nice scenes quite similar to your scene grab.

gotta love presets! i´m the preset nazi :D especially for flows.

zglows
04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
PS: I would love to do some tutorials soon... hopefully better than the ones that fume came with. I feel like I"m getting a much better understanding of it now that I'm working with it daily.

Yeeeeah make them please...
Fume requires patience and kills your machine for a lot of time you could be doing something cool... but it's worth it i guess

JohnnyRandom
04-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Yeeeeah make them please...
Fume requires patience and kills your machine for a lot of time you could be doing something cool... but it's worth it i guess

Simtime = sleeptime :)

overnights the only way to go, when it takes longer than a night, pause the sim, works on something else, end of the day, reload the scene and continue the sim;)

THAT is of course assuming one ever goes to sleep:D

Cryptite
04-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Definitely. Work on your sim, get it how you like it on low-quality settings. Ramp up the sim precision and quality and let it run overnight. Let simmer for a few hours, come back for wonderful results!

Cryptite
04-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Oh dear double post. Looks like it really is time for me to go to bed... Too much Fume for me today.

SoLiTuDe
04-25-2007, 04:58 AM
Definitely. Work on your sim, get it how you like it on low-quality settings. Ramp up the sim precision and quality and let it run overnight. Let simmer for a few hours, come back for wonderful results!

One problem i've come across is that when using particles as a source the size is very dependent on the grid size that you use...hence creating some wierd issues with using low quality grids with particle sources. I find that(depending on what I need) using a lot of smaller particles as sources will work better than few with larger radii, but then I need to use a small grid size for it to work -- and that kills my sim times. :)

jigu
04-25-2007, 05:46 AM
though i have one question : there are many plugins which do fluid stuff in 3ds max.. one thing is common that all needs to run simulation to generate fluid motion from their own particle system. so is there any specific approach that fluid application uses their own particle system and needed to run simulation? Is it becoz of pflow doesn't have operator which can simulate fluid motion or is it becoz of deflectors or spacewarps limitation?
please excuse me if this question sounds dumb!

SoLiTuDe
04-25-2007, 05:56 AM
though i have one question : there are many plugins which do fluid stuff in 3ds max.. one thing is common that all needs to run simulation to generate fluid motion from their own particle system. so is there any specific approach that fluid application uses their own particle system and needed to run simulation? Is it becoz of pflow doesn't have operator which can simulate fluid motion or is it becoz of deflectors or spacewarps limitation?
please excuse me if this question sounds dumb!

No question is dumb! :) There actually AREN'T very many fluid plugins for max... basically just fumefx and glu3d with realflow having an import plugin.... pflow for instance does not have the dynamics solvers built in to handle particles properly/realisticly interacting between each other to mimic fluids the way glu3d or realflow does. Glu3d and Realflow use a particle based system where each particle is aware of each particle around it... Fume actually does not use particles, rather it uses a grid of voxels that have values that propagate through one another, kind of like a particle would push another one next to it in a sim like realflow: except in fume you have a voxel sending information like velocity and temperature information into the next voxel.

Generating "fluid" motion from pflow isn't really the same as fluid dynamics when you start using space warps and such because each particle is it's own entity unaware of the one next to it. Even using the keep apart operator and even with box3 writing an operator that can do that more accurately still isn't the same as a fluids solver. ...hopefully soon though with maybe box 2, pflow will have some of the added physics stuff (like thinking particles) but that's a whole different topic almost.

Hope that explains it a little bit... this is a very dumbed down version, but should give a basic understanding I think. :)

JohnnyRandom
04-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Sitni Sati Releases FumeFX 1.0a today.

Check your accounts.

Updates + two free simulation licenses.

Sitni Sati rocks!

-John

SoLiTuDe
04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Time for a happy dance! Couldn't have come at a better time!

TimWoods
04-26-2007, 06:34 PM
:bounce: sweeet. thanks for the heads up. not sure why i didnt get a update email or somehting

SoLiTuDe
04-26-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't think anybody got an announcement. Looks like they added that ram usage thing though which is nice. Hopefully they add a release doc for it soon so I can see all of what was updated.

Steve Green
04-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi,

anyone having problems with this update?

I get a duplicate plugin ID error when I installed it, but I can't seem to track down what is causing the problem (this is Max 8, and I have Dreamscape and Afterburn on the same machine)

Thanks,

Steve

SoLiTuDe
04-26-2007, 10:05 PM
which plugin file? ...i accidentaly installed the sim only one and that caused a dup. id on my machine, so I deleted that folder (installed to a dif. folder) and installed the FULL one instead, and now it works fine.

Steve Green
04-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi,

it's Afterworks.dlu.

Although Fusionworks also throws up an error if you keep clicking OK.

Uninstalling FFX doesn't seem to make a difference, afterworks.dlu is still giving a duplicate ID error.

I tried the ver 9 FFX and that works great (I think it has a different installer though)

I've e-mailed Kresimir - hopefully we can sort it out tomorrow. Luckily I'm not doing anything at the moment that requires those plugins, and there's always 9.

The new update certainly seems to be a lot nippier at calculation on my dual Xeon - I'd love to see it on an 8-core machine :)

- Steve

SoLiTuDe
04-27-2007, 12:49 AM
I remember there being some wierd issues with afterburn and dreamscape -- but all updates should have fixed that, and fume should really affect either of those... unless there is actually two of the file somewhere in there. Double check all of your plugin folders (even though I'm sure you have). :)

Yeah I noticed a speed increase, and now with the sim licenses I can sim over on a much faster computer.

--Ian

feldy
04-27-2007, 01:51 AM
yea i was testing the demo for them at work and i was getting the same issue duplicate ids. once i got it working it was fine for about a day and a half i was testing a sim it was done i had something else to do so i shut max down when i went back to max afterburn lic was totaly ****ered emails went back and forth and i needed more ab then fume so fume had to go. -Jeremy

Cryptite
04-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Afternoon boys. Sorry I haven't been able to post up an example explosion scene due to work/school + trying to get one to look better. One a more larger scale, however, I've been creating a nuclear explosion for a friend of mine. I've been having some trouble getting more 'bulbousness' of the cloud shape. So I pose this question to ye of higher fume learning, how does one make this look more nuclear explosive-like. The scale is rather large, but the look of it makes it seem smaller and more liquidy.

Here's a screengrab:

http://www.elysium3d.com/images/fumefx/nuke.jpg

Daniel-B
04-30-2007, 05:40 PM
To go along with Crytite's question above, I am using his nuclear simulation to run particles through the fluid. I want to run particles through the fluid, but it will not let me. I think I have done everything I'm supposed to, but I'm not sure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/PixelMagic/Pflow_Fume.jpg

SoLiTuDe
04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
PixelMagic: Make sure fume is exporting velocity info too... in the general tab --> exporting channels. :)

feldy
04-30-2007, 08:20 PM
what was the sim times on that?

Daniel-B
04-30-2007, 09:21 PM
what was the sim times on that?

On my computer, about 3 hours.

PartiallyFrozen
05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
pixelmagic: You also need to add a fumefx birth. Also you dont need anything but this to get your particles to move (and the velocity channel):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/488895628_bf29b92657.jpg

Also you can add in the materials and what not to give it color.

Mark

SoLiTuDe
05-07-2007, 09:45 PM
pixelmagic: You also need to add a fumefx birth. Also you dont need anything but this to get your particles to move (and the velocity channel):

Also you can add in the materials and what not to give it color.

Mark

The fumefx birth is not actually required to make pflow follow fume, however it is if you want it to create particles based on fume parameters.

...however in looking at pixelmagic's flow more closely removing the speed operator would also be smart, as the fume follow will actually control the speed. Also the multiplier need to be adjusted based on the time scale I believe.

PartiallyFrozen
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Solitude: I agree, but i would expect him to want to utilize the Smoke and Fire channels. Thats why i was going with that approch. But yes you are correct in the fact that the birth isn't always needed (plus it seems to add a bit of overhead). But both ways can acheive the same effect. One tool, 300 ways..yeaaa!! haha.

Daniel-B
05-07-2007, 11:14 PM
I've got it working now. Thanks guys.

joconnell
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
For the afterworks thing it's down to the installers - fume as its own afterworks.dlu that it puts into the plugins/afterworks/common files folder and afterburn has an afterworks.dlu that goes into plugins - I just rename the afterburn.blu in plugins to afterburn.bak since it's an older version and then make sure that the afterworks common entry in plugin.ini is before both fume and ab. No more errors.

SoLiTuDe
05-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Solitude: I agree, but i would expect him to want to utilize the Smoke and Fire channels. Thats why i was going with that approch. But yes you are correct in the fact that the birth isn't always needed (plus it seems to add a bit of overhead). But both ways can acheive the same effect. One tool, 300 ways..yeaaa!! haha.

