PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Malcolm7
02-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Small video but nice..It moves the way a thick cloud of smoke should move.

Rif
02-19-2008, 12:01 AM
oh ya , its always small in Gif.. Go Watch "the Mist " if you wanna see it in big hehee ( well not exactly that setup , those are simply "trash tests" done at home )

SoLiTuDe
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Solitude your right , but i m stating more than just that.. I m stating that From ALL the tests i did , Its Totally useless to put hours of more sim times for more quality than 6.. As you mentioned , Nothing ( not quality , not iterations) will Beat More voxels in your simulations ! .. so Lower your sim time of your "Environement Fluid Setup" and then Add more voxels and youll get even Better quality for the Same Amount of time that you would with Quality = 10 .

And Malcom .. hold your horses , i said i Dont "hate" the guy , dosnt mean i like his work .. dont push it ! hehe

Heh... Voxels rule. And while your tests might show that quality over 6 is useless, Allan may have come to the conclusion that quality of 10 kicks ass. It's great that you want to share your info / research / findings with people and that you want people to be able to use the software efficiently, but don't you think saying, "Just so you guys know, in my tests I concluded that a quality of over 6 shows no increase in quality for the time spent simming and that more voxels is a better way to get quality out of your sim" instead of "Allan in wrong don't do what he says!" (total exaggeration there) might've sounded a bit better!? :)

Rif
02-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Solitude , i m , and will always be , a Big puff of emotions that dosnt know how to express my self in english.. that will never change.. so yes granted , you can find alot of words i should have used instead of other words .. but in the buttom line , the big point is i hope , still passing through clearly ..

cheers,

depleteD
02-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Rif That is really nice, thats how I like to do my fume aswell, I like using particle based emmision and particles to push and warp the grid around.

Rif
02-19-2008, 12:11 AM
yes depleteD , this is , from what we found , the best way to get scale\speed over low memory footprint .. Fume Sources By themself still can do at least 80 % of where you want them to go ..

Malcom , heres a nice video tutorial that a good friend did that is always part of this cooking process that i use in Fume to achieve my goals :

http://www.cebasusa.com/m_o_v_e_e/TPFume01/TPFume01.html (http://www.cebas.com/news/read.php?UD=10-7888-33-788&NID=203)

their should be a flash video on that page somewhere ( the big image i think)

SoLiTuDe
02-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Solitude , i m , and will always be , a Big puff of emotions that dosnt know how to express my self in english.. that will never change.. so yes granted , you can find alot of words i should have used instead of other words .. but in the buttom line , the big point is i hope , still passing through clearly ..

cheers,

hehe that's fine man, your point comes across just fine (especially in the last few posts). :) And that mist gif looks awesome btw

JohnnyRandom
02-19-2008, 12:36 AM
LOL a new soap - "As the Voxels Burn" :D

entrancea
02-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Allright so conclusion.....

Sim Quality = 6 ..... Check...

Iteration = between 120 to 200!!.....Check....

Grid Spacing = depends on what your simming for and how much detail you want.....Double Check......

What else am I missing?:bounce:

Regards,
Entrancea

Rif
02-19-2008, 04:00 AM
entrancea, for the iterations , it really depends , For most of our fire setups , we use a Maximum of 20 Cg iterations to tear apart our fire but never more than 6 quality .. then add some voxels and some particles swirling around and you get something unique and cool ..

Rif
02-19-2008, 04:59 AM
To continue in the same line of thoughs , for an explosion of the sort , something like this would be a starting point ..

http://cgfluids.mba-studios.com/download/file.php?id=4

and this starting point doesnt use more than 20 Cg iterrations with 3 substeps every frames ..

entrancea
02-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the reply Rif....Well what does Iteration exactly do?Could you tell me lil about it.....I mean when its low does it make break the fire up a lot and when I turn the iteration up it does the opposite?

Also in the video above...how could I get that kind of broken up fire?

Regards,
Entrancea

Rif
02-19-2008, 06:36 AM
buy fume fx , register to cgfluids and ask the same question :)
their is so not alot of time to answer and do tutorials and etc... but when their is time, we ( cgfluids moderators) prefer answering in an organized and re-usable way so that every1 else can re-look and not loose informations, answers and explications ..
thats the only idea behind cgfluids.. its not a competition forum , but more of an wikipedia ( at least trying to be ) of knowledge in the softwares that we know best .. The forum follows ( atm ) really tightly both Thinking Particles ( soon 3.0) and Fumefx1.1

cheers,

Malcolm7
02-19-2008, 11:49 AM
So I guess Rif wasn't on crack after all.This would of been a great exchange of knowledge between Allan and Rif, if Allan didn't see it as a war.
Assumption is the mother of all F**k ups, no wonder he deleted his own comments.
Great job with the infos Rif.
Long live freedom of speech :buttrock:

Cryptite
02-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Let's not worry about who believes who is right and whether or not Allan's trying to steer us all in the wrong direction. CG is subjective and all the audience cares about is the end result, because 9 times out of 10 they don't care how it was done, so long as it looks pretty.

At any rate, let's get this thread back on track with some nice examples, some of which I may actually try to post here in a few days as I wrap up some projects i've been doing.

Before I end on this, though, I have to say @Rif, to respect everybody who comes here to visit this thread; please keep in mind that people are coming here to talk and learn about Fume FX and learn from the pros and their examples however they may choose to show their work. As a result, I kindly ask that you refrain from comments like "buy fume fx , register to cgfluids and ask the same question."

I understand you want to drive some traffic to cgfluids, and you're against the undeniable piracy that's around, but this thread is here on CGtalk for people to use, not for you to tell people that you won't help them unless they post at cgfluids.

The kind of wikipedia things for plugins are often read by people who don't have it yet because they want to do some research about what kind of things the plugin can do and what kind of community works with it. The sitni-sati page for Fume is pretty dull and the gallery/movies are only a small part of what Fume is capable of. Restricting information, in my opinion at least, only hurts the popularity of a plugin, rather than helps it.

I digress, though, and hopefully I can show you guys some stuff i've done with Fume in a few days.

Cheers!

-Cryp

amckay
02-19-2008, 03:55 PM
hold on a minute I'm not making out any type of 'war' there were a few posts directed at me saying what I'm doing is stupid and that if you use 'these settings' your stuff is going to turn out useless.

no offense but this is software, I'm happy to help and have been contributing for 10+ years to these and other forums. I deleted my posts because I couldnt believe I got sucked into this debate, which I had let go initially to avoid this whole discussion.
At the end of the day I none of this phases me, its software its not life. if someone was picking on beer and saying beer sucks - hey I might get upset. but if someone says mac or microsoft or cebas or whatever is a superior product or hey you're using too many samples you're an idiot ! then I'm going to laugh it off and go about my day.

so just to clarify I deleted my posts because none of this is contribution to a forum, and its a waste of time - I tried to give clarification as to what largely non drastic a few sample settings were, and reiterate my motives. however some people have made this into more than it is.

so I dont know about you, but I've moved on with my day and not given it another thought.

Phibmobil
02-19-2008, 04:13 PM
is this now a flame war ? :shrug:

Erka2
02-19-2008, 05:36 PM
buy fume fx , register to cgfluids and ask the same question
Lol, it's a nice way of knowledge sharing and participating in this thread.

Rif
02-19-2008, 05:39 PM
i dont fully understand why pushing for purshasing fume fx is a bad idea..

The buttom line is :

You can just not buy it , and come here and try to get knowledge from peoples that Claim has the knowledge but that dont , and get misscarried and do whatever or "ok " effects at the end with the software ( cause without joking , Fume fx is powerfull enough that you only need to press sim and you get some fluids no matter what ! ) , or you can just take the proper path , buy a software thats not really good to Hack anyway ( limitations) and get through the proper channels to get exactly the kind of support that you would expect from peoples that are more than knowledgable in it..

And Cryptite: You can Help anywhere you want .. I have the right to help to an extend anywhere i want as well .. and i beleive that real advices from knowledgable peoples ( i mean Kreso is even helping on cgfluids sometimes , and Edwin as well ;) ) deserves to go to legit owners of the softwares.. thats all ..And i think you missed some examples i showed and explinations ..

And Allan : " so just to clarify I deleted my posts because none of this is contribution to a forum, and its a waste of time -" : Great job Allan .. the truth is that your Wrong advices are the real waste of time here.. And the Double probleme with that is your charging for giving them ! But thats fine , you do whatever to take advantage of others and its not of my business , but telling peoples hhow to properly setup their fume fx Gobal Dynamics settings ( in this example) is not a waste of time..

I couldnt care less honestly ..

Edit : Entrancea , i just wrote in the tutorials section of the fume fx group on cgfluids a step explination as of how to do an explosion start up basic like the gif i showed you and that you asked me questions about how to reproduce so you wont have to ask the question again once their ;)

Re- edit : Sorry if this whole thing seems to come out rude , its not intended , granted i do carry some wounds from Allan and i m sadly not easily capable of forgeting about them but nevertheless , for me , this small little quality thingy is just a constant between alot of other " defined variables" based on lots of trys to really achieve Grid optimisation and maximum artistic control and seeing this as being "omited" it means that the artist is needing alot more " pushing delivry limits" to really start understanding the solver's behavior in production.. at least to me this is what it shows , but even then showing this as a preview as of " Hey this is whats gonna be more in my product " and this will be something "Essencial To know " in fumefx actually ringed another bell and thats even before i " consider" that it was from Allan ..

For the next Posts concerning the legidity "emphisism " from my side toward sharing knowledge on Cgfluids and not here ; Dont get me wrong , i m in no way not encouraging knowledge sharing anywhere (and Cgtalk is a pretty good one to share cg knowledge on) its simply for whoever is out their that use it , produce and deliver shots with it , wants some fast support , productive help and knowledge based sharing any time im in front of a computer basicly ( and Joe is holding up his side as well pretty well i must say :) ) .. ( jimmy4d i m sorry if it seemed "doll as hell " ( i dont remember the exact words sorry) but im actually really happy when they are not important questions and less activity ! it means that peoples are not experiencing problemes in the products :) .. Anyhow , that kind of help i want to offer for legit users .. thats all i m saying ..

Cheers,

joconnell
02-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Everyone pints in canada!

JohnnyRandom
02-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Everyone pints in canada!

on me!:beer:...err, at least the first round anyway...

Cryptite
02-19-2008, 09:15 PM
if someone was picking on beer and saying beer sucks - hey I might get upset.

Large understatement.

In the end it's up to the user himself what method he chooses and whatever works, knowledge is knowledge and, to a guy who's been making video tutorials for years and years, it's all the same we should thank him for the work he puts into his tutorials, and not blatantly tell him what he's doing is wrong. He's in the industry for a reason.

