PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

JohnnyRandom
12-27-2008, 10:49 PM
with xp64 + max64 as much as you can throw at it.

fiftypercent
12-28-2008, 01:48 AM
well i have max32

SoLiTuDe
12-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Then that's probably pushing your limits.. windows + max = not a lot of ram\memory left for fume to use. You should consider upgrading to 64bit.

fiftypercent
12-28-2008, 03:52 AM
where can i get windows 64

SoLiTuDe
12-28-2008, 04:47 AM
I got mine HERE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116378&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Software+-+Operating+Systems-_-Microsoft-_-32116378) :) You could try vista 64... but i've heard very mixed things.

Billabong
12-28-2008, 02:16 PM
When I actually saw that post, I started to laugh. I just thought to myself, man you can get Windows XP 64 almost anywhere. Then I decided to look for it, Hell I can't find one place that sells it.

My only advice would be to maybe look on ebay. I'm pretty sure it's legal for people to sell Windows if they dont use it anymore. I think

-B

fiftypercent
12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
i gt it.... i should upload it 2day.... r u sure that its going to giv me alot more ram?

Cryptite
12-28-2008, 07:49 PM
64bit doesn't "give you more RAM", it allows you to use more RAM. So, whatever your motherboard supports as far as quantity of RAM is concerned, go for broke, if you ask me.

32bit can only support up to 4gb (if you set it right, otherwise, 3)
64, however can support way past 4, up to around 32 i believe.

fiftypercent
12-28-2008, 08:01 PM
hw do u set the ram 2 go as high as it can go?

Cryptite
12-28-2008, 08:33 PM
RAM isn't a setting; it's a physical chip that you put into your computer. Take a look around newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=17&name=Memory) and find out what kind your motherboard supports and start from there.

JohnnyRandom
12-28-2008, 08:53 PM
hw do u set the ram 2 go as high as it can go? Sorry dude, I assumed you had some knowledge of hardware and operating systems.

A couple things to consider if you are going to do a lot of work in Fume or other simulation type work.

Processors = a good quadcore if your on a standard motherboard, better with dual quads on a workstation board. (of course more cores per physical chip are coming so prices will drop on good quads)
Ram = at least 8 gigabytes, windows 64 will let you install and use up to 128 gigabytes.(not many motherboards support this much) typically you get 8 slots on a good workstation board, usually only 4 max on a standard mobo.
Hard drives = the more space for sims the better, I've had a couple hundred gigabytes worth of sim data and have heard other folks having terabytes worth of sim data.

Of course the best solution is to have two machines one to work on and one to sim/render on, since some sims can take a long time to cook, some hours, others are all night. So send of your sim to another machine and keep working on your main.

Anyway, the tip of the iceberg, hope this helps a little.

Cryptite
12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Ah yes, I think i topped out for 32 when i said it because i was thinking of traditional motherboards, rather than workstation boards. Most support up to 32 these days before going workstation-esque.

SoLiTuDe
12-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah it wont' give you more ram, but it will allow your computer to use a lot more virtual memory and to fully use your physical memory.... either way it'll be more stable on 64bit.

jimmy4d
01-02-2009, 02:35 AM
Hey man you're really getting better'n better here my suggestions;

If you will use a still photo for backplate try to find a scene that doesn't have anything always in motion on it,in this case no matter how your explosion kicks ass that freezed bushes near the road would kill the scene. Next time get yourself a giant fan and ventilate them to death :twisted: or you can do some basic matte paint stuff and replace them with CG bushes reacting the explosion.
Agreed with Hristo on column looking smoke,to prevent that tweak your buoyancy values or animate temparature to a low value after very first frames of explosion, higher temperature values cause fastly rising smoke/fire and personally i recommend avoiding of harsh camera motions, if you really want to use, adding some motion blur to camera gets you a smoother/natural results.

cheers

update.......

ok........ The backplate setup was wrong and I'm not gonna animate ( not good enough) or matt paint this jpeg. I got a whole new set of ideas watching you guys...........:drool:
great point thanks mate......I did some work on the fume, added a another schockwave and re-did the main smoke ............is it better ..hmm........I don't know.........crits welcome...
http://www.3dglove.com/08/testrenders/farmland2.mov

wreath... dude your new work rocks.......trying to stay on your coatails is a lot of fun..........Thanks

pauldublin
01-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi people,

I've been working on trying to get a convincing explosion going. This is my latest attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-m7MgCDh2Y

however I cannot seem to get the fire to be visible for as long as I wanted, it burns out far to quick in my opinion. I've even tried lowering the burn rate because I seen it mentioned that lower burn rate gives longer lasting fire, but doing this, the explosion hardly even got off the groiund, and looked really bad. I know some of you guys could prob help me out here. If you could give any pointers it would be great.

SoLiTuDe
01-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Hey guys.. finally posted up my reel:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5592735#post5592735

:D
--Ian

fireknght2
01-03-2009, 09:54 PM

--Ian

Very Very Nice work..thanks for sharing with us.

Fire

jimmy4d
01-04-2009, 02:39 AM

--Ian

Yeah thanks for that..............see what you will never do...haha.....that is superb work mate.

good luck.......

SoLiTuDe
01-04-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks guys!

Jimmy4d: don't worry man, I had a lot of help to get where I am. :)

JonathanFreisler
01-04-2009, 07:32 AM
yeh dude i checked it out yesterday very cool. I didn't know you left blur, they do need a few more FX guys huh. Keep it up man. Are you doing similar stuff on 2012 atm? aka fume pflow tp ab ect ect.

SoLiTuDe
01-04-2009, 07:53 AM
yeh dude i checked it out yesterday very cool. I didn't know you left blur, they do need a few more FX guys huh. Keep it up man. Are you doing similar stuff on 2012 atm? aka fume pflow tp ab ect ect.

Thanks man. We're using Max, so all the same plugins. :) The FX themselves are pretty different though. I'm also doing quite a bit of scripting ( and loving it )... nothing crazy FX wise, more pipeline related stuff, but I'll make sure I modify / release anything that'll be helpful for you guys.

penguinherder
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with memory and fumefx i just bought a new comp intel 2 quad cpu @ 2.40GHZ 4GB ram its running windows xp 32 bit and at only 3.25 GB i was hoping id be able to get my simulation higher quality then on my dual core at only 2.14GHZ and 2.0GB ram but my dual core can still push the sim up to 900mb while my new system with more ram can only get to 555mb before crashing could anyone help me with this id really enjoy a answer on this ,thx:)

jimmy4d
01-06-2009, 12:23 AM
xp/64..... I don't think fume should even be on a 32 bit system......32 bit os will use 1gig for your op and stuff ( runnig in the background that you don't even know about)......:) and then give you another 2 gigs for your apps. thats after you changed the inf. text file . I think thats how it goes...........

good luck with that

jackwest
01-09-2009, 03:51 AM
How well is fumeFX rendering with mental ray?

pauldublin
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
It doesn't work :(
(Yet)

SoLiTuDe
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
It doesn't work :(
(Yet)

Have you checked the members area of afterworks.com lately? 1.2 includes a mental ray shader. I haven't tested it yet, myself, so I can't say how well it works.

JohnnyRandom
01-09-2009, 05:18 PM
How well is fumeFX rendering with mental ray?

Only done a few test renders and seems to work just ok. It's buggy with GI, no support for Fume Render Elements, the grid itself has render issues (it has shown up as black where it crosses over other geometry), stick with better supported render engines at the moment IMO.

jackwest
01-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Thank you for the reply on my question if fume fx is working well with mental ray as they claim it does. I am sorry to hear that it is not working at the moment. This explains why I have not been hearing to much talk about it.

JohnnyRandom
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
It works well for a point release addition, it will just need work to get it "there". Only standard shaders are supported. It is nice that they are trying to integrate it into a "standard" max renderer.

They did include a sample file "barbecue" which works quite well.

As for not hearing much about it, fume has been out for a while and peoples pipelines have been adapted to it. So there is no real need to for them to change when they already have something that works.

pauldublin
01-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Have you checked the members area of afterworks.com lately? 1.2 includes a mental ray shader. I haven't tested it yet, myself, so I can't say how well it works.

Thanks Ian, I'll check that out, cool news

dreggsy
01-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with memory and fumefx i just bought a new comp intel 2 quad cpu @ 2.40GHZ 4GB ram its running windows xp 32 bit and at only 3.25 GB i was hoping id be able to get my simulation higher quality then on my dual core at only 2.14GHZ and 2.0GB ram but my dual core can still push the sim up to 900mb while my new system with more ram can only get to 555mb before crashing could anyone help me with this id really enjoy a answer on this ,thx:)

G'day mate,
You'll be best off with a 64bit version of XP.
I've seen mine do sims that have been asking for between 2GB and 6GB
I've only got 4gb ram in it at the moment, so it does slow down once it asks for (virtual ram?)
It hasn't crashed yet, and I wouldn't even have attempted it on my old 32bit system.
Fill up your box with as much ram as you can my MB only holds 16GB :(
maybe its time for a new MB for me.