Yeah totally depends on the effect! I did this without using fume for the birth... www.innersolitude.com/teapotfume.mov (http://www.innersolitude.com/teapotfume.mov) (this was my first krak test) I've noticed that using fume for the birth can make some of the stuff kind of pop a bit when it's born if the grid detail is too low... but it makes for nicer volume

getrad
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
does anyone here have any idea how to control subframe sampling in a reasonable way within fumefx/particle flow? for example, i have an object moving through the fume sim box fairly quickly, and it's emitting from particles on it's surface. i'm loading the fume sim into particle flow with a fume birth operator followed by a fume follow; both referencing the fume sim box. then, when i render, the particle emitters are emitting in spurts like i need to increase my subframe samples.

changing the particle flow subframe steps from frame to 1/4 frame slows the render down, but has little effect on the final image.

i'm currently trying to sim the scene again with the steps set to 4, so each frame calculates the fume with 4 steps. obviously, this is taking 4 times longer to run :(

is there an easier way to smooth out the results?

i apologoze if this is a silly question, i'm still fairly new to using fume.

SoLiTuDe
05-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Is your fume sim using a time scale other than 1? ...the fumefx operators need their multipliers or influence (forget which exactly) set according to the time scale or something like that. :)

Also: for fast moving object add more simulation steps in the fumefx dialog

cester
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm trying to make some simulation with fume fx.
I don't understand what Fluid mapping is, and how i can use it.

getrad
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Is your fume sim using a time scale other than 1? ...the fumefx operators need their multipliers or influence (forget which exactly) set according to the time scale or something like that. :)

Also: for fast moving object add more simulation steps in the fumefx dialog

Thanks, Solitude.
The time scale is set to 1.0 in the simulation dialog. I can't find any time step settings in the Fume PF operators and the influence spinner is a percentage value....not very intuitive

I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the global particle flow integration steps would, for the most part, control the subframe evaluation of the entire particle flow. So, my logic in running the sim with Fume's simulation steps set to 4 (evaluating the fume sim each 1/4 frame) is that when I set particle flow's integration step to 1/4 frame it could utilize the subframe data correctly on each quarter frame. Unfortunately, beyond slowing down both the sim and the render, there is little change in the render and visually I am still seeing particles birthing on each frame and not in between....resulting in particle "spurts" in the render.

My understanding was that the time scale value in the Fume simulation settings would essentially offset the fluid motion kind of like a multiplier. I'll give it a shot though.

SoLiTuDe
05-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Getrad: Crazyness dude... i think you passed with flying colors. I've no idea why it would do this. If you simmed with 4 steps then you've def. done your part in ensuring that you have enough detail and such for it to work properly. What does the velocity look like if you view it in the fume grid? ..maybe there is just a limit on how fast you can move something through the grid. yes, the multipliers / influence do offset that, but they are directly affected by what the time scale is.

http://www.afterworks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=252

getrad
05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Getrad: Crazyness dude... i think you passed with flying colors. I've no idea why it would do this. If you simmed with 4 steps then you've def. done your part in ensuring that you have enough detail and such for it to work properly. What does the velocity look like if you view it in the fume grid? ..maybe there is just a limit on how fast you can move something through the grid. yes, the multipliers / influence do offset that, but they are directly affected by what the time scale is.

http://www.afterworks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=252

thanks again, solitude

still waiting for authorization on the forum. in the meantime, i've had a fair bit of success by applying a variety of forces to the particles after the fume follow operator in particle flow. the result solves the subframe sampling issue for the most part, but the results become quite muddy....the variation in motion required to smooth the subframe "empty spaces" essentially kills the beauty that comes from the fume sim....

for now i'll use the fume sim to generate the majority of what i need and then use a standard pflow setup to get the emission area working better....comped together, the result is much more acceptable, but it would look WAAAAYYY better if all the particle motion could be derived through the fume simulation.

cheers

TTYO
05-15-2007, 03:50 AM
Does Fumefx support Mental Ray in max?

PiXeL_MoNKeY
05-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Currently none of the Afterworks products support Mental Ray. This invloves afterworks making a translator and MR specific versions of their tools. I think this is going to be addressed at some point, but how and when is currently unknown. All standard plugin renderers should work with it as expected (Brazil, fR, Vray, etc).

-Eric

Yuzrass
05-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Hi, I'm new to Fumefx. So far I kindda know the general concept of how Fumefx works and had done few simple fire test and it was cool!! The only thing I am trying to figure out is how do I make the fire to stop burning at let say 100 frame of the animation. Stop burning meaning the fire start to die out after frame 100. So far the solution that I had comeout with is to make the opacity of the fire to go 0 at frame 100 but I still think there is a way to make the flame die out dramaticly.

SoLiTuDe
05-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi, I'm new to Fumefx. So far I kindda know the general concept of how Fumefx works and had done few simple fire test and it was cool!! The only thing I am trying to figure out is how do I make the fire to stop burning at let say 100 frame of the animation. Stop burning meaning the fire start to die out after frame 100. So far the solution that I had comeout with is to make the opacity of the fire to go 0 at frame 100 but I still think there is a way to make the flame die out dramaticly.

Animate the fuel/temperature settings in the source.

SoLiTuDe
05-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey Guys: thought i'd share what I found with ya.. this guy is doing some great stuff with fume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI

HiQ Version:

http://www.radioactive3d.de/anim/fumefx_reel_divx661_40megs.avi

amckay
05-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey guys http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=7276914&siteID=123112 the autodesk masters nominees are up, both Pete Draper and I are on there looks like a pretty cool list this year!

Are you guys going to siggraph? I just agreed to come on to do a masterclass again this year, so looks like I'll be partying it up in San Diego this year ;)

amckay
05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Solitude, yeah dude that guys works great. he available for freelance? I might hit him up - I have several big fume fx productions happening soon. Starting look dev on a big vampire movie that puts blade to shame :)

SoLiTuDe
05-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Yupp... I vote twice! (two computers!) :D Good luck to everybody on there I'm really happy with the list they came up with... but that makes it a lot harder to vote.

I'll prob be going this year -- for those of you who don't know I'll be moving to LA within the month. Got a position at a pretty well known studio :) I'll let you guys figure out who though.

We'll have to party it up.... what classes are you teaching this year and is there a link to buy a spot yet?

I've no idea if he's avail for anything -- just did a youtube search for fume and that showed up. =) You can get to his webpage here: http://gallery.radioactive3d.de/

feldy
05-23-2007, 05:05 PM
yea pretty cool stuff there.

amckay
05-23-2007, 05:12 PM
congrats solitude, can I take a guess and say it has 4 digits in the name? haha if so then cool mate, I'll have to stop by next time I'm in LA and say g'day. if it's not that one then I'll still have to stop by and say g'day ;)

SoLiTuDe
05-23-2007, 05:16 PM
congrats solitude, can I take a guess and say it has 4 digits in the name? haha if so then cool mate, I'll have to stop by next time I'm in LA and say g'day. if it's not that one then I'll still have to stop by and say g'day ;)

Thanks Allan ...that's a mighty good guess. :)

JohnnyRandom
05-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey Guys: thought i'd share what I found with ya.. this guy is doing some great stuff with fume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI

HiQ Version:

http://www.radioactive3d.de/anim/fumefx_reel_divx661_40megs.avi

Pretty smokin' :D

Cryptite
05-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Hah, awesome, Solitude, i'm a big fan of "them." Congratulations, bud.

Sorry I haven't posted any of my fume work lately but I've had a lot of cpu problems lately. Nonetheless, I have a new computer up and running. Intel Core 2 Quad (4 cores), 4GB RAM, and a GeForce 8800GTS. Needless to say, holy crap does it render fast...

Got you folks votes in there too for the Masters. Well done work all around to you and Pete; I've bought and learned quite a few things from you two nerds :D

Daniel-B
05-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Got you folks votes in there too for the Masters. Well done work all around to you and Pete; I've bought and learned quite a few things from you two nerds :D

As have I. I still suck at particles, though. Ha.

JohnnyRandom
05-25-2007, 12:17 AM
As have I. I still suck at particles, though. Ha.

i'll second those sentiments :D

rebolt
05-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Congratulations Solitude for the job in LA. Let us know about the studio once you will be there. :)
I already voted for the Max Masters although i knew whom i should vote and no doubt about that master of FX.:thumbsup:

feldy
05-25-2007, 08:18 PM
hey solitude,

if you need a drinking buddy or a tour guide lol let me know once your here my studio is like 25 minutes from venice. im in the valley not the nice part over the hill were your gunna be working. cheers -J

PsychoSilence
05-25-2007, 08:21 PM
hey solitude,

if you need a drinking buddy or a tour guide lol let me know once your here my studio is like 25 minutes from venice. im in the valley not the nice part over the hill were your gunna be working. cheers -J

i smell binge drinking during sigg!!!

feldy
05-25-2007, 08:23 PM
hey allan while your around, do you have any good methods to use with fume's color graident system. it seems ti be a little different on how its being used vs the afterburn way.

SoLiTuDe
05-25-2007, 08:27 PM
ooohhh man! I'm getting so excited now! I just keep knowing of more people that I'm gonna be hanging out with... it's like I don't know anybody down there, but I do! :) I love beer, and it seems like everybody else does too... and I'm always down for a beer!

When Anselm gets down there we can give him a tour of the bathroom so he knows where to puke when he's had a little too much. :) ...he could totally out drink me any day though... i'm a total lightweight

mir-vadim
05-25-2007, 08:31 PM
"a pretty well known studio", "4 digits in the name", "25 minutes from venice", hey, wait a minute, my goal for next few years is to get job at this studio. Congratulations and hope we will work together in one day. Really happy for You.