Beers all around!

entrancea
02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Edit : and on a last note : Entrancea , i just wrote in the tutorials section of the fume fx group on cgfluids a step explination as of how to do an explosion start up basic like the gif i showed you and that you asked me questions about how to reproduce so you wont have to ask the question again once their ;)
cheers

Now would a simple statement like the above one would have been better in the first place instead....:D

And I love Allans Tutorials or whatever he releases...Its a pleasure to learn from him....So anyone who is releasing all these tutorials over a decade knows what he is doing everyonw has his own way of working....The 5 fingers of a hand are never the same....
;)

Regards,
Entrancea

PS:-I Love Beer:beer:.....

jimmy4d
02-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Wow I leave for a tad and allen and rif go at it....:bounce: ......how cool is that. Sorry rif all my money is on allen. We all know he is one of the best 3d fx dude out there. But what sets him sooo far apart from you is he is more of an artist then you. ya I know you know whats best and yes your work is simply awesome :wise: but, allen asked for nothing in return when gives you advise HERE on this thread. You,,,,,, you say go to cgfluids and I will help you there. I have been there and that place is like a morge. no thanks, I think your pist allen did a tut cd on your software and you think you should of. well with that off me chest rif I do want to thank you for sharing your advise but its all about art, and how you do it is no one mans way........lets all kaboomstuff.:thumbsup:

entrancea
02-20-2008, 01:35 AM
well with that off me chest rif I do want to thank you for sharing your advise but its all about art, and how you do it is no one mans way........lets all kaboomstuff.:thumbsup:

At a Boy Jimmy.....Well said....Lets keep the explosions coming people.....And I aint talkin just bout the Verbal Ones.....Sorry Rif...But I definitely would have to root for Allan....

depleteD
02-20-2008, 01:41 AM
Lets just keep in mind cgtalk is about shareing our knowledge so that everyone can benefit by furthering our understanding of the software. What I recommend is if anyone wants to recommend a way to work, back up their advice with why this is a good way to work and why it works for them. This is all opinion here. Lets keep things objective.

superhypersam
02-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Regarding the quality question

I think we will have to see the whole DVD before commenting further, there may be an explanation given to justify those settings.
But the quality set to 10 does seem a lil pointless, I have generally not seen much diff in upping the quality past 5 or 6, but hey maybe there is a reason?
Allan, do u know specifically what is happening as u up the quality spinner?
Rif, do u know why quality past 5 or 6 has a no effect?

Regarding the wrong and right way of doing things.

Though it’s true much of our jobs are very subjective, there are certain elements that are indeed black and white. There are often many approaches, but inside of that approach there is generally a correct way of doing things, Render settings, Fluid Sims and dynamics all have very specific rules. By writing them off as simply different methods does very little to help us further our abilities with said tools. Much like creating a sphere with 3000 polys and a million polys, both will look pretty much the same when rendered, but one will take a significant amount of time more. In production if quality is king, then time is the queen!

Regarding the sharing of knowledge

I am a big fan of this open forum of discussion that allows all level of artists to share info and experience, I know I personally benefited.
But specialized in-depth knowledge is a commodity, and the fact that both developers and industry experts want a place to help paying customers, without wasting time on hobbyists seems fair enough. We often lump Autodesk, Avid, Alias(who?) Siti Sini, Chaos Group, and Cebas into one big group, but there is a huge difference between autodesk and your average plugin developer, autodesk can laugh off all the pirated versions of max, and maybe even turns a blind eye as it often brings in new customers over the long haul.
But someplace like Siti Sini (maker of Fume) is just one guy trying to make a living, not some huge mega corp. I know many a plugin developer that has to go to production work just to make the ends meet. (Meaning slower evolution of your favorite plugin) So advocating for the little guy, and trying to create a forum for those that support there efforts seems noble.

Regarding Allan an Riff
I have had the pleasure of working with both these cats.
I learned much from Allan’s Advanced VFX DVD and still recommend it to beginners, and we had a good time slogging threw many a hour of Blur production (im still sleepy)
The last year or so I have worked directly/indirectly with Rif, have learned a wealth of knowledge regarding TP and Fume, to be honest, I have bin kinda blown away by the quality of what Rif has pulled of in Fume.
Both talented both got big mouths. Though if u ignore the bickering something to learn from both.

cheers

Rif
02-20-2008, 05:21 AM
Sorry if this whole thing seems to come out rude , its not intended , granted i do carry some wounds from Allan and i m sadly not easily capable of forgeting about them but nevertheless , for me , this small little quality thingy is just a constant between alot of other " defined variables" based on lots of trys to really achieve Grid optimisation and maximum artistic control and seeing this as being "omited" it means that the artist is needing alot more " pushing delivry limits" to really start understanding the solver's behavior in production.. at least to me this is what it shows , but even then showing this as a preview as of " Hey this is whats gonna be more in my product " and this will be something "Essencial To know " in fumefx actually ringed another bell and thats even before i " consider" that it was from Allan ..

concerning the legidity "emphisism " from my side toward sharing knowledge on Cgfluids and not here ; Dont get me wrong , i m in no way not encouraging knowledge sharing anywhere (and Cgtalk is a pretty good one to share cg knowledge on) its simply for whoever is out their that use it , produce and deliver shots with it , wants some fast support , productive help and knowledge based sharing any time im in front of a computer basicly ( and Joe is holding up his side as well pretty well i must say :) ) .. ( jimmy4d i m sorry if it seemed "doll as hell " ( i dont remember the exact words sorry) but im actually really happy when they are not important questions and less activity ! it means that peoples are not experiencing problemes in the products :) ).. Anyhow , that kind of help i want to offer for legit users .. thats all i m saying ..

cheers,

grury
02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Please guys, take it outside, this discussion is starting to get a bit pathetic and too off topic.. Also dont see the point of some people coming here, taking side A or B, trying to turn up the heat on the argument.

I think Sam Khorshid said it all, so let get on with it now.

entrancea
02-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Allright...Gettin Back to Fume Discussion.....This question is for Allan or if anyone knows it....Allan would be holding a MasterClass in Siggraph this year right?So what topics would he be teaching?Will they be the topics which he covered in his DVD or will there be something more?

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

PS:-Sorry for the rooting stuff and all...Very Deep apologies If anyone was offended...I really love this forum as this is where I learned the most..Thanks to all of you guys for contributing here....Cheers:thumbsup:

amckay
02-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi entrancea, the masterclasses all get announced soon I believe, so there should probably be more in depth information not too long from now. I'm in New York right now so I dont have any of the documents with me.

All of the material is 100% unique and focussed solely around 'fire'. primarily focussed on explosions, flames and a lot of pyro stuff such as propane flames etc. and a lot of advanced pipeline approaches. There'll be a case study on a recent vampire film (Day Breakers) which I just completed (and should be out soon) which goes in depth on creating digital fire as well as tools built and approaches for handling large quantities of effects shots with minimal manpower, and automating a lot of it as well. Also a lot of stuff which I gaurantee noone has seen before. It isnt just fluids but a large range of techniques and approaches, as well as compositing fire and sharing data over multiple packages. Which a majority of the knowledge is cross platform with other packages such as maya and houdini. I'm trying to make this the best class yet, information and content wise.

So I think it should be quite an exciting class to cover. Brandon Davis and I decided to do an elements class this year, which he's handling water and I'm handling fire.

Hope that helps, thanks!

regards,

-Allan

entrancea
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
O Joy O Joy O Joy:bounce: ......Thanks a lot for the info Mate......I'd love to attend urs and Brandons Classes......Well My proprietor sent you an email asking for the schedule..Did you get his mail?

Finally I am going to Siggraph....Very excited...Hope to meet you and all in person....

Regards,
Entrancea

amckay
02-20-2008, 03:44 PM
dont think I got his email - might have slipped through the cracks. if you can send it again to amckay@allanmckay.com that'd be great!

siggraph should be fun, looking forward to it!

entrancea
02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Allright....Thanks a lot....

Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Allan one more question....what would be the fee for your Master Class?Or is it included with the Full Conference Pass of Siggraph...I dont know much about this being my first time and all so thats why I keep buggin u guys.....

Regards,
Entancea

amckay
02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
not a problem - I'm sure a few people are wondering. I'm not sure what the prices are exactly but its something like $200 for 4 classes or something, again I think you have to check the website once it goes live. I think its a pretty good deal, I regret never having the time to go to the classes half the time, as they're usually quite exciting. Bobo, Michelle B, Gary Davis etc. and many other speakers. I'm going to try and make a bit of time to attend this year, so I can school my ass ;)

Cryptite
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Fume now has a CGWiki page thanks to JohnnyRandom. Plugging it here and on the first post.

Fume FX CGWiki (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/FumeFX)

grury
02-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Fume now has a CGWiki page thanks to JohnnyRandom. Plugging it here and on the first post.

Fume FX CGWiki (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/FumeFX)

Awesome!
Big thanks to suppa Johnny.

JohnnyRandom
02-20-2008, 11:14 PM
A small effort to keep all of the good helpful stuff in one (hopefully) easy to access spot.

I'll have to ask around (Allan, Ian, ect.) about posting their scripts there. Be nice to have access to them all in one spot. (if you guys read this drop me a line :))

Anyone feel free to post anything that's helpful or PM me and I'll put it up for you.

There are some extra pages for sample scenes, scripts, and other materials, too.

Disclaimer:If you post stuff that isn't yours ask permission first.:)

entrancea
02-21-2008, 06:21 AM
@Allan : - Mate....Thats a nice deal indeed...But like you said....I gotta keep myself updated with the website,so guess I have to wait....:D

@Johnny : - Dude.....Ur awesome......Brilliant stuff....Thanks a lot....

Regards,
Entrancea

grury
02-21-2008, 08:34 AM
FumeFx 1.1 is now out and ready for downlaod!! :bounce:
As well as AB 3.2

iceman32
02-21-2008, 04:51 PM
As well as AB 3.2

From where? Turbosquids homepage or Afterworks?

PsychoSilence
02-21-2008, 05:34 PM
As well as AB 3.2

yeah! but its highly recommended to wait til the AB fix is out too before u install the fume update since it will destroy the AB 3.2a!!! havent got the AB update email yet...only fume.

grury
02-21-2008, 05:44 PM
From where? Turbosquids homepage or Afterworks?

You should get a mail from Turbosquid.

yeah Anselm, I installed both, and now AB isnt working at all..damn it.

iceman32
02-21-2008, 05:51 PM
yeah! but its highly recommended to wait til the AB fix is out too before u install the fume update since it will destroy the AB 3.2a!!! havent got the AB update email yet...only fume.

Afterworks newest build of AB is 3.2c and was released yesterday. Should been nemed 3.2d in my thoughts but...
Anyway, maybe that will fix the problems?

SoLiTuDe
02-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Hey guys, finally worked out all the kinks to my script... uhhhh.... enjoy!

http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/FumeFx_Scripts

(has a link to scriptspot)

PsychoSilence
02-22-2008, 08:11 AM
checked it out right away! cool stuff! very handy.

entrancea
02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Aaahhh!I was looking for something like this....Great Stuff....Very Handy indeed....Thanks Ian...

Regards,
Entrancea

superhypersam
02-22-2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.giantapestudios.com/fume/dust.gif

fun lil effect based on a tutorial over at cgfluids.

http://cgfluids.mba-studios.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=618

basicly, its a fragmenting object with particle emmsion to drive fume.

done with TP3 and Fume
cheers

p.s. nice script u got there solitude!

JohnnyRandom
02-23-2008, 12:28 AM
damn... that's some nice dust Sam:thumbsup:

entrancea
02-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Hey Guys,

Did one more explosion..Check it out and see.Comments are appreciated.:D

http://download.yousendit.com/809FBA4B36029C93 (http://download.yousendit.com/809FBA4B36029C93)

Regards,
Entrancea

jimmy4d
02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Hey Guys,

Did one more explosion..Check it out and see.Comments are appreciated.:D

http://download.yousendit.com/809FBA4B36029C93 (http://download.yousendit.com/809FBA4B36029C93)

Regards,
Entrancea

I will look when I get home.no QT at work right now.

jimmy4d
02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey guys, finally worked out all the kinks to my script... uhhhh.... enjoy!

http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/FumeFx_Scripts

(has a link to scriptspot)

sweet dude you are the man.

oh ya can you get fume to playblast back. I think that would of been a good tool to watch you animtation.

SoLiTuDe
02-24-2008, 06:19 AM
"oh ya can you get fume to playblast back. I think that would of been a good tool to watch you animtation."