TwiiK
01-12-2009, 07:37 AM
I've only got 4gb ram in it at the moment.
Fill up your box with as much ram as you can my MB only holds 16GB :(
maybe its time for a new MB for me.

That's some broken logic right there. You have 4gb, your MB can hold 16gb and thus you need a new MB? :) How about some more ram instead?

Also, once your simulations start using 8gb+ of ram there's other factors to consider as well. It will take a hell of a long time to simulate on your standard quad core and it will use up massive amounts of space on your harddrive, and only the fewest of simulations will actually look that much better when you start increasing the settings that high. It's nice to have a lot of ram for fume, but I would not say it's necessary to have more than 8gb unless the rest of your pc can keep up.

As for the original question I'm not sure why you're only able to use less ram before crash now than before. But do fumefx have it's own settings for memory management or is this actually a max issue? Are you able to use more than 555mb before crashing in standard 3ds max? Like when importing an object, opening a scene?

Even so I will agree with dreggsy, if you plan on doing fume work go 64-bit. It's well worth it, even with "only" 4gb of ram.

dreggsy
01-12-2009, 07:44 AM
That's some broken logic right there. You have 4gb, your MB can hold 16gb and thus you need a new MB? :) How about some more ram instead?

Even so I will agree with dreggsy, if you plan on doing fume work go 64-bit. It's well worth it, even with "only" 4gb of ram.

Sorry Twiik, I kind of meant that if i wanted more than 16GB of ram I would have to get a new MB, as some can hold 32 - 128GB but thats way way way ahead of of what I really need.
I think i'm going to beef mine up to 8GB, ram is the cheapest upgrade after all.

Glacierise
01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
First of two shots for my new reel opener:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIOEyUozT4E

jimmy4d
01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
First of two shots for my new reel opener:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIOEyUozT4E

WOW............ holy crap dude that is some sweet looking smoke. Thats a good one mate.

jimmy4d
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Also, once your simulations start using 8gb+ of ram there's other factors to consider as well. It will take a hell of a long time to simulate on your standard quad core and it will use up massive amounts of space on your harddrive, and only the fewest of simulations will actually look that much better when you start increasing the settings that high. It's nice to have a lot of ram for fume, but I would not say it's necessary to have more than 8gb unless the rest of your pc can keep up.

As for the original question I'm not sure why you're only able to use less ram before crash now than before. But do fumefx have it's own settings for memory management or is this actually a max issue? Are you able to use more than 555mb before crashing in standard 3ds max? Like when importing an object, opening a scene?

Well said man......
....also I found running a duel processor board, (i have 2 duel core 2GB) really helps with my sim's. But without xp64 all would be lost anyhow.

Billabong
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey guys,

I didn't know whether I should post this in here or start a new thread, but I figured since this does have to do FFX, that is should go in here.

I am trying to create a rocket launching from a mobile rocket launcher. I first tried a simple source, but I couldn't get the smoke to bounce off the ground like it should, so I decided to try a Particle source, I am almost there as far how they should behave when they bounce, but my problem is I cannot get this rocket fire/blast to behave properly.

When the rocket is lit. It should hit the ground very quickly, and I got it to do that but just upping the velocity and time scale, but the actual fire is hitting the ground and bouncing. I cannot control the length of the blast. Ive tried messing with the buoyancy, burn rate and Vorticity Dampening, but nothing seems to work.

I am including images of my fume and Pflow settings, plus a render of what it looks like and an image of what Im trying to achieve.

If you look at the photograph, the rocket fire is expanded outwards, but only travels so far, before it turns to smoke.

I thought I would also Include the file as well, incase anybody wanted to take a lok at it.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

-B

www.billa1.com/downloads/rocket.zip (http://www.billa1.com/downloads/rocket.zip)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa298/Billabon654/rocket-firepl.jpg

PexElroy
01-12-2009, 07:46 PM
@ Glacierise - smoke looks solid. Could you share how you moved the smoke around; did you use particles or animated sources? How many sources were used? Looks like some particles drop and they create the bellowing smoke.

@ Billabong - there are a few ways with FFX to create a rocket smoke trail. May have to use a few sources. will look over your file and write some tips. I think you're after a pushing smoke effect (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdVKGwjfTAY).

Billabong
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey Robert,

Thank you so much for taking a look at it. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say

-B

Glacierise
01-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys. My setup was simple - I used TP to get my Rayfire fragments as particles, then use the 'groups as objects' feature to make the selected frags group an object, and use a object source in fumefx. Then animate the smoke add level, and opacity, and add a light in the explosion point and that's it. Yeah and some wind. Not too much animation, unlike my other sims. And no fuel/fire at all. Great fast explosion stuff is made just by lighting your smoke from the inside, it turns out.

@Billabong - dude I'd do that with lots of temperature and smoke density being sent against the ground - a particle stream that dies off just before it meets the ground, then leave it off to Fume. I'm gonna attempt that shot, it looks fun.

jimmy4d
01-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys. My setup was simple - I used TP to get my Rayfire fragments as particles, then use the 'groups as objects' feature to make the selected frags group an object, and use a object source in fumefx. Then animate the smoke add level, and opacity, and add a light in the explosion point and that's it. Yeah and some wind. Not too much animation, unlike my other sims. And no fuel/fire at all. Great fast explosion stuff is made just by lighting your smoke from the inside, it turns out.

@Billabong - dude I'd do that with lots of temperature and smoke density being sent against the ground - a particle stream that dies off just before it meets the ground, then leave it off to Fume. I'm gonna attempt that shot, it looks fun.

ok been waiting to ask this but .exactly what is the advantage of TP over pflow...and how my I best use this with FFX.

Billabong
01-12-2009, 11:52 PM

Hey Hristo

Well I tried that and I'm still getting basically the same result. I think I'm going to try a simple source again

Thanks again for trying to help me man

-B

LD50
01-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey Brandon, i had a look at your scene last night but Im still a bloody noob with FumeFX so dont except too much. After messing around with some settings i think at least its going in the right direction but its still far away from perfect. Changed some parameters of the scene like scale and so on and tried to keep it as simple as possible so i took a simple source again. I think the most important values were directional velocity, expansion, the spacing and the step size. But if you want just take a look at the scene maybe its worth it. Will try to do the same with particles in the next days.

greetz and see you in the course soon
Timo

render: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=OTxVnCvfnHA

scene: http://rapidshare.com/files/182735851/rocket_lunch_max2k9_fume1.2.max.zip (http://rapidshare.com/files/182735851/rocket_lunch_max2k9_fume1.2.max.zip%20)

Billabong
01-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey Timo,

That looks fantastic! I am going to take a look at this file as soon as I get to work. Thank you so much for taking the time

-B

thomaskc
01-13-2009, 12:13 PM
looks awesome timo, thanks.

LD50
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys, its the first time i get something not so bad out of fume. I think the turbulence is a bit to high and the smoke dissipates to fast, but its a base for further work. So maybe the proīs in here can give some more tips and hints ;)

greetz

PexElroy
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
@ Timo - great file and example. and a good starting point to add more or less detail. file is in max 2009, can't open it, but it looks like it'll help.

LD50
01-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Sorry for that mate but Im just trying to be up to date so itīs 2009 ;)
With which version you work maybe i can provide another file and by the way thanks for the flowers.

greetz

PexElroy
01-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Your file crashes my max 2009, since I don't have all those add-ons you have. So seems it is 'stuck' in the one-way max 2009 file format :shrug:

LD50
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Hehe cant be fast enough for fume :)
Good to hear that so thereīs still hope for me ;) Actually i try to make the smoke a bit thicker and i think it should rest a bit longer on the ground. When i get something new i will post it.

Billabong
01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey guys, the file was originally done in 2009

I'm rendering out two of the rockets taking off now, should be done in about 20 min and i will post it as soon as it is

Thanks

-B

Billabong
01-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Well there is all kinds of mistakes I made on this, for one, the camera angel is wrong, and the second rocket slows down and Im not getting enough blast from the second rocket. I pretty much hit render and walked away.

Link Removed, needs to be improved

Ingsoc75
01-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Thinking about getting FumeFX but I wanted to ask some users of it on here if I can achieve the following:

-dust (from moving vehicles, etc.)
-rocket exhaust/trails (it looks like it can be done by Billabong's last post)
-explosions (nothing fancy that would be better done in Afterburn)
-exhaust from vehicles, planes, etc.

Thanks in advance.

JonathanFreisler
01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Thinking about getting FumeFX but I wanted to ask some users of it on here if I can achieve the following:

Thanks in advance.

fume is very flexible, with the amount of control you have all of these can be achieved. It takes a bit of work to get them looking right (ie theres no set defualts) but once you get a hang of fume and learn it inside out theres quite a lot it can do in heaps of different situations.

dreggsy
01-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering if people who put up renders of their FFX tests, could also put down their Sim Times, Particle count and machine specs? e.g 2x quad core etc?

just a thought

I was just flicking through the manual an read section which stated, once the system runs out of ram and starts using the swap disk simulations can take between 10 -20 times longer. I definiately need more ram....and fast.

floopyb
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM

Thanks in advance.