SoLiTuDe
05-25-2007, 08:32 PM
"a pretty well known studio", "4 digits in the name", "25 minutes from venice", hey, wait a minute, my goal for nex few years is to get job at this studio. Congratulations and hope we will work together in one day. Really happy for You.

Well with that badass script you've got I don't think it'll be too hard for ya. :thumbsup:

PsychoSilence
05-25-2007, 08:46 PM
one big family one day! :D

pretty keen on getting a tour! that´s why i wanna stay for 2 weeks instead of only one during sigg in san diego ;)...i gonna invade ian´s house HAHAHAHAH!

@ mir: the tools dept. at blur gonna love you ;)

SoLiTuDe
05-25-2007, 09:00 PM
one big family one day! :D

pretty keen on getting a tour! that´s why i wanna stay for 2 weeks instead of only one during sigg in san diego ;)...i gonna invade ian´s house HAHAHAHAH!

@ mir: the tools dept. at blur gonna love you ;)

LOL I look forward to it!

mir-vadim
05-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Blur Studio? No, no, I thought it was PORN studio. That’s my goal.

Oh, Psycho, You crashed my dream.

SoLiTuDe
05-25-2007, 09:14 PM

LOL.. yeah... you're gonna have to work out if you wanna work there, mir. :thumbsup:

Cryptite
05-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Doh! Totally should've signed up to go to Siggraph this year; what was I thinkin ;[

Edit. But I will be 21 next year when i go!:scream:

feldy
05-25-2007, 11:14 PM
when do you start at down here?

SoLiTuDe
05-25-2007, 11:16 PM
when do you start at down here?

Middle of June ...still trying to find a place to live :banghead: <-- it's really not that bad -- we're finding places

Edit: we should really get back to fume in this thread :)

feldy
05-25-2007, 11:46 PM
lol yea it is the offical fume thread. lol try westsiderentals.com i had to use that when i had to move from chicago no one wanted to rent to me being there they all said call me when you get here. but none the less i took a studio and upgraded after i got here.

SoLiTuDe
05-25-2007, 11:52 PM
no one wanted to rent to me being there they all said call me when you get here.

I KNOW! WTF IS UP WITH THAT! Doin the westside rentals thing now... helps a lot.

Anyways back to fume! I've really been wanting to make a tutorial or two for it, but I've been so busy with work, (and now I'm moving) and haven't even had the time to go buy a simple mic to record with. :sad: So who knows when it'll happen... but I really am trying guys!

PeteDraper
05-26-2007, 07:51 PM

that's next door... :D

PsychoSilence
05-26-2007, 10:33 PM
hey pete! wil you be at sigg this year? i guess an aussie, an english man, a german and a few americans would make a "we drink the bar dry" bunch...

PeteDraper
05-26-2007, 11:09 PM
fingers crossed, yeah I'll be there... just gotta sort out work deadlines at the mo... ack!

Pete

amckay
05-29-2007, 02:34 AM
Just throw the irish in and we have a good solid drinking team ! I'll see if I can get ruari or John O'connel out!

should be good fun this year

Glacierise
05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
This thread has the most awesome gathering of CG people, ever :D And... I got my FumeFX demo today! Time to rock!

BrandonD
05-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I finally got to do some testing with FumeFX for a change. Holy cow, it's impressive and well thought-out.

Steve Green
05-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Yep, it's very swish - I was pleasantly surprised with the render times as well.

- Steve

BrandonD
05-29-2007, 07:18 PM
It's particularly intriguing to me as we've got an in-house system that does the same thing, and while it's got far more control, it's much more complicated and time consuming to work with. This is a very nice option for quick and simple fluid problems.

Steve Green
05-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I've not really got a frame of reference to speak of, but it seems to be pretty impressive for a v1 of a product.

Like you say, it's always nice to have options.

It will be interesting to see what comes up in the next releases of Dreamscape and Afterburn as well.

Cheers,

Steve

SoLiTuDe
05-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I've not really got a frame of reference to speak of, but it seems to be pretty impressive for a v1 of a product.

Like you say, it's always nice to have options.

It will be interesting to see what comes up in the next releases of Dreamscape and Afterburn as well.

Cheers,

Steve

In my little experience with maya fluids, fumefx kicks the crap out of it especially in speed... calc and render espcially. The only thing I think maya has over fume is the texturing/rendering, and even that is kind of wierd in maya. :)

I can't wait to see Afterburn 4 already :)

JohnnyRandom
05-30-2007, 01:26 AM

Agreed:) have heard rumor of the major part will be using the fusion renderer instead of the old afterburn render, It was mentioned a while back lets hope they are still on track with it. Not sure about dreamscape though...

Congrats on the job Ian:thumbsup: heh, just noticed...

Daniel-B
05-31-2007, 02:26 AM
I can't wait to see Afterburn 4 already :)

Is there any indication that they will be releasing Afterburn 4 in the near future? Or was that just a matter-of-fact statment?

SoLiTuDe
05-31-2007, 02:51 AM
Is there any indication that they will be releasing Afterburn 4 in the near future? Or was that just a matter-of-fact statment?

On the afterworks forums Kresimir actually stated that they're aiming for September.

Cryptite
05-31-2007, 03:19 AM
An Afterburn 4?! Where have I been?

Are there any new features or neat stuff slated for it?

Daniel-B
05-31-2007, 03:24 AM
On the afterworks forums Kresimir actually stated that they're aiming for September.

Oh, neat. :) Thanks for answering my question SoLiTuDe.

SoLiTuDe
05-31-2007, 03:27 AM
An Afterburn 4?! Where have I been?

Are there any new features or neat stuff slated for it?

Not yet... only thing stated so far is that it will render with fumefx no problems... through the fusionworks renderer.

feldy
05-31-2007, 08:49 PM
im wondering what new stuff he is comming up with. we all know the raymarcher stuf is getting a little dated but still works great. i dont even know what to ask for in a new release besides better render times on things that have little density.

mustan9
05-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm impressed with fumeFX, and have used AF on some projects before. It's nicely layouted out. I too hope to see another update on this product. I know first hand how time consuming these kinds of things are.

BrandonD
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
The way it works with particles really opens some doors I haven't seen before. I'm having entirely too much fun spending 20 minutes making an effect that would have taken me a week to make somewhat successfully with PFlow and Aburn.

Right now, my only wish is for a Camera Frustum-based Grid :)

SoLiTuDe
06-01-2007, 12:25 AM
The way it works with particles really opens some doors I haven't seen before. I'm having entirely too much fun spending 20 minutes making an effect that would have taken me a week to make somewhat successfully with PFlow and Aburn.

Right now, my only wish is for a Camera Frustum-based Grid :)

What's Camera Frustum mean? If it means that the stuff outside the view gets deleted or something akin to that, then they already have a script for this on the afterworks forum, but unfortunately the afterworks forum is down... :shrug:

feldy
06-01-2007, 02:20 AM
hmm i was just on it work a little bit ago

SoLiTuDe
06-01-2007, 03:59 AM
OOOOH! They updated it! I had a direct link to the old one. Thanks for making me go through the right way.

hmm i was just on it work a little bit ago

BrandonD
06-01-2007, 06:21 PM
The Camera Frustum is basically the FOV: what the camera sees. In some cases when working with fluids and volumetrics, it's more efficient to isolate your grid to a section of the camera frustum.

SoLiTuDe
06-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Thx brandon.. i figured that's what it meant... i may actually be wrong about that script however. I think it's just a general cutoff certain values thing, not a cam based cutoff like i thought.

DeKo-LT
06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Hey,
Everyone saw this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI&NR=1

Applause to author, pretty cool stuff :thumbsup:

jigu
06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
he did fantastic works with fume!! :applause:

feldy
06-07-2007, 06:50 PM
i've seen that before very good stuff

Rif
06-10-2007, 06:42 AM
"put blade to shame.." Anyway , let me know when you finish your futur Vampire gig so i can take over another Vampire show and put your futur work to shame ;) ( hope that feels as well as your unworthy arogance.)

Glad You like Fume Brandon i cannot agree more about your quote saying " its a Really fast and Greatly implemented solution to deal with Simple Fluid Problemes" ( not word to word its a page back ehhe) .. For complex stuffs , iv managed to Allie the Rule base of tp with it to create fast solution for really more complex situations as well .. As for "Camera Frustum-based grid" , its a good wish\idea indeed for a Grid based solver like fume .. it was wished during the dev phases and it sure will be mention again for 2.0 .. Something Also Intersting in the same field of ideas is the Researches about Camera Based Ununiform Grid Sized Voxels.. A Z based Voxel scaling up the Grid Resolution based on camera distance..

Anyway great to hear you like it :)

jason-slab
06-12-2007, 11:13 AM
hey

i'm trying to get to grips with the fumeFX scripting, well, um i'm staring at the help files...
i'm trying to get this example to work:
If you create a script that will modify all of the voxels in a simulation (which could be tens of millions), it will execute at reasonable speeds, measured in seconds.