^Whatcha mean? :shrug:

jimmy4d
02-25-2008, 04:28 PM
well a lot of time I'm animatiing a scene and I want see it in a playback. without all the geo. I always use the "animation" tab and "create preview". This works great for high speeds and stuff. Well I can click to see FFx in my viewpoint (as a wireframe) but When I make a preview nothings there. Like in afterburn you can see it.

or Iam I doing something wrong again:eek:

entrancea
02-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I think what Jimmy is trying to say is that when using AfterBurn we can see Afterburn Animation by checking the Helper on in Make Animation Preview from the Animation Tab...But none of the options in the Making Animation Preview seem to show the Fume Paricles expect if only the Fume FX Grid is selected...But I have seen a Fume FX demo video(with the Car spinoff and explosions which we had seen earlier done by a guy)....where we saw shot breakdowns with those Fume Voxels.....

Glacierise
02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi folks, check this out:

http://www.reeldump.com/watch/c5280214e0486b273a5f/FumeFX%20blevey%20fire%20burst

entrancea
02-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Hey Guys,
Any one got a chance to check the explosion I posted a couple of posts ago?

Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi folks, check this out: http://www.reeldump.com/watch/c5280214e0486b273a5f/FumeFX%20blevey%20fire%20burst

Whoa....Very Nice Dude.....Looks Sweet....

Winnie-Pooh
02-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey Guys,help pleaze!
as a simulation of the height limit?

SoLiTuDe
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Jimmy / Entrancea, I get it now, but I have no idea. :shrug: This is a side effect of the limitation of the grid having to be selected. I'll try playing with it later... you might be able to select all of your fume grids then lock the selection (spacebar) , then try doing the animation preview...?

jimmy4d
02-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Jimmy / Entrancea, I get it now, but I have no idea. :shrug: This is a side effect of the limitation of the grid having to be selected. I'll try playing with it later... you might be able to select all of your fume grids then lock the selection (spacebar) , then try doing the animation preview...?

Ahhhh.I will play with that later too. thanks guys

jimmy4d
02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey Guys,

Regards,
Entrancea

:scream: No Qtime here at work:scream:

Will check out at home tonight. sorry I forgot. I like your work dude.

jimmy4d
02-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi folks, check this out:

http://www.reeldump.com/watch/c5280214e0486b273a5f/FumeFX%20blevey%20fire%20burst

oHHHHH......Ilike Ilike, boy this stuff is starting to really come together .aye

Cort3z
02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Guys,help pleaze!
as a simulation of the height limit?

I think you have to play with the "dissipation strength" in the smoke parameters under simulation. I believe if you up the diss. strenght you will have a smoke that dissappears faster.

Or, I just thought of this, you could go into the "obj/src" tab, find your source and go to the smoke parameter. Then you could add a "AFC" to the ammount. I think that that will answer your question. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sence.

Good luck

Glacierise
02-25-2008, 08:23 PM
@entrancea:funky dude, the smoke looks quite afterburney :) You haven't sync-ed the shake with the expl though. It would help to see a shockwave, could create a feeling of scale. By the way, is cam shake in the industry done mostly in 3D, or in post? it would be cool if someone could shed some light on this.

amckay
02-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Glacierise (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=239747) nice work ;)

cort - yep higher smoke dissipation the faster it will fade/die out
same with temperature. and if you want to contain your effect more you can always adjust the velocity dissipation but its very sensitive!

SoLiTuDe
02-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Regarding Fume previews -- click the little + next to enable display :)

Winnie-Pooh
02-25-2008, 11:46 PM
I think you have to play with the "dissipation strength" in the smoke parameters under simulation. I believe if you up the diss. strenght you will have a smoke that dissappears faster.

Or, I just thought of this, you could go into the "obj/src" tab, find your source and go to the smoke parameter. Then you could add a "AFC" to the ammount. I think that that will answer your question. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sence.

Good luck
yeeeee ! Cort3z big thanks!""dissipation strength" this works

:bounce:

jimmy4d
02-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Hey Guys,

Regards,
Entrancea

very smooth looking dude..........

jimmy4d
02-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Regarding Fume previews -- click the little + next to enable display :)

SWEET.....thanks man...............:thumbsup:

jimmy4d
02-26-2008, 01:03 AM
@entrancea:funky dude, the smoke looks quite afterburney :) You haven't sync-ed the shake with the expl though. It would help to see a shockwave, could create a feeling of scale. By the way, is cam shake in the industry done mostly in 3D, or in post? it would be cool if someone could shed some light on this.

I pefer 3d cuz of the control...........I use this meth its awesome.

http://www.simplycg.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48

entrancea
02-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the reply guys....Yeah I do my camera shakes in 3d....Just apply a noise modifier from the Curve Editor to the Camera Target and animate the frequency to the liking of your timing....

Glacearise:-Ur right....Havent synched the shake yet....This was just a test to see my explosions and all.....I'd be adding a few more stuff now......

Ian:-Ur the man dude.......

Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
02-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Huh...Well whatcha know....I found out that even before I read the post Jimmy posted,I was using the same technique for doing camera shakes.....Yup,its gives you very cool shakes and all.....very useful...

Glacierise
02-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Yeah I know about 3D cam shake, just thinking that it would be better to do it in post. you can always render a bit bigger res, FFX isn't slow to render. Will experiment.

PsychoSilence
02-26-2008, 01:53 PM
not necessary fume stuff but VERY nice reference materials:

http://streetlightsxp.blogspot.com/2006/12/schlieren.html

http://web.mit.edu/Edgerton/6.51s/2004/

http://hs-movies.de/index.php/archives/category/defence/

http://hs-movies.de/index.php/archives/category/show/

http://hs-movies.de

jigu
02-26-2008, 03:28 PM
hey anselm thanks for sharing those links...wow some nice highspeed shots reference there.

em3
02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
The Edgerton Center one is cool but the high speed video ones are amazing. There is just no substitue for the chaos of the real thing.

JohnnyRandom
02-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Huh...Well whatcha know....I found out that even before I read the post Jimmy posted,I was using the same technique for doing camera shakes.....Yup,its gives you very cool shakes and all.....very useful...

This is kindof off topic but a great way to do a camera shake:

Grab a dv cam and start filming, imagine your shot and the reaction to it.

pull the footage into max, use the camera tracker (under utilities) and create a tracker and track the footage.

create a dummy and pin the tracker to it

link the dummy to your camera.

mmmnn real camera shake:)

Oh and... you can edit the dummy motion in the track view after your have pinned the tracker to it, incase you want to edit some of the motion

Some other stuff:
If you want to spend a little more time with it...attach the another dummy to the camera target and link it, go back to the first dummy and smooth out the action to the camera. This will give it more of a 3d feel as opposed to a straight 2d track.

amckay
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
cool good work bro ; )

jimmy4d
02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
This is kindof off topic but a great way to do a camera shake:

Grab a dv cam and start filming, imagine your shot and the reaction to it.

pull the footage into max, use the camera tracker (under utilities) and create a tracker and track the footage.

create a dummy and pin the tracker to it

link the dummy to your camera.

mmmnn real camera shake:)

Oh and... you can edit the dummy motion in the track view after your have pinned the tracker to it, incase you want to edit some of the motion

OHHH.sweet . thats what I'm doing next. I want to nail that down. (after I nail FFX)

Going to Shoot footage today. thanks Jon

CarlosA
02-26-2008, 11:19 PM
So I guess Rif wasn't on crack after all.This would of been a great exchange of knowledge between Allan and Rif, if Allan didn't see it as a war.
Assumption is the mother of all F**k ups, no wonder he deleted his own comments.
Great job with the infos Rif.
Long live freedom of speech :buttrock:
dude, you have no clue what your talking about.

asz
02-26-2008, 11:41 PM
There has been a great deal of debate about the settings for “Quality” in FumeFX lately. Hopefully this description will clarify the actual function of this value...

Quality controls the simulation's numerical error by determining how many iterations the simulation uses ( up to the specified maximum iterations ). The higher the value, the smaller the amount of numerical error in simulation. The quality parameter accepts values from 1 to 10, 1 being the highest amount of error ( and minimum amount of iterations ), 10 being the least amount of numerical error ( and maximum amount of iterations ).

For example:

For quality set at 1, 1 + 1 might equal 1.5

For quality set at 10, 1 + 1 would give a result somewhere between 1.999999 and 2.00001

Numerically, it is obvious that a higher quality setting creates a more accurate solution, however, in most cases at the cost of many extra iterations during simulation ( read - lots of time ). Also, in *most cases* the precision of a solution simulated with quality 10 will be visually indistinguishable from a simulation of quality 6 or 7 with appropriate max iterations settings.

Situations where numerical error is more apparent involve fast moving objects or high velocities. Numerical error will get magnified the larger the values you are working with – for example, very fast moving objects ( deflectors ) or very fast moving fluids.

For most cases, setting quality to 7 and having a higher maximum iteration value will allow fume to adaptively decide how many iterations to use and will achieve great results - with a good balance on simulation time. Unless you have all of the simulation power in the world and time to waste, a quality setting of 10 should only be used for the most extreme situations.

---

So sure, everyone can work with a quality setting of 10 and be on their merry way, but that would be too easy ;)

Cheers,
Ari

Malcolm7
02-27-2008, 12:04 AM
CarlosA.... So what are you talking about ?
You have nothing else to do but read in bring back a week old post.I guess you want to show Allan that no matter how old a disscussion was you'll still kiss up to him ..right?

Oh I get it .. you are one of those people who like to be a cheerleader.
I have Allan first 3 Dvds,and I have odered and received Fumefx Essentials Dvd , I was the first one on Cgsociety to post his Fumefx essentials preview videos I was waiting for it to come out since he annouced it.
My opinion at the time only reflected what I saw as Allan reaction and deleting of his post..! I kept it real.

But after more back and forth on this same subject I learned that Allan and Rif have beef in the past ..infact they might even know one another. so I stayed out of it then.

I don't care who you are, if I think that you reacted like an Idiot than I'll call you on it.
But in this case I was wrong about Allan's deleting of his post.. and so " I stayed out of it ".

But go a head chearleed all you want , maybe Allan will let you sleep over his house and give you tips on how to be like him.:thumbsup:

Then end on the subject for me,Knock your self out on this week old post CarlosA.:applause:

entrancea
02-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Hey Guys,the past is past.......Leave it .....Now getting back to those nice camera shake options:bounce: ,Is there any way we can record live video footage inside MAX and use it to crate a camera?

Also is there much difference between rendering Fume with either Vray or Scanline?Or are they almost the same?

superhypersam
02-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Hey Guys,the past is past.......Leave it .....Now getting back to those nice camera shake options:bounce: ,Is there any way we can record live video footage inside MAX and use it to crate a camera?

Also is there much difference between rendering Fume with either Vray or Scanline?Or are they almost the same?

its called camera tracking, u need to use synthise or Bijou, or some other tracking software, long and complex process, but probly not the place to explain as this is a fume thread. lets keep on topic.

I found vray and scanline to be pretty much the same with Fume, with my prefrence been scanline over vray.

Asz:
Nice explanation, that was exactly the info i was looking for, it would be nice if that kind of info on settings was available on all the lil spinners an buttons

cheers

asz
02-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Hey Sam -

Glad to help, though I must credit Kreso for clarifying things for me ( not to mention the wonderful thread here for piquing my interest )... and yes, I agree most documentation is definitely lacking in appropriate detail..

I'm sick of the self-referencing definitions: ie. The quality parameter is for adjusting the quality of the render... blah!

as if we didn't know! ( geez - it's fluid dynamics... not kindergarten! )

grury
02-27-2008, 07:59 AM
There has been a great deal of debate about the settings for “Quality” in FumeFX lately. Hopefully this description will clarify the actual function of this value...