We did pretty much all of the above on a recent set of cut scenes for the spacechimps game.
This one has dust/sand from vehicles/footsteps:
http://www.zerooneanimation.com/projects/downloads/01_spacechimps_desertintro_480p.mov

This one shows more dust/sand using fume and krakatoa
http://zerooneanimation.com/Clients/Public/SpaceChimps3.mov

and this is the show reel from the cutscenes with all the other stuff (briefly!)
http://www.zerooneanimation.com/projects/downloads/01_spacechimps_showreel_480p.mov

or just check out the site: www.zerooneanimation.com (http://www.zerooneanimation.com)

The one thing you may have trouble with is exhaust/trails going over long distances as you grid would have to cover the whole area the rocket covers. Althought there is a few tricks you can do to optimize it.

Ingsoc75
01-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Very nice floopyb!

Thanks guys for the input!

LD50
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
@Billabong: Strange that the second rocket doesnt work right. Did you animate all the parameters for the second rocket like the first one has it or did you just drop another simple source in the scene?

I altered the settings from last time a bit and also put a second rocket in the scene with animated values and it seams to work fine. Only thing is that the smoke is too thick at the ignition, i think.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=VI0De6objtM

greetz

PexElroy
01-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Looks good. I'd make the smoke a tad tanner, as it would be smoke and dust mixed together. the smoke is thick and works but lingers a tad to long. To bad max 2009 can't share with older versions.

Ingsoc75
01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Ok, I've been going through the tutorials. Would anybody have a suggestion for making a vehicle dust trail? Just something to get me going in the right direction.

LD50
01-14-2009, 07:23 PM
You can download a dust trail scene file from themaxer.de (http://themaxer.de/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=5&Itemid=75)maybe it helps if you take a look at it. Joerg Gerlach friendly as he is provides some other scene files there too.

@PexElroy: Thanks for the comment i think your right there should be more ground dust and so on i will work a bit further on it but originally its Brandons scene and i just wanted to give it a try. Guess have to come up with my own idea ;)

greetz

Ingsoc75
01-14-2009, 10:56 PM
You can download a dust trail scene file from themaxer.de (http://themaxer.de/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=5&Itemid=75)maybe it helps if you take a look at it. Joerg Gerlach friendly as he is provides some other scene files there too.

LD50, Very helpful link. Vielen dank!

tschuss!

amckay
01-14-2009, 11:20 PM
hey guys quick question - so if I were to host my website and not let it die every 10 mins and download videos so slow (I want to add some new content without it crawling) what host does everyone recommend? godaddy? or something else?
currently I'm with netfirms, and ass you can tell it dies in the ass every once in a while, and its dog slow to download big files

So its time to switch to a new host!

Billabong
01-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Well I can tell you I use and you can check them out. We also have C4DPortal hosted with this company as well.I've had no complaints yet and we have quite a good bit of tutorials on the site as well

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Home;jsessionid=A0B27287AEF3300984B3466E6321A608.TC60a?__reuse=1231995054110

grury
01-15-2009, 07:58 AM
hey guys quick question - so if I were to host my website and not let it die every 10 mins and download videos so slow (I want to add some new content without it crawling) what host does everyone recommend? godaddy? or something else?
currently I'm with netfirms, and ass you can tell it dies in the ass every once in a while, and its dog slow to download big files

Check this out: http://www.streamline.net/wh.php (http://www.streamline.net/pu.php)
I been with this guys for several years and I'm pretty happy.
Very reliable and unlimited bandwith.

cboath
01-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Any ideas on how to get an effect like the linked avi? Gas is shooting out of the top but doesn't ignite until it's a decent distance above the emitting area. Everytime I try this it always ignites on the surface of the emitter and you don't get that 'gas look' at the base.

http://www.sitharchives.com/board/gas.avi

penguinherder
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Is there a way to animate or somehow get the fumefx container to follow an animated object so i don't have to increase the container size?

Glacierise
01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
You could make one source for the fuel, then another for the temperature. Shoot the fuel with directional velocity, then when it passes through the next source, it will ignite when touching the high temperature.

@penguinherder - it's a normal object, just parent it.

penguinherder
01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Thx for the reply Glacierise, I tried to parent it but i get the same problem as just animating it by hand when i hit simulate the animation completely disappears and the pivots get screwed up, so i don't know maybe I'll just have to increase the size.

JohnnyRandom
01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Any ideas on how to get an effect like the linked avi? Gas is shooting out of the top but doesn't ignite until it's a decent distance above the emitting area. Everytime I try this it always ignites on the surface of the emitter and you don't get that 'gas look' at the base.

http://www.sitharchives.com/board/gas.avi

You could make one source for the fuel, then another for the temperature. Shoot the fuel with directional velocity, then when it passes through the next source, it will ignite when touching the high temperature.

Yep, went to lunch and you beat me to the punch.:D

I whipped up an example.

http://4rand.com/TEST/FumeFx/Fire/MultiSRCign/MultiSRCIgn.pnghttp://4rand.com/TEST/FumeFx/Fire/MultiSRCIgn/MultiSRCIgn.png

QT - 4mb (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/FumeFx/Fire/MultiSRCign/multisrcign.mov)

Example - Max2009 FumeFX 1.2 (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/FumeFx/Fire/MultiSRCign/Max2009_FFX1.2_MultiSRCIgnition_JRand.zip)

It is also possible to use particles with the use of the Afterburn Pflow operator.

amckay
01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
cheers Brandon I'll look into it thanks

cboath
01-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Yep, went to lunch and you beat me to the punch.:D

I whipped up an example.

http://4rand.com/TEST/FumeFx/Fire/MultiSRCign/MultiSRCIgn.pnghttp://4rand.com/TEST/FumeFx/Fire/MultiSRCIgn/MultiSRCIgn.png

QT - 4mb (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/FumeFx/Fire/MultiSRCign/multisrcign.mov)

Example - Max2009 FumeFX 1.2 (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/FumeFx/Fire/MultiSRCign/Max2009_FFX1.2_MultiSRCIgnition_JRand.zip)

It is also possible to use particles with the use of the Afterburn Pflow operator.

That looks great, I just got it opened and started the sim, but that looks pretty much like what I need.

BTW, was the particle src something you never acted on? It doesn't seem to actually be used.

cboath
01-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Missed this earlier...I don't know the specs you currently use/need, but i've used Ipower for a few years and haven't had any real problems. If you only need a linux type account, they've got those pretty cheap. The following is had for $5/month:

1,500 GB / 2,500 E-mails
15,000 GB of Bandwidth
FREE Domain Name
SSL / CGI / PHP
25 MySQL Databases
Hosting of Unlimited Domains

Windows version of that account is a bit less on the spec's and costs like $3 more per month, but you get asp, aspx, etc.

They offer dedicated servers as well.

penguinherder
01-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi all, im having a problem getting my fire ti emit from a material map, it works fine when the gradient ramp is set to explicit map channel but when i set it to planar from object XYZ it doesn't work is there a setting that would cause this that I'm not turning on?

JohnnyRandom
01-16-2009, 03:59 PM
BTW, was the particle src something you never acted on? It doesn't seem to actually be used.

No, I didn't use the particle source, but you could easily use it, the reason I didn't is merely for the fact that you need afterburn to control "per event" use with your particles. IE say the first event would generate your fuel then age-test to a new event with a PFlow-Aburn operator to activate FumeFX and start the ignition process.

Hi all, im having a problem getting my fire ti emit from a material map

What are you emitting from, an object?

cboath
01-16-2009, 04:36 PM
No, I didn't use the particle source, but you could easily use it, the reason I didn't is merely for the fact that you need afterburn to control "per event" use with your particles. IE say the first event would generate your fuel then age-test to a new event with a PFlow-Aburn operator to activate FumeFX and start the ignition process.

Take 3...it's not letting me post this for some reason. Anyhow...

I've been dissecting the file and trying to re-create it myself. The only issue is it's not a straight translation of values from metric to imperial. I'm getting close though. It took me a bit to realize that the fuel sources were set with Free Flow unchecked and the fire sources had it checked. Got much easier after that, though it was a real 'well, duh' moment :)

Another thing that seems to be stumping me is that I can't get just the fuel to render - it seems directly tied to the flame source. I've reduced it down to just the center fuel emitter and one of the flame emitters. No other lights or objects. The fuel will show on the preview render, but not when i hit render. Also, the color of the smoke is somewhere tied to the color of the flame. I'm thinking i've missed a connection but I can't see it anywhere.

penguinherder
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM

ya its a car model using the source from intensity, when the texture is set to explicit map the texture is a mess but with planr object XYZ it clears up i found a fix tho with just adding a UVW mapping modifier on the model.