To get the feel of it, here is an example script:

fn PostObjects = (

for i in 0 to (nx - 1) do

for j in 0 to (ny - 1) do

for k in 0 to (nz - 1) do

SetSmoke i j k k/nz

)

Now when i copy the above text into the script editor in the fumeFX window and run the sim i get this error:
MXS: PostObjects()
MXS: Error in function: PostObjects()
MXS: -- No ""/"" function for true

anyone else tried this, getting it to work?

thx
jason

Rif
06-13-2007, 04:32 AM
hey jason ,

If you put () around you last argument of the SetSmoke call it passes through :

fn PostObjects = (

for i in 0 to (nx - 1) do

for j in 0 to (ny - 1) do

for k in 0 to (nz - 1) do

SetSmoke i j k (k/nz)
--messagebox "lalalaImWorking"
)

Didnt read the help file ( dont even think i have it ) but i m assuming its a Typo mistake or something of the sort maybe..

All though i m not sure its the Best Script to Start learning the Scripting in fume cause it dosnt show smoke at all ..

they are some handy scripts that vjeko wrote and some i did on cgfluids in the member area..

hope that help

jason-slab
06-13-2007, 08:17 AM
hey rif
thx for the reply, yeah i noticed a couple of typo's in their documentation, bit of a pain when u'r trying to learn the scripting side of things :)

thx
j

grury
06-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi all!

I'm having trouble figuring out how to use FumeFx simulation particles and load them up into Pflow. I've used the fumefx Birth op, but it just creates static particles in time to match the Fumefx grid. The only way I could get something moving was by using a delete by time operator, and kill the particles 1 frame after being born, altho with this aproach I get a lot of flickering.
I want to use Krakatoa to render the particles.

Can someone enlight me on how this is done, did a search on the forum but without luck, also the Help file seems a bit vague.

Thanks in advance.

joconnell
06-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Just curious what you mean by frustrum culling in this case - if it's at simulation time then how could that work? Since areas of the sim are reliant on their neighbour cells it'd be quite difficult to cut out bits - especially in cases where the camera panned off and panned back on to certain cells you'd be a tad screwed? I'd defintely welcome anything in this area though since it'd really help with long grids or sims with big camera moves.

jason-slab
06-14-2007, 11:56 AM
hey

recently i was shown a fluid simultr that uses a new technic to segment the grid into parts, so that u could sim over multiple machines(this was however an early dev using only a 2d sim grid), but maybe this is similer to the approach of just simulating what the camera is showing?

j

Cryptite
06-14-2007, 06:52 PM
grury: Check the thread here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=3&pp=15) around where PixelMagic posts. I believe he did the same thing you were trying to do.

Seems to me like the best way to deal without having frustrum-based exclusion method for simulation would just be the tried and true method of building your scenes such that only what should be seen is seen. One example of this is a nuclear explosion I've been working on where the shockwave of dust flies into the camera. Rather than create an entire expanding ring, I opted to just use a slice of the ring that would be seen by the camera, noone is ever the wiser and i'm excluding about 75% of the entire ring, therefore saving a ton of simtime.

But, of course, having a way to sim what the camera would see would also be awesome.

I have a question to pose. I've been having some trouble getting a flaming ship to sim without running out of memory. Problem is, getting it to look high-quality and have the curliness I want runs me out of memory. But even expanding the spacing of the scene by .1 or .2 to adjust for that results in a drastically reduced quality. Some other settings of importance to include, not sure if they help, i'm running with either 2 or 3 steps per frame since the ship's flying quickly; quality varies between 1 and 3 when i vary between a spacing of .5 and .7 that ranges the Size of the Simulation Area from 438x1167x168 to 313x834x120 respectively.

Basically getting the same effect as that Atmosphere Re-entry test on the youtube video would be ideal; fire-wise.

grury
06-15-2007, 08:58 AM
grury: Check the thread here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=488822&page=3&pp=15) around where PixelMagic posts. I believe he did the same thing you were trying to do.

Cheers Cryptite. I read through the thread, but have had no luck making my setup to work.

SoLiTuDe's www.innersolitude.com/teapotfume.mov (http://www.innersolitude.com/teapotfume.mov) , its exacly what I'm looking for, gonna drop him a line and hopefully get this figured out.

Cheers!

Debneyink
06-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Just in case no one had tried this route but I emailed the guys in croatia and they seemed quite happy to supply me a demo though not for 64 bit 32 so i guess give it a try.

4dartist
06-20-2007, 10:02 PM
We just bought FumeFX at the company i work for, in hopes to create huge jets of smoke like you would see from a shuttle or rocket launch. I'm pretty much the one assigned with delivering that effect so I'm busting my butt to learn 3d studio max and fumefx. I've done some of the tutorials with pretty good results. (meaning they did what they were supposed too) Had a little trouble on the explosion one. The guy in the audio doesn't explain a single setting, he just reads them off his paper... Vorticity to uh... 1 This setting from 2 to .5... So I'm not learning much as to what each setting is doing.

I may figure this out sometime, but i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to get the smoke to push out from the simple helper object. Right now i have smoke that just expands out from it, but i need to give it velocity in a direction at the smokes birth place but it then looses that speed over time making a big billowing cloud.

Second question. To make this jet of smoke do i need fuel? I dont have any fire and i don't need it. Just big white puffy billowing smoke about 300 ft high, although even at a smaller scale would be ok as long as it looked believable.

Thanks for any help! I'll keep working on tuts and trying my best.

Benjamin

SoLiTuDe
06-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah that vid tut. sucks bad -- especially when trying to make an explosion for the first time. :)

Under the simple source's velocity area there is "directional" velocity -- this makes it shoot smoke in the direction of the arrow... crank that up a ways and see how it looks. You can disable fuel for the kind of smoke you want, but you will probably want temerature... experiment and find out. Also set the smoke to add instead of set... add litterally adds more smoke to the voxels instead of just setting the density in each voxel. Hopefully you have a 64bit machine with a lot of ram -- doing a sim like this may hurt to get the detail you need... i guess it depends on how far away you'll be viewing it from.

SoLiTuDe
06-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Cheers Cryptite. I read through the thread, but have had no luck making my setup to work.

SoLiTuDe's www.innersolitude.com/teapotfume.mov (http://www.innersolitude.com/teapotfume.mov) , its exacly what I'm looking for, gonna drop him a line and hopefully get this figured out.

Cheers!

:) My web host is no more -- so the link will be broken now for anybody else looking for it. The solution was a simple one -- make sure you export the velocity channel or pflow won't know where to go. I'll be finding a new webhost whenever I get some free time -- I want to put together a new site sometime this year.

Debneyink
06-21-2007, 12:17 PM
any body had a crack at making a flame thrower in fume using particle flow?

if so any tips????????

SoLiTuDe
06-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Flamethrowers really aren't too hard... there's a very decent thread about it on cgfluids.com I'd say check it out there first since it's already a few pages worth of data.

vox360
06-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Hello, Im a fumefx fan and i have been fasanated for a while now, And my friend gave me a demo of it, Were or how he got it still get me, Because i've looked on there site and they dont offer it.
I install fume fx, and nothing, there's nothing there in max, all the files are in the plugins and all that, everything is were it should be, im running max 9, on vista.. i have to run the service pack 2, just to get max on vista. other wise known as booster pack. Could vista be the reason i cant use fumefx? I f anyone has a fix for this that would be great :)

4dartist
06-22-2007, 02:33 PM
We have made progress on our exhaust/steam cloud and could use a little help still. This pattern appeared in the renders and we are having a lot of trouble getting rid of it. By trying this setting and that; we have managed to get ourselves further from the goal while never being able to actually get rid of the pattern. Here are some settings:
HERE IS THE IMAGE (http://www.4dartist.com/cgtalk/fume-smoke.jpg)
Spaceing:7
Width: 980
Length:1500
Height:650
Adaptive: on
Sensitivity: .1

Quality 9
Max Iterations 100
Simulation steps 1
Advection Stride .75
Time Scale 1

Nurbulent Noise--
Scale:1.5 Detail:1
Frames:1

Dissipation Min Dens. 0
Dissipation Strength 0
Diffustion 1

Temperature--
Dissipation Min Temp: .1
Dissipation Strength 5.79
Difusion 0

Attached should be an example of the problem.
Also we are wondering if anyone can point us to a reference that explains the each of the most important settings do?
Mostly the top few in Simulation.

Thanks for your help! Really we are getting super close, just this pattern needs to be fixed. Well for stills.. Haven't checked the animation that rendered last night.

Benjamin Schweighart

SoLiTuDe
06-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Hello, Im a fumefx fan and i have been fasanated for a while now, And my friend gave me a demo of it, Were or how he got it still get me, Because i've looked on there site and they dont offer it.
I install fume fx, and nothing, there's nothing there in max, all the files are in the plugins and all that, everything is were it should be, im running max 9, on vista.. i have to run the service pack 2, just to get max on vista. other wise known as booster pack. Could vista be the reason i cant use fumefx? I f anyone has a fix for this that would be great :)

Go to afterworks.com and email their support about this... they're usually more than willing to give out demos and such, and that way they won't question where you got it from or anything like that when you have problems with it.

Cryptite
06-22-2007, 03:59 PM
4dartist: When you want to increase the quality of a simulation, dropping the scale is often a better way of doing it, rather than increasing the Quality of the simulation. The bulbous pattern you're talking about (If that's what you're talking about) happens when there's extensive expansion that the simulation can't really sim a lot of detail in. Usually the best way to counter that is to drop the scale. That will however, result in higher sim times. Try putting the quality around 5 or 6, and drop the scale from 7 to 6. Also, the Fume FX Documentation (Additional Help in the max help menu) describes all those settings. They don't all make sense sometimes, though...