Quality controls the simulation's numerical error by determining how many iterations the simulation uses ( up to the specified maximum iterations ). The higher the value, the smaller the amount of numerical error in simulation. The quality parameter accepts values from 1 to 10, 1 being the highest amount of error ( and minimum amount of iterations ), 10 being the least amount of numerical error ( and maximum amount of iterations ).

For example:

For quality set at 1, 1 + 1 might equal 1.5

For quality set at 10, 1 + 1 would give a result somewhere between 1.999999 and 2.00001

Numerically, it is obvious that a higher quality setting creates a more accurate solution, however, in most cases at the cost of many extra iterations during simulation ( read - lots of time ). Also, in *most cases* the precision of a solution simulated with quality 10 will be visually indistinguishable from a simulation of quality 6 or 7 with appropriate max iterations settings.

Situations where numerical error is more apparent involve fast moving objects or high velocities. Numerical error will get magnified the larger the values you are working with – for example, very fast moving objects ( deflectors ) or very fast moving fluids.

For most cases, setting quality to 7 and having a higher maximum iteration value will allow fume to adaptively decide how many iterations to use and will achieve great results - with a good balance on simulation time. Unless you have all of the simulation power in the world and time to waste, a quality setting of 10 should only be used for the most extreme situations.

---

So sure, everyone can work with a quality setting of 10 and be on their merry way, but that would be too easy ;)

Cheers,
Ari

Thanks Ari, nice explanation.

amckay
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
thanks ari - that makes sense :)

CeeGee
02-27-2008, 05:50 PM
It posible to make this kind of smoke simulation

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3307886/2/istockphoto_3307886_ocean_wake.jpg

to project on ocena to be like boat foam...

Thank you...

superhypersam
02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
http://www.3dplanet.de/tpworld/images/HighTurbulance.gif

This looks a lot like the example u posted , though not exactly.
I imagine it could be altered to get the result u want.

I would try emiting particles across your ocean surface, inherit there velocity and motion
from the ocean surface.
then use those parts as a fume source, push high velocity threw your particle source, and balance with the vorticty settings, and some xyz turb.

Tricky, but doable.

Its one of Rifs examples over at cgfluids, so he can explain the fume stuff in more detail.

cheers

Cort3z
02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I have a problem. I can't render my fume after frame 100. I set the thing under general->output to go from frame 0 to 1000, but still, when it comes to frame 101 I don't get flames in my scene. I have calculated through frame 115 and all that, but in the viewport, if I apply the viewport channels, nothing shows up. Can anyone help me?

Edit: never mind, I just found out. (It's the playback parameters in the general tab if you have the same problem)

amckay
02-27-2008, 08:52 PM
yep there are two parameters you need to change, simulation + playback.

sam yeah frantic films just did some major kickass water stuff using fume and krakatoa to generate all the stuff in conjunction with the water, which is all flood surfaces. totally badass

entrancea
02-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Whoa....Thats totally kickass....

Glacierise
02-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Cool thing with the tech explanations, I'd like more please, would be really helpfull with our effects. My biggest one now is: How does FFX render? I thought it draws gradients between voxels and I'm obviously wrong, because in low resolution I can see boxes, and there wouldn't be box borders if there were gradients. It kind of bugs me, because it makes FFX unusable with large scales - I always see the voxels when they are way more than a system unit big, like 10 sys units, or 100. Not that I can't scale it down, and then use the turb scale to fake a big effect, but still I'd like to know.

Thanks ;)

Cort3z
02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Do anyone know how to make a molotov cocktail? I know how to do it with particles, to apply a object to a particle and have it spanw a lot of new particles when it hits something, but what i want is an acctual 3d object, a bottle, which I can move and do whatever i want with, and just have the FFX fuel inside. I want to be able to make an animation where I throw a bottle with fuel at the floor or something, and then ignite it later with a tourch or something.

If anyone know how to do this, please help me:)

Cheers, Cort3z

Glacierise
02-28-2008, 03:09 PM
If you need it to be a liquid, you should make a fluid sim with glu or RF, then use it (or particless following it) as a source.

In other news, I happily join entrancea, lassjus and all the other folks blowing stuff up all day. Here are a couple from today, crit please:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ICpXAE12Zrw

http://www.youtube.com/v/Zgs333IAZ8E

entrancea
02-28-2008, 03:26 PM
If you need it to be a liquid, you should make a fluid sim with glu or RF, then use it (or particless following it) as a source.

In other news, I happily join entrancea, lassjus and all the other folks blowing stuff up all day. Here are a couple from today, crit please:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ICpXAE12Zrw

http://www.youtube.com/v/Zgs333IAZ8E

:) Sweet dude....very nice....but I guess you could slow your time scale a liiiiitle down towards the end maybe?:D

Regards,
Entrancea

Glacierise
02-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Point taken. Also, I need to fix the smoke so it looks more bulky and less cigarette-like.

jigu
02-28-2008, 05:26 PM
nice explosion tests.....you did camera shake in post? The black screen is visible, that's why camera shake is in post doesn't work better for me becoz we have to crop some of the image parts ( i.e. to move the camera further towards the imageplane in post.)

PsychoSilence
02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
had some sim time today on the other mashine and played with physx and fume...
http://www.3delicious.de/spielwiese/shotgun.jpg (http://www.3delicious.de/spielwiese/shotgun.mov)

http://www.3delicious.de/spielwiese/shotgun.mov

i used the particle flow baker to use the particle shape as object sources and/or fume collsision objects. that´s what i´m really yealous of thinking particles...hope pflow has a particle2object funtion soonish too.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/pflow-baker
http://www.oferz.com/maxscripts.php

to add the baked out shells quickly to fume i used ian´s ffx-src-manager.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/fume-object-source-manager-0

the shotgun itself is a free model from turbosquid so no credits here :)

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-shotgun/364842

-- Sidenote: did this during sim time so its far from being perfect(way too much shells :D) and definitely NOT syncronized (trigger, pump action, muzzle flash & shell ejection). in the next step the shell smoke should come out of the shell front only and should die out after a while (animated temp&smoke controlled by post-ejecten time maybe. like spawning particles for a particle source on the shell front upon ejection that die out after a certain time) BUUUT it´s only a fun project so go ahead and finish it :D .here´s the max file without physx for a broader usergroup: http://www.3delicious.de/spielwiese/shotgun.zip

kind regards,
anselm

entrancea
02-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Well you know another good way of doing camera shakes would be to composite your non-camera shake effect layers in your compositing software and then render it from there as a targa or uncompressed avi or mov sequence and then bring it into Max and then put it on a plate and place it infront of your camera and then add shake to the Target point of the camera keeping in mind to link the plane to your original camera so it doesn't go offscreen and show the black border.....Cheers.:)

Psycho:-Nice scene to play with dude....Cool stuff..

Regards,
Entrancea

jigu
02-29-2008, 04:46 AM
entrancea : you are right and i used to do the camerashake that way but i never link plane to camera becoz if you link plane to camera and thus it decrease intensity of camera shaking. and you get very smooth slow shaking even if you had given higher frequency value to your camera target. so it doesn't work. You have to move further camera towards plane and keep the plane unlinked and give noise controller to camera target which gives perfect camera shaking.

entrancea
02-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Jigu:-I said that I linked the Plane to the MAin camera while the shake is in the Target of the Camera so what happens is that your camera is still getting good shakes but your plane doesn't go off screen...:D ....It seems to give good results and all....By the way..saw yuor Live action footage...Nice work...

Glacierise
02-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Hey very nice scene Anselm! Can see lots of ways going from this.

On the cam shake - I know I should have cropped, but I had rendered too close to the frame border, so it's my fault and not in any way limitation in the method. I definitely thing cam shake should be done inpost unless there is a very specific reason. It's so much faster and cheaper render-wise.

PsychoSilence
03-02-2008, 07:47 AM
the new iron man trailer:

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/iron-man-poster3-big.jpg (http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/28/another-full-iron-man-trailer-launches-holy-sht/)

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/28/another-full-iron-man-trailer-launches-holy-sht/

im posting this because i think i saw some fumefx in there...

kind regards,
anselm

tiger-with-tail
03-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Do anyone know how to make a molotov cocktail? I know how to do it with particles, to apply a object to a particle and have it spanw a lot of new particles when it hits something, but what i want is an acctual 3d object, a bottle, which I can move and do whatever i want with, and just have the FFX fuel inside. I want to be able to make an animation where I throw a bottle with fuel at the floor or something, and then ignite it later with a tourch or something.

If anyone know how to do this, please help me:)

Cheers, Cort3z

I can't see any reason why to have the FFX fuel inside the bottle and it's not that automatic. Is this going to be in 1 sequence? If not I can't see the reason for making it so difficult. I think i would have done it in 4 cuts and with animated maps.

You could also attach a particle to the bottle and spawn 1 particle on hit with a morphed instance.

(Cut1: Camera show the bottle with fuel.
Cut2: Camera show the flying bottle and the hit.
Cut3: Camera show the fuel on the floor/object.
Cut4: Camera show the fuel catch on fire. You would only use fuel in the last cut.)

joconnell
03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Also depending on how far the bottle gets thrown you might end up needing a very large grid to cover the sim area and struggle to get a small enough cell size for nice results...

entrancea
03-02-2008, 04:02 PM
the new iron man trailer:

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/iron-man-poster3-big.jpg (http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/28/another-full-iron-man-trailer-launches-holy-sht/)

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/28/another-full-iron-man-trailer-launches-holy-sht/

im posting this because i think i saw some fumefx in there...

kind regards,
anselm

Thats sweet a** dude.....The tank explosion at the end looked pretty Fumey to me;) ...plus I can already tell this film is gonna be filled with a whole lot of kickass VFX.....Cool....Cant wat for it to get out...

tbrad
03-02-2008, 04:22 PM
the segment at the end with the tank, kindda recognise the music, but cant quite place it anybody want to put me out of my misery?

think its by Black Sabbeth....ironman

amckay
03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I was hoping to work on a lot of the explosions for that film but I got too busy with other stuff :(

looks bad ass, orphanage are doing heaps of fume fx explosions for it

PS. I put up some scripts at : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4986378#post4986378
few are fume fx related

amckay
03-03-2008, 02:40 AM
By the way, released a bunch of tutorials today too - they're mainly introductory tutorials to get people running with maxscript and fume etc.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4987059#post4987059

I'll be doing more, but basically just wanted to knock a few out today in my hotel room with my nasty hangover :)

entrancea
03-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Damn....This is great....Thanks a lot Mate.....Who knows what would we have done without you....:D

Regards,
Entrancea

Darknon
03-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks Allan. I bought your new fumefx dvd, and it's very good. there was alot of stuff I didn't quite understand before I got the dvd, like tempature, and Ignition, and stuff like that. So, thanks alot for making them...

I'm working on a flamethrower for my d-day movie :)

amckay
03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Ronnie! you got any new previews of your film? haha that was the coolest thing I ever saw
entrancea you're welcome ;)

PyschoSilent msg'd me earlier today saying my sites reached their bandwidth limit so I'll have to mirror them
anyone wanna mirror them? :)

entrancea
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Ronnie! you got any new previews of your film? haha that was the coolest thing I ever saw
entrancea you're welcome ;)

PyschoSilent msg'd me earlier today saying my sites reached their bandwidth limit so I'll have to mirror them
anyone wanna mirror them? :)

So far I got my hands on the PFlow Scripting Part I.....So will upload it and give the mirror here....:D

Allan always a pleasure...