DarkNemos
01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Hello folks,

I am having some big problems with my fire sim. So i have a few questions.

First of all my sim is very blocky. I am getting a square like fire waves all over the place. As you can see from the image. Here i am using a gradient to a cilinder as my emiter. I have one directional light with raytrace shadows and notning more in the scene. Rendered with vray but in scanline i get the same blocky resolts. I am doing something wrong for sure but i dont know what. Here is an image

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2475/firestickus5.jpg

Also it looks very bad on the stick. Its almost transparent and it should be diferent.

Another thing. What kind of motion blur should i use? I tried image mb and camera mb but they do not work

Here is a 50 frame animation of this fire

firestick.rar - 0.85MB (http://www.zshare.net/download/542879031e961597/)

Please help.

p.s: i will upload the max file if needed

Darknon
01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
For the blockiness of the fire you need to lower the "spacing" value. I think it's called spacing, in the simulation options.. Lower that and simulate again. That will do it.

and for the motionblur. I belive you have to go into the "fusion works renderer" and enable motion blur there..

Hope it helps

DarkNemos
01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Darknon thanks for the reply,

Here are the setting for the spacing

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/6443/generalny2.jpg

I dont think that they are low

JohnnyRandom
01-17-2009, 10:06 PM
If you have the time to render and you want to blur in max use multi-pass motion blur, IMO the im blur looks like ass for the same amount of blur duration. If you use imBlur don't forget to export velocities and add motion blur render effect ;)

You can also do it in post (as long as you export velocities in .exr or similar format) with a vector motion blur plugin like reelSmart Mblur or CCvectorBlur for AE or fusions vectorMblur.

DarkNemos
01-17-2009, 10:40 PM
If you have the time to render and you want to blur in max use multi-pass motion blur, IMO the im blur looks like ass for the same amount of blur duration. If you use imBlur don't forget to export velocities and add motion blur render effect ;)

You can also do it in post (as long as you export velocities in .exr or similar format) with a vector motion blur plugin like reelSmart Mblur or CCvectorBlur for AE or fusions vectorMblur.

Thanks for the tip. MB fixes some blockyness but not all of it. I will play around with the scene a little bit and hopefully find what the problem is.

JohnnyRandom
01-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Just an FYI, your voxel size (spacing) can be visualized by the small square in the bottom corner of your grid.

Post some more of your settings or a stripped down scene file to debug.

DarkNemos
01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Just an FYI, your voxel size (spacing) can be visualized by the small square in the bottom corner of your grid.

Post some more of your settings or a stripped down scene file to debug.

Here is the scene file, max2009

FirestickScene.rar - 0.02MB (http://www.zshare.net/download/542925031797afc1/)

Thanks ;)

JohnnyRandom
01-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Well it seems alot of it is your render shader, you are to close to the wall on your afc curve, which is why you are seeing blocks, if you change your spike (shift it to the right) in the afc curve you will loose almost all of the blocky edges, of course doing this you will loose some of that nice tendril detail some of this can be overcome by shifting all of the colors on your fire shader more towards the middle and boosting the color and/or opacity.

DarkNemos
01-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Well it seems alot of it is your render shader, you are to close to the wall on your afc curve, which is why you are seeing blocks, if you change your spike (shift it to the right) in the afc curve you will loose almost all of the blocky edges, of course doing this you will loose some of that nice tendril detail some of this can be overcome by shifting all of the colors on your fire shader more towards the middle and boosting the color and/or opacity.

Wow thanks. Now i am able to get more details with bigger spacing. There are still some problems dough, i need to figure out why its so transparent on the stick. I need to make it more solid and the fire is kinda broken apart so i need to figure out that one too.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4677/firestick2et6.jpg

Here is a 100 frames animation without mb

firestick2.rar - 1.57MB (http://www.zshare.net/download/54307668f4f52af9/)

holycause
01-18-2009, 09:54 AM

So its time to switch to a new host!I'm with Swisscenter (http://www.swisscenter.com/en/web-hosting/), and never had any problem with the Proffess. plan. ;)

dreggsy
01-19-2009, 01:17 AM
measure mentsDarknon thanks for the reply,

Here are the setting for the spacing

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/6443/generalny2.jpg

I dont think that they are low

it would probably be easier to tell if you used some kind of measurement
as the picture doesn't tell us if your working in meters, inches or cm.

Doesnt really matter but just a pet hate of mine.

DarkNemos
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
measure ments

it would probably be easier to tell if you used some kind of measurement
as the picture doesn't tell us if your working in meters, inches or cm.

Doesnt really matter but just a pet hate of mine.

I am using cm. But i dont thing that it is relevant for the simulation.

Anyway i did a final test so take a peek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-boda8-1M

I dont know if this will satisfy the production quality but it looks good to me. :)

JohnnyRandom
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I am using cm. But i dont thing that it is relevant for the simulation.

Anyway i did a final test so take a peek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-boda8-1M

I dont know if this will satisfy the production quality but it looks good to me. :)

Nice work, flames are a little tall for such a small burning object, but it looks good:)

DarkNemos
01-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Nice work, flames are a little tall for such a small burning object, but it looks good:)

Thank you. You are absolutely right. The flame is tall but i wanted it this way, its only a test, nothing more, i wanted to test out the flames itself, the scale was not my consern. But thanks for the sugestion :)

Glacierise
01-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi guys, I'm reinstalling max and I have wiped the slate clean. So I had installed a script once that created an 'attach to fumefx' ui entry, that I had added to a quad and that was very cool. I searched for it but I couldn't find it. I think some of you guys made it, can you point me to it?

JohnnyRandom
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
^wasn't me but sounds handy though. When I get a bit I look into it, gotta walk the dogs:)

tool2heal
01-24-2009, 11:37 PM
are You sure your not just thinking of the default Fumefx ui toolbars that you can add from the Customize ui drop down? Because I have the toolbar with 4 buttons. Floater display/start simulation/attach to fumefx/detach from fumefx. Just a thought, figured that might be what you were reffering to.

Glacierise
01-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Here's some new stuff:

http://cg.glacierise.com/animation/reel_opener_war_final_medium.mov

Here's the youtube preview, remember to watch it in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYk_v17rIBQ

Yay, onto the next thing :)

gibson1980
01-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Here's some new stuff:

Nice work, man

DarkNemos
01-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Here's some new stuff:

Nice job.

You could add another camera movement at the end when you blast the wall with gunshots to reveal the name DEMO REEL or something in that hole. nice texture and it will be awsome :)

jimmy4d
01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Here's some new stuff:

yeah man..:buttrock: ..........thats sweet dude....give me a small berakdown please......just the fume stuff........Great job mate.

Glacierise
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Heh thanks guys! There will be a breakdown, I just wanna finish my stuff up and publish my awesome TP spark tool hehe.

SDENPIKE
01-27-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-VDntOdH4

SDENPIKE
01-27-2009, 06:39 PM

SoLiTuDe
01-27-2009, 06:48 PM
^ Great reel! :thumbsup:

SDENPIKE
01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Thaks a lot

SDENPIKE
01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
To GLACIERISE
))))))))) You see it earlier

Glacierise
01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
An awesome reel, congratulations!

Daniel-B
01-27-2009, 07:10 PM

That's awesome! How did you do the explosion at 4:09? I mean, what settings.

DarkNemos
01-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Very very good stuff. Just awsome

Glacierise
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
To GLACIERISE
))))))))) You see it earlier

I can watch that stuff all day long :D

jimmy4d
01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
really nice reel...........:bowdown:

SDENPIKE
01-27-2009, 07:48 PM
That's awesome! How did you do the explosion at 4:09? I mean, what settings.

I'm see movie Die Hard 4 - tonnel explosion

set big hi speed explosion, camera "top"

SDENPIKE
01-27-2009, 07:52 PM
really nice reel...........:bowdown:

Thanks - Me has awarded Mach Kobayashi (Pixar) for this reel

SDENPIKE
01-27-2009, 07:55 PM
And still I try to do the most beautiful simulations because I am afraid. Glacierise works very diligently))))

jimmy4d
01-27-2009, 08:04 PM
And still I try to do the most beautiful simulations because I am afraid. Glacierise works very diligently))))

lol...well said mate.

amckay
01-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Very nice work mate, you've got some great stuff on there

wreath
01-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Awesome!! "SDENPIKE"

amckay
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Yigit by the way I saw some of your work the other day, very nice stuff mate!
Looks like there's a lot of talented guys on this thread!

JonathanFreisler
01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
yeah good job SDENPIKE, and yeah Yigit has soem amazing stuff. I always get sad when i watch his stuff.

Daniel-B
01-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Allan, any word on when your new Fume DVD will be coming out?

SDENPIKE
01-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Some of my work based on yours tutor)))

SDENPIKE
01-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Some My works not in the reel

on youtube.com search SDENPIKE

amckay
01-28-2009, 06:01 PM
SDENPIKE cool mate I will take a look

PixelMagic, Fume FX: Advanced will be out sometime in March, just finishing it up now

wreath
01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Allan, Jonathan thank you guys !!
:beer:

jimmy4d
01-28-2009, 06:38 PM

hehe .............thats Why I hang out here daily.

JohnnyRandom
01-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Nice reel SDENPIKE :thumbsup: I knew I had seen some of those shots somewhere before...

Dodgeas3d
01-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Hello everyone!

Got problem: how to control volume shade of smoke in fume (how to get dense smoke?)? (what shadow type has to have light?). I get nice simulation but smoke is flat, how you get nice volume with shadows?
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1637/fumesmokefy3.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fumesmokefy3.jpg)
geometry even blocks illumination ....
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8103/fumesmoke2qm6.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fumesmoke2qm6.jpg)
Light comes from the right, and no rim light on smoke :( light effects smokes illumination if i control light intensity... but no volume shading :(

P.s : i add light to fume illumination list. + i enable cast receive shadows in smoke.

What do i miss?

Thanks!

wreath
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Hello everyone!

Got problem: how to control volume shade of smoke in fume (how to get dense smoke?)? (what shadow type has to have light?). I get nice simulation but smoke is flat, how you get nice volume with shadows?
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1637/fumesmokefy3.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fumesmokefy3.jpg)
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8103/fumesmoke2qm6.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fumesmoke2qm6.jpg)
Light comes from the right, and no rim light on smoke :( light effects smokes illumination if i control light intensity... but no volume shading :(

P.s : i add light to fume illumination list. + i enable cast receive shadows in smoke.

What do i miss?

Thanks!

You need to check Atmosphere Shadows: on under the shadow parameters tab in your light's settings.

SDENPIKE
01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Hello everyone!

What do i miss?

Thanks!

Yes - check Atmosphere shadows, and in fume UI in rendering - check cascn shadows, recieve shadows

SDENPIKE
01-29-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm changing jobs in the coming summer

I'm interested in job offers

Dodgeas3d
01-29-2009, 09:36 AM
wreath, SDENPIKE >> thanks alot that was the problem!!!

DarkNemos
01-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Is there any real diference when rendering the fire itself with vray and with scanline? I just tried rendering it in scanline and in vray and i get exactly the same resolts. I dont know about the smoke cuz i havent tested that but with fire i dont see any diference.

Perhaps i am doing something wrong or am i just expecting some awsome detail burst with vray? :)

JohnnyRandom
01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Is there any real diference when rendering the fire itself with vray and with scanline?

Global Illumination

BrandonD
01-30-2009, 11:53 PM
That and most raytracers can render volumetrics faster because they can adaptively anti-alias while scanline rendering requires a minimum of one sample per pixel.

DarkNemos
01-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes global illumination, i figured that. Adaptive AA also. Its a diference yes. It can be very usefull. I guess i didnt phrase my question correctly. Can it give some volume to the fire. I dont know some scattering or something. Give it more volume, more solidness or something similar?

Bandu
01-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi guys,

I did a lot R&D work on my laptop last year and want to show you guys all my explosions.
This are test and there is no comp work, so take it with good humor :)

bandu's explos (http://www.b3d-animations.com/mov/bandu-rnd-explos.h264.mov) 28 MB H264 MOV

regards,
Bandu

[EDIT]
have recoded the .mov to 9 MB
[EDIT]

Glacierise
01-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Some great stuff here man, you got me thinking :) Keep sharing!

Bandu
01-31-2009, 09:20 PM
yea... thx,

see you Monday or so... :buttrock:

PsychoSilence
01-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi guys,

I did a lot R&D work on my laptop last year and want to show you guys all my explosions.

bandu's explos (http://www.b3d-animations.com/mov/bandu-rnd-explos.h264.mov) 28MB H264 MOV

regards,
Bandu

Andreas sure is a shining star on the german vfx heaven. Thatīs all i have to say :)

jimmy4d
02-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi guys,

bandu's explos (http://www.b3d-animations.com/mov/bandu-rnd-explos.h264.mov) 28MB H264 MOV

regards,
Bandu

Hey those are sweet man.........did you use any tp or pflow, they are lookig great mate...

depleteD
02-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Some of those I really really liked man, good job

JonathanFreisler
02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
yeah very cool Bandu.

@ Glacierise, yeah i know man. All this stuff gets me thinking and scheming but i have no time atm to do my own stuff :(

wreath
02-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Wow ! great booms :thumbsup:

MartinRomero
02-02-2009, 03:27 AM
That's a lot of R&D on one subject, thanks for sharing.

late,
Martin

JohnnyRandom
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Boom boom boom, Bandu is in the room :D

LD50
02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Yepp thats for sure some awesome works :applause:

PexElroy
02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Each one of the Fume tests is great Bandu - and lighting on them is good.

Fume should be 10x faster or real-time :twisted: ... down the road maybe.

@ DarkNemos - GI will light Fume well and give it more shading that is real-world, as light bounces and render faster. plus v-ray & finalR can use Fume as a light source with GI.

davidjon
02-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Can I direct a fume smoke with a path constraint/follow? Like the one in the movie 300 dancing oracle scene? Thanks in advance :)

DarkNemos
02-05-2009, 11:01 AM
@ DarkNemos - GI will light Fume well and give it more shading that is real-world, as light bounces and render faster. plus v-ray & finalR can use Fume as a light source with GI.

Thats cool. And what about mental ray? 1.2 should support mental ray...

davidjon you can connect an object to a spline and then use it with fume. Or emit particles from that object.

Darknon
02-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Bandu: Yo man. That is some really cool explosions you've greated there. I'm working on this WW2 short movie, and is doing explosions with fume, it take alot of time to get it right. I have a few questions if you feel like answer :)

1. Can you give a basic description of how you did the one that starts at 00:00:11? How do you get the ring-fume at the bottom to be pulled inward and up with the main explosion?

2. How do you get the shape of the explosions like the one in 00:00:27? I'm using particle flow, but I can't really get any interesting shapes with it. What's the secret?

And thanks for the inspiration :)

Bandu
02-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey guys, thank you all. I really appreciate you like my tests!

The first idea was to make a bunker buster, rocket exploding inside bunker and destructing it.
But, as usual in home projects, no time to do so and it ended up in tests only.

Well, all this explosions are based on one! PFlow setup witch contain 3 particle systems, one for the Fuel, one for smoke and one for ground smoke/fuel.

I'm sending out particles with lifespan of 2 frames +-4 at very high speed and spawn them on travel distance without reseting the age. I use Afterburn source to emit from the spawned particles only. Many particles with small radius. Exception are the grouddust particles, they aren't spawning.
FFX grid is about 200x200x200 voxels, timescale 2-5, 2 steps.
I've played with fuel/smoke/temperature and other values around so can't really say what are the right values for what eyplosion without looking into my scenes.

hope that helps you thinking :-))

thanks,
Bandu

PS: I'm thinking about making a video tutorial of one of this explosions, will see, maybe one day...

jimmy4d
02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, thank you all. I really appreciate you like my tests!

The first idea was to make a bunker buster, rocket exploding inside bunker and destructing it.
But, as usual in home projects, no time to do so and it ended up in tests only.

Well, all this explosions are based on one! PFlow setup witch contain 3 particle systems, one for the Fuel, one for smoke and one for ground smoke/fuel.

I'm sending out particles with lifespan of 2 frames +-4 at very high speed and spawn them on travel distance without reseting the age. I use Afterburn source to emit from the spawned particles only. Many particles with small radius. Exception are the grouddust particles, they aren't spawning.
FFX grid is about 200x200x200 voxels, timescale 2-5, 2 steps.
I've played with fuel/smoke/temperature and other values around so can't really say what are the right values for what eyplosion without looking into my scenes.

hope that helps you thinking :-))

thanks,
Bandu

PS: I'm thinking about making a video tutorial of one of this explosions, will see, maybe one day...

aHHH,.thanks for the info.......at least I'm on the right track, I need to look at my timescale now..thats mate.......new boom coming soon......

augur
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM
hi guys.

i have done few tests/shots during my after work hours these last years.
nothing fancy, but it may interest you.

http://www.freeflux.tv/pages/fume.htm

MartinRomero
02-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Good stuff augur (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=123801),

Very interesting and dynamic.

Cheers

Martin

JonathanFreisler
02-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Augur, really nice stuff man.

Keep it up, i really dig it.

JohnnyRandom
02-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Nice, dig the balloon, and when the guitarist actually bursts into flames... nice :)

grury
02-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Hey augur, very nice stuff, love that ballon shot.
Welcome to the forum.

jimmy4d
02-09-2009, 01:02 PM
WOW...............augur that looks sweet............great work mate...:applause:

magnoborgo
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Great thread!

I have a question: Its possible to control the System turbulency inside the Simulation Area?

Like i want almost no turbulence on the emmiter (simulation base area), but on the top of the area i want more turbulency. If not, there's is a workaround?

Basicaly i need to create a smoke pillar that has not much turbulency at the base (i.e. very cilindrical shape) , but on the top, its supposed to have "wind" dispersing the smoke.

LD50
02-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey augur these are some very nice shots! Thanks for showing them.

Glacierise
02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey argur, cool work man, I dig your comp!

amckay
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
nice work mate

yeah particles are the way to go, you can control their velocity inheritance multiplier, give them a quick life just to fuel them etc. But more importantly avoid symmetrical shapes that the sphere emitter gives. If you ever use the sphere emitter its best to emit from a fuel map so you can break the base up a bit more, or use some geometry to randomize it a bit more.

amckay
02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
magnoborgo
not directly, the container properties can be a bit limited at times.. you can work around it with scripting, if you wanted to stir up the top area more either use a spacewarp (betterwind by Grant Adam has a decay falloff for turbulence) or put some geometry up there and have it twirl around, it will at least kick up the vecs a little and make it stir more at the top. But I would try a spacewarp first.

JohnnyRandom
02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Ah beat me to it! Not a bad idea Allan, twirling geometry, nice:thumbsup:

Great thread!

I have a question: Its possible to control the System turbulency inside the Simulation Area?

Like i want almost no turbulence on the emmiter (simulation base area), but on the top of the area i want more turbulency. If not, there's is a workaround?

Basicaly i need to create a smoke pillar that has not much turbulency at the base (i.e. very cilindrical shape) , but on the top, its supposed to have "wind" dispersing the smoke.

There are two things you can do:

1 add a wind, drawback = less control

2 use a secondary simple source, see quick dirty example below

Max9 SP2 FumeFX 1.2:

PsychoSilence
02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
hi guys.

i have done few tests/shots during my after work hours these last years.
nothing fancy, but it may interest you.

http://www.freeflux.tv/pages/fume.htm

thats some kick ass tests there! really like the firy character!

magnoborgo
02-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks Allan and John for the tips.

I thinkered with some pflow combo as well but without much luck...
Anyway, the deadline is over, simulations took forever (hehehe), and this was rendered at HD 1080p.

Did some tricks on compositing duplicating the smokes on top to get more dispersed smoke. The solution is not perfect but almost there, not bad for a first try...

Cant show the full comp, but its here:
http://www.borgo.tv/pxc/tfx_101_mlb_smoke_v00B_H264.mov

UbiGuy
02-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Hi!

I have done a little R&D during my after work hours.

I still working on variation of this one (Less symetry, different environment, lighting, etc...)
It's not perfect but I find it interesting enough to be post here...

http://rapidshare.com/files/196212474/JDAM_Impact_v001.mov

UbiGuy
02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Good Tests Augur!

UbiGuy
02-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Here is one R&D of mine...

I done it during after work time. It's not perfect but it began to be good enough to be post. I still working on some variation (less symetry, different environment and lighting, etc...)

JDAM impact There a new link for a version with debris...
http://img254.imagevenue.com/loc341/th_31040_JDAM_Impact_v002_Sorenson_122_341lo.jpg (http://img254.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=31040_JDAM_Impact_v002_Sorenson_122_341lo.jpg)
http://rapidshare.com/files/197425601/JDAM_Impact_v002_Sorenson.mov

FumeFX rock!!!

PS : I have add sound to the video. Low down your speakers...

Strob
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Cool JR!! :thumbsup:

Great details!

See you soon I hope!

UbiGuy
02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Thank You!

I hope I will have the chance to work with you again Strob.

Until that, maybe a lunch could be a good idea...

UbiGuy
02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Anyone find a way to localize wind in FumeFX? I want faster wind at hight altitude for my explosion...

3DSMax wind did not have a lateral falloff. The fallof is only on the wind direction... :(

Strob
02-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Maybe try this one (it's a plugin wind for max with better falloff):
http://www.rpmanager.com/plugins/BetterWind.htm

I still haven't tried it with fumeFX though...

And yes definetely we have to go out for lunch together! (envoye moé un mail!)

JohnnyRandom
02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Try using Betterwind (http://www.rpmanager.com/plugins/BetterWind.htm) (it has a nice falloff built in) if you want to use a spacewarp, or try a simple source set to box and add that to the top of your grid.

Edit: Ah Strob, I must be slack'n :D it works just fine with fume.

UbiGuy
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Strange?!!? I have already try it. But I did not get an effect on my fumeFx Grid...

I'll try again...

JohnnyRandom
02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
You need to set Falloff to Start/End and tick mask planar falloff plus icon size is also dependent. I'm sure other things work too, but seems I get the most control this way.

UbiGuy
02-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Ok! It's work.

At first I have try to use a simple PF system to ajust the "betterwind" intensity. But PF and FumeFX did not have react to the wind with the same intensity. I have to put the PF Force operator around 100% instead of 1000% to have a similar behavior...

Thank you all...

PexElroy
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
stunning work augur on the balloons and person bursting into flames, oh my :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing -- your work is real inspiring.

Yeah I too have been wondering for a year now how to do exactly this, to get the smoke to be orderly in one part of the grid and yet have another part more chaotic; great tips Allan & Johnny -- now messing 'round with BetterWind :)

JohnnyRandom
02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Ok! It's work.

At first I have try to use a simple PF system to ajust the "betterwind" intensity. But PF and FumeFX did not have react to the wind with the same intensity. I have to put the PF Force operator around 100% instead of 1000% to have a similar behavior...

Thank you all...

Yeah, it seems that you need to bump up the strength of your forces by 10 for some reason, maybe its a scale thing, I haven't looked into it to hard myself. So I don't have any explanation for it.

BTW the JDam shot you did is freaking sweet! :thumbsup:

UbiGuy
02-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Oup's

I juste realize I have post a version without debris... I have put so much attention to the fumeFX, I have forget to activate the debris layers... lolololo

The real one...
http://img254.imagevenue.com/loc341/th_31040_JDAM_Impact_v002_Sorenson_122_341lo.jpg (http://img254.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=31040_JDAM_Impact_v002_Sorenson_122_341lo.jpg)
http://rapidshare.com/files/199860284/FumeFX_JDAM_500lbs_Impact.mov
or
http://www.vimeo.com/3291606
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJg8cnsP1k

JonathanFreisler
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
yeh ubi guy, very freakign cool

Hordak
02-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Hello everyone.

I am making an explosion and I want there to be blasts within the explosion after the initial blast. like a boom..boom.boom! :scream:

But I can't seem to get it to work. I got two simple sources beside my initial blast and they are both emitting fuel from frame -15 to 20. My explosion starts at frame 5 (temp and smoke, it's been emitting fuel from frame 0) and ends at frame 20.

My ignition temp is set to 0.01 and the temperature is set to 1000.

But I don't get the blasts I want... Does anyone know what could be wrong?

augur
02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
it s difficult to say with the few infos you provide, but it seems confusing to emit fuel continuously , (maybe i am wrong , but it looks like you do that in your description)
generally for explosions you want quick and massive add of burning fuel which add temperature and velocity ( expansion ). explosion is more a contrast between two states
than a lot of temperature or fuel which is a massive burn.

sorry for my english .

Hordak
02-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Nothing wrong with your english mate :)

Well I was doing what I wanted, just needed to add more simplesources emitting fuel to see the effect.

Thanks for the reply

altynnikoff
02-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Hey guys! I'm a beginner in FumeFX. So I need to know how to animate emmition period of fuel and smoke. Which parameter? In general I'm going to make a building explosion with a mess of broken glass, fire, smoke etc.
Plz help!

PexElroy
02-15-2009, 08:32 AM
@ UbiGuy - your JDAM test blast is jaw dropping :cool:

@ Hordak - Not sure yet what the problem might be, but if you have a file, I can look it over likely. Check to display your fuel (Rendering tab at bottom). Check if the fuel from the other sources are getting close to the flame, to catch on fire.

fiveoften
02-15-2009, 10:37 AM

your explosions was very good. a tutorial I would love to se this

jimmy4d
02-15-2009, 02:35 PM
ubiguy..........that is the frikkin whip dude........nice job....please.......breakdown ......please........

fiveoften
02-15-2009, 05:19 PM
i have tested a space explosion look like the animated Series of Clone Wars. This Explosion is for a Comic movie

http://www.bs-media.org/jumperman/explo.png

Here is the animation

www.bs-media.org/jumperman/explo.avi

Edit: Ups i dont know how i can make this with a preview image

joosedat
02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
when i do the install it says "cant detect a 32 bit version of autodesk max 9 on my computer, setup will continue useing default settings.?"

Then i open 3ds max and its not in the create pannel, i dont know what im doing wrong? i have the fumefx Essentials dvd, but it doesn't have much info about install, same with the help files in the install.

[64-bit Windows
32-bit Windows limits the memory available per process to 2GB (or 3GB). That limit does not exist on 64-bit Windows. So, 64-bit 3ds Max will have to be used as well.]

do i need 64 bit windows?

it might be my set up, im running bootcamp off a intel (Xeon) mac, xp professinal service pack 3, and both 3ds max and fume fx are 30 day demos.

the plan is get this to work then my supervisor will buy both max and fume fx, then i will be happy, very happy. i do hope this works

any help would be great!
I'am new to both 3ds max and fumefx so i might be missing something simple,...

TwiiK
02-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Bah, I wrote these long instructions based on that you were running 64-bit and had the same problems I had when I installed fumefx, but then I noticed you're actually running 32-bit. :)

Have you checked to see that the default install path of fumefx is actually correct? When I tried to install fume, and a bunch of other plugins, on Vista 64-bit I got this error message: "cant detect a 64 bit version of max, setup will continue useing default settings." It then turned out the problem was that it was trying to install into the wrong folder. I just manually pointed it to where I had installed max and everything worked like it should.

fiveoften
02-17-2009, 02:17 PM
i have a question.

How i can let die the smoke.

I use Superspray or Particle flow. The partikels is delete but the smoke is always on.

sory about my english^^

joosedat
02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
things are now pointed to the right spot, thank you!

but a second issue has come around,... now when i open max i get this when it loads fumefx

error Loading DLLs

afterworks.dlu > is not made for this version of the program - not loading

DCPFLICS.dlu > is not made for this version of the program - not loading

FusionoWorks.dlr > is not made for this version of the program - not loading

FumeFX.dlo > failed to initialize error code 126 the specified module could not be found

FumeFX_PF.dlo > failed to initialize error code 126 the specified module could not be found

i have tried this on my mac, bootcamp, xp service pack 3, 32 bit.
i have also tried this on my pc labtop, vista, 32 bit.
i get the same error msg,.. is it due to the demo licence?
im almost there,... max is reading fumefx now,... just not right, i guess,...?

any clue to where I'am going wrong?

JohnnyRandom
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Sounds to me like you are using the turbosquid ACAP installers, which are incidentally, TOTALLY screwed up. Whomever the genius was that assembled them for Sitni Sati had max2009 installing in max9 and vice versa and Max9 uninstalling max2009 or something similar (i wnet through some painful days of trying to figure out what the hell was going on) needless to say Sitni Sati are building there own installers now and I recommend getting them there instead.

joosedat
02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
ok its done, for the demo its only 32bit, and for 3ds max 9 not 2009,... so uninstall max 2009, re-install max 9, install fumefx and boom! it works,..

thanks for the help,..
next step grabbing me a real copy!

tool2heal
02-18-2009, 01:15 AM
i have a question.

How i can let die the smoke.

I use Superspray or Particle flow. The partikels is delete but the smoke is always on.

sory about my english^^

You can turn the smoke dissipation min density up more,to like 2 or so. in the simulation tab (smoke settings) and you can also turn the setting in the object tab for smoke to set instead of add.

hope im being clear enough.

pauldublin
02-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi guys, check out this, there's some nice stuff going on in it. There's a Quicktime link there also...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=731318

JohnnyRandom
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for sharing Paul, cool ad :)

xcelon
02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could help me out...I haven't gone through every page in this thread, but I have tried searching and I can't seem to figure this out.

I want to have a fireball come in from off the side of the view and collide into an invisible object, therefore engulfing the object in flames revealing the shape of the object. Then I want the flames to die out, leaving the object completely visible.

The hardest part for me is trying to figure out how to get the object to engulf into flames after being struck by the fireball. Does anyone know how I can go about achieving this?

TwiiK
02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
In my opinion you can only do the most basic of effects with the included fumefx sources. If you want anything more advanced you have to use a particle system like Particle Flow and a fumefx particle source. There just isn't enough control in just fumefx.

I would first try to make the particles do what you want, in this case engulf the text, then apply fumefx to the particles. This goes for nearly any fume effect in my opinion.

Also, how would the invisible object be visible if the flames have died out? Just curious. :)

Glacierise
02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Go the funny way! Make the object a source, either with object source or cover it with particles. Make it emit only fuel, temperature a bit lower then the ignition point. Then the fireball will just ignite it - fuuuuuuuuuun! :D

Glacierise
02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
It needs to emit just fuel, no smoke and temperature.

xcelon
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your quick replies guys.

I have tried using pflow to create the fireball but it looks very unrealistic. I can get it to engulf the other object for the most part, but the unrealistic fireball hurts the effect. I have tried using 2 object sources like Glacierise suggested but I can't seem to get the settings right so that my object doesn't render the fire before the fireball hits it. Hope that makes sense

UbiGuy
02-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Thank You Paul.

Nice ad...

I have an of topic question...

Anyone know a good web hoster and a good video hoster

I have already post on vimeo and youtube my explosion but I want to create my own webpage for my demo reel.

You can send me private message to avoid filling this thread with off topic content!

Thank you!

Schnitzil
02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Whoops. Posted this from an old account from years ago, didnt use and forgot I had. Please ignore.

davidjon
02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if you can help me...When I render fumefx with GI in vray with camera motion blur turned on, I get this black blotches, while when I turn it off, it goes away...Thanks in advance.

Schnitz
02-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for your quick replies guys.

I have tried using pflow to create the fireball but it looks very unrealistic. I can get it to engulf the other object for the most part, but the unrealistic fireball hurts the effect. I have tried using 2 object sources like Glacierise suggested but I can't seem to get the settings right so that my object doesn't render the fire before the fireball hits it. Hope that makes sense

Try using the mapping slot under the Fuel amount in your Fume source. Place an animated black and white map such as a noise map to emit fuel based on the white intensity of the material.
Presto!

xcelon
02-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks Schnitz, I'll give that a shot.

Edit: I realized that once I start animating the map, it really slows down my ability to scrub through the timeline. Is that normal? Does anyone seem to have that problem with animated gradients?

Schnitz
02-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Yeah I get that too. If you want a smooth preview of you map you can render a preview in the material editor. Also close the material editor when you dont need it so it doesnt have to keep rendering every frame of the animated map when you scrub.

disparity
02-25-2009, 01:33 AM
Hi!

How can I achieve to have Smoke last longer and to dissipate slowly? I've played with almost all parameters but couldn't get a good result.

PexElroy
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
@ davidjon - if you have a file I can look it over; it could be a bug with V-ray and FFX + motion blur.

@ diisparity - this can be tweaked (somewhat) with the tab Sim > Smoke. Diss. Min. Density will trigger the lowest smoke voxel threshold value to start smoke dissipation.

To view what the smoke voxels are, first sim some smoke. Then choose the FFX container and go to its Modifier settings panel. Turn on the display channel for the Smoke @ 0.1 (to show in Viewport) and check on Show Slice. Next check XY (or another axis if better) and check on both Grid and Numerical Value. Now scrub your frames a bit and you should see green numbers (might have to move grid and zoom in). The green #s are the smoke's density values to know the best Diss. Min density setting. Dissipation Strength will set how quick the smoke fades out to nothing. Set below 10 is slow and steady, over 20 is faster, and over 50 is real quick. Try to sim at first a high step size and lower it as you shape it.

wish FFX had a volume gizmo with a falloff we could use to kill smoke / fire.

joosedat
03-01-2009, 02:52 AM
i can't see my smoke in the output preview window when i play the sim? the only time i can see the smoke in the output preview is durring its calculation when the preview window is open,... second i can render the smoke eaither?

i have no idea how or why this is happening? i un-installed and re-installed,. but came up with the same result?

it was working fine,.. could it be a licence issue? i re-authorized my licence,..

any help would be great!

CapitanRed
03-01-2009, 03:09 AM
see your playback settings in the general tab of the FFX window

joosedat
03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
well it works now,.. but i have no idea what has now made it work?

things are smooth now, thanks for the help,.. it might have been a ram issue,

thanks again for the helps!

SuperGizmo
03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm following this thread...
Then I do my tests...
Then I come back here, and see what you guys are coming up with.
...and I get depressed...

I get nowhere near what you guys are doing, and this is killing me...
Please share some tutorial for fume's sake!!

ddustin
03-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Hey,
We dusted off our copy of FumeFX and have started using it for testing.
After reading throuhg a good share of the posts in this thread (a great thread BTW) we still have some questions...

We never did use FumeFX for netrendering.

If I understand things correctly:

You can network render in scanline (I am assuming you need to install fumeFX on all render nodes).
To network render with FumeFX and MR you need licensed versions on all render nodes (are there less expensive render node licenses?). It would seem to be really expensive to be required to purchase a full seat of FumeFX for a render node...
Can you use Vray with FumeFX without jumping through hoops?
Can you netrender with Vray and FumeFX on the entire render farm?

Thanks,
David

JonathanFreisler
03-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Rendering Fume in Vray is FAR from jumping through hoops. Untill the last fume release it wasnt compadible with MR, only Vray and default. You dont need to 'set it up' or anyhting to work with different renderes, it will receive GI ect as long as you tell fume too.

And yes an installed version of fume is required on all render nodes (like any plugin). If they have any special form of 'render' license im not too sure, Somone else will be able to answer that for you.

floopyb
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
it will receive GI ect as long as you tell fume too.

Hey Jonathan, you mean it will cast GI, not receive yeah? Fume will not receive GI in Vray.

JonathanFreisler
03-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Sorry, yeh your right fume only receives GI in vray. I even re-read that and didn't notice anything wrong lol, even i'm going crazy.

DID IT AGAIN.... only generates GI, not receives!

jimmy4d
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Then I do my tests...

Yeah I felt that way too dude but hang in there and keep simming.:argh: It took me a great deal of time (longer than most). But i feel better about what i can do. Will post as soon as I get 1 min of time.

ddustin
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Then I do my tests...

What we do is follow the tutes that came with FumeFX and download other projects people have posted. We reverse engineer them to understand how they acheived the effects they did.

David

GreySize
03-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm a new user of Fume fx and i'm searching for a solution to mix two different smoke ( for example, one blue colored and the other one red ) in the same simulation. Thank you for helping me.

JohnnyRandom
03-13-2009, 05:06 PM
You can presently have only the colors you specify in the rendering tab on a single fumefx grid. You can fake it by using two fumefx simulations, each with different colors but they will not interact with each other.

GreySize
03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank's for answering, i need these interactions between smokes so i'll search an other way to do this .

JohnnyRandom
03-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Something interesting for you VRAY users

VRay Volume Fog (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/examples_vrayenvironmentfog.htm#ex4)

renaissance01
03-14-2009, 01:55 AM
wow, some very cool stuff there Johnny, thanks for sharing dude :beer:

CapitanRed
03-14-2009, 02:31 AM
well, you can sim your fume and then make particles follow from the sources trough the fume, and color the particles. you can render then with krakatoa high particle counts.

JohnnyRandom
03-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Gees and more cool shit! Take a look at Houdini 10's new fire and smoke tools!

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1464&Itemid=316

renaissance01
03-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey guys,

I've just posted up my updated FX Reel. Has alot of Fume/Pflow stuff in it so i thought i would share it here as well. You can find it here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5740807#post5740807

Hope you like!

Cheers:beer:

JonathanFreisler
03-14-2009, 12:02 PM
John, those are really cool. Whens Houdini 10 out?

Bandu
03-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Very cool Alex! I like your reel :thumbsup:

Bandu
03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm a new user of Fume fx and i'm searching for a solution to mix two different smoke ( for example, one blue colored and the other one red ) in the same simulation. Thank you for helping me.

You can use the density to tint smoke with different color, but different color like I understand you want it, doesn't work. I think you want like Maya's Fluid color emission?
There is no color information in Fume's voxels. The shader works density based.

cheers,
Bandu

jimmy4d
03-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Johnny.......that's cool as hell..............thanks for shairing.

Alex.very nice real, there are some great sims in there. well done mate.

JonathanFreisler
03-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello everyone,

You could try doing somehting like, running pflow through one sim, and having its velocity influeicne another sim (so it inherits motion). Might be a cool RND test.

JohnnyRandom
03-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Nice Reel, Alex :) the road collapse is nice polished, like the building collapse too:thumbsup:

Jono, not sure its in beta now. sweet looking upgrade though, aye!

renaissance01
03-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Bandu, James, John - Cheers guys! :D

jimmy4d
03-16-2009, 02:21 AM
just thought I would post me latest.........
http://www.3dglove.com/09/one_2.mov

Ingsoc75
03-16-2009, 02:48 AM
I was thinking if anybody would be interested in starting a 'library' of FumeFx scenes that contain common effects that are used (smoke trails, types of explosions etc.)?

I think this would not only make it easy for people to learn by 'dissecting' scenes but could also save some time for people who want to use FumeFx with projects.

I could even donate some webspace. :)

ddustin
03-16-2009, 03:47 AM
I agree, it always helps to have a project to reverse engineer.
David

jimmy4d
03-17-2009, 01:12 PM
ok I need help here.....I do a fume sim and render looks cool .....then I out put to AE and comes out like my last post...looks like dodo. can I get some advise as to how some of you out put your work from max to AE using Fume, (or whatever comp program your using). should I use rpf,tga what do I do with the alpha's, I think my work looks better then what I'm doing to it in my comp process. I'm going to start looking into asap........

JonathanFreisler
03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
James, it doesn't really vary between file types (targas, tiff,s, rps ect) in the way pre multiplying is processed (ie they all pretty much do the same thing). If you render out a fume sim on black for comping, then bring it into after effects and interpret the alpha as 'pre multiplied' it will look the same as you max frame buffer. RPFS are good in the respect they can store other channels (velocity, z-depth, object id, mad id ect).

I split my renders up as you would expect. My fume renders are done on black most of the time with matte/shadow (vray material wrappers ect to achieve the same result). There rendered out as rpf's for motion blur, and then simply dropped into the comp, pre multiplying all the time (rare occasions ignoring the alpha and using a blending mode such as screen).

Can you show a before and after of a frame from max to AE?

disparity
03-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Just wondering...which one is better to animate a realistic fireball - afterburn or fume?

TwiiK
03-17-2009, 09:30 PM
What kind of fireball and from how far away will it be seen?

Afterburn will never produce as realistic results as fumefx, but sometimes you can get away with using afterburn because you just don't need fluid simulation for your effect.

disparity
03-17-2009, 09:49 PM
@TwiiK

What kind of fireball and from how far away will it be seen?
Very near distance to far distance (1st person shooter-like). The fireball should explode also when it hits a wall.

Another question: Is Afterburn obsolete now, or can it produce things FumeFX can't?

TwiiK
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
So you're talking about the magic spell kind of fireball? :) Most people here when they mention fireballs are talking about the fiery explosion kind like what you get from a fuel explosion or similar.

I would not say Afterburn is obsolete because you can create some really quick, neat effects with Afterburn and like I said if the effect is going to be seen far away you would not really need the fluid movement anyway. Also for static effects like clouds etc. Afterburn is great.

Afterburn also requires a lot less from your system where FumeFX requires a beast of a machine for more complex simulations.

Here's some examples of both so you can the differences if you haven't already.

Afterburn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhFB3GaHNms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=890A5xXCYnQ

FumeFX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEKJbDEP7kY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWkXQoY5YA

As you can see there's a lot more detail and realism in the fumefx effects because every "particle" of the effect is aware of the surrounding "particles" (they're called voxels actually) and thus they transfer temperature etc. to eachother to create complex fluid simulations.

Afterburn relies on the particles in a particle system for movement and thus how good they movement looks depends on how much work you put into the particle system. You can also of course use fumefx to give fluid movement to the particles used with Afterburn.

Try to get demos of both to see for yourself what both plugins are capable of and then choose which one is needed for your effect.

disparity
03-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks Twiik, your reply is much appreciated.

jimmy4d
03-18-2009, 03:16 AM
James, it doesn't really vary between file types (targas, tiff,s, rps ect) in the way pre multiplying is processed (ie they all pretty much do the same thing). If you render out a fume sim on black for comping, then bring it into after effects and interpret the alpha as 'pre multiplied' it will look the same as you max frame buffer. RPFS are good in the respect they can store other channels (velocity, z-depth, object id, mad id ect).

I split my renders up as you would expect. My fume renders are done on black most of the time with matte/shadow (vray material wrappers ect to achieve the same result). There rendered out as rpf's for motion blur, and then simply dropped into the comp, pre multiplying all the time (rare occasions ignoring the alpha and using a blending mode such as screen).

Can you show a before and after of a frame from max to AE?

jon thanks man...:beer: .....that makes sence,,,,,I gotta work on that stuff......some buddys over at simpycg gave the same advise and my problem was pre multiplying on render. and other things.....
gonna redo and post....thanks mate this kinda help is priceless :bowdown:

oh if you look at the still I posted it's right out of max . compare that to the same fram in my animation..,,,,

UbiGuy
03-20-2009, 04:16 AM
For the moment FumeFX did not allow two shaders in the same Grid... :(

Anyone ever find a work around for that?

sesim
03-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi all.

Im new to fumeFx but im getting along.

Now i thought why not use the smoke in one of my studio shots,, well..

First dont realy know how to get that sort of smoke so i realy could need ur help here.

See picture for what im after.

/sesim

JohnnyRandom
03-20-2009, 10:20 PM
MMMnnn fogger

Low temperature is your friend, ie set a low low (10.0) temp in your source, low smoke dissipation.

sesim
03-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Anb blow it out with wind all over the floor?

/s

JohnnyRandom
03-20-2009, 10:58 PM
You can use a wind space warp, or drive it with the source itself, just boost the directional parameter or better yet use both:) you can also use a simple source with smoke disabled fuel disabled smoke disabled and boost the directionals.