4dartist
06-22-2007, 05:29 PM
The bulbous look is ok, it is a little too much in that image, but the problem is what looks like a Moiré pattern.

SoLiTuDe
06-22-2007, 05:40 PM
The bulbous look is ok, it is a little too much in that image, but the problem is what looks like a Moiré pattern.

That's the voxels in the grid being filled with smoke -- you'll prob have to play with the opacity to get the edges to look right. --specifically the opacity curve

Cryptite
06-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Well, I did mean the moire pattern within the bulbous bits; just worded it poorly.

In response to Solitudes suggestion, 4dartist, if you haven't already, turn on fluid mapping (bottom of sim panel) and add a noise map to the smoke map (rendering panel). Also turn on fluid mapping on the smoke map. I'd word that better but I don't have my normal cpu on me and can't think of the exact names of the settings.

SoLiTuDe
06-22-2007, 08:53 PM
...good suggestions there -- I totally forgot about the fluid mapping... :thumbsup:

Cryptite
06-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Anyone have any ideas how to remove all instances of drag on a Fume Simulation? The effect I'm going for is an exploding ship in space, thus receiving no wind friction etc. The only solution I can think of is to link the whole fume grid to the ship and solve the sim as a static bit and just let the linked area follow the ship normally. I've tried a few things but seem to still be getting some wind drag etc.

ChrisNeuhahn
06-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I purchased Fume from turbosquid but they are taking a long time to getback to me.All of the Source Helpers are showing up with a blank Modify panel, nocontrols or sliders are visable. Their channels are visable in track viewthough.I've tested it in the following versions:Win XP with Max 8, Max 9 32bit.Win Vista with Max 9 32 and 64 bit.All of them have the same issue.None of the sample files work either. They do not render and also haveblank modify panelsSystem is a Dell 670, Dual Xeon Dual Core 2.8, 2GB Ram, quadro FX 4500Here are some screen shots of the issue.
www.vacantplanet.com/forum/Fume_Errors/FFX_Object_Src.jpg (http://www.vacantplanet.com/forum/Fume_Errors/FFX_Object_Src.jpg)
www.vacantplanet.com/forum/Fume_Errors/FumeFX.jpg (http://www.vacantplanet.com/forum/Fume_Errors/FumeFX.jpg)I tried re-installing Service Pack 2 and Fume FX, and re-authorizing and no luck.

Rif
06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Really weard Chris..
Do me a favor and Write to Support@afterworks.com and explain them Exactly that with your purshase infos with Turbosquid if needed .. They will know what to do

SoLiTuDe
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
The same thing happened to us on a few computers -- I believe the solution is to make sure dcpflics is installed... what's in your c:\program files\dcpflics directory? and/or does it exist?

4dartist
06-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Can you guys offer any advise on how to render the smoke and just its shadow? I read the manual and found the Matte/Shadow material and did some tests and it worked find for basic objects. In color channel i could just see objects no ground plane, but the shadows were in the alpha. When i try to do the same with fumefx any smoke infront of the ground plane renders invisible while any parts not directly infront of the plane still renders fine. The shadow is correct though, shows up fine in alpha. Any ideas? I am pretty new to 3ds Max so sorry if this is a no0b question. 8(

Benjamin

SoLiTuDe
06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
in the matte/shadow material set apply atmospherics at object depth.

4dartist
06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Thanks!

4dartist
06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Just wanted to share some smoke. Thanks for your help! We need to tweak it to stick to the ground more, but still billow up some too, thats pretty much our goal.
Video (http://www.4dartist.com/cgtalk/smoke2.mov)

edit: btw the ground is just a 'solid' in aftereffects. The shadow came out perfect!

JohnnyRandom
06-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Nice job, some good looking smoke :)

Cryptite
06-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Just drop the buoyancy or temperature of the sim to bring the smoke down. :D

Smoke looks great; keep it up.

Michaelws
06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Turbosquid has two FumeFX items...an .exe for 195 or something close and a .dlu for 795.

What is the difference with those?

JohnnyRandom
06-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Turbosquid has two FumeFX items...an .exe for 195 or something close and a .dlu for 795.

What is the difference with those?

$195 buys you 4 extra simulation licenses (once you have at least one seat of Fume)

$795 buys you FumeFX + 2 simulation licenses

Michaelws
06-29-2007, 08:40 PM
and a simulation license is? Sorry that I do not understand. Do I create one simulation (animation?) and then I have to buy some type of license to create another?

Michael

JohnnyRandom
06-29-2007, 09:07 PM
You create your fumefx scene, then you start the simulation. Fumefx needs to calculate the smoke/fire/fuel.

If you have a second machine for instance you can run the simulation on that machine and continue to work on your workstation.

"FumeFX 1.0a introduces Simulation license (SL).

With Simulation license user can use backburner to send simulation tasks to any computer that has installed Full license, or Simulation license. Before submitting a job via backburner, user has to enable SL mode button in main FumeFX UI and set output path to a valid network path.
When job starts on a SL machine, simulation will start automatically.
If user does not want simulation to be renderer automatically after simulation is finished, then rendering range can be set to a single frame.

Full version of FumeFX 1.0a comes along with two free SL licenses while
additional pack of four SL licenses can be purchased at additional cost of $195."

Michaelws
06-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for that explanation. So it simply means I have unlimited use in creating effects with a single license but will need the simulation license to render it on any other computer?

But. lets say, in my situation, I will be sending my little film to a render farm...will they be required to have a full version of FumeFX in order for my simulation license to work on their server?

Thanks.

ChrisNeuhahn
06-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I paid $795 and they did not provide the correct version. They've provided links to to the correct version twice but the links don't work.

I'm getting rather irritated.

Michaelws
06-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey Chris,

Got your book...re-read it more than three times...refer to it always on my little film project.

Terrific read. Many thanks.

Michaelws
06-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Back to FumeFX. Are there 2 versions? One for 32 and one 64? Hopefully one day I will upgrade to a 64 bit machine...would hate to have to re-purchase.

Thanks

JohnnyRandom
06-29-2007, 11:57 PM
You get installers for 32 and 64-bit, you get two simulation licenses with every full seat you purchase. I haven't gotten to use the sims yet, I would imagine they install under the your full seat license on 2 separate machines.

Borgleader
07-10-2007, 12:15 AM
do the ppl at CG Fluid still check the forum subscription?

Rif
07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
hi Borgleader ,

im on a lake in vacation right now so the resgistrations are taking a longer time to beeing processed.. the best way to get registered and added is as i explained still as follow :

1- register on cgfluids.
2- Write me an email to cgfluids@cgfluids.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/cgfluids@cgfluids.com) explaining me whats the interested to be joined ( tp or \and fumefx) ..for fume fx i will need to send the proof of purshase to the developers.. include your newly registered username in this email to me so i can easily activate your account.
again , sorry for the delay..

cheers.'

CameronHallam
07-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Do you have to purchase FumeFx to get access to CGfluids fumefx section??

I emailed you a week or so ago asking to join and asking this question but got no reply, so i am gathering that you have to own fumefx to have accesss, no exceptions.

SoLiTuDe
07-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Yes. You have to own fumefx to gain access to the cgfluids forums. Not sure about access while having the demo, but I doubt it.

joconnell
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM
That's the one - as far as I know rif has an agreement with the developers not to support illegal users so unfortunately that means the only way to keep to this is by checking serials from purchased versions.

Rif
07-12-2007, 03:39 PM
indeed .. thanks john..

If , witch i would totally understand , it would bother you to Share your Serial of Purshsase to Little me , their is a more "adequate way" witch would be to send your informations ( proof of purshase) to support@afterworks.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/support@afterworks.com) in an email and asking them your wish to join FFx group on Cgfluids.. i will then be advised and add username accordingly..

cheers,

RonDog
07-15-2007, 12:04 PM
just started working with Fume, and have a quick question for u guys.

iva got an animated ring which i want to use as the emitter.
What i understand so far is that i need to create a Object Src and pick my ring as the object.
however the 'picker' won't let me select the ring.

anyone got n idea what im missing ?

atd
07-16-2007, 12:14 PM
So I live in Cuba, I don't have access to buy Fume for the US embargo laws and want to learn more about Fume and I can't get information from the CGFluids Forum just because I don't bought ? ?

Knowledge if free, my friends ! ! !

Atd

joconnell
07-16-2007, 01:29 PM
You can buy it from the developers who are actually based in croatia and I don't think they have an embargo on cuba - https://afterworks.com/store.asp

Was planning to go to cuba this year but had to cancel because of a project :/

atd
07-16-2007, 03:04 PM
jajaja Yes sure, Fumefx costs 795 USD, that means 19 875 pesos (national coin) that it is more or less about 3 year and 3 months! ! ! of doctor salary. Independently that a Cuban cannot have neither a VISA card neither MASTERCARD (for the embargo, among other things). Neither so at least legal internet ! !. So my friend apparently has to be left without enjoying the kindness of CGFLUIDS

Thank you any ways;)
atd

PD: in the other hand, when ever you want you are welcome to cuba, this it is a beatifull country for the foreigners, not so much for they citizen :(

Glacierise
07-16-2007, 03:39 PM
jajaja Yes sure, Fumefx costs 795 USD, that means 19 875 pesos (national coin) that it is more or less about 3 year and 3 months! ! ! of doctor salary. Independently that a Cuban cannot have neither a VISA card neither MASTERCARD (for the embargo, among other things). Neither so at least legal internet ! !.