Regards,
Entrancea

PS:-Guys u have to wait for another 1hr30mins from now....Thats when the uploading will finish...And I quote CGTalk during their maintainance...."Go Paint Something";)

jimmy4d
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Damm......:scream: I been trying to get to your site all morning , with no luck. I can mirror to help out if you would like. Just let me Know.

amckay
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
haha cool

Ok so hopefully this works! I'll also update the script too.. hope you guys dont kill my studios website as well, or I'll be out of business :) haha

http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/amckay_scripts_01.rar

tut_FFX2_Explosion1
Very simple tutorial just to jump start people into fume fx land.
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_FFX2_Explosion1.avi

tut_FFX3_FuelMasks1
More on the basics, emitting fuel from masks.
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_FFX3_FuelMasks1.avi

tut_FFX4_PFAB
Using pflow on a per-event level with fume fx.
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_FFX4_PFAB.avi

tut_maxscript1
max script intro 1
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_maxscript1.avi

tut_maxscript2
max script intro 1
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_maxscript2.avi

tut_maxscript3
max script intro 1
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_maxscript3.avi

they will require the techsmith codec (http://www.techsmith.com).

kilroy55
03-03-2008, 09:28 PM
This is jimmy4d I forgot I logged in with my home as a dff email.:shrug: oh well .....thanks allen.

Heres what I'am working on. No animation yet I have to resimulate and work on camera work.

entrancea
03-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Cool...Thanks Allan....But unfortunately I am getting very low bandwidth.....But here is the mirror to the Pflow intro Part I like I said....

tut_maxscript1
max script intro 1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lt8rcm

Thats the only 1 I could download so far....

Regards,
Entrancea

em3
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I can mirror them from my site if needed. - cheers.

amckay
03-04-2008, 02:47 PM
yeah if you guys wanna mirror this stuff go right ahead
I think my bandwidth gets reset every day
as my domains are back up
I gotta get a new host I thinks!

amckay
03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/temp/exp1.mov
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/temp/exp2.mov

this is like a first pass I did of a helicopter exploding, the fx are done over the animatic and all are at low res (90x to 130x spacing) so its far from production quality. but figured I'd throw something up! The second is the same shot just without the big foreground explosion so its more the fire etc.

olipoli1
03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
wow nice i like the fire's shader... is it a standard gradient? or something special?

Bandu
03-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Im working on my private project and did some tests I want to show you for response...

you can see it HD 720p Quicktime (http://www.b3d-animations.com/ffx/grounexplo.mov) or AVI DivX (http://www.b3d-animations.com/ffx/explo.avi)

and LoRes Quicktime (http://www.b3d-animations.com/ffx/grounexplo_small.mov) or AVI DivX (http://www.b3d-animations.com/ffx/explo_small.avi)

is an WIP.

thx
cheers,
Bandu

amckay
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
bandu, thats bloody awesome nice work mate!

PsychoSilence
03-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Im working on my private project and did some tests I want to show you for response...

you can see it HD 720p Quicktime (http://www.b3d-animations.com/ffx/grounexplo.mov) or AVI DivX (http://www.b3d-animations.com/ffx/explo.avi)

and LoRes Quicktime (http://www.b3d-animations.com/ffx/grounexplo_small.mov) or AVI DivX (http://www.b3d-animations.com/ffx/explo_small.avi)

is an WIP.

thx
cheers,
Bandu

i really like the curling and the shader! which parameter did u animate?

olipoli1
03-06-2008, 11:53 PM
looks great the ignition and start part looks real good but i think the particles are a bit too uniform, and maybe the smokes vortices and scaling are a bit out of proportion. What I always find hard to achive is to make the smoke move and behave the way I wanr after a huge force like this and its also hard to make it disipate in a natural maner before it reaches the boundaries of the sim container.

entrancea
03-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Bandu:-Highly Impressive dude:thumbsup:
Nice work...

Regards,
Entrancea

amckay
03-07-2008, 12:49 AM
standard
all the sims are low resolution right now like 90x or 130x pretty tiny.

doing like 3 sims on my box as I work at a time so I'm pretty bogged down : )
I'll put up the settings in a few days (just in a crunch tonight)
but for the most part I just made sure I didnt blow out all the levels so I could tweak it in the comp. I usually work with RGBA space and try to keep them all level so I technically have 4 grey passes to work with, each one can then be a dif colour and I can completely control the look etc.

jigu
03-07-2008, 04:48 AM

is an WIP.

thx
cheers,
Bandu

awsome! That looks totoally explosive.

jimmy4d
03-07-2008, 12:10 PM
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/temp/exp1.mov
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/temp/exp2.mov

this is like a first pass I did of a helicopter exploding, the fx are done over the animatic and all are at low res (90x to 130x spacing) so its far from production quality. but figured I'd throw something up! The second is the same shot just without the big foreground explosion so its more the fire etc.

wow that is really sweet..........:bounce:

jimmy4d
03-07-2008, 12:15 PM

is an WIP.

thx
cheers,
Bandu

very very nice.looks great man.

damm all you guys are really pluging away at this. Me ....still got only one ore in the water
but I will never give up till I blow meself up :)

my little boom........http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8zyU04X9Vm4

amckay
03-07-2008, 03:38 PM
cool work mate

Glacierise
03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Bandy - that's awesome dude, kicks ass and all!

Another thing - how do you guys motionblur FFX? It seems to have the 'image motion blur' channel, but I can't seem to get anything of it. Any tips?

amckay
03-07-2008, 09:55 PM
make sure you're outputting the vector channel (which will add to your ram btw) and add image motion blur in the effects channel. and under afterworks renderer enable output all channels. then add image motion blur to the fume fx container.

hope that helps

entrancea
03-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Hey Guys,
Here is a shot(actually two) of a plane caught on fire and falling towards a city..

Comments are appreciated:)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9167/planell2.th.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=planell2.jpg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBmG2vwP6Ok

Regards,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
03-08-2008, 04:44 PM
awhh crappy youtube compression, bummer...The tailing shot looks sweet, nice camera shake/angle, the profile shot looks good but youtube does it no justice.

Cryptite
03-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice work! I'd say add a little bit more fine detail to the flames and you've got a winner. Great job.

kilroy55
03-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey Guys,
Here is a shot(actually two) of a plane caught on fire and falling towards a city..

Comments are appreciated:)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9167/planell2.th.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=planell2.jpg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBmG2vwP6Ok

Regards,
Entrancea

cool as hell dude.........how did you do the way the clouds moved away from the the nose of the plane was that FFX,AB ??

Ilike this one man:bounce:

entrancea
03-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks Guys:) ,

@Johnny:-I know dude,I'll be putting all these stuff up on my website once I finalise it.Then I'll be giving direct link to my site rather than youtube or Liveleak.

@Cryptite:-Thanks Dude.Funny thing is the Fume for the First shot is actually the Fume Sim of the second Shot....he he:D .....Just to save a lil time I used it twice...But I'll be going to work today and will do a specific high res sim for the First Shot and will repost it.....

@Kilroy55:-Thanks a lot dude....FFX...AB?I'll give you one hint Dude.....None....The clouds which are moving past the planes are AB but the sharp turbulance you see past the tip of the nose....well thats actually done in compositing with manual adjustment of 100 keyframes.....Pheew...

Thanks for the reply you guys,
Regards,
Entrancea

PS:-You guys have any idea where I can get some great music for my showreel?I cant seem to find anything good.....Something like Blur's reel....:)

nitrocom
03-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Compression is very bad cant get the details dude, especially in the tail scene, please higher rez. :)

entrancea
03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Compression is very bad cant get the details dude, especially in the tail scene, please higher rez. :)

Allrights Yous Guys.....;)

Heres the high res version

http://download.yousendit.com/0665CE1452B8E15F (http://download.yousendit.com/0665CE1452B8E15F)

Regards,
Entrancea

nitrocom
03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanx dude :)

Glacierise
03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
make sure you're outputting the vector channel (which will add to your ram btw) and add image motion blur in the effects channel. and under afterworks renderer enable output all channels. then add image motion blur to the fume fx container.

hope that helps

Allan - thanks a lot man.

JohnnyRandom
03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Allrights Yous Guys.....;)

Heres the high res version

http://download.yousendit.com/0665CE1452B8E15F (http://download.yousendit.com/0665CE1452B8E15F)

Regards,
Entrancea

Much better:thumbsup:, rather download a decent version then try to decifer a youtube

Profile shot is catastrophic failure DragonAir should fire the inspectors/mechanics:D

Still really like the tail shot, I could actually see the flap come flying towards the camera, nice touch.

entrancea
03-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Much better:thumbsup:, rather download a decent version then try to decifer a youtube

Profile shot is catastrophic failure DragonAir should fire the inspectors/mechanics:D

Still really like the tail shot, I could actually see the flap come flying towards the camera, nice touch.

Thanks Dude....

he he.....Feel sorry for those poor Engineers.... ;)

Regards,
Entrancea

Cort3z
03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
haha cool

Ok so hopefully this works! I'll also update the script too.. hope you guys dont kill my studios website as well, or I'll be out of business :) haha

http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/amckay_scripts_01.rar

tut_FFX2_Explosion1
Very simple tutorial just to jump start people into fume fx land.
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_FFX2_Explosion1.avi

tut_FFX3_FuelMasks1
More on the basics, emitting fuel from masks.
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_FFX3_FuelMasks1.avi

tut_FFX4_PFAB
Using pflow on a per-event level with fume fx.
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_FFX4_PFAB.avi

tut_maxscript1
max script intro 1
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_maxscript1.avi

tut_maxscript2
max script intro 1
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_maxscript2.avi

tut_maxscript3
max script intro 1
http://www.catastrophicfx.com/tut/tut_maxscript3.avi

When I download these tutorials and then run them in VLC i only hear the sound. The picture is constantly flickering from original to black, and there is a "burn in effect" to it. Do I need a special codec to play them? or maybe a special player. I would really like to see those tutorials.

entrancea
03-11-2008, 08:59 AM
When I download these tutorials and then run them in VLC i only hear the sound. The picture is constantly flickering from original to black, and there is a "burn in effect" to it. Do I need a special codec to play them? or maybe a special player. I would really like to see those tutorials.

It was right there at the bottom of Allan's post dude....Njoy...;)

Glacierise
03-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi folks, here's a big explosion attempt:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_1S4UQTo72I

I have quite a detail in the fireball, damn lowres youtube.

amckay
03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
hey but its a pretty cool voice :) haha j/k - yeah you need techmsith codec. I will also compress the files smaller in future, I upgraded my laptop to vista (big mistake) and now 'lame mp3' codec crashes each time I record, so I had to use a different audio codec which wasnt as good for compression.

I will release more tuts soon on maxscript and fume fx, amongst other stuff. However I'm working 9am-12am most days right now for the coming weeks doh! But definitely more to come. I would be interested to see what people think of the maxscript ones, I totally did them as like "here we are going to show a very simple thing and explain it very much in depth" because there is tons of cool content from bobo and laszlo so I would rather right now contribute something to people who are perhaps struggling a little with getting off the ground with scripting. And then later more advanced content and particle scripting etc.

Glacierise cool explosion : - ) where have I seen that before? haha

Hordak
03-11-2008, 03:52 PM
How do I control the size of my flames? I have an object as an emitter, but my flames seem too big compared to the emitter.

Wicked
03-11-2008, 06:09 PM
hey but its a pretty cool voice :) haha j/k - yeah you need techmsith codec.
That's how my voice sounds too, on a sunday morning haha ;)

I would be interested to see what people think of the maxscript ones
I took a look at the scripts and they are pretty interesting. Personally I liked the vtm about making buttons etc more (That could really help making things easier. Especially for people who are not familiar with (for example) PFlow.) than the introduction to MS, but I do understand that's the basics of MS programming.