/OT

Well, that's what you get for bearing with Castro for so long :) I am really sorry for you man, I've experienced communism and I know what it's like. Good luck though, he's gonna kick the bucket soon, and we'll come visit you in free Cuba :D

/OT

Rif
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
hi ,

I m sure their is other Fume Fx Sites no ? i mean Turbosquid must have 1 , and i know sitsi Sati has one.. I do Not Take over the Whole FFx Support on mu little Shoulders .. hehe.. the Idea of Cgfluids was simply to Open to Serius and Legal Users some Xtra accurate and Professionnal Help for Their Productions Questions and to create a Real data Base of important things placed in the right order .. I personnally been frustrated enough in Forums long time ago that i decided to try to make the experience as usefull and productive for my collegues using the softwares of my developers friends in the community at least..

Sorry for that Atd , but i must admit , cuba is a Place i would love to see someday ;)

RonDog
07-17-2007, 06:14 AM
if i get it up and running, you can use my account atd.
currently undergoing license probs.
(i got a copy from work as a gift for being intern. But the license server is offcourse on that location)

if i get it running and get forumaccess we can share account.

grtz,
ron

Debneyink
07-17-2007, 09:26 AM
maybe we could start selling shares on our forum login names and passwords??!!!...say twenty dollars for access...
maybe don't quote me on that!!...im joking...

RonDog
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
aight ,
im some steps further , but im having trouble running simulation now.
after a 5,6 frames of simulation i get out of memory message and max shuts down.
currently running on 2gb .
there's gotta be something im doing wrong. some settings pumped up too high or whatnot.
hopefully someone can give me some pointers.

thx,
ron.

4dartist
07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Rondog, I suggest you take a close look at the General Tab in the FumeFX UI. The spaceing in relation to Width Length and Height is important because if the spaceing number is too low then your computer will quickly run out of ram. I have a grid at
1500x515x910 and spacing at 3.6 That seems to be pretty good looking and still low enough ram i can run out 400 frames w/out it running out of ram and crashing max. The higher the spacing the less ram the computation will use and less detail the smoke will have. Thats kinda what i've picked up anyways, i could be wrong. But we've managed to make some pretty nice smoke for a rocket launch using fumefx. ;)

Benjamin

RonDog
07-18-2007, 08:14 PM
thx m8 !
you were right that was indeed the problem. thx for the advice

atd
07-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi Rif I understand your point of view, although undoubtedly it affects me, there is not problem and Rondog, thank you for the expression, you are thanked of all heart.

Now lets talk about FumeFX...

atd

renaissance01
07-22-2007, 07:49 AM
hi all. i'm a user of pflow and afterburn and have been very impressed by some of the examples of stuff made with FumeFx. I was just wondering...is it worth learning, is it hard and is it used much in the industry ?

cheers

wreath
07-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi i get some nice results in fumefx with fume simples and using an object but i cant use fume fx voxels with particle flow i guess it can be with FumeFx birth and fume follow but i cant solve the whole setup to work them together can anyone help? :rolleyes:

Debneyink
07-22-2007, 07:06 PM
in the helpers theres a source for particles just use that as you would your object source by creating one then choosing your particle flow. then in fume rollout choose the particle source in the object/source rollout.

wreath
07-22-2007, 08:52 PM
thanks for the reply, yes i already know this option but its not very usefull i think and i want to use fume fx birth in pf dialogue but still cant :(

Cryptite
07-22-2007, 09:24 PM
wreath, check around the beginning of page 4, end of 3 for help on this. PixelMagic was trying to achieve the same thing I believe.

Rif
07-22-2007, 10:07 PM
hi all. i'm a user of pflow and afterburn and have been very impressed by some of the examples of stuff made with FumeFx. I was just wondering...is it worth learning, is it hard and is it used much in the industry ?

cheers

Hi renaissance01 , i think this is a really good question btw .. If like you say you are pleased with the workflow\results that your experiencing with Pflow and Afterburn atm , knows that you will find some of those similar functionnality in the workflow with FumeFx in example ;

- the AFC gradient methods Representing the life of the Particle if you choose the Particle Source Aproach to emit or affect in your Fluid grid ..

- the gradients For Shading based on denisty or temperatures etc..

- the supersensitivity of the spinner values ( that sitsi sati is knowen for :) ) and the fact its the Same maker as Afterburn..

But the most important thing to understand is that Fume fx is a Total Fluid System .. It will definitly in production change your Mentality of doing things in the sence that your "Effect Space" is not an Open air full scene but a "world" evoluating inside of this Fluid Grid .. And what happends inside of this grid are like a Big Sealed ( or open) data Flow of Velocitys , Temperatures , Densities and Fuel that interact with every other peace of space inside that "effect Space" ..

That been said , 2 things i think are important to be successfull in a fluid system like this ;

- Controling how theese informations are transfered : witch contrairly of a particle system , to achieve that you have to manipulate rizing speed and developement speed by heat production and temperature and boyencie and gravity ..All though you can use particles motions to affect those values in the grid , its not the way to take full advantage of the fluid Solver inside Fume.

- Efficiency and workflow optimisations : specially for the productions , cutting down in the non needed corners per shots , Learning to Dissiapate the values and Shrinking the Adaptive Inside "blue Grid" thats inside your "Effect Space"to Kill undesired data and optimize computation and Ram ... More detail you want to put inside you "Effect Space" , more ram and computation time you will be desiring to use .. thats where mastering methods and ideas to make every scene as efficient and optmised as you can will definitly become handy ..

"iss it worth learning" : Definitly

"is it hard " : i wouldnt say hard but you will want to attack it with dedication and focus ..

"is it used much in the industry ?" : I do not know all the facts but my assumptions , blizzard, blur , digital domain, ilm , the orphanage , cafefx , digital dimension , encore , tigar hare , and many more seems to have used it or have it already in their pipeline so i would say if thats not used alot yet well it will be used much more in the futur ;)

Regards,

wreath
07-22-2007, 11:56 PM
wreath, check around the beginning of page 4, end of 3 for help on this. PixelMagic was trying to achieve the same thing I believe.

Thanks man but i still dont know how can i use my pf setup with fumefx (not using particle src in helpers bar)
and another question what is the best way to create top quality (like hollywood works) explosions which program or which plug-in?

SmackAHobo
07-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey guys,
I'm currently in the process of creating thrusters for a spce scene i'm making. Does anyone know the best way that i can achieve this?
I did the plasma tute that came with Fumefx but i can't seem to get it going vertical.

Also, evertime i have my flame start, it erupts and then forms into a giant ball at the end. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? I just want a constant plasma burning effect for thrusters, such as those in star wars.

Thx for your help guys.

wreath
07-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi smack, i think the best way to control the timing and movement in fumefx is using particle systems like Particle Flow,Thinking Particles etc. and if you render the thrust seperate then edit in any compositing program it will be easy for you.

Debneyink
07-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I would say fume or afterburn is good for explosions. check out youtube theres a few good examples there.
And my two penneth on the thrusters things. Achieving a Hollywood quality can be acheived by simpler means (depending on how close you want to get) Just because fumefx and all these other plugins are available, great though they are, it is possible to achieve similar end results using a few well thought out animated maps and a soft glow in say fusion in a fraction of the time.

www.dirtyuk.net (http://www.dirtyuk.net)

wreath
07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I would say fume or afterburn is good for explosions. check out youtube theres a few good examples there.
And my two penneth on the thrusters things. Achieving a Hollywood quality can be acheived by simpler means (depending on how close you want to get) Just because fumefx and all these other plugins are available, great though they are, it is possible to achieve similar end results using a few well thought out animated maps and a soft glow in say fusion in a fraction of the time.

Yes i am tried both plug ins i think afterburn can create greate exp's for games but i think its not enough realistic for cinema, but fumefx is different some fume's results looks more realistic but controlling voxels in simulation is so hard, i made a explosion test in fumefx/pflow, in pflow setup everythink is ok but when calculate it in fume the results not satisfact me (sorry for my bad english)

here my explosion test with fumefx : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPNc8xW9hA

Debneyink
07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
I took a look at your youtube movie and its not bad man just a few things in the timing and key framing etc but the look is there...

Can I tempt you into uploading the scene file so we can have a crack at ironing out the creases then discussing the project as a real thing? Two head are better than one and all that...
I often find that gving yourself a brief and sticking to it even when its just testing various plugins is a good way to solve things.

SoLiTuDe
07-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Afterburn just for games??? Where did you get that idea? I know a few people in games that use it to generate sprites, but it's very useful and in fact made for movies. Even though we have fume now, we still use afterburn A LOT here at Blur. It can generate something like this: http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/kaboom.jpg in 1/2 the time. That's a real picture, but acheiveing that level of detail in fume is very hard work, and very hard on your system.... unless you've got lots of ram and lots of time.

Good Afterburn Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz3F-02FwZc&mode=related&search=

Just do a search for Afterburn on this page and you'll see it mentioned quite a few times:
http://www.groundzerofx.com/maxinfilm/

feldy
07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes i am tried both plug ins i think afterburn can create greate exp's for games but i think its not enough realistic for cinema, but fumefx is different some fume's results looks more realistic but controlling voxels in simulation is so hard, i made a explosion test in fumefx/pflow, in pflow setup everythink is ok but when calculate it in fume the results not satisfact me (sorry for my bad english)

here my explosion test with fumefx : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPNc8xW9hA

lol who told you i was useing afterburn for games pshhh dont tell no one. but i do use it to make sprites and so on but i was useing it for rendered images way before that. i love afterburn and fume from what i have seen takes some time to get used to. cant wait for ab4 to come out.

wreath
07-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Afterburn just for games??? Where did you get that idea? I know a few people in games that use it to generate sprites, but it's very useful and in fact made for movies. Even though we have fume now, we still use afterburn A LOT here at Blur. It can generate something like this: http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/kaboom.jpg in 1/2 the time. That's a real picture, but acheiveing that level of detail in fume is very hard work, and very hard on your system.... unless you've got lots of ram and lots of time.

Good Afterburn Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz3F-02FwZc&mode=related&search=

Just do a search for Afterburn on this page and you'll see it mentioned quite a few times:
http://www.groundzerofx.com/maxinfilm/

Yes man the picture you post is awesome can you post the video of that explosion?
_
And the youtube video is nice but i think its not looking realistic, yea its very nice but i am talking about things that we cant seperate from real.
-
a new question about afterburn; I have a explosion setup with pf and i am trying to use it with afterburn, the movement of the particles is ok but the spinning particles is not spining when i use afterburn volumetrics the volumetrics are only moving and not rotating i am trying to achive turning mushroom effect like the video you post.

wreath
07-23-2007, 10:25 PM
I took a look at your youtube movie and its not bad man just a few things in the timing and key framing etc but the look is there...

Can I tempt you into uploading the scene file so we can have a crack at ironing out the creases then discussing the project as a real thing? Two head are better than one and all that...
I often find that gving yourself a brief and sticking to it even when its just testing various plugins is a good way to solve things.

Debney, unfortunately i deleted video's scene but i will try to make a new explosion scene when it finished i will contact you in this topic man thanks.

SoLiTuDe
07-23-2007, 10:41 PM
That picutre i posted was a real explosion -- not afterburn. It was simply to say acheiving that look in fume is a lot hader than with afterburn. Ahieving realism isn't just the tool or a render on a black background it's how you light and composite it, etc. You can just as easily make a fume sim that looks completely fake. In fact even doing a nuke in fume will be extremely hard to make so "real" that you cannot tell if it is fake or not.

feldy
07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
this should get moved to the afterburn thread. however you do not spin your afterburn particles useing the pflow operator. instead there is a rotate with in the afterburn options that you use and can anaimate your self at will.

wreath
07-23-2007, 10:50 PM
this should get moved to the afterburn thread. however you do not spin your afterburn particles useing the pflow operator. instead there is a rotate with in the afterburn options that you use and can anaimate your self at will.

sorry for the wrong topic but yes i know ab's own rotating menu but its not usefull enough for me , i am trying to rotate each particle in their own way by velocity but afterburn rotate rotating them in same way

monkeydonut
07-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Can anyone advise:

After installing the fumefx demo for max 9 32bit my afterburn has stopped working... error loading the afterworks.dlu.

Can these two plugins be run together?

Thanks
Alex

RonDog
07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
they should yeah.
don't know why you've got this problem. Could be version related.

SoLiTuDe
07-24-2007, 04:46 PM
monkeydonut: go to the members area of afterworks and make sure you have the latest version of afterburn. The two work fine in a scene together, but will not render together properly in the same scene yet.

JohnnyRandom
07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
The two work fine in a scene together, but will not render together properly in the same scene yet.

You too huh, filed a bug report a while back, the issue is being addressed and should be fixed when they port everything to the fusion renderer,(sure you knew though:D) getting pretty anxious to see AB4:) You could do some sweet stuff with both in conjunction.

SoLiTuDe
07-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah, it's technically not a bug... the two just don't work together yet. :) That's going to be the main thing in AB4 as far as we all know... but what else awaits is anybody's guess.

JohnnyRandom
07-24-2007, 11:35 PM
hehe, correct "incompatibility issue":D

wreath
07-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi, i have a brand new problem in FumeFX and hope someone help :)
as you can see in the picture i used a plane with matte shadow it works the shadows are nice but there are some unwanted white edges and a little light from fume how can i dissapear it?
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6232/probrc4.jpg

Debneyink
07-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Sure just let me know when you get to a certain frustrating point and can't take it anymore!!

wreath
07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
still have same problem :rolleyes:

Cryptite
07-27-2007, 06:37 PM
That's quite an odd problem to diagnose OTC. Could you post a version of your scene for us to look at it? Probably can figure it out alot more easily if I took a straight look at it.

wreath
07-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Here is the scene Tom (max 9) http://rapidshare.com/files/45419920/db.rar.html

wreath
08-01-2007, 10:55 PM
any help for previous messages?

feldy
08-02-2007, 12:30 AM
sorry i was being a noob and didnt read everything

Lassjus
08-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I'll join this thread as well. I have been working on an explosion in Fume lately. I really want it to look realistic. But as a beginner, I have some questions I hope you will help me sort out.

1. My explosions tend to get the classic boring look (Like it is one puff of smoke with no turbulence) but when I add turbulence to it, it looks very wavy. How do you guys get the right shape of it? (This guy made it very well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAY4SFpknU) (This guy gets the fury texture quite right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEKJbDEP7kY)

It also seems like my fire is replaced by smoke from inside and out. If you watch an explosion it is often the other way around. How could I make it do that? Is it possible. (The first explosionvideo is a good example of what I mean. )

Hope someone can give me some answers.

Lassjus

TimWoods
08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi, i have a brand new problem in FumeFX and hope someone help :)
as you can see in the picture i used a plane with matte shadow it works the shadows are nice but there are some unwanted white edges and a little light from fume how can i dissapear it?
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6232/probrc4.jpg

unlurking

is this a straight frame? or is that with a comped bg?

Cryptite
08-03-2007, 05:21 AM
I can vouch, Tim, that's a straight frame. I took a quick look at the scene but honestly couldn't figure it out. I haven't had any time to look at it again, however.

It's a fault with the light passing through the less-dense edges of the smoke more clearly, but why it produces such a bright whiteness to it (white due the color of the light), I don't know.

Lassjus
08-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Oh, I hate when suddenly an error comes up and ruin my scene. Hope you figure it out. I found out some of my questions last night. I managed to make an explosion with a very cool shape, and the smoke covered the explosion from outside and in. Very good. I'll have to adjust the spacing a little as well, the explosion does not have the detail to do close ups.
The only thing now is that the flames seems to dissapear faster at the end. So they last for a while, and suddenly their gone. Have you come any further on your explosion Cryptite?

Cryptite
08-03-2007, 06:55 AM
I've been busy on a few projects lately and haven't had too much time to get going on the explosion, but It's gotten pretty far. Soon as I get a chance, i'll post it up sometime so everybody can take a look at it.

Lassjus
08-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Yeah. Do that. I will post my updates as well. Not very good yet, but soon ;)

Lassjus
08-03-2007, 06:09 PM
A little video. Still working on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5apwpYGILg

Stuff I want to improve:
Make the fire burn out a little slower.
Make the rolling motion last a little longer.
Add some smoke at the bottom, just to show it is affecting the environment.
Make it more complex at the beginning. It looks pretty dull when it is almost totally yellow.

Hope you like it.
Eventually I will simulate it with a higher detail, better render and do some post production.

Lasse

Daniel-B
08-03-2007, 09:31 PM
A little video. Still working on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5apwpYGILg

Stuff I want to improve:
Make the fire burn out a little slower.
Make the rolling motion last a little longer.
Add some smoke at the bottom, just to show it is affecting the environment.
Make it more complex at the beginning. It looks pretty dull when it is almost totally yellow.

Hope you like it.
Eventually I will simulate it with a higher detail, better render and do some post production.

Lasse

Very cool. You should try to make it larger scale. Such as a nuclear bomb. It already has the basic shape.

Lassjus
08-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes. But to do that I would have to make it go slower. I don't know how to do that without loosing the shape of it. Any suggestions?

Cryptite
08-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Technically, all you have to do to make it slower is drop the time scale down, but that doesn't always just lead to slower simulations. Shape changes as well at times. It's quite finnicky.

Lassjus
08-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, that the problem. If I drop down the rime scale I loose the good shape of the explosion. I know that there is a setting, I dont remember the name now, that reduce the drift upwards, if you get me. I guess I will have to find a nice balance. I have made some better explosion tests now, sharper and with longer-lasting flames. I will try to post them tomorrow. Sorry my english (i'm a little bit drunk)

Lasse

Cryptite
08-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Both buoyancy and heat production can affect the updraft of the flames.