Will be looking out for more of your VTMs :)

Hi folks, here's a big explosion attempt:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_1S4UQTo72I

I have quite a detail in the fireball, damn lowres youtube.
Looks good, maybe make the fireball go up a little bit slower..? Or a bit bigger?

The quality of youtube simply sucks! If you need another (;)) mirror.. (Or anyone who needs a mirror!) just contact me.

BTW: You guys familiar with this site: http://www.lucidmovement.com ?

Cort3z
03-11-2008, 10:05 PM

It was right there at the bottom of Allan's post dude....Njoy...;)

Ohh, right, I saw that :p

I should read the whole post before I reply. Im sorry:p

PsychoSilence
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
anyone rendered AB together with FumeFX together in one scene already? Should work in the latest FREE(so not AB4) updated version, right?

is there a true workaround when i wanna cut out the AB from the fume alpha eg.?

thanks in advance,
Anselm

jimmy4d
03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
anyone rendered AB together with FumeFX together in one scene already? Should work in the latest FREE(so not AB4) updated version, right?

is there a true workaround when i wanna cut out the AB from the fume alpha eg.?

thanks in advance,
Anselm

I did, will post later tonight. I added blowing snow to my falling burning car animation. worked ok for me.

FFX 1.0/AB3.2c max2008

jimmy4d
03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
hey but its a pretty cool voice :) haha j/k - yeah you need techmsith codec. I will also compress the files smaller in future, I upgraded my laptop to vista (big mistake) and now 'lame mp3' codec crashes each time I record, so I had to use a different audio codec which wasnt as good for compression.

I will release more tuts soon on maxscript and fume fx, amongst other stuff. However I'm working 9am-12am most days right now for the coming weeks doh! But definitely more to come. I would be interested to see what people think of the maxscript ones, I totally did them as like "here we are going to show a very simple thing and explain it very much in depth" because there is tons of cool content from bobo and laszlo so I would rather right now contribute something to people who are perhaps struggling a little with getting off the ground with scripting. And then later more advanced content and particle scripting etc.

Glacierise cool explosion : - ) where have I seen that before? haha

I'm one of those people that need your script tut's allen they have helped me a great deal understanding how the code works. lot of people look at scipting and go ahhh I just want to load sripts. I on the other hand want to learn to wright them. man they can save so much time later on .

By the way your video tuts compared to your older ones on your site.........man your new ones are so cool crisp and clean. Great stuff IMO.
Oh I did the vista mistake myself. I prefer sever 2008. Rock solid.:buttrock:

Glacierise.....sweet dude looks awsome.:thumbsup:

Hordak
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
How do I control the size of my flames? I have an object as an emitter, but my flames seem too big compared to the emitter.

I would also like to know this:)

Glacierise
03-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Increase the burn rate, reduce the fuel, reduce the temperature or buoyancy, reduce the direcional velocity...

wreath
03-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Hi guys! ffx topic goes crazy exploding stuffs everyday :thumbsup: i burnt a new test too..

(Quicktime 17mb) (http://www.filefactory.com/file/7f24a5/)

Hordak
03-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi guys! ffx topic goes crazy exploding stuffs everyday :thumbsup: i burnt a new test too..

looks nice

Bandu
03-13-2008, 09:54 AM

cool dude!

what I dont like myself is the linear growing motion of the side smoke.
Not this on the ground, thats cool, but the "fingers" ( dont know the english name for that )
should be more "explosiv" I think...

:thumbsup:

cheers
Bandu

Glacierise
03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Can't open it :(

entrancea
03-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Very nice dude.....Like the look and feel.....

Guys have you noticed something that your Fume stuff always looks good against a darker background than compared to a lighter one?Or is it just me?

Cheers,
Entrancea

Glacierise
03-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Hm I've noticed that too. I suppose it's something to do with transparency calculations?

jimmy4d
03-13-2008, 12:35 PM
nice looking stuff guys...........

Heres a great car explotion tut I found..... this dude really goes into great detail and explains a lot about how to get detail into your animation..................ENJOY..........http://tutorials.themaxer.de/carbomb/ffx_car_explosion_tutorial.html

entrancea
03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Well theoritically speaking when we see dark clouds against brighter backgrounds it looks good.....But when we see bright fire against darker background they seem to be good.....Its just the opposite but then again I see explosions with white mushroom clouds turning grey overtime which look good during daytime.....Does someone have a better explanation to this?This seems to be a very interesting topic....:)

Cheers,
Entrancea

PS:-Any of you guys have seen the latest Hulk trailer....That dude looks lean-n-mean this time.....:D

wreath
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah Bandu things to fix/improve is never end in a cg explosion :scream: that's what i learned. Actually it's a quick test to see how much time need to calculate bigger type explosions.

Glacierise i dunno why but it's Quicktime(jpeg2000 compress)

Subhrojyoti! yip black looks better, i think it's cause of transparency, black backround filling the look of transparent gaps of the fire voxels colors and you can achive same thing with using black on your gradients maybe.

entrancea
03-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Subhrojyoti! yip black looks better, i think it's cause of transparency, black backround filling the look of transparent gaps of the fire voxels colors and you can achive same thing with using black on your gradients maybe.

Thanks Dude....Then if you have an explosion during the day then how would you treat that shot in general?Just from a general point of view....:)

Cheers,
Entrancea

tiger-with-tail
03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
My latest fumefx test. Not sure what to do with it yet. And no it's not an explosion. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsiiO86S0b0

wreath
03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks Dude....Then if you have an explosion during the day then how would you treat that shot in general?Just from a general point of view....:)

Cheers,
Entrancea

Actually i'm trying to give up fume to make more time for Houdini but fume is a disease :scream:

One important thing i noticed; The best way to start making an explosion is having solid references,because many people have just general info about explosions and may say; your cg explosion look surreal you suck! and yeah sometimes real explosions looking so weird/unbelievable like half km. diameter vapour circles but if you have a reference show it to them too!
For the explosion i'm talking about(vap. ring) you can check this pic. out, I can't give the direct link my uber clever country banned utube sorry for that
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4249/eodyp8.jpg

Here some steps that i'm using

First step: Find a nice explosion shot and watch it many times till you can see it when your eyes closed. Setup your scene ground planes,scene objects,lights etc.(I used reference videos too but still can't reach utube so will show later)
* try search "segregator236" on youtube this guy have some nice eod stuff.

Second step: If its a firey explosion, start building main firey body first, if you happy with result than you'r ready for next step.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5610/mainbodyxa5.jpg

Third step: Adding extras like extra smoke, dust clusters, shockwaves and maybe some debris, i'm using pflow for that it works nicely.
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9458/psetupsdm2.jpg
pflow setup looks ok, you can start to simulate them with ffx. I used 3 different ffx solver for this test because all of them need different spacing,gradients,time scales etc.
More randomizing on particle setups, explosion timing, animating params provide a better explosion i think.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6213/finxb9.jpg
Quicktime(17mb) (http://www.filefactory.com/file/7f24a5/)

Finally it's just my workflow to make explosions i'm not saying this is the best way i hope it will help a little. :beer:

entrancea
03-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Some nice motions in there......And definitely not an explosion dude:D .......Looks like smoke filling up a room...right?

entrancea
03-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Actually i'm trying to give up fume to make more time for Houdini but fume is a disease :scream:

One important thing i noticed; The best way to start making an explosion is having solid references,because many people have just general info about explosions and may say; your cg explosion look surreal you suck! and yeah sometimes real explosions looking so weird/unbelievable like half km. diameter vapour circles but if you have a reference show it to them too!
For the explosion i'm talking about(vap. ring) you can check this pic. out, I can't give the direct link my uber clever country banned utube sorry for that
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4249/eodyp8.jpg

Here some steps that i'm using

First step: Find a nice explosion shot and watch it many times till you can see it when your eyes closed. Setup your scene ground planes,scene objects,lights etc.(I used reference videos too but still can't reach utube so will show later)
* try search "segregator236" on youtube this guy have some nice eod stuff.

Second step: If its a firey explosion, start building main firey body first, if you happy with result than you'r ready for next step.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5610/mainbodyxa5.jpg

Third step: Adding extras like extra smoke, dust clusters, shockwaves and maybe some debris, i'm using pflow for that it works nicely.
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9458/psetupsdm2.jpg
pflow setup looks ok, you can start to simulate them with ffx. I used 3 different ffx solver for this test because all of them need different spacing,gradients,time scales etc.
More randomizing on particle setups, explosion timing, animating params provide a better explosion i think.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6213/finxb9.jpg
Quicktime(17mb) (http://www.filefactory.com/file/7f24a5/)

Finally it's just my workflow to make explosions i'm not saying this is the best way i hope it will help a little. :beer:

Dude....That is way cool....Sorry to hear about the bannin stuff....my sympathies:D ......Ur right.....Thanks for the really helpful info......I'll look into this stuff....

Regards,
Entrancea

PS:-You just mentioned Houdini....could you please tell me as to how I can start learning Houdini....Have been waiting to learn it for a lonnnnggg time.....do you know any good tutorials which will help me.....Thanks dude...

Glacierise
03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Wreath great work dude, I finally saw your expl it's a killer! Btw, where do you live in Turkey? I'm from Bulgaria, and pop in Istanbul from time to time, we might meet if you're there. Lots of CG folks in Turkey, that's cool.

wreath
03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
PS:-You just mentioned Houdini....could you please tell me as to how I can start learning Houdini....Have been waiting to learn it for a lonnnnggg time.....do you know any good tutorials which will help me.....Thanks dude...

First visit sidefx (http://www.sidefx.com) and download free app. edition (non commercial) SESI(sidefx) provide lots of free entry level tutorial you can download from same site.
other awesome sources i know;
OD[force] (http://www.odforce.net)have great database for Houdini-wiki also cool guys on forums, you can see me there asking questions everyday :deal:
Digital Tutors (http://www.digitaltutors.com)go to the Houdini section, there are 2 dvd's i ordered first one but personally not recommend it i don't mean all the stuff=trash but instructors way to teach
is not houdinish i think.
CMIVFX (http://www.cmivfx.com)best commercial training for Houdini! Instructor have amazing skillz with Houdini and also have some free stuff.
and trust me the best source is Help directory on software's own.

Wreath great work dude, I finally saw your expl it's a killer! Btw, where do you live in Turkey? I'm from Bulgaria, and pop in Istanbul from time to time, we might meet if you're there. Lots of CG folks in Turkey, that's cool.

Hristo thanks i really want to meet, unfortunately i'm living in Ankara(capital) if you planning to come İstanbul before summer pm me i will try my best to come over there btw i guess you are a Soilworker too ha? :buttrock:

JohnnyRandom
03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Guys have you noticed something that your Fume stuff always looks good against a darker background than compared to a lighter one?Or is it just me?

Cheers,
Entrancea

There were other answers worthwhile noting. I would like to confirm it is fully a transperency issue, the default render settings for both smoke and fire opacity are pretty "thin", play with those opacity settings and the afc curve, take note that adjusting the sources smoke amounts can be helpful too. Lots seem to overlook it because the preview window looks so good with the black background (not sure why they removed the background color switch you used to be able to set the preview background color to match max's)

Stills needs a bunch of work but anyway since we're talking about transperency:
FumeFX Duststorm QT 2mb (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/FumeFX/duststorm.mov)

Smart workflow wreath, thanks for sharing:) great boom! BTW nice particle setup;)

Glacierise
03-14-2008, 05:37 PM
btw i guess you are a Soilworker too ha? :buttrock:

Of course I am :) I hope to see them live this year, but who knows. I damn hate this learn-or-work, bright feature being broke all the time dilemma :D

Daniel-B
03-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Someone should try their hand at making a nuclear explosion with Fume. Heh.

em3
03-14-2008, 08:00 PM
i think there are a bunch who have. Check youtube "fumefx nuclear bomb"

wreath
03-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Of course I am :) I hope to see them live this year, but who knows. I damn hate this learn-or-work, bright feature being broke all the time dilemma :D

Yeah, i'm hoping about 6 years last year they canceled the Turkey tour then 2 member left ..:shrug:
whatever let's talk ffx..