Lassjus
08-05-2007, 02:24 AM
Yes. I guess so. I will try to adjust the heat production. Adjusting the time scale was no success alone, at least. Maybe combined with heat production... Thanks for the answer. Lasse

sireel
08-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Hey folks, I have an issue with FumeFX that I'm really hoping will be a slap-the-forehead issue:

I setup a simulation and it looks like its doing its thing, each frame shows -
Building voxels
(object shape) 150696 voxels, 2.4 Mb, 0.1s
allocated memory
Resizing from (386,13,141) to (8,8,8)
Memory users:0Mb
Advecting velocities
solving
CG done with 1 iteration (1.#IO MVOPS)
CG res e:27.893
Advecting fields
Saving fxd data OK
Frame time: 00:00

but nothing results, the simulation blue box just sits in the corner of the area.

any words of wisdom for me?

Cryptite
08-05-2007, 03:10 AM
sireel: It could be anywhere from you haven't selected your Emitter in the Fume setup, or your emitter isn't contained in your fume grid (box).

sireel
08-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I've selected the emiter object as a solid and the ffx object SRC01 which references it and it contained within the fume grid. I've attached a pic of my conundrum if it helps.
Also I'm not sure if this should go into a separate thread, if it should just let me know. graci'

Debneyink
08-05-2007, 09:20 PM
took a look at the file and have a result...

I've have rendered the shadow issue mentioned previously (white edges) using vray but not globally illuminated. If you're not familiar with using vray mattes, then right click on object and go to vray object properties and set it at -1.0 turning it in to a matte object . you can use any material it works for me. ie white edges disappear. So not a solved problem merely a different route!

if anythings unclear let me know.

debneyink

Lassjus
08-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I have had some time to play with my explosions, and would like to share them with you.
The first one is from outside my apartment. I think the explosion itself is maybe a little too fast (I'm still trying to figure out how to slow it down. ) and lack some detail. I also had some problems when it comes to motion blur. Is it possible to motionblur fume?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlRRkMpO3QE

The second one is posted here because I was really happy with the detail in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbR21VwhUWI

Hope you like it.

Debneyink
08-06-2007, 08:55 AM
great stuff!

Lassjus
08-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks. If it was my stuff you ment. I'm curious about the explosion cryptite made. Could you post it so we could take a look at it?

Lasse

visualchaosfx
08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
In my latest VFX test I'm trying to use FumeFX to catch the characters studio biped on fire. Anyways, I've got mocap data applied to the biped. The biped is simulating an agonzing death and I thought it would be really cool to have the biped on fire before it explodes. Thing is though I can only select parts of the biped skeleton in Fume. I want to select the whole damn thing. How do I do it?

SoLiTuDe
08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
In my latest VFX test I'm trying to use FumeFX to catch the characters studio biped on fire. Anyways, I've got mocap data applied to the biped. The biped is simulating an agonzing death and I thought it would be really cool to have the biped on fire before it explodes. Thing is though I can only select parts of the biped skeleton in Fume. I want to select the whole damn thing. How do I do it?

One of the retarded parts of fume. You'll have to skin a simple mesh to the biped most likely or you'll have to add an obj. source for each part. :sad:

visualchaosfx
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
One of the retarded parts of fume. You'll have to skin a simple mesh to the biped most likely or you'll have to add an obj. source for each part. :sad:

Hey man hows it goin?

OMG you basically solved an oh so simple problem for me. I could have just used a low res mesh and skined iit on the biped and then use that as an object source for fume and before I render the animation, just hide the mesh.

Man I'm really with it today lol. Well I haven't played around with VFX stuff for the last 2 or 3 months.

Anyways thanks for the tip dude.:thumbsup:

SoLiTuDe
08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
No prob man! I'm doin good -- check out my cgtalk info / where I'm workin' now. :) Glad to see you're back at it finally!

Debneyink
08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
hey lassjus,
Yeah i was talking to you good stuff...

to all interested im currently doing a foo fighters music video for their new album...

It involves blowing a lot of stuff up (buildings of london which I have) im looking for fumefx dudes and afterburn work that we can throw in to the mix, its to be released over the net and with that in mind there's no money (sorry) but its going global and BMG and foo fighters have a huge database as you can imagine, maybe a free gig ticket??
If any one cares to get involved here's my email: Debneyink@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/Debneyink@gmail.com)

ill give you credits and promise of future work. the way i see it is these tests we all seem to be doing could be used with a little file swapping.

visualchaosfx
08-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Is anyone else having a problem logging into the Afterworks members area?

Daniel-B
08-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I have had some time to play with my explosions, and would like to share them with you.
The first one is from outside my apartment. I think the explosion itself is maybe a little too fast (I'm still trying to figure out how to slow it down. ) and lack some detail. I also had some problems when it comes to motion blur. Is it possible to motionblur fume?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlRRkMpO3QE

The second one is posted here because I was really happy with the detail in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbR21VwhUWI

Hope you like it.

Very impressive work. I like it alot. That last one looks like a mini nuclear bomb. :)

Lassjus
08-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the nice replies. I will work further on the explosion to make it look more like a larger gassoline-explosion. At the moment, it looks like a smaller scale explosion, and I would like it to look like a larger one. It's difficult without loosing the shape!

Debneyink: Sounds like a cool project. What kind of explosions are you after? Lots of smoke, mushroom-like, lots of fire, slow, fast... ?

Lassjus

Debneyink
08-06-2007, 10:13 PM
if you throw me your private email address i can speak in more detail labels pretty secretive!!
i'll throw you an example of the work.
but generally bit of everything: mortars, planes and tanks firing missiles into buildings, explosions etc usual fun stuff!!

im in the UK so may get some sleep soon but will be back on it tomorrow...

debneyink

Lassjus
08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I live in Norway, so I guess I better go to bed as well, but I sent you a pm.

darrennorthcott
08-07-2007, 02:52 AM
Hey,

I was just experimenting with fumeFX and pflow, did a simple render for a logo, but the 'embers' that fall off seem a little large and undetailed. i think this is due to the pflowAburn operators i had to assign in order to use collisions. any input?

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/tds_logo_fire.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/tds_logo_fire.avi)

thanks.

Darren.

Daniel-B
08-07-2007, 03:29 AM
Hey,

I was just experimenting with fumeFX and pflow, did a simple render for a logo, but the 'embers' that fall off seem a little large and undetailed. i think this is due to the pflowAburn operators i had to assign in order to use collisions. any input?

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/tds_logo_fire.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/tds_logo_fire.avi)

thanks.

Darren.

Nice work. I like it.

visualchaosfx
08-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Hey,

thanks.

Darren.

Hey that looks pretty cool. How long did it take to render that?

Lassjus
08-07-2007, 04:20 AM
I could not see the videofile because of a codec error. What kind of codec do you use?

Lassjus

visualchaosfx
08-07-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm doing a VFX test which involves me fighting with the Character studio biped. In one of the scenes I throw an energy ball at the biped and it catches on fire before exploding. Its been a while since I played around with Fume but I generated this test to see what ya'll think of the fire and stuff and if anyone has some tips and/or suggestions please post them.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95pYIWcuEKE

I do aplologize for the quality but its all youtube fault :D

darrennorthcott
08-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks,

the fume sim took about 30 mins, and the quick render out took about 10. low settings. also, i noticed that i was working on a very small scale and only about 3000 particles. if i made the logo bigger and used more particles, probably would have turned out better.

sorry, i used divx.

darrennorthcott
08-07-2007, 06:46 AM
visual-chaos-fx,

nice work. how did you get the fume to work with the biped? did you use different object sources for each body part? that seems to me to be the only way, im experimentin with using particles to cover the biped, but i'm still working on it.

visualchaosfx
08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
visual-chaos-fx,

nice work. how did you get the fume to work with the biped? did you use different object sources for each body part? that seems to me to be the only way, im experimentin with using particles to cover the biped, but i'm still working on it.

Thanks Blue,

What I did was I selected the biped and exported it as a .obj file and then imported in to Max. I then made another biped and matched it up with the .obj version and applied a physique modifier to it. Then added the mocap data and fumed it and everything worked out great.

The sim took about 4 hrs to do and I didn't finish the sim and rendered the clip out anyways which took less time render.

visualchaosfx
08-07-2007, 05:31 PM
I composited the same animation onto a background plate. It looks ok but I can't seem to get the colors of the fire right. I'm trying to make the look of the fire look as real as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0yqX43MBE

What do you guys think?

darrennorthcott
08-07-2007, 05:53 PM
hey dude,

yeah i noticed the same thing with fume, fire looks great on black, but with a background, it totally changes the realism of the fire. try a couple of things:

-work(not render) with the background in max so you can see the effects realtime
-play with the spacing(smaller=better)
-play with the opacity of the flame
-try changing the color to keyed mode and adjust the gradient
-maybe add turbulence
-change the burn time to around 10 or so

just some suggestions, sorry, dont know your fume settings, so i'm just speculating right now

hope this helps if you want to send me or post your settings it would be easier i think.

cheers

Darren

Lassjus
08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey. Very nice animation! I would say you should speed it up, just a little. And you need to make the colours of your flames less saturated. Or at least I think that would look good. Adjust the AFC (right to the oppacity spinner) with less oppacity at the inner core. Think this might help you get the right colours. Hope I'm clear and that you understand what I mean.

Lassjus

Lassjus
08-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi. Another explosion... More like a nuke this time. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFR5kaPm-0Q

This explosion has higher detail than any of my earlier explosions.

Lasse

Debneyink
08-07-2007, 11:05 PM
nice work, did you get the foo thing?