Someone should try their hand at making a nuclear explosion with Fume. Heh.

Daniel there are bunch of cg nuke attempts on youtube mostly with Afterburn, it can be done with ffx too but probably timing will be a problem; we need a very slowly rolling mushroom cloud, in ffx slow circulations generally look a little fakey(at least mines) maybe with a great pflow setup it can be done i will give it a try.

Smart workflow wreath, thanks for sharing:) great boom! BTW nice particle setup;)

Thanks a lot John

amckay
03-14-2008, 11:27 PM
entrancea - learning houdini. get apprentice edition, which is full featured. and get the gnomon dvd's (DOPS and intro to houdini). the interface has had a drastic overhaul from 8 to 9, so you might want to learn on 8 so everything makes sense. But thats a good source. Also I believe 3DBuzz has tuts on it too.

I might release some tutorials if people are interested

Houdini is a bit a bit of a bitch to pick up if you're used to something like 3dsmax, however its a very kick ass product. I think you need to be in a houdini work environment to really make the most of it. But it should definitely give you a good introduction!

-Allan McKay

PS. Wreath, I was reading down from the top so I didnt see you had posted a reply. Those are excellent references, cheers!

entrancea
03-15-2008, 01:38 AM
entrancea - learning houdini. get apprentice edition, which is full featured. and get the gnomon dvd's (DOPS and intro to houdini). the interface has had a drastic overhaul from 8 to 9, so you might want to learn on 8 so everything makes sense. But thats a good source. Also I believe 3DBuzz has tuts on it too.

I might release some tutorials if people are interested

Houdini is a bit a bit of a bitch to pick up if you're used to something like 3dsmax, however its a very kick ass product. I think you need to be in a houdini work environment to really make the most of it. But it should definitely give you a good introduction!

Heyya Mate,
good to hear from you....Well I hear you keep mentioning Houdini a lot and that films like Star Wars and Open season used Houdini a lot....I know other films also have but not sure about their names....And being an FX artist I think you need to know the tool of the trade cause you may not know when you might need them....Max and Maya particles I have used but was keen on getting into Houdini......If you could release Tutorials on Houdini then there would be nothig like it Mate.....I am sure a whole bunch-a-guys are out there waiting for something like this....Me included:D.....And I really dont care how hard it is.....If I get to know the workflow a bit then thats it....picking it up wont be too much of a hassel....Also it would be really great if you could do some tutorials on Box 1,2&3.....he he.....I know you have an extreeeemely tight schedule but it would really be very cool....reading help files dont do it too much...By the way,about the CGWorkshop you'd be holding,the topics you would be covering there......are they they same twister and explosion from your previously released DVD's or is there more to it.....Please let there be more to it.....then my proprietor will enroll me for that class,and I really wish to attend it....And also,would you be showing the Blade Vampire death effect with the whole scripting too?

Cheers,
Regards
Entrancea

entrancea
03-15-2008, 01:44 AM
First visit sidefx (http://www.sidefx.com) and download free app. edition (non commercial) SESI(sidefx) provide lots of free entry level tutorial you can download from same site.
other awesome sources i know;
OD[force] (http://www.odforce.net)have great database for Houdini-wiki also cool guys on forums, you can see me there asking questions everyday :deal:
Digital Tutors (http://www.digitaltutors.com)go to the Houdini section, there are 2 dvd's i ordered first one but personally not recommend it i don't mean all the stuff=trash but instructors way to teach
is not houdinish i think.
CMIVFX (http://www.cmivfx.com)best commercial training for Houdini! Instructor have amazing skillz with Houdini and also have some free stuff.
and trust me the best source is Help directory on software's own.

Dude,
Thanks for all the info...I downloaded the apperantice editiion and now on to getting the free tutorials first and then I'll get into the Gnomon or Digital Tutor stuff......But like I said in the above post...Would be cool to see Allan release Houdini Tutorial DVD's.....

Cheers,
Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
03-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Allrighty....Watched the youtube video and seems to me that high intensity explosion is a factor as well as a nice soft rim light on the clouds as well...And definitely....Lots and lots of smoke.....which I think could be AB whereas the explosions could be Fume.....

Glacierise
03-15-2008, 01:53 AM
A nuke, you say? No sooner said than done :D

Here's my attempt:

http://www.dailymotion.com/Glacierise/video/7921404

I have some artifacts, I know :D

wreath
03-15-2008, 02:25 AM
PS. Wreath, I was reading down from the top so I didnt see you had posted a reply. Those are excellent references, cheers!

:beer:

A nuke, you say? No sooner said than done :D

Here's my attempt:

http://www.dailymotion.com/Glacierise/video/7921167

I'll try to fix the artifacts :D

Nice motion mate! keep up improving this scene :thumbsup:

entrancea
03-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Help!!Cant see the video...Says page not found....

Glacierise
03-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Color corrected it a bit:

http://www.dailymotion.com/Glacierise/video/7923235

nitrocom
03-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi guys...

Long time, no post...

I've been awat from lots of things nowaday but im planning to back to town! :)
Anyway, Yiğit great job, I love the way you achive good results with FFX! Very good, keep it up! (BTW, I cant reach you via msn dude, check your messages!)

entrancea, I cant be quiet into Houdini actually however, there are lots of "must see" stuffs going around on their web site, firstly, go for them...
Unlike Allan's opinions, I dont like Gnomon's DVD set, 8 is way too far from 9, but yes, it might be good to learn basement before going higher! :)

Anyway guys I'm gonna go for MAYA, hahaha :) But will stick to FFX!

nitrocom
03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Color corrected it a bit:

http://www.dailymotion.com/Glacierise/video/7923235

More noise on the explosion and you'll be okay :)

Mr Moose
03-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Dude,
Thanks for all the info...I downloaded the apperantice editiion and now on to getting the free tutorials first and then I'll get into the Gnomon or Digital Tutor stuff......But like I said in the above post...Would be cool to see Allan release Houdini Tutorial DVD's.....

Cheers,
Regards,
EntranceaBe sure to check out the free Houdini class over at 3DBuzz. The videos there start you off at the very beginning of the application - http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_houdini.php

And cmiVFX have Houdini vids too - http://www.cmivfx.com/product_houdini_fundamentals.asp

:)

entrancea
03-16-2008, 01:38 AM
Whoa...Thank you so much for all the reply guys.....I have already started with the tutorials now....Thanks a lot guys.

Regards,
Entrancea

renochew
03-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi all, I am just starting to learn ffx, this is my first in this thread.

I would like to ask about the standard workflow of rendering element for compositing with ffx. What I've done is assigning a matt/shadow mat to objects that would be obscure by ffx, but it didn't render the depth correctly, and I can't find any info in the documentation.

Any advance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

JohnnyRandom
03-16-2008, 03:06 PM
FumeFX needs a shadow Render Element quite badly, as it does not have one, Quite a few pages back there was some discussion on shadows and passes.

EDIT: ah can't find it.

Do you have apply atmospheric shadows on in the material?

renochew
03-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi John, thanks for the reply. Actually I scanned through the post to search for clue after posting the question, I think it is on around page 30, Entrancea mentioned he solved the problem by increase the SHADOW BRIGHTNESS to 1.0, but when I did that, neither RGB channel nor the alpha channel show the shadow. Entrancea also post a scene but it is no longer here anymore, so it would be nice if Entrancea could repost the scene again.

Glacierise
03-16-2008, 04:17 PM
You can control the shadow depth with some fill lights...

ahmedsheeraz
03-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi, I don't know how to feather the "edges" of the fire as they seems quite solid. I want more randomness on the edges. any clue? plz see the image and utube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHE8mM9fFSo

Glacierise
03-16-2008, 08:31 PM
You need to play with the opacty AFC. Lower the points in the begining, esp the first one, to make the edges softer.

@Wreath: I saw your landmine explosion on youtube - dude you're an inspiration. it was damn perfect.

wreath
03-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Hristo thanks a lot mate :beer:

Glacierise
03-16-2008, 09:46 PM
My pleasure mate, you nailed it so well! like the colors, amazing, and the lighting is perfect. What did you use to light it - a spotlight for the sun and another for a fill, as usual?

wreath
03-16-2008, 10:34 PM
My pleasure mate, you nailed it so well! like the colors, amazing, and the lighting is perfect. What did you use to light it - a spotlight for the sun and another for a fill, as usual?

Scene have a really simple light setup to fake g.i. on the footage(photo still)
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6424/lightsetuplmineyp5.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lightsetuplmineyp5.jpg)

and a couple color correction steps on compositing.

nitrocom
03-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Verygood setup mate! I like the way you approach! :)

Glacierise
03-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Ahaaa, bring on the tips! I should have guessed about the ground reflected light, should use that! The rim light is very cool too, I think I've even overdone it in the past. Will experiment more with smoke lighting for sure, it's so important at making a believable shot.

entrancea
03-17-2008, 04:37 AM
Scene have a really simple light setup to fake g.i. on the footage(photo still)
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6424/lightsetuplmineyp5.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lightsetuplmineyp5.jpg)

and a couple color correction steps on compositing.

Hoo Hoo Hoo......Very nice.....Thanks a lot mate..

Regards,
Entrancea

SoLiTuDe
03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
hey guys, just wanted to share the awesome news: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=608623

JohnnyRandom
03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Well we know WHO is going to be busy as hell for the next year! Right on Ian:D

SoLiTuDe
03-17-2008, 09:34 PM
haha... realistically this year won't be too bad, we're really just starting. ...next year though you'll all have to start coming up with the urban legens of what happened to Ian. :)

Glacierise
03-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Ok now I know what the coolest thing ever in CG is :D

entrancea
03-18-2008, 02:04 AM
hey guys, just wanted to share the awesome news: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=608623

You lucky dog.....:D...seems like you'd be deep burried in and I quote....."erotic and violent storylines and images".....he he.....best wishes to you dude.....

Regards,
Entrancea

wreath
03-18-2008, 02:50 AM

This is great! :buttrock: good luck Ian & Andrew :thumbsup:

leecobra
03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Can anyone help me here? We all know that fume fx looks great on a blck background but I am having problems when compositing my fume fx onto background plates.

I am using After Effects to composite, I have tried saving the files out in tga, png etc, when I import the files into after effects it loses so much colour information, I have even tried ramping the opacity of the fire right upto 10 but still it loses colour. if I render out the scene with the background plate inside of max it looks fine but as soon as I export it out it looks awful.

I have been trying for days now but cannot find the answer to the problem. :banghead:

Has anyone got any experience with this issue and know a fix for it, I do not want to have to render the backplate in max with fume. Thanks in advance.

Glacierise
03-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Are you sure you're not having any gamma issues, for example?

leecobra
03-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Ok I just threw this together to show what I meant, the first image is how it should look for the test at least.

The second image is when rendered out using tga and then composited on to the background image in After effects.

I have tried rendering out simple scenes using an alpha channel for instance a box moving across the screen and it renders fine so only seems to be when using fume.

Gamma problems such as? sorry.

entrancea
03-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Has anyone got any experience with this issue and know a fix for it, I do not want to have to render the backplate in max with fume. Thanks in advance.

Had this problem before...And I was here banging my head like you for an answer and few months ago I got it.....And I dunno if you'd like it:D .......I installed windows 64bit on my machine and got Max 2008 and used Fume with it and when I rendered that my tga came out fine......

Also on another note before all this I used Fusion for my compositing and somehow I saw that Fusion was reading the tga's correctly compared to After Effect...I dunno why but believe me it worked.....

I guess that helps......

Regards,
Entrancea

Glacierise
03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
If the format is the problem - try EXR, should be good on all platforms.

leecobra
03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Had this problem before...And I was here banging my head like you for an answer and few months ago I got it.....And I dunno if you'd like it:D .......I installed windows 64bit on my machine and got Max 2008 and used Fume with it and when I rendered that my tga came out fine......

Also on another note before all this I used Fusion for my compositing and somehow I saw that Fusion was reading the tga's correctly compared to After Effect...I dunno why but believe me it worked.....

I guess that helps......

Regards,
Entrancea

I do not have fusion so.... thanks though.

I think it is more how it is being exported than after effects reading it maybe, if i open the tga files in photoshop it has weird problems in there too.

I have tried all file types Glacierise still same problem. Very strange.

Glacierise
03-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Check if you don't have gamma corrections enabled in the customize/preferences menu. Try rendering passes. Try rendeing ro JPG, open in PS to check if it's rendered ok. Check if you have some color-altering option in AE, check pre- or post- multiplying by alpha in max and AE.

Btw, it would be better if these problems are discussed in separate topics, and we keep the main FFX one for discussing working with FFX ;)

leecobra
03-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Well i tried all the options i could think of and all the ones you specified, rendered in passes blah blah blah, i have just reinstalled 3ds max and ermmmmm it works fine now. Really weird but anyway i am happy now, thanks for the help anyway. :)

JohnnyRandom
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Dirty AE trick, Copy the layer you want to comp in, convert to greyscale, use that as an Luma track matte for the original comp layer.

depleteD
03-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Some damn cool stuff here guys

Strob
03-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi!

I would like to know if anyone would have any idea about creating non moving shapes like cloud or fog bank with fume with the purpose of breaking those shapes with an object going through it. Let's say like a boat going through a fog bank or a plane going through a cloud.

I just did a first quick test by using a drag force, but it does not seem to have any effect. I can't stabilize the fume. I'll keep trying...

Glacierise
03-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Try animating the time scale. Make your cloud, then drop the time scale to .01 or something, and when the object collides, animate it back up.

Bandu
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi!

I would like to know if anyone would have any idea about creating non moving shapes like cloud or fog bank with fume with the purpose of breaking those shapes with an object going through it. Let's say like a boat going through a fog bank or a plane going through a cloud.

I just did a first quick test by using a drag force, but it does not seem to have any effect. I can't stabilize the fume. I'll keep trying...

1. symulate smoke to fill your cloud volume
3. use huge drag field to stop motion
2. use initial state for new simulation
4. render out and show it to us... :)

cheers,
Bandu

Glacierise
03-20-2008, 07:42 AM
A new bang:

http://www.dailymotion.com/Glacierise/video/8025235

entrancea
03-20-2008, 09:03 AM
A new bang:

Very Nice Dude....Cool looking smoke.......Though I guess the starting could be a lil faster maybe?

Regards,
Entrancea

Wicked
03-20-2008, 10:27 AM
A new bang:

Looks nice! Cool shockwave too!
Only critic is that the smoke disappears too fast (upwards). Maybe you could slow that down.

Lassjus
03-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Long time no post from me now. I must say, there has come out some really good stuff lately. I have been very busy at school, but had some time today to make some new stuff. Just another explosion. But I gotta say, I did not entirely understand the kind of lightening you were explaining Wreath. Is there only one light casting shadow. The rest is to fill out shadow areas and to add contour to the smoke?
Well, anyway, here's my latest one. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ZNsFYEJAQ
(Wish youtube had better quality. Loosing a lot of detail....)

wreath
03-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Lasse nice to see you again

But I gotta say, I did not entirely understand the kind of lightening you were explaining Wreath. Is there only one light casting shadow. The rest is to fill out shadow areas and to add contour to the smoke?

Nope, generally i'm using more than 1 light with casting shadows but density value can be change, the main light(sun) have the most dense shadows so we see dominant one.
i made a sample scene;
setup (http://www.yeatfx.com/ffx_s_stp.jpg)
renders (http://www.yeatfx.com/ffx_l_stp.jpg)

Lassjus
03-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Hm, ok, now I see the point. I have not payed that much attention to lightning when I render my scenes before. Maybe I should do that more often. Thanks for the explanation. :)

Aldarion
03-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Hey guys, I've been trying to animate a piece of wood catching on fire and slowly burning from one side to the other, much like Allan showed in his "animated fuel masks" tutorial.

While I have gotten the fire itself to look the way I need (slightly cartoony, but still realistic enough) the way it appears on the wood is quite disappointing. As the gradient moves over bits of fire just pop into view, as if fume only took black/white as the source and not shades of grey.
Any way of making it appear gradually and not in jumps ?
Also, the fire on teh bottom side of the wood seems to flicker several times.

(It's a lot less visible in this youtube video but I hope you'll see what I mean) Youtube vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_3Evj9Q1c

Glacierise
03-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Try having the fuel/temperature to add, instead of set. Also, you might try to use the same map animation you use in the fuel slot, for the temperature slot, but offset it a few frames back.

Aldarion
03-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks a lot Hristo. Altho it didn't completely remove the problem, it made it a bit better and with some post work I think I can make it completly fluent and not stuttering at all.
Thanks again.
Cheers, Mario

Glacierise
03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/Glacierise/video/8152655

Another bangy ;)

Strob
03-29-2008, 05:08 PM
1. symulate smoke to fill your cloud volume
3. use huge drag field to stop motion
2. use initial state for new simulation
4. render out and show it to us... :)

cheers,
Bandu

Hi, it seems that the drag field has no effect on fumeFX... Anyway, I tried animating the timescale and it looked strange because when my object collided with only a part of the cloud, all the cloud started moving around when the time scale increased. So I divided my cloud in 2 part (the part colling and the rest and it looks great). I'll try to show you an example of this soon. But I can't show you what I have now cause it is for a client and I don't have the right to show everything now, sorry for that.

By the way did you know that with fumeFX 1.1 you can drastically increase the speed of shadow calculation by choosing ABshadow map and checking OFF athmosphere shadow? It becomes 5 to 6 times faster like that. And the result looks the same as raytrace if you adjust the intensities of the light a bit. In fact this is the same as afterburn 4.0.

JohnnyRandom
03-29-2008, 07:26 PM
When working with forces, it helps to enable velocites, this way you can get some visual feedback on how the forces are affecting the grid. Add Velocity to the sim, and enable display>velocities in the mod panel. Adjust the velocites spinner up to slim down the detail and bring up the velocities scale to get longer strands in the viewport.

Also when playing with timescales, when lowering bring up you sim steps to gain more accuracy, I did some testing a while back, and the grid looses detail perpotionally in relation to time scale values when lowering. Try to adjust accordingly.

I haven't tried using drag, I know you can really gets some crazy actions in the grid using wind and vortex spacewarps.

THanks good to know about the ABShadow map:thumbsup:

ahmedsheeraz
03-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi all. I was just trying to create Ghost Rider type effect using fumefx and this is what I got so far. this is just a test n I am tryin to make it more accurate. any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYDBKdoDOc

I don't think AB Shadow map was supported until the release of fume 1.1 and AB 4 as both now are using fusionworks renderer.

Glacierise
03-29-2008, 11:27 PM
You can use the velocity damping parameter instead of drag ;)

Cort3z
03-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi all. I was just trying to create Ghost Rider type effect using fumefx and this is what I got so far. this is just a test n I am tryin to make it more accurate. any suggestions?

Are you using particles to create the trail? If so, (and any how) you should make the trail fade out. And i think it would have been a bit cooler if you made the flames a bit smaller, if you know, the induvidual flames seem to be quite huge. You could also add a bit of wind or something.

Those are all suggestions, but don't take it the wrong way, it looks awsome!:D Keep it up!

Coolone3000
03-31-2008, 02:52 AM
I've just recently started out in both thinkingparticles and fume, which is quite the undertaking i might say. A few things, i have a box being "blown up" or fragmented into pieces and i want each fragment to be on fire. I used the FFX particles source to make each fragment particle emit fire but it only emits from the center of each fragment. I want the whole fragment chunck to be emiting flames as if it were actually on fire. Its a bit hard to explain but here is a test render to examine. I would also like there to be more to each flame, instead of them all looking kind of like candle flames, i want them to look more like fire, just not sure what settings to change. Thanks in advance for the help.

http://www.chriscarranza.com/downloads/explode%20test%20tp%20with%20fume.mov

http://www.chriscarranza.com/downloads/Fume-Screen.jpg

Hordak
03-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Hey guys... Was just wondering if anyone had some graidients that worked well for them that they want to share?

ahmedsheeraz
03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Are you using particles to create the trail? If so, (and any how) you should make the trail fade out. And i think it would have been a bit cooler if you made the flames a bit smaller, if you know, the induvidual flames seem to be quite huge. You could also add a bit of wind or something.

Those are all suggestions, but don't take it the wrong way, it looks awsome!:D Keep it up!

thanx for the suggestions. Actually in the movie, flames don't fade out that's why I didn't do it but I like your idea of making small flames so instead of making em small, I will put size variation in em. thanx agian.

@coolone3000: try adding some turbulance to fume flames to get rid of candle flame look.

fireknght2
03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
I have followed several directions to apply fumeFX fire to a character. I cannot seem to apply to the character as FumeFX keeps selecting different parts of the character. I need the fire to apply to the entire body including hair and of course animate. I am recreating a not so well known female super hero.

Can anyone help I've seen great things here that shows me what I want I just cant apply the technique for whatever reason.

Fire:shrug:

Cort3z
04-01-2008, 10:20 PM
You need to create a "Object source" in the helpers menu under FumeFX. And then add your object to that operator, then add the operator to FumeFX. Should not be that hard.

fireknght2
04-02-2008, 01:26 AM
I have done all this I even made sure the character is one object and followed all the steps you mentioned and still no Fire:(

Strob
04-02-2008, 03:01 AM
Does anyone know how to start a FFX simulation on the network but starting from a loaded initial state?

Cort3z
04-02-2008, 06:03 AM
I have done all this I even made sure the character is one object and followed all the steps you mentioned and still no Fire:(

Have you acctually run the simulation and made sure that the "what's-it-called"-size under the general tab of FumeFX is not too high? You might also need to turn up the temperature under the object/source tab in fume. Make sure to select your object in Fume as well under this same tab.

leecobra
04-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Here is an Explosion i put together after a couple of days messing around with Fume FX.

I wanted to up the detail a bit more but it was taking ages to sim, so until get a new quad core this will have to do. Anyway hope you like it

Cryptite
04-02-2008, 05:09 PM
That's really cool lee. Funny how the right comp and sound can sorta take the edge of what would otherwise be scrutiny on an explosion as to how it doesn't look realistic. Still looks great though. However, short of that being an overly smokey bomb, and if that's sand, I'd venture to say add more sandiness being thrown around (course that's not fume involved) and slightly more transparent smoke. Good work!

Glacierise
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I like it a lot! Too fast though.

JohnnyRandom
04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Here is an Explosion i put together after a couple of days messing around with Fume FX.

I wanted to up the detail a bit more but it was taking ages to sim, so until get a new quad core this will have to do. Anyway hope you like it

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l.bunton/Index.htm

Nice lee, I thought it had nice timing, for the size it was representing. Good dust, especially for the amount of wind that is percieved. My only crit would be the color of the smoke/dust seems a little dark for the surrounding terrian (and that may be an opacity issue or and ambient light is needed) I think overall a great shot.:thumbsup: