View Full Version : FumeFX

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

amckay
12-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Ronnie Ree!
hows it going mate

SoLiTuDe
12-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Ronnie Ree: Object Src's emit Fuel, Smoke, AND Temperature.... even if there is no fire you can still have something emit smoke. You will have to animate temperature and smoke as well as just fuel to have it stop emitting all together. The "fuel creates smoke" will actually create smoke when the fuel burns off... so if you told your object src to disable smoke, and told it to just emit fuel and temperature, you would only see smoke where the fire is burning off... not necessarily from the object itself. Hope that makes sense! :)

PS: Hey Allan, when you gonna stop by so we go grab a beer? (assuming i'm not busy as F :D)

Darknon
12-21-2007, 07:52 AM
amckay (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=1435): Yo Allan, thanks for asking :) Well, I'm very fine, couldn't be better actually. Working a cool job as lead animator at www.zeropointsoft.com (http://www.zeropointsoft.com/) , I have a fantastic girl'n stuff.. I'm still working on my d-day short, but it's a pain sometimes because max is so damn unstable. It just makes it hard to wanna start it up sometimes... Anyways. to do a little something else between the d-day work, I've started this gladiator-street-figther-game-concept, which is very secret :-) So far I have at fire-warrior, and a lightning-warrior fighting each other ( I will make a thread about it later).

I wan't the fire-warriors sword burst out in flames in his special moves, so I need to be able to animate it on and off. I have done it, but it is far from the optimal way to do it.

Here's an example: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=24400180 It's the fire that is important here :)

SoLiTuDe: I can see what you're saying. But, I can't animate the "smoke amount" parameter for some reason, so that's a no go.. And if I turn smoke OFF, and "fuel creates smoke" ON, then where will be no smoke at all.. Even though I have fuel and temperature on...

PsychoSilence
12-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Happy Birthday Fume FX. One year old, today.

Oh happy day!

http://usera.imagecave.com/deadwooddoom/Pinup/BirthdayCake.jpg

Sorry if thatīs offending to someone.
Kind regards,
anselm

PsychoSilence
12-21-2007, 08:11 AM
PS: Hey Allan, when you gonna stop by so we go grab a beer? (assuming i'm not busy as F :D)

any rough timeframe available already? i plan to be around for march ;) (gonna contact u and sam in the new year)

entrancea
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Whoa....Nice Cake....Here's where I say.....I Have Gotta Get Me One Of These:bounce: .....

Cheers for the coming Christmas and New Year Guys.....

Entrancea

SoLiTuDe
12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
SoLiTuDe: I can see what you're saying. But, I can't animate the "smoke amount" parameter for some reason, so that's a no go.. And if I turn smoke OFF, and "fuel creates smoke" ON, then where will be no smoke at all.. Even though I have fuel and temperature on...

Hrmmm.... If you have fire already, you should get smoke if you crank up the fuel creates smoke parameter a little bit more (even with smoke "disabled" in your src) As for why you can't animate the smoke amount in your src, that makes absolutely no freakin' sense. :) Can you upload an example file? I'd be more than happy to take a look... or give me your email so I can send you a simple example... ?

SoLiTuDe
12-21-2007, 06:22 PM
any rough timeframe available already? i plan to be around for march ;) (gonna contact u and sam in the new year)

Look forward to hangin out! Get on ICQ, damnit! --use meebo.com ! :D

JohnnyRandom
12-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Nice candles! Gotta wireframe? What settings did you use:D

PsychoSilence
12-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Look forward to hangin out! Get on ICQ, damnit! --use meebo.com ! :D

i have internet on my laptop at work now but not in the hotel...so im online my day time mostly :( im at home during christmas and new years eve til the 6th of january. lets talk during the holiday ;)

:beer::beer::beer:

ansi

SoLiTuDe
12-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Sorry dude -- I'll be in NY all next week :D Not gonna be on the computer much while I'm there. Actually -- I gotta leave in about 10 minutes. Talk to ya when I get back!

Caalro
12-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Hey guys,
This thread is pretty insperational. I have not gotten all the way through (working backwards) and its full of wonderful FX.

A friend of mine is working with FumeFX and I was lucky enough to try it out - great stuff!
I'm going to try and get my company to sign off on getting a license!

I'm wondering though, a lot of the FFX stuff I see is very directional. ie: always lifting or moving in a given direction.
Is there enough control to have it 'sit' where the effect happens? Fire -> Smoke -> disipation - all in the same sphere shape? This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxXp5l0q6GM) is the closest I have seen, but then the lift takes it up. Any directions would be great as well, I get to play with it again in a few days!
I ask because, working in games, my animated sprites are pretty self contained. I'm thinking I need to get an explosion to go through the expansion -> burn -> disipation all in the same square render frame. It cant have too much motion and should take up the whole frame in order to be usable. I can accomplish motion with the in-game particle system.

Everything I was able to accomplish, in the time I had, had no 'end' in the system life... it just burns forever. (edit: I watched the car explosion tutorial and that showed the keyframing)

I apologise if some of these questions are basic... but I didn't have more then a few hours to play with it.

LassJus - Your stuff blows me away! Keep it up!

Thanks!

PsychoSilence
12-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Sorry dude -- I'll be in NY all next week :D Not gonna be on the computer much while I'm there. Actually -- I gotta leave in about 10 minutes. Talk to ya when I get back!

WOW! Merry Christmas and a happy new year then! Gonna text you!

ansi

Bercon
12-24-2007, 08:40 AM
The reason why max forces seem to affect particle flow differently might be that pflows Force operators DEFAULT influence is 1000% and not 100%. So pflow is affected by ten times the normal force.

entrancea
12-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Hey Guys....First off...Wishing Everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

Now I have a very simple(**cough**dumb**cough**)question:) ....when I render my Fume in Targa Sequence and when I open them in After Effect...I select premultiply in alpha...but somehow my Fume look and feel changes and it looks bland....but when I say Ignore and dont import the alpha in...it looks fine....any guesses why?

Reagards,
Entrancea

grury
12-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey Guys....First off...Wishing Everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

Now I have a very simple(**cough**dumb**cough**)question:) ....when I render my Fume in Targa Sequence and when I open them in After Effect...I select premultiply in alpha...but somehow my Fume look and feel changes and it looks bland....but when I say Ignore and dont import the alpha in...it looks fine....any guesses why?

Reagards,
Entrancea'

Try increasing the smoke opacity, or just duplicate your smoke layer in after effects.

JohnnyRandom
12-27-2007, 04:29 PM
The reason why max forces seem to affect particle flow differently might be that pflows Force operators DEFAULT influence is 1000% and not 100%. So pflow is affected by ten times the normal force.

Thanks, that's not it...

Build a scene with a pflow (with the force op at 100%) and a simple source fume, both emitter same size/location, one wind, both use the same wind, run the sim, the pflow particles travel faster then the fluid.

It's just the way it is.

Rif enlightned me to the use of a low-res velocities channel in the viewports. It's the obvisously the best judgement for spacewarp behaviour (looks alot like forceviewer).

We were just hoping for a judgement based approach, by that, you already know how spacewarp settings behave with pflow, was just hoping to get same/similar results with Fume.

Cryptite
12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm wondering though, a lot of the FFX stuff I see is very directional. ie: always lifting or moving in a given direction.
Is there enough control to have it 'sit' where the effect happens? Fire -> Smoke -> disipation - all in the same sphere shape? This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxXp5l0q6GM) is the closest I have seen, but then the lift takes it up. Any directions would be great as well, I get to play with it again in a few days!
I ask because, working in games, my animated sprites are pretty self contained. I'm thinking I need to get an explosion to go through the expansion -> burn -> disipation all in the same square render frame. It cant have too much motion and should take up the whole frame in order to be usable. I can accomplish motion with the in-game particle system.

Everything I was able to accomplish, in the time I had, had no 'end' in the system life... it just burns forever. (edit: I watched the car explosion tutorial and that showed the keyframing)

On default settings, Fume pretends you're working in a normal environment on Earth, and as such, smoke and fire due rise due to heat. But the key fume setting that controls that is the Buoyancy paramater. Drop that to below about .05 and you'll have a seemingly 'gravity-less' simulation. That's what I use to create Zero-G Explosions for a space battle i'm working on. The key then is to make it look right cause it'll probably look a little funky.

The key setting to get your explosion/fire 'ending' is the Fuel setting in the FFX source you're using. So long as there's fuel to burn, it will burn. Animate that to 0 and the burn rate will take care of any remaining fuel. Your smoke will also eventually need to dissapate if you want it to so that you go from nothing and end with nothing and have a nice explosion or fire in the middle.

Good luck.

entrancea
12-28-2007, 01:32 AM
'

Try increasing the smoke opacity, or just duplicate your smoke layer in after effects.

No dude...I tried that but its crapping out....Is there any other sequence which I could render!!.......In which format do you guys usually render?

Regards,
Entrancea

iceman32
12-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Any news about Allan McKays FumeFX DVD yet??

/Stefan

Glacierise
12-28-2007, 02:51 PM
I guess the good old 'squid ain't so turbo these days :D

PsychoSilence
12-28-2007, 04:40 PM
not anyones fault at TS neither allanīs.
the dvd is finished and will contain lots of max files for max 8&9 as far as i know of.
allan is working on dvd 2 already. its going to be a hattrick.

Glacierise
12-28-2007, 05:53 PM
not anyones fault at TS neither allanīs.

Just kiddin', mate! Not for a moment do I doubt that 'hattrick' will be great! :thumbsup:

JohnnyRandom
12-28-2007, 06:14 PM
No dude...I tried that but its crapping out....Is there any other sequence which I could render!!.......In which format do you guys usually render?

Regards,
Entrancea

Are you sure it doesn't have to do with the render engine you are using?

As for sequences, tga, rla, openexr, sometimes png.

Caalro
12-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Good luck.

Thanks so much, I was able to get some good results - I will put all the TGA's together and post them sometime soon.

-Caalro

entrancea
12-30-2007, 04:34 AM
Are you sure it doesn't have to do with the render engine you are using?

As for sequences, tga, rla, openexr, sometimes png.

Hey dude,

Well am using default scanline for my renders but so far with everything else the tga works fine but when it comes to fume something goes haywire....Aargghh:banghead: ...

I am attaching a pic for you to see what I am getting in After Effect...

Thanks and Reagards and wishing you all a very Happy and prosperous New Year,
Entrancea

entrancea
12-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Hey Guys,
There is something I have been wanting to do but dont know how to?Not sure if I have come across this topic either.I was wondering that in reallife when fire burns,then the objects behind the fire are seen to be waving in air.....cant remember the term exactly but I think its called Haze or something.....Like when fire burns the background appears wavy and fluid like.....I hope you can understand what I mean to say.....So anyone knows how to create that in 3D?

Regards,
Entrancea

Glacierise
12-30-2007, 09:10 AM
You'll find a lot, if you search with 'heat shimmer', 'heat distortion' or whatever. It's a very easy effect. You make a smokey PFlow, render grayscale, bring into comp, and use as a displacement map. I think all compositing packages have a displacement tool, though their names may vary. If you are using FFX - you can just blur and add noise to your fire in comp, then use that as a displacement for the background. If you need more detail - you can use the pflow fumefx follow operator.

entrancea
12-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Allright.....Cool....Thanks a lot dude.....

Reagrds,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
12-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Hey dude,

Well am using default scanline for my renders but so far with everything else the tga works fine but when it comes to fume something goes haywire....Aargghh:banghead: ...

Really wierd looking. hard to tell with the black background on the image you posted. Is there a background object in max, that the alpha sees, but isn't visible to the camera? Seems like your alpha is somehow corrupt.

What are your tga settings? Best results I get with nothing ticked (or split alpha only) + 32-bit. Premultiplied alphas are a little wierd when imported,you'll have a halo of your backgroung color from max, then you have to set AE to Pre-mult and match your max background on import, dunno extra steps to do.

entrancea
12-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Really wierd looking. hard to tell with the black background on the image you posted. Is there a background object in max, that the alpha sees, but isn't visible to the camera? Seems like your alpha is somehow corrupt.

What are your tga settings? Best results I get with nothing ticked (or split alpha only) + 32-bit. Premultiplied alphas are a little wierd when imported,you'll have a halo of your backgroung color from max, then you have to set AE to Pre-mult and match your max background on import, dunno extra steps to do.

No dude,
The background is completely empty.In general my tga settings are 32bit,store alpha....but this is really weird.....it destroys the look and feel of the fume in compositing dude....what would you suggest me to do?

Regards,
Entrancea

nitrocom
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi guys!

I think this question has to be for Allan, but can be general, well, you probably heard the new workshop of Allan. At this point, what i'm wondering is this workshop is going to be different than "hattrick" dvd set or generally same? I saw the topics but I cant be sure about this, I want to learn some advanced tricky stuffs but not sure?

Any opinion?

joconnell
01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
No dude,
The background is completely empty.In general my tga settings are 32bit,store alpha....but this is really weird.....it destroys the look and feel of the fume in compositing dude....what would you suggest me to do?

Regards,
Entrancea

Well, I suppose it also depends what you're compositing over. If you're constantly looking at fume rendered over a black background it looks like it's got lots of detail and stands out really clearly. If you put this over a brighter background or into a live action plate you've got two issues. One is that the background might be brighter so your fume effect doesnt look as intense as you had previously and the second is that your alpha channel might be knocking out a lot of the strength of the fume effect. If you have a look at your fume render on black and have a look at its alpha channel you might see a lot of black and transparent grey areas - what this is doing is cutting out holes and transparent areas in the fire and letting you see some black background behind it - the thing is though that the black actually looks good - it makes it look like you've got lots of grit and oil in the fire. When you put the same fire over a light background though the alpha matte cuts out the same holes but reveals much brighter areas behind it so it looks really flat - it's lost the contrast and power it had on black.

One thing I'd look at is the size of fire effect you're trying to simulate and then how that actually looks in real life - you might be trying to get a really big powerful fire look but with a tiny fume source - the fire might look okay against black but be far too thin to have any strength against a different background. As someone suggested have a play with the opacity settings or more likely use a bigger fume source in the first place - you can use the same amount of cells in your grid but if you make a biger fume grid and bigger emitter it'll be fuller fire and might be what you're after.

JohnnyRandom
01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
No dude,

Regards,
Entrancea

Check yer mail:) a fix for your alpha issue.

But yep, John got greats points. BLACK is beautiful:D

Cryptite
01-04-2008, 01:32 AM
I have an issue that needs to be worked out for some final shots that need pumped out fairly soon, so I reach out to you folks. Has anyone solved the problem working with Particle Flow and Fume wherein using PFlow to power fume, it seems one cannot specify which operator group to sim without Fume wanting to take into account any particle within the whole system.

Odd wording above but here's an example of what I mean. I have a space battle in which PFlow powers some turrets from ships shooting at each other, standard collision operator to power a laser hitting a deflector object (ship hull) making an explosion puff of particles. I'm trying to keep fume simming on the explosion group of particles but it always wants to calculate the laser particle as soon as it enters the sim area. If anybody knows how to work around this problem or knows a potential fix I would be highly in your debt. Thanks guys!

SoLiTuDe
01-04-2008, 01:40 AM
^ If you have afterburn use the aburn-pflow operator to separate events for fume... and then select the aburn pflow object for you particle src

entrancea
01-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.....I think my Fume Problem maybe solved....I turned the opacity up of the fire and Bam!Targa sequences works fine.....Thanks to ur help and specially to Johnny......:thumbsup:

Reagrds,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
01-04-2008, 03:08 PM
No problem, Entrencea:)

Little explosion (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/FFX_Expl_02.mov) been playing with.

entrancea
01-05-2008, 05:29 AM
Little explosion (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/FFX_Expl_02.mov) been playing with.

:DSweeeeet.......Did you add a PFlow to make the shockwave?

Regards,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
01-05-2008, 05:34 PM

It has two grids one for the explosion and one for the shockwave, which is controlled with a particle source and pflow.

jimmy4d
01-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Wow guys thanks for all the help with ffx. I have had my head banging agaist my keyboard for 3 weeks looking at every post on this thread everyday and I mite have started to figure out what I want. Here are some latest works.

car explotion .6mb Qtime...... http://3dglove.com/3dglove/07/transfer/fume1.mov

you tube............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2fGeMtxZ4

Schnitz
01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Nice work Jimmy4d. You could try animating your timescale and boyancy to slow down your smoke after the initial explosion as the temperture drops. Also a burning tyre bouncing away would be the icing on the cliche cake :)

While I'm at it, hello to everyone here. Great job on this thread, theres a severe lack of FumeFX material online as you all know so its great to have this resource. I'll be hanging around here a lot I think.

nitrocom
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
welcome to board dude,

btw, i was quite busy nowadays, there has been great fumefx stuffs going around here, keep it up guys!

JohnnyRandom
01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Nice Jimmy4d, initial explosion looks great, after that scale wise it begins to look like the classic Godzilla destroying town shot. Nice still image;)

Definitely dropping the bouyancy/timescale (be careful with the timescale, some wacky stuff can happen with it, big loss of detail can occur so you have to compenstate for it, the timescale is proportional, ie .5 is about equal to 60 FPS, 120 FPS = .25, 240FPS = .125, ect.) would really make it scale up better, while your playing with those keyframes add one for the advection stride too, get them smoke and flames crankin':)

jimmy4d
01-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys, Yeah thats what I need to do is slow down the smoke. Schnitz thanks for the tip man I'am going to work on that. I have learn so much from you dudes thanks again.

johnny R Your stuff just plan rocks dude. Thanks for your help that is one nice peice of info you let me have. :)

JohnnyRandom
01-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks dude:)

SoLiTuDe
01-08-2008, 04:06 AM
Wrote a quick (very simple) script to share with you guys:
It will randomize the playback "start frame" of your selection based on the spinners, for when you have more than one fume grid in your scene all using the same cache.... so they're not all playing in sync. :)

/*!
\file FumeStartRandomizer.ms

\remarks Select fume grids, then set high and low values for start frames

\author Brandon Riza / Ian Farnsworth
\author Email: farnsworth@blur.com
\author Company: Blur Studio
\date 01/07/08
*/

rollout fumestartrollout "FumeStartRandomizer" width:198 height:104
(
spinner lowspn "Low Value" pos:[30,8] width:107 height:16 range:[0,100000,0] type:#integer
spinner highspin "High Value" pos:[32,32] width:107 height:16 range:[0,100000,0] type:#integer
button btn1 "DO IT!" pos:[24,56] width:112 height:41

on btn1 pressed do
(
sel = selection as array
for i = 1 to sel.count do
(
sel[i].offset = (random lowspn.value highspin.value)
)
)
)
createDialog fumestartrollout

grury
01-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Damn sweet Ian, very useful.

Cheers

PsychoSilence
01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
ian u rock big time...now share allans history script :D

EDIT: allans site is back on track...just dont get it :D

jimmy4d
01-08-2008, 01:30 PM
That is a sweet script you shared......kick butt dude :)

Schnitz
01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Nice script SoLiTuDe. I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Here's a little explosion I've been working on. The burst of flames near the end was a mistake I made when continuing the simulation but mostly what I'm looking to achieve is that huge rolling explosion effect. Feedback would be great.
http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s193/schnitzil/?action=view&current=cusioncloudexplosion.flv

JohnnyRandom
01-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Nice, thanks Ian:)

Sorry but what the f---s the History Script?

SoLiTuDe
01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys I'm glad you found it useful!

http://allanmckay.com/scripts/CFX_FFX-QuickDataOutput_v01.ms <-- allan wrote a script that will output all of your grid data into a text file... so you can store your settings / compare stuff a lot easier. I'm going to (try to anyway) start cataloging my R&D, and this will help a lot. I think it may be possible to write a script that does the opposite, (loads from the txt file) rather than using the fume presets.... this way they're readable on the outside, but you could still load them back into fume (allan, you feel like doing this?). :D
I believe Rif put this in as a request to Kresimir -- (make them txt based) so hopefully he adds it to the next release :)

JohnnyRandom
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I see, thanks, should have read the instructions.doc:blush:, makes good sense, cryptically encoded preset files certainly are restrictive, text-based makes way more sense.

so hopefully he adds it to the next release :)
Guess will find out the end of the month, hell you guys probably already know...:D:love:

Schnitz, sorry missed your link, nice volume, great smoke action, the dust may be a little too thick, or maybe not just feel heavy enough, thats just me though. Got the dreaded flicker:D

Glacierise
01-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Guess will find out the end of the month, hell you guys probably already know...:D:love:

New FFX coming out?! What does it do?!

SoLiTuDe
01-08-2008, 07:51 PM
New FFX coming out?! What does it do?!

:deal: <-- NDA's man! NDA's! :D

Glacierise
01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh no, mr Farnsworth. Good news, everyone, you're all fired for incompetence :D No NDA over rumors, ain't it so :)

Schnitz
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Schnitz, sorry missed your link, nice volume, great smoke action, the dust may be a little too thick, or maybe not just feel heavy enough, thats just me though. Got the dreaded flicker:D
Thanks for the feedback.
Should have an update to it soon. Just waiting for a new shockwave to sim cause I wasn't really feeling the last one either. Made a few changes to the fireball too.
I figured that flicker was just something wrong with my render settings. Is this a very common occurence because I rarely notice it?

entrancea
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey guys....Great new...Brandon's site is back on......

http://brandonriza.com/3DVisualEffects/HTML/3DVisualEffects.htm

:)Thanks to Ian for notifying him and Brandon of course......

Regards,
Entrancea

PS:-Ian if you could give this message to Brandon for me then just tell him that I absolutely loved those photographs he has taken.....too good....Eye Candy stuff....

SoLiTuDe
01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Entrancea: No prob dude! I had actually noticed his site was down about an hour before you posted that. I guess the hosting company was 'tarded and screwed something up, but they got it all worked out now. Yeah his photos are awesome! I'll let him know you want to make love to them. :D

PsychoSilence
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I'll let him know you want to make love to them. :D

i come first :D

Digital Masta
01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
If only I wasn't broke and didn't own a failure of a computer would I enroll in Allan's FumeFX CG Workshop. :cry:

*Continues to wait for that FumeFX DVD

JohnnyRandom
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey guys....Great new...Brandon's site is back on......

:)Thanks to Ian for notifying him and Brandon of course......

Regards,
Entrancea

Particlebombn' goodness!

I agreee great stills too, some early mornings in there:thumbsup:

entrancea
01-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Ian: :twisted:....You bad a**.......maybe I have been layin low for some time....but that doesn't make me that desperate dude!:D....But hey...look on the plus side....You still got Psycho around haven't you?

Psycho: Dude...Best of luck with those still:buttrock:....Convey my feelins to them....

Johnny: "Aaaaahhh!The sun shining down on my face....the waves splashing on the rocks.....the cool sea breeze flowin around......the sweet seagulls flying high in the sky........Wait!!Whats that???..........poop!!.......and bombing tards on my face".....I mean come on guys nature is nice...but you gotta count in the mishaps that could happen....:D

By the way...I just got my new machine....Intel Core2Quad...4 CPU's with 2.4 Ghz each.....4GB of Ram and an Nvidia Quadro.....:applause:......

But the sad part is that XP 32bit is recognising only 3gb of Ram:sad:.....Do you guys know a way to increase this to 4gb?

Cheers,
Entrancea

SoLiTuDe
01-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Go with XP64! :) There's a lot of info about 32bit windows with 4 gb of ram... it can a pain in the ass to say the least -- look up /3gb switch and you'll find a lot of info! Good luck man!

jigu
01-10-2008, 04:28 AM
Wow Subhroji!...i want machine like that. Yeah go for XP64 bit for more ram, Max runs absoultly fine on it.

entrancea
01-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Yeah I guess I'll have to go for a dual boot system with both XP 32 as well as the 64bit versions......so then I'll be doin all the simming of Fume or Realflow on the 64bit and the rest of the stuff on 32 bit......Aaaaggghhh...that means I'll have to reinstall all the softwares and plugins again.....Thats such a drag :D ....

Regards,
Entrancea

PsychoSilence
01-10-2008, 09:11 AM
i want fume to be able to sim from negative timeline values :( like -150 > 350...

grury
01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
i want fume to be able to sim from negative timeline values :( like -150 > 350...

...but doesnt it? I do it all the time.

PsychoSilence
01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
me too! but for some reason i see the preview and the viewport voxels from frame 0 on the first time :(

entrancea
01-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Did you set your start Fume frame to your negative value?Like if your fume starts from -100 then specifying the Fume start frame to -100?

Regards,
Entrancea

PsychoSilence
01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
yeah, of cause everything starts at the negative value: sim range, playback range, max timeline...

nitrocom
01-12-2008, 12:51 PM
FFX can start with negative values but sometimes, something go crazy with it, I dont know why and how to fix? Any opinion??? I cant see anything on render!

BTW, just entrancea, let you know, Sometimes, I can get some strange errors or problems on my X64, why I'm saying this is we both have same configs. :)

PS: Strange error = FFX doesn't work, AB givin me crazy .dll errors etc. It happens often!

PsychoSilence
01-13-2008, 03:40 PM
would it be possible to write a sctipt that starts the render process when the sim is through? that would be great to have! often my sims are finished at late nite time when no one is at the office to start the render job so it has to wait patiently til the next morning...wasted hours...

scripters of the world listen to me! :deal::rolleyes:

JohnnyRandom
01-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Argh something screwy going on, will repost when I figure it out...

grury
01-13-2008, 06:02 PM
What's four lines of code worth to ya?:D

-- after the last step has ended, the simulation results are still in memory.
fn PostSim =
(
max quick render
)

In the fume dialog general tab enable maxscript, and edit the script with only the above lines of code (you should backup the original script template someplace else, becuase you will overwrite it when you save.)

Setup your render dialog as you normally would, then run your sim, at the end of the sim it will execute the above script and start a render.:)

Not sure how to kill it but for some reason even when you start with a fresh slate you get the file overwrite warning dialog. So maybe render a couple quick frames first to disable the warning dialog, have to look into it a little further.

Ahhhhh! Priceless! Cheers Johnny

JohnnyRandom
01-13-2008, 06:09 PM
For some reason its bugging out now and rendering the same frame??? argh getting pissed!

EDIT:
After much silly head banging :banghead:came up with a scripted solution.

It is somewhat fault proof, so test it on a short sim to see and understand how it works.

It needs a macro (to fool proof it a little) so you'll have to add a button, shortcut, or menu item to start it. It resides in the Fume&Flow in the Customize Dialog.

@Ian: Hah figures, just finished this thing...

EDIT: There is an updated script below:)

SoLiTuDe
01-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey guys, allan also has two scripts set up for doing this. It's not exactly the same as what you're looking for but it will open a file, sim it, then render it.

OR you can set up a local backburner setup, and submit it to backburner, which will also render upon completion of a sim.

entrancea
01-14-2008, 11:15 AM
nitrocom:Thanks or the info....decided to stick with 32bit

Any news on Allan's DVDs?Aarrgghh......Can't wait no more......:D

pixel9
01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
If I'm not totally mistaken, it should be purchaseable within January/February - 1st Quarter - of 2008 at Turbosquid.

Hordak
01-14-2008, 01:40 PM
ok guys... how about some links to reference videos for some AfterBurn or Fume Explosions?

Here's one: (40th sec) http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...earch&plindex=9 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5807759413221776314&q=explosion&total=95927&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9)

grury
01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
ok guys... how about some links to reference videos for some AfterBurn or Fume Explosions?

Here's one: (40th sec) http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...earch&plindex=9 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5807759413221776314&q=explosion&total=95927&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9)

Jez dude, thats insane. Thanks for the link.

Schnitz
01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Here's a little FFX sim of a door breaching charge I've been working on.
I'd like to hear what people think especially about the presentation. Enjoy.

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s193/schnitzil/?action=view&current=BreachRenderFrames2BB.flv

nitrocom
01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Well Well Well,

Thats a good one, however, I can see the junks of the door :) Maybe you may want to play with lighting setup or fracture style...

Very good one, keep it coming...

Schnitz
01-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I meant to set up a visibility track to swap the clean door for the fractured one but I forgot. Oops. I'll have that sorted out in my next render(which might take a while as this one took about 10 hours). Glad you like it. Thanks for the response.

Hordak
01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Jez dude, thats insane. Thanks for the link.

No problem mate.:)

Let's get some more guys...

JohnnyRandom
01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Ok did a little update to the "Simulate and Render" script

This script is used to fire of a render upon the completion
of a FumeFX simulation.

Tried to Johnny-proof it a little

Script checks some of your render settings (Save File, Single, Active Time Segment, or Render Range)
Script checks to see if you are overwriting a Current Simulation.
Script checks to see it you are overwriting current images in target folder.
Simulation Range, Sim Path, Render Time Output, Render Range, and Render Output Path are now provided before script executes the sim and render command.

Right now the spinners are for visual feedback to see what you end frames are set too.

http://www.4rand.com/scripts/SimnRend_Dialog.png (http://www.4rand.com/scripts/SimnRend_big.png)http://www.4rand.com/scripts/SimnRend_Feedback.png

SimAndRender02.zip (http://www.4rand.com/scripts/SimAndRender02.zip)

anyways enjoy,

John

Schnitz
01-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Here's some more reference vids.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bt892eMVzXk

5 stars to whoever can pull this one off.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1flVlL4Mf8k

Hordak
01-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Here's some more reference vids.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bt892eMVzXk

5 stars to whoever can pull this one off.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1flVlL4Mf8k

Those were great (some a bit scary)!

Thx!:thumbsup:

wreath
01-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Hi guys :) i added some ffx test shots, still trying to get better results on first ignition flames but still have weird ones :scream: all advices are welcome

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZBpoOFK5yt0

PsychoSilence
01-16-2008, 07:53 AM

of a FumeFX simulation.

Script checks some of your render settings (Save File, Single, Active Time Segment, or Render Range)
Simulation Range, Sim Path, Render Time Output, Render Range, and Render Output Path are now provided before script executes the sim and render command.

Right now the spinners are for visual feedback to see what you end frames are set too.

http://www.4rand.com/scripts/SimnRend_Dialog.pnghttp://www.4rand.com/scripts/SimnRend_Feedback.png

anyways enjoy,

John

You rock, buddy!!!

Hordak
01-16-2008, 10:24 AM
A little question that might be silly but it's got me wondering.

What are the advantages between AfterBurn and Fumefx?

I mean what does afterburn offer that fume doesn't... in becoming good with fume

would I then need afterburn at all?

jimmy4d
01-16-2008, 03:54 PM

of a FumeFX simulation.

http://www.4rand.com/scripts/SimnRend_Dialog.pnghttp://www.4rand.com/scripts/SimnRend_Feedback.png

anyways enjoy,

John

sweet thank you dude......

I worked on this sim with all of your advice and imput. The flames after the explotion were to big. Godzilla city like sorta. I think this is a bit better what do you guys think...............http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=OSD9ll4akdw

Hordak that is a good question. I would never give up my afterburn.

Schnitz
01-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Looking good Jimmy. The debris and camera shake are really bringing it together.
Mabey try lowering the time scale and burn rate a little to get more of a rolling fireball that burns much slower than the explosion at the start.
Also if you haven't already done so, in your lights shadow parameters turn on atmospheric shadows to give the smoke a nice feel of volume.
Great work so far dude.

Hordak:
I havent really used afterburn much at all but I suppose the main difference between it and FFX is that fume FX is based on a fluid system to calculate how each voxol interacts with those next to it which means lengthy simulation times and the possibilities of the plugin are limited by the resources in your computer.
With afterburn, instead of creating a perfectly realistic sim your actually trying to fake the effect using various animated procedural maps and will take it's movement directly from a predefined particle animation or other object. Therefore it's a lot less of a memory hog than fume fx and is the more realistic option for effects that Fume would take days to simulate and then crash when you run out of memory.
I hope this makes sence and if I'm completely wrong someone please correct me :)

nitrocom
01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
A little question that might be silly but it's got me wondering.

I mean what does afterburn offer that fume doesn't... in becoming good with fume

would I then need afterburn at all?

Well, the obvious one is AB is a volumetric puffy cloud generator, so it has volume in itself and this volume cannot be easily driven like in FFX...

FFX is a fluid simulator, however, AB is totally about being volumetric Puffy Clouds...

You cant simply create a realistic camp fire or any kind of other fluids in AB, like you do in FFX! The main reason, which i believed, that they created fumefx is, AB cannot match the needings of voxel factor...

nitrocom
01-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Oppss I forgot "QUOTE" :)

jimmy4d
01-17-2008, 02:40 AM
thanks Schnitz, what do you mean by time scale? you mean the frame count?

I'm confused :( sorry for the mental block. I just need to be sure.

As far as afterburn goes, man its a lot less on me ram and hard drive space. But fume is the whip, flat out man.

Schnitz
01-17-2008, 04:15 AM
thanks Schnitz, what do you mean by time scale? you mean the frame count?

I'm confused :( sorry for the mental block. I just need to be sure.

As far as afterburn goes, man its a lot less on me ram and hard drive space. But fume is the whip, flat out man.
The time scale is under the simulation tab in the FFX dialog. It controls the speed that each voxel will complete it's life cycle so it controls how fast your flame will expand, burn then turn to smoke and rise. So if you wanted to make something like a slow dry ice effect youd turn this down but if you wanted to make a fast fire effect like a rocket engine that burns fuel really fast you'ld turn it up pretty high.
What I was suggesting for your simulation is that if you animate the time scale so that just after the peak of the explosion, say about 8-10 frames in or so, drop it by about a third and you'll be able to see more detail in your fire and smoke as the temperture starts to drop.
I can post an example scene if I'm not really explaining myself very well.
Keep up the good work.
--Ronan

amckay
01-17-2008, 06:34 AM
hey guys just an update on the fume fx dvd. it was meant to be out well and truly before xmas, however still isnt out. I'm not entirely sure why as I delivered it about 2 months ago or longer. So I expected it to be well in the hands of everybody by now.

I've contacted Turbosquid but havent heard anything in the last few weeks so 'hopefully' something is going to happen soon!

Glacierise
01-17-2008, 07:04 AM

That has been asked before, you might use the search :) Technologically - AB is a volumetric renderer, that renders puffs moved by particle systems. FFX is a fluid simulator and renderer. The preactical difference is that with AB you can make all kinds of volumetrics and use the controls in particle systems to drive them, which can be convenient. Clouds, weird environments, contrails, explosions, fog, etc. On the other hand FFX's fluid solver gives you the physically correct looking behavior of fire and smoke, so you can get all the nice detailed and realistic movement. FFX is NOT intended to replace AB, they are just different things, and are used to do different jobs.

@Allan: We are holding our breath :D Also, I'm in your course! Now that will be fun.

nitrocom
01-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi Glacierise,

This wasn't my post, I just forgot to put a QUOTE sign!

Have a good day...

Glacierise
01-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Hah at least I should have noticed that it's you writing that :D Man do I feel like an idiot now. Oh well...

grury
01-17-2008, 08:01 AM
hey guys just an update on the fume fx dvd. it was meant to be out well and truly before xmas, however still isnt out. I'm not entirely sure why as I delivered it about 2 months ago or longer. So I expected it to be well in the hands of everybody by now.

I've contacted Turbosquid but havent heard anything in the last few weeks so 'hopefully' something is going to happen soon!

Too bad, those Turbosquid guys dont seem to be a very professional lot. I'm still waiting for a reply on an issue with PFlow Tool Box that we bought some 8 months ago...

jimmy4d
01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
The time scale is under the simulation tab in the FFX dialog. It controls the speed that each voxel will complete it's life cycle so it controls how fast your flame will expand, burn then turn to smoke and rise. So if you wanted to make something like a slow dry ice effect youd turn this down but if you wanted to make a fast fire effect like a rocket engine that burns fuel really fast you'ld turn it up pretty high.
What I was suggesting for your simulation is that if you animate the time scale so that just after the peak of the explosion, say about 8-10 frames in or so, drop it by about a third and you'll be able to see more detail in your fire and smoke as the temperture starts to drop.
I can post an example scene if I'm not really explaining myself very well.
Keep up the good work.
--Ronan

Thank you so much dude I will work on that today. that is going to help a lot.

This fourm rocks!!!

allen,
yeah ........you did your part, I'm still holding my breath man, can't wait.

Hordak
01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
That has been asked before, you might use the search :) Technologically - AB is a volumetric renderer, that renders puffs moved by particle systems. FFX is a fluid simulator and renderer. The preactical difference is that with AB you can make all kinds of volumetrics and use the controls in particle systems to drive them, which can be convenient. Clouds, weird environments, contrails, explosions, fog, etc. On the other hand FFX's fluid solver gives you the physically correct looking behavior of fire and smoke, so you can get all the nice detailed and realistic movement. FFX is NOT intended to replace AB, they are just different things, and are used to do different jobs.

@Allan: We are holding our breath :D Also, I'm in your course! Now that will be fun.

Yea I should have searched...

Anyway thx for the answer....

wreath
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey guys :) i just burn a new explosion test shot!:wip: hope you enjoy..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iTFV53UbjTQ

Schnitz
01-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Awsome work Wreath.:) I really liked the last 3 explosions ya posted too.

wreath
01-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks a lot Ronan :)

amckay
01-18-2008, 03:57 AM
haha jesus I loaded it into a tab and went back to scripting, didnt realize my speakers were cranked up haha scared the shit out of me

great work looks awesome!
how detailed is the voxel res on that ?

amckay
01-18-2008, 04:00 AM
RE: DVD - yeah I'm a bit ticked off to be honest. As I'm completely out of the loop about whats going on too. I've got a good relationship with TS and like how they work most of the time. However .. I'd like the thing to be out already

just wrapped on a biiiig feature film that is like 99% all fume FX! big vampire film with Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe. It should be out later this year. I think personally its my best stuff so far. learnt so much having to fight fume FX all day long : )
Finally going to hopefully be able to get back on forums, maybe catch up on what everyone's been doing! hell I'm still using max 8!!

Schnitz
01-18-2008, 04:27 AM
just wrapped on a biiiig feature film that is like 99% all fume FX! big vampire film with Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe. It should be out later this year. I think personally its my best stuff so far. learnt so much having to fight fume FX all day long : )

I always wanted to see Ethan Hawke burst into flames. You beat me to it. :)

wreath
01-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Haha :) sorry for that Allan i will be fix it on next test. Spacing is 1,2 and simulation arena is 300x300x500 by the way its exciting to hear that you like it.

n0mad
01-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Hi JohnnyRandom !
Very usefull tools.

these scripts will help very much!!

nitrocom
01-18-2008, 07:48 AM
wreath, sim looks great...

I sended a message via msn :) Catch me when you are free! I want to c your setup! :)
vbmenu_register("postmenu_4893498", true);

supremepizza
01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey guys. I'm looking for some info on Krakatoa + FumeFX. I don't have long to use Krakatoa since it's an eval copy so I need to work quick. I'm trying to get something together for a demo reel to send to Frantic. Anyone know where I can find the FumeFX + Krakatoa info I'm looking for?

SoLiTuDe
01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey guys. I'm looking for some info on Krakatoa + FumeFX. I don't have long to use Krakatoa since it's an eval copy so I need to work quick. I'm trying to get something together for a demo reel to send to Frantic. Anyone know where I can find the FumeFX + Krakatoa info I'm looking for?

How about right here? :) Feel free to ask all ya want... basically the workflow is

--Make your fume sim (can be pretty low detail, as you won't be rendering with fume... you just need the motion)
--Use Pflow (use quite a bit of particles) + FumeFX Follow Op (export velocity for this to work), (use optional fumefx birth, but it's a bit choppy if you have low voxel density in fume.
--Tell Krakatoa to partition our X number of partitions (generate craploads of more particles by randomly picking new seeds and saving out particles over and over till you have millions of particles... this will take a while
--Create a .prt loader, load your krakatoa sequence, and render away.

http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/interoperability_with_fumefx.php is about all ya get and of course this: http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/contents.php#Tutorials for the krak specific stuff.

jlelievre
01-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Man lots of great stuff going on here! I have been lurking for a while but

supremepizza: I just finished up doing some r&d for a project using FumeFX+Krakatoa and it's pretty cool. You can check out some of the tests I did here:

Krakatoa+Fume (http://www.delicatemachines.com/r&d/sandtest_tk002.mov)

I'd be happy to send you the scene files if you want. For info on the 2 you can find a lot of stuff here on these forums, or you may want to check out the Frantic boards as well; they have a lot of great info there. Also if you have Fume you can gain access to CGFluids and the SitniSati forums which are also another great resource.

Frantic Films Forums (http://support.franticfilms.com/wb/default.asp?boardid=Frantic&action=0)
Afterworks Forums (http://www.afterworks.com/MEMBERS/members.asp)

hope this helps

PsychoSilence
01-18-2008, 11:07 AM
How about right here? :) Feel free to ask all ya want... basically the workflow is

--Make your fume sim (can be pretty low detail, as you won't be rendering with fume... you just need the motion)
--Use Pflow (use quite a bit of particles) + FumeFX Follow Op (export velocity for this to work), (use optional fumefx birth, but it's a bit choppy if you have low voxel density in fume.
--Tell Krakatoa to partition our X number of partitions (generate craploads of more particles by randomly picking new seeds and saving out particles over and over till you have millions of particles... this will take a while
--Create a .prt loader, load your krakatoa sequence, and render away.

http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/interoperability_with_fumefx.php is about all ya get and of course this: http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/contents.php#Tutorials for the krak specific stuff.

thats the exact way i do it usually. most of the time i dont even use partitioning. i just spawn particles with a rate of 300,000...

JohnnyRandom
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I worked on this sim with all of your advice and imput. The flames after the explotion were to big. Godzilla city like sorta. I think this is a bit better what do you guys think...............http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=OSD9ll4akdw

What is your burn rate set too? you may need to increase it just a little and add a little more burn rate variation there at the end. Looks good though nice fragments and other extras:)

Nice wreath! sound effects bonus:thumbsup::scream:

Thanks nomad:)

Allan looking forward to those dvd's! maybe time to light a fire under their a$$:D

Hey Solitude/Psycho which way tends to be quicker out of curiosity (going to try them both but thought I would ask) Have either of you tried both ways? Particle calcs argh, can't wait for multithreading...

Joel, thats sweet, nice motion!

olipoli1
01-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi guys

I think I read trough 95% of the thread there is some nice info and some lovely FX! I was experimenting Fume for the past few weeks, I find it a big relief after Mayas cumbersome fluid engine which I couldnt realy get to master but anyways Fume is nice. Sorry for the long post but its my first here and wanted to know/tell a lot.

So ill try to post a small .mov of a napalm based flame thrower I tried to get together. Its based on particles which were simulated in RealFlow. I quiet like the effect but still see major things to improve but those are more aesthetik things and there are others which are rather errors.

-I saw other people had flickering in their light scattering(like in my render), I saw a suggestion which sad to render out in targa to solve the problem (which seemed like wiered solution to me) but it did not help.

-there is also an unwanted bunch of smoke getting created at the source of the napalm(which I could mask but anyways)

The mov had to be realy small but the main thing is visible I think.
Also I have been looking at this for so long I cant realy tell what to Improve... please share any suggestions you have.

Thx

jimmy4d
01-23-2008, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=JohnnyRandom]What is your burn rate set too? you may need to increase it just a little and add a little more burn rate variation there at the end. Looks good though nice fragments and other extras:)

Thanks man, Im still improving on that scene, Iam doing a another sim today so we will take another look. I increased the burn rate (not at my max pc) can't remember what its at. I will post later my settings. I still am going to have the tires roll away on fire. I think that would look cool.

Thanks again for you help

entrancea
01-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Wanted to ask a question...Suppose if someones head is on fire and when the Effects start I want it to burst into flames and then burn very violently then what do I have to do.I'll tell you what I set up..

I animated the Burn rate and the Flame Expansion to a high setting within 7 to 10 frames and then brought them down in 10 frames or so and I added two winds...One is a Spherical Wind with a setting of 0.8 wind strength and a turbulance of 4 and scale 0.1 and turbulance strength of 2 and another Wind which is planar and it has a strength of 0.2 and Turbulance of 2 TStrength of 1 and a sclae of 0.5.

Now I want to achieve an effect like Woods violently burning in Fire say like a camp fire....So do I need to do anything more?I'll post my result soon with what effect I got...cause right now am simming it....:D

Thanks guys,
Entrancea

Glacierise
01-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Raise the time scale?

entrancea
01-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Raise the time scale?

Ummm....Could you expalin to me what the Time Scale actually does?:bounce:

Thanks a lot,
Regards,
Entrancea

Glacierise
01-24-2008, 08:10 AM
It manipulates the way the solver percieves time. If you raise it, the simulation quickens up, if you lower it - it slows down.

entrancea
01-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Allright....I see....So if I increase it then I will get a more violent fire burn.....Still RnD'ing with a persons head catching on fire.....:D

Regards,
Entrancea

Hordak
01-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi Guys..

Just wanted to hear if anyone, that enrolled, got their final instructions for the Fume FX - Hollywood Digital Pyrotechnics (http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courses/000060/)?

Yes I'm a bit anxious:scream:

Glacierise
01-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm there too dude! Still no word on it. I suppose there will be something in the weekend, but I'm off to the mountains :) See ya on monday!

P.S.: I only hope the lectures aren't too far from European time. Anyways, will be fun with people from all over the globe, there's gonna be some coffee burnin' :D

Hordak
01-24-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm there too dude! Still no word on it. I suppose there will be something in the weekend, but I'm off to the mountains :) See ya on monday!

P.S.: I only hope the lectures aren't too far from European time. Anyways, will be fun with people from all over the globe, there's gonna be some coffee burnin' :D

No doubt!

Monday it is!:applause:

olipoli1
01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
HI again

I realy dont want anybody to feel pushed to read/check my post its jus that I read you guys, judgeing and comenting so many efects in this thread, that I would realy appreciate if you wolud tell me what you think of my flamethrower real flow+fume test. A few of you might have missed it because its the last post on the previous page... I have spent quiet a few weeks actauly to get this one right and I feel it could be improved so if you have any suggestinons... I would realy like a few fresh eyes to check it. But anyways this is a nice thread lets not let it down...

OK is there anything with the sim that should be changed, i feel maybe the time scale is a bit low(0,8) Im not sure how to texture the fluid mapping right what should be animated within the map, and what the delay setting is good for. Also does using the advection stride with a very low (0.05,005) or very high (1,2) multiplier make the sim wiered? I cant realy grasp what this atribute does realy... I know that its the dissipation of velocity but its sure not the same as velocity damping...

well thats for now

thanks again

olip

SoLiTuDe
01-25-2008, 08:31 AM
-I saw other people had flickering in their light scattering(like in my render), I saw a suggestion which sad to render out in targa to solve the problem (which seemed like wiered solution to me) but it did not help.

-there is also an unwanted bunch of smoke getting created at the source of the napalm(which I could mask but anyways)

The mov had to be realy small but the main thing is visible I think.
Also I have been looking at this for so long I cant realy tell what to Improve... please share any suggestions you have.

Thx

The flickering is usually related to licensing errors. If you restart max and go straight to render it can sometimes alleviate the problems... if that doesn't work, email afterworks support, and see what they can do to help.

Unwanted smoke looks like it might be from adding smoke at the source -- maybe try and turn source smoke off, and just use fuel creates smoke option in the simulation tab...?

It's a little bright, and there's probably a bit too much smoke as well, I suggest looking at reference videos of flamethrowers (youtube has some good reference) I think the smoke would also be a bit lighter and more transparent, not so dark and opaque.

olipoli1
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
hanks Solitude

The manual says something about too spikey or drastik opacity afc-s for smoke which could render sudden changes in lighting so I adjusted that and it looks to be working. It might still be because of licensing and startup problems though...

The other thing is that some particles that get separeted from the bigger bunch render the fire too uniformly around them is there a way to randomize the radious or some other params. concerning the size of fire emited? Seed is just for the initial randomization it wont change with time if im correct...

Oh and one other thing: did anyone use the source controllers yet? I understand what they do I just couldnt realy think of a situation in which I would use them, well it might be becaus Its not totaly clear what they are good for

thanks all

JohnnyRandom
01-26-2008, 04:57 AM
Sorry olipoli1, I actually saw your clip the other day, and well got a little overwhelmed at work and forgot to get back.

Looks really good, I agree with Ian on the over brightness and the density of the smoke. Really nice motion in the smoke though:)

A couple of things I noticed (nothing big), there seems to be some large surges from your emitter (you may have done that on purpose), it looked like you had some strange bleed going through some of the geometry (near the end on the back wall in the doorway), and the amount of expansion seemed a little excessive at the end (acted more like an explosion than an accumulation of fuel). All in all a great shot. Couple tweaks and it will be there IMO.

And by source controllers I assume you are talking about the gravity vector?

entrancea
01-26-2008, 05:40 AM
Hey Guys......Am having some problems with Fume...it seems that after a few frames of Simming My Max crashes.....I have a config of 2.4Ghz Quad Core and 4gb of Ram and the grid spacing of FFX is 80x80x80......Any clue why?I mean it is a pretty low res sim.....:shrug:

Regards,
Entrancea

SoLiTuDe
01-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Entrancea: I've had some similar issues... I can't quite nail it down yet, so I haven't posted it as a bug, but I believe it has to do with Direct3d display on my machine (and at least 1 of the other machines just like it) If I turn my preview window off, or start other programs or switch to other windows, fume is very likely to crash. This is only in 32 bit max too btw. 64 bit works great for some reason. I switched my 32bit max9 to opengl and it has so far fixed most of the fume crashes.

Hordak
01-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi

Anyone experienced this?

Know what it could be?

Using 2008 and scanline

olipoli1
01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks JR its good to hear thats it not that bad.

The huge expansion is on purpose altough Its a bit out of controll...but I tought as the big amount of unburnt napalm splashes on the wall with this velocity it suddenly ignites on a larger surface it gets sprinkled on. The particles behave a bit wiered because I created the sim in Real Flow and I wanted to do a thick, stiky kind of fluid and when I had something not so bad I started to tweak the Fume sim... I might go back and refine the RF particles as well. Oh yeah an you spoted the bleed... well I cant realy tell why it happens the geometry is considered by fume and it was there when I simed the particles... so Im not sure.

Source controllers are (by the manual) adittional constrains you can set on the different emission atributes(fuel, Smoke etc.) of a source. You can set a linear dependence betwen a source atribute (like fuel or temp or smoke) and a chanels data. Sou you can say that the fuel chanel is controled by the Smoke source controller: if there is X or less amount of smoke in a voxel, fuel will not be emitted if there is more than Y amount of smoke in the voxel, fuel will be fully emitted... maybe the manual explains it more clear.:) So for instance you could say that when there isnt the desired amount of fuel in a voxel dont create smoke there or in any other combination of chanels and controllers.

Entrancea: I had max crash after diferent amount of rendered frames but only with renderers other than the default scanline. I might try what Solitude suggested with the preview window or the opengl setting.

Hordak: I didnt have that yet but I saw someone reporting this kind of thing before on this thread. I didnt realy remember what others suggested for a solution but there were some ideas. It was a good 20 or so pages back i think.

Hordak
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
hey olipoli1

I changed my display drivers from direct3d to software... that fixed it.

So now you know:)

JohnnyRandom
01-26-2008, 08:15 PM
olipoli1, hehe, I didn't mean to imply it was bad it all, actually looks like you spent some good time on it;)

yep:), for some reason it wasn't clicking in my head last night what you were asking about source controllers...something I haven't fully dove into yet...for some reason I was thinking, well you know what I was thinking:P

Hordak, I have seen that issue in max2k8. Turning of multithreading gets rid of the spots in renders. That's 2k8 though haven't run into that issue in 9 in d3d or ogl (sparse use of ogl these days though, only when I am in modelling mode)

Hordak
01-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Hordak, I have seen that issue in max2k8. Turning of multithreading gets rid of the spots in renders. That's 2k8 though haven't run into that issue in 9 in d3d or ogl (sparse use of ogl these days though, only when I am in modelling mode)

Thx JohnnyRandom

That's nice to know

olipoli1
01-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey

Its intresting... I cant realy see how licensing could envoke a problem like the lighting flicker but what Solitude sad is working great! If you render right away after starting max the flickering disapears... I have no idea how these things work intrenaly, does anyone have a clue?

Oh and Im sure you guys have seen this ad, do you think this is fume and krakatoa all the way, and especial at the end when the chock bar unfolds? Ithink it looks great!

http://studio.adbeast.com/files/00000022/2211724_Snickers-Russian-Smaller-H264.mov

SoLiTuDe
01-27-2008, 07:34 PM
^ It's a "feature" put there by the programmer to help weed out piraters, or at the very least not give them a proper working plugin... the problem however is that I often still get this issue, and have proper licensing set up.

entrancea
01-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Ian:Thanks for the info dude:D .....Well do you have a dual boot system with both 32bit and 64bit XP.....Cause Then what I could do is I could do my Sim and Render in my 64 bit and then pass the Targa or PNG or whatever in the 32bit and then the rest is in the comp....But do you use both 32bit and 64bit XP?

olipoli1:Yeah dude,my driver is set to Direct3D....:shrug: ...SO I'll be installing WIn64 on my machine....And lets see....

Regards,
Entrancea

SoLiTuDe
01-28-2008, 05:44 AM
Nope. We only use XP64. We do use max 32 and 64 max though.

olipoli1
01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Lasse!

Sorry to post it here but your private messge box is full, so got rejected by the system.

Wow thanks for the nice comments on my stuff! Its funny that you are asking for my settings becuse I was just referencing yours:). I folowed up the thread to recent times (untill my post) and I checked most of your works and they were prety awesome I have to say! You wouldnt belive but I had a raid setup that just messed up its reference table yesterday, so all those stuff is unaccessible at the moment! I might have lost it forever:( but anyways Im at work now so I will try to remember my settings when I get home and forward it to you. I actualy tweaked that stuff you saw, even further but as I sad it might be lost.

Olip

SoLiTuDe
01-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Just thought I'd share with you guys a little memo we got from out IT dept.

"FumeFX caches are using almost 50% of *project* storage
19,000 files using .75TB of space, average file size of .fxd is 38MB"

:eek::eek:

grury
01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Just thought I'd share with you guys a little memo we got from out IT dept.

"FumeFX caches are using almost 50% of *project* storage
19,000 files using .75TB of space, average file size of .fxd is 38MB"

:eek::eek:

Eh Eh! Same here. On our last project I had sims that had 300Mb/frame fxd files. Not ideal when doing stuff across the network.

JohnnyRandom
01-29-2008, 07:41 PM
mmmmnnn fibre channel NAS:drool:

EDIT: what do you guys use?

Hey anybody tried solid state drives for a scratch disk?

Glacierise
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Man that sounds insane :) I am also interested in SSDs, anybody tried them? Also, how exactly does FFX multithread? Like rendering, or worse?

SoLiTuDe
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM

No Idea.. not the hardware freak I used to be. :)

JohnnyRandom
01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
deep down...once a hardware junky always a hardware junky:D

SoLiTuDe
01-29-2008, 10:40 PM
very true... so let me rephrase: i'm too lazy to ask, and don't have enough time to get all the details I'd want. :)

amckay
01-30-2008, 12:08 AM
well after waiting far too long.. I hear the DVD should be out in a few days.
Fume FX: Essentials, covers everything you need to know to get the ball rolling with Fume. I do plan to release a disc later this year that is 100% focussed on fire (ie. like every type) however a majority of this disc is fire, and explosions and totally aimed at doing kick ass effects. So after all of this time, I'm sure it was worth the wate!

I've been told Jan 31st! so I assume that's the day it will go live via turbosquid!

Glacierise
01-30-2008, 04:53 AM
Fingers crossed! Could you disclose more details on the content of the next DVDs?

grury
01-30-2008, 06:43 AM
mmmmnnn fibre channel NAS:drool:

Hey anybody tried solid state drives for a scratch disk?
They laying down the fiber here, hopefully will b up n running soon.

entrancea
01-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I've been told Jan 31st! so I assume that's the day it will go live via turbosquid!

Fingers Crossed Mate......Fingers Crossed(not the middle ones though!!:D )

Thanks in advance for the DVD's dude...U Rock.....

Regards,
Entrancea

jimmy4d
01-30-2008, 08:20 PM
well after waiting far too long.. I hear the DVD should be out in a few days.
Fume FX: Essentials, covers everything you need to know to get the ball rolling with Fume. I do plan to release a disc later this year that is 100% focussed on fire (ie. like every type) however a majority of this disc is fire, and explosions and totally aimed at doing kick ass effects. So after all of this time, I'm sure it was worth the wate!

sweeeeeet dude. .........Iam on cd2 (Fire ball) of your afterburn by cg acadamy.
You are the fire god.

thanks man

visualchaosfx
01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Omg Omg Did you Hear? Did you Hear? Word is that the FumeFX Training DVD willl be available February 1st.

Copy of email:

Allan McKay has produced a new Training DVD for the Turbo Training Collection called "FumeFX Essentials". This DVD will be available Feb 1st on Turbosquid for $59.95.

The training on this DVD focuses on getting you up to speed with the ACAP plug-in FumeFX to create visual effects including:

1. System operation
2. Object interaction with FumeFX effects (Ground Breaking - low ground fog effects and 'pluming')
3. Burning Paper (materials, fume fire, animated burn patterns)
4. Campfire (fire and smoke look and tweaking to achieve a specific effect)
5. Bubbling cauldron (falling dry ice style gaseous smoke effects)
6. Explosions (giant explosion - tweaking the look and motion)
7. Advanced Fuel interactions

Allan McKay is the director of Catastrophic, a highly acclaimed visual effects studio specializing in visual effects for A-class Hollywood films. With over a decade of experience, Allan has received the prestigious Autodesk Masters award as well as an Emmy, two Academy Award Oscar nominations and a gold Promax.

Previously, Allan has worked on films including Superman Returns, Blade Trinity, Asylum, Paycheck, Day Breakers, Scooby Doo 2 and dozens of others."

Turbosquid Team
Your Life in 3D

visualchaosfx
01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry Double Post

superhypersam
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
scalable fire test

trying to create a fire set up that can be used at multiple scales, and on moving charcters or objects, its getting there.

www.giantapestudios.com/fume/cicaro_burns.mov

cheers

Glacierise
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi folks, is there a way of 'caching' a FFX volumetric so it can be copied/offset 'round the scene? Thanks!

P.S.: Nice test Sam, looks too broken/fractaly though. I think a bit smoother would be better.

JohnnyRandom
01-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Nice burn rate Sam:thumbsup:

Glacierise I think Solitude was working on something in that area...

SoLiTuDe
01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
^ More than once now. :) Glacierise: You can just shift->copy the grids to wherever you need them... they have to be copies though since you'll want to change the *offset* or playback start frame. They will use the same cache file as the original one...so if you resim they're already updated. The only catches are A: Network rendering blows because multiple machines will try to read the same cache file and grids will render nothing on certain frames... more like they'll blink. B: If you resize the grid you'd have to repoint the copies to the cache again and tell it to get the settings from the file.

Basically get the sim you want, copy it a bunch, and you can use the script below to randomize the start frames... (new script -> paste -> Select all -> drag text to toolbar or Ctrl-E to run)

And I should point out there is no error checking in this script... (very simple) It'll only work if you have fume grids selected (or objects that have some .offset parameter)

/*!
\file FumeStartRandomizer.ms

\remarks Select fume grids, then set high and low values for start frames

\author Ian Farnsworth
\author Email: you wish.
\author Company: Blur Studio
\date 01/07/08
*/

rollout fumestartrollout "FumeStartRandomizer" width:198 height:104
(
spinner lowspn "Low Value" pos:[30,8] width:107 height:16 range:[0,100000,0] type:#integer
spinner highspin "High Value" pos:[32,32] width:107 height:16 range:[0,100000,0] type:#integer
button btn1 "DO IT!" pos:[24,56] width:112 height:41

on btn1 pressed do
(
sel = selection as array
for i = 1 to sel.count do
(
sel[i].offset = (random lowspn.value highspin.value)
)
)
)
createDialog fumestartrollout

Also: For you code junkies out there, yes I could totally write this in a one liner, and don't really need a for loop, but mehhh it works. :) I wrote this a month ago -- I've learned a lot since then.

Glacierise
01-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Great Solitude, thanks! A bummer about the net rendering though. Still, it's a cool approach, should be useful!
Btw, why isn't Brandon Riza here in CGTalk?

SoLiTuDe
02-01-2008, 12:04 AM
and I quote: "cause CGTalk can suck my b****s and d**k"

hehe... he's mostly too busy, but doesn't really care that much anyway. :D

jimmy4d
02-01-2008, 12:18 AM
scalable fire test

trying to create a fire set up that can be used at multiple scales, and on moving charcters or objects, its getting there.

www.giantapestudios.com/fume/cicaro_burns.mov (http://www.giantapestudios.com/fume/cicaro_burns.mov)

cheers

dude that is sweet...........:)

amckay
02-01-2008, 01:13 AM
New Training DVD from Allan McKay: FumeFx Essentials

(New Orleans, LA – January 30, 2008) - TurboSquid, home to the world’s largest collection of royalty-free 3D assets, is pleased to announce FumeFX Essentials from Allan Mackay, the newest training DVD on the FumeFX plug-in for Autodesk 3ds Max.

Allan McKay is the director of Catastrophic FX, a highly acclaimed studio specializing in visual effects for Hollywood films. Allan created effects for Superman Returns, Blade Trinity, Asylum, Paycheck, Day Breakers, Scooby Doo 2 and dozens of others. Allan has also been a guest speaker at conferences around the world including Siggraph and Digital Media Festival, as well as teaching master classes to up-and-coming visual effects artists.

The FumeFX Essentials DVD, which includes over three hours of training, focuses on these key features:

Introduction to FumeFX and how the system operates
Object interaction with FumeFX effects (Ground Breaking - low ground fog effects and pluming)
Burning Paper (materials, fume fire, animated burn patterns)
Campfire (fire and smoke look, and tweaking to achieve a specific effect)
Bubbling cauldron (falling dry ice-style gaseous smoke effects)
Explosions (tweaking the look and motion)
Advanced Fuel interactions
“This DVD covers a lot more in-depth material on effects, including shaders, particles and the handling of the actual shots, sometimes even compositing them,” says McKay. “It also includes lots of crowd effects, liquid, and procedural effects, as well as scripting and advanced techniques.”
Full press release here : http://www.turbosquid.com/Index.cfm/View/BAZ3YV

Grab the disc here!
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/384802/

So the disc is finally out! I hope everyone likes it, its what I consider to be all of the base knowledge everyone needs to know for fluids to create smoke, explosions and of course fire, as well as create all of the most customized effects you need. I hope everyone enjoys the content!

-Allan

entrancea
02-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Ooohh Sweet God....Finally....after a whole lot of waiting finally its out....All hail the Fire God....:thumbsup:

Regards,
Entrancea

jlelievre
02-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Hey thanks for this Allan! Can't wait to check it out!

entrancea
02-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Allrighty....Ordered my DVD Copy....will be gettin it by next week.....can't wait...:D

Big Thanks to Allan for this release...

Regards,
Entrancea

Glacierise
02-01-2008, 06:32 AM
and I quote: "cause CGTalk can suck my b****s and d**k"

Send my f**kin' best wishes then :)

@Allan: Hallelujah! I hope the next ones are coming, too :D

rebolt
02-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Greattttt news :) Thanks allan i was waiting for this DVD since long time and finally its out.

iceman32
02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks, at least it's out. Is this the only one or does Allan plan to do more of them?

Daniel-B
02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
A link to Allan's new Fume FX DVD. Looks great Allan!

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/384802

Malcolm7
02-01-2008, 09:07 PM
that's great news Allan this should be a great Training DVD.
1 question Allan : How do you feel about this latest training Dvd ? In terms of the way you present your lessons ect..

The last Dvd I got from TS (on using pflow) has some Technical issues low video/audio quality on some lessons, and the speed at wich you where clicking buttons all over the place made it hard to follow along .

And one more shot at TurboSquid after waiting all this time to release the DVD, guess what ? they release it on a friday and we have to wait another 4-5 days to get it from the mail ..NO DOWNLOADABLE FORMAT !! Jesus Lord :banghead:

Glacierise
02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Hah guys don't know if anybody has noticed, but... There I stand peacefully at 2 AM watching blur's frontlines trailer for n-th time, and I decide to go frame by frame, just when the artillery fires, to check out the FumeFX explosion. And I am skipping frames carefully, when I see the attached image! Now that's obviously the blur folks and their easter egg! Now what are the chances of seeing that! Just to let you know guys, I've found your little treasure :D

SoLiTuDe
02-01-2008, 11:05 PM
haha... i'm pretty sure that's not blur though. :) We're thinking the game company must've added it after we handed it off.

Glacierise
02-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Damn. I had this suspicion, judging from the skyline, but I still hoped it is you guys :) Well no matter, it's still funny though. And the FFX stuff is good in this vid.

amckay
02-02-2008, 10:25 PM
heh yeah thats not blur unless everyone got facelifts

Solitude - speaking of which, I'm going to be in LA week after next, I told Kirby I'd see if you guys are up for lunch or something.

malcolm7 - hey mate, yeah the advanced vfx 2 dvd I recorded was right in the middle of filming superman returns, so unfortunately I was jumping between canada, australia and the US on a weekly basis, and so it might have made some inconsistencies. this disc I've recorded on one machine, taking time off to record the entire thing so it should be pretty good. and everything is slowly paced out so it should be easy to follow. I hope you like it!

As for downloading etc. I could talk to them about adding that feature, I'm guessing they're afraid of making it one step easier for piracy perhaps, I'm not entirely sure. But I think in this day and age that option should be there for people who want to grab stuff quickly. I'll see what I can do!

jimmy4d
02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Hale the fire GOD.............. Allen you are so modest and so willing to help people and please everyone.

Thanks so much from all of us. I know I speak for everyone.

Now lets all blow up stuff...........

Digital Masta
02-03-2008, 02:32 AM
Well, I bought my copy. :thumbsup:

duke
02-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Hah guys don't know if anybody has noticed, but... There I stand peacefully at 2 AM watching blur's frontlines trailer for n-th time, and I decide to go frame by frame, just when the artillery fires, to check out the FumeFX explosion. And I am skipping frames carefully, when I see the attached image! Now that's obviously the blur folks and their easter egg! Now what are the chances of seeing that! Just to let you know guys, I've found your little treasure :D

I don't see anything about Frontlines on their site - got a link? :D

Glacierise
02-03-2008, 11:28 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24046.html

And the breakdonws on Brandon Riza's site:

Cort3z
02-03-2008, 02:02 PM
http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fumefxstrangesmokepufs0af0.jpg%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2005/fumefxstrangesmokepufs0af0.th.jpgHi, I'm new here, so im sorry if anyone have allready answered my question, anyway:

I have just recently got FumeFX and I'm running it in max 2008. I am trying to make a simulation where i have particles emit from a point in space with a find target test. They are supposed to inpact on a planet and create these "nuclear explosions". But when I start the simulation these funny looking fire "pufs" are created after the moving particles. What should i do?

http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fumefxstrangesmokepufs0af0.jpg%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2005/fumefxstrangesmokepufs0af0.th.jpghttp://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2005/fumefxstrangesmokepufs0af0.th.jpg (http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fumefxstrangesmokepufs0af0.jpg)

amckay
02-03-2008, 07:43 PM
So you're emitting particles and fluids from those particles - and you want it to be more of a continuous streak?

its hard to tell from that image specifically what the problem is, however firstly check your particles are emitting enough not to form a gap like that. Otherwise obviously you'll have that problem.

Also if you go into your fume fx simulation tab, go down to simulation steps (it's up the top) and adjust this to 2 or 3. This will make it sub step the simulation so you get less gaps when emitter objects are moving too fast for the simulation steps to keep up.

But more importantly, when you're emitting from particles, keep in mind what it's doing. It's creating a particle which is an emitter for fume - so each time you create one, its a new emission of fuel. So if you're trying to create a streak of them make sure the oldest one is at the top, rather than trailing behind an object etc. Its just worth mentioning depending on what you're doing.

pflow and fume do not have a lot of control over eachother at this stage - Let me know how you go with this

Cort3z
02-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Im not on my workstation right now, so I havent tested these things yet, but I do believe that the simulations steps are my problem. The one particle i have in the render is the only particle there. I want to keep the particle count down as much as I can. I got the idea of creating a trial of particles right after I posted the thread, but that will take ages to calculate, so I'll try the simulation steps first.

Thanks for the help amckay. I'll post results later when I have the time. Thanks again!

Cort3z

Suzume
02-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to create a loopable animation of a flame. The reason for this is to put an animated texture on a plane and make it behave like a billboard sprite - always facing the camera thus useable for reducing render-times (many torches and other burning stuff on screen) and even real-time-environments.
To accomplish this task I tried changing the out-of-range types to "cycle" and "ping pong" - to no avail.
So how can I adjust the simulation to stop it from growing. I'd rather have some instant flame - an eternal flame so to speak.

SoLiTuDe
02-04-2008, 06:40 PM
heh yeah thats not blur unless everyone got facelifts

Solitude - speaking of which, I'm going to be in LA week after next, I told Kirby I'd see if you guys are up for lunch or something.

Sounds good... just give us a heads up the day before or so. :thumbsup:

Scotlad
02-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Suzume: What i`d do is create a constant `fire` animation in fume, render out a segment of it (including alpha), then in AfterEffects or whatever duplicate the clip, fade it out on one layer and at the same time fade it back in on another layer so that it ends on the same frame as it starts - hope this makes sense :)

Suzume
02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
It does, and that's what I'm doing now. Thanks. :)

PsychoSilence
02-08-2008, 08:05 AM
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/384802/&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=258&utm_content=FumeFXdvd&utm_campaign=3B4S84

entrancea
02-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Yup!Got my copy.....brilliant stuff.....

Regards,
Entrancea

Glacierise
02-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Guys, I have a FFX workflow question:

With small scale effects, with grid sizes of about a 1x1x1m, I have no problem with making the spacing larger (low res), adjusting my effect, and then reducing the spacing (mid res), making small adjustments, and then going high-res for the final effect.
But with larger scale effects, grid sizes above a few meters, low res grids produce a result that is far removed from what mid res and high res grids produce. The result is that I need a slow sim even at the starting stages of the effect build, when I need to tweak a lot, hence sim a lot.
Is there a way around that? For example, to scale your scene down, then scale up when you have a rough version, and sim with the bigger grid? I know CPU power is the solution, and I intend to buy 2 Core2Quad boxes when the Q9450 comes out in March, but until then I'm stuck with my C2D E6400.

Thanks!

feldy
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Phsyco allready bought it... :thumbsup: they put up samples up nice

Rif
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I've seen this tutorial sneak peack by Allan ( http://www.turbosquid.com/SiteFiles/Tem ... ample.html (http://www.turbosquid.com/SiteFiles/Temp/TurboTraining/FFXEssentials/BurningPaper/BurningPaperSample.html) ) and was wondering why he's using quality 10 and max. of 200 iterations for simple fire.

it makes no sense as user would save hours by using quality 5 and max of 100 iterations and results will still be more than very close

http://cgfluids.mba-studios.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

iceman32
02-09-2008, 07:15 AM
I've seen this tutorial sneak peack by Allan ( http://www.turbosquid.com/SiteFiles/Tem ... ample.html (http://www.turbosquid.com/SiteFiles/Temp/TurboTraining/FFXEssentials/BurningPaper/BurningPaperSample.html) ) and was wondering why he's using quality 10 and max. of 200 iterations for simple fire.

it makes no sense as user would save hours by using quality 5 and max of 100 iterations and results will still be more than very close

http://cgfluids.mba-studios.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, Rif, thatīs maybe true, donīt know. But anyway, I love Allanīs DVD, it explains a lot to me and is the ONLY videotraining available for FumeFX, the one that ships with the software is rather bad and doesn't explains so much.
Looking forward to see DVD 2 and 3, keep up the good work Allan!

entrancea
02-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Allan....what was the config of ur machine that you used to make the tutorial......I finished the tutorial and its damn good:thumbsup: .....got a whole bunch of information.....right now trying to creating a plane plunging downwards with its engine caught on fire......Will upload a preview when its done....:D

Thanks Mate,
Reagards,
Entrancea

entrancea
02-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey Guys,
After watching Allans Fume Tutorial did an Explosion.....Mid Res sim.....Comments are appreciated...:D

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

http://download.yousendit.com/A46FA9D333E4A0D8 (http://download.yousendit.com/A46FA9D333E4A0D8)

jimmy4d
02-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey Guys,
After watching Allans Fume Tutorial did an Explosion.....Mid Res sim.....Comments are appreciated...:D

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

http://download.yousendit.com/A46FA9D333E4A0D8 (http://download.yousendit.com/A46FA9D333E4A0D8)

Sweet man that looks Great. I think all of our Explosions will improve thanks to allen's cd.

entrancea
02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Sweet man that looks Great. I think all of our Explosions will improve thanks to allen's cd.

Thanks Man.....Yeah....Thanks to Allan now our skills would really kick up.....So my current project is a plane crashing in the ground.....so what I'll be showing is a plane with its engines caught on fire and then coming towards the ground and crashing on the ground and exploding......Will upload it one its done.....

Cheers,
Entrancea

amckay
02-15-2008, 03:57 AM
entrancea nice work mate keep up the great work
I'm glad everyone's enjoying the fume fx dvd so far it's been a big hit!

I take it all of you are going to be at siggraph this year? should be a big one in LA!

entrancea
02-15-2008, 05:21 AM
entrancea nice work mate keep up the great work
I'm glad everyone's enjoying the fume fx dvd so far it's been a big hit!

I take it all of you are going to be at siggraph this year? should be a big one in LA!

Allan,
Thrilled to hear that you liked it:bounce: .....But am gonna keep improving on it.....Well Siggy is gonna be a far thing for me since I live way far in India and it would be a lil difficult for me...Though would definitely love to go there.......

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
02-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Hey guys,
Quick question.....I am using XP64 bit on my machine and my render farm has 32bit XP...so lets say If I send my scene off from the 64bit version to the render farm through backburner then will it work?Or Viceversa......

Thanks Guys,
Regards,
Entrancea

grury
02-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Hey guys,
Quick question.....I am using XP64 bit on my machine and my render farm has 32bit XP...so lets say If I send my scene off from the 64bit version to the render farm through backburner then will it work?Or Viceversa......

Thanks Guys,
Regards,
Entrancea

Sure will.

entrancea
02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh cool.....Thanks man...:thumbsup:

Regards,
Entrancea

grury
02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Altho I guess u have to open your file on a 32 bit machine to be able to send it to backburner. Or vice versa.

entrancea
02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Altho I guess u have to open your file on a 32 bit machine to be able to send it to backburner. Or vice versa.

Oh no......I was wondering if I could send my file from a 64 bit version to the 32bit render farms or vice versa......:D

Cryptite
02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
That's a negative. It'd have to be added to the render queue again from the 32 bit program due to the difference in floating point calculations that are pretty different between the two. Best bet, and what I do, is to just set up the less intense renders on a queue that uses your slower computer and vice versa for the high-end scenes and 64-bit workstations.

entrancea
02-15-2008, 05:06 PM
huh.....well watcha know....and here I was thinking that my job was half done.....and also Max 64bit files wont open on 32bit Max....but plus point is Fume simmed on a 64bit machine can be read by the 32bit MAx just fine....so what I figured was that I'd sim my Fume data in the 64bit and send it off via the 32bit.....That way my sim and render would both get done quickly....just the buggy thing is I have to keep switching between operating systems.....well have to wait a few more months till our studio switches to 64bit XP and all....But thanks for the reply guys.....Pretty xtatic today....my 7th sem results came out and seems I scored quiet well....only one more sem to go for college to get over....maybe thats why I'm writing this huge post....:D.....

Thanks and Cheers Guys,
Regards,
Entrancea

Bercon
02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Here is my exploding trash can http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~jylilamm/graphics/FFX_Explosion_02.mov

I think the problem that causes its brighntess to vary unnaturally is that I have few spikes in my opacity curve, it looks good on still (adds some detail) but with animation which has gradually fading fire like explosion it doesn't come out that well.

SoLiTuDe
02-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Hmmm... odd... I've never had any issues opening "64bit files" in 32 bit max and vice versa. ...and if I remember correctly the sp2 update for max actually added option to submit to 64bit / 32 bit in backburner when submitting a network render.

superhypersam
02-15-2008, 08:06 PM
im using max 9 64 to create all my work, but rendering on a 32bit max 9 farm, though the farm has 64bit XP installed.

im using Deadline to submit, which has an option to use eithier flavour of max.

no problems with this set up for over a year of heavy production

cheers

sam

JohnnyRandom
02-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Nice booms boys:)

entrancea
02-16-2008, 01:39 AM
Here is my exploding trash can http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~jylilamm/graphics/FFX_Explosion_02.mov (http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/%7Ejylilamm/graphics/FFX_Explosion_02.mov)

Hey Jerry,
Nice work dude....Although my guess would be that the fire intensity is a bit too much....also did you turn multiple scattering on?It would give a nice fall off of the fire on the smoke as well......

Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
02-16-2008, 01:48 AM
@Ian:-Well golly....guess I have to reformat my PC cause a friend of mine tried it out and he said that the same setup worked fine for him......Oh boy!This is becoming one crazy week for me...:scream::):surprised:sad::eek::argh:

The above is an expression of my face right now.......

@superhypersam:-Dude......I am reformating my machine right now...So after I install all the softwares and plugins back on I'll try out the backburner issue and tell you guys....

But thanks a lot for the info dudes....

@Johnny:-Thanks Man....:D

Regards,
Entrancea

amckay
02-16-2008, 05:00 AM
sorry was running late for a plane (just flew into New York from LA) didnt spot the other question about hardware. all my boxes are quad core machines with 4gb ram. nothing amazing but they do the trick. my dell m90 core2 duo 2gb ram which is what i demo at my masterclasses etc. is actually pretty good for fluids, I was suprised.

I was in vancouver at Frantic on the weekend and using their boxes they had duel cpu 8gb ram 64bit.. and even just the 64bit is a huge leep I noticed, as I never compared the two on the same box. However I had to run the 32 bit max for some stuff i was teaching the guys, and then when I loaded up 64 it flew.. so you dont really notice such a speed increase until you're using it on the exact same specs etc..

actually the latest film I just finished up we had 64bit boxes but I didnt bother upgrading our xp licenses to 64bit, which i definitely will be before the next production!

bercon haha cool explosion dude!

entrancea
02-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Oh cool....Thanks for the reply mate.....Allright.......Yeah even I use the same configeration(quad core and 4gb) and previously used to use the 32bit XP but when I switched to 64bit precessor the sims just flew right by....I mean its remarkable to see how much the performance is boosted....Its almost like a Nitrous in a Race Car.....So am gonna use 64 bit for my productions from now on.....:bounce:

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

Glacierise
02-16-2008, 07:11 AM
I just bought a quad q6600, so you folks say I should go straight 64bit? How come there is a performance difference?

entrancea
02-16-2008, 07:49 AM
he he...really the performance difference is mind boggling....Well as far as I know is that the to start with 32bit doesn't support more than 3 gb of RAM where as 64 bit theoratically supports 128gb of Ram....and not only that 64 bit processor has more than 6times compting power than 32bit.....But then again just search for 32bit vs 64bit XP in google.....:D

Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
02-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Aaahhh!!After much reformating and reinstallation finally my 64bit and 32bit integration works perfectly.......And yes...now the 64 bit files do open up in the 32bit system and vice versa and have no issues what so ever....

Well.....What a twist in fate....I guess I'd be going to Siggraph this year after all.....

Cool....

Regards,
Entrancea

wreath
02-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi guys! i made a new explosion shot with FFX and trust me no one will hurt by sound this time :)
here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=596852)

entrancea
02-18-2008, 01:45 AM
Hi guys! i made a new explosion shot with FFX and trust me no one will hurt by sound this time :)
here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=596852)

Sweet Explosion Man....Although why is the fireball looking transparent for the first few fframes of the footage?All in all great stuff...

Cheers,
Entrancea

wreath
02-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi Subhrojyoti higher expansion values cause little transparency issues you can fix it in many ways, i prefer leaving it in compositing then fix it but i forgot it in this time ;)

tool2heal
02-18-2008, 08:18 AM
yea nice explosion there, I notice that when I tend to cut off the fuel, and temperature at a specific frame, sometimes some of my smoke likes to hover around the source until it dissipates. Is there a certain way to fix this or is it easier to cover up with a shockwave, or debris effect?

Another question, to get the fireball to rise at a nice pace in the start to form the plum of smoke, I notice that my explosion rises to quickly at the end. Would I go about udjusting this by animating the buoyancy curve or the gravity, since I want it to rise quickly and then sort of hover over at the end?

here are a couple of tests I have run, you can see what I am refering to specifically in explosion01, and explosion02. the shape looks nice but the whole effect dissapears way to quickly to be believable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWGm6tGM54

Thanks.

entrancea
02-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Another question, to get the fireball to rise at a nice pace in the start to form the plum of smoke, I notice that my explosion rises to quickly at the end. Would I go about udjusting this by animating the buoyancy curve or the gravity, since I want it to rise quickly and then sort of hover over at the end?

Well to make your explosion stay for quiset a bit you have to animate your time scale to drop down over time say like from 1 to .2 and have very little buoyancy say about .2 or .1 to get that nice plume you want....and also you have to have an expansion like around 3 to 4 depending how big you want your fireball to be....and then you have to animate your temperature over a certain [eriod of time say the amount of time you want to spen for the fire epanding or rising up,cause for reference I was seeing the 9/11 Twin tower plane crash videos on youtube and what I noticed was that the explosion happens a lil slowly in the begining and then slows down very much at the end and also something which I am trying to get is that I saw those explosions and saw that the smoke which is created after the fire dies out is white when it first starts to form and then becomes charcoaly black or greyish black and so on....so how can I get that smoke?Also when the real explosion happens it seems that instead of one big explosion several smaller mushrooms make up a big explosion.....Here I am attaching some refrence videos with this post....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgm8dNJvM6k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFxx1o84dj4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=6JrRCA-fdd8

Regards,
Entrancea

tool2heal
02-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, You know I realized I have never even touched the time scale spinner at all, basically because I had no clue what it does. As for animating the temperature thats what I currently do. I usually have it at zero and at a specific frame have it jump to 1200 or so. but should this be a gradual decrease over time? let's say I am siming 150 frames. I usually have it at 0 until frame 60 where it goes straight to 1200, then at frame 80 it drops back down to 0.

I will try that time scale thing right now. since I have been working on a new explosion and can't get it to look like I want it to. It's amazing what a .1 increase or decrease on the spinner can do.

Thanks.

entrancea
02-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey dude,
Well say your temerature is something that drives your fire...so if you have ur temperature starting from 0 the what you get is your fire slowly coming to form since its reading your temperature from 0 to a certain value over a period of time which means that it gonna start off slowly....But say if you start your explosion with a temprature of 3000 and then animate it to rise to 6000 over 15 to 20 to 30 frames and then animate it down over the fore mentioned frames then what you get is a noce plume that reads all that temperature and blows out....also if you specify Add values then what will happen is your temperature will be kept on being added to your explosion until it dies out.....which is turn will give you that mushroom cloud effect....heres a little effect I got while experimenting with the explosion....An FFX Max preview......

http://download.yousendit.com/778C110C01DF510A (http://download.yousendit.com/778C110C01DF510A)

Also here are my settings....

entrancea
02-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Sorry for the messy setup of the images but I havent installed photoshop on my new XP so thats why couldn't do a better setup...

Regards,
Entrancea

Rif
02-18-2008, 05:54 PM
based on entrancea (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=287508) screenshots..

again i dont know how many time i gotta repeat it .. quality = 10 with iterration 200 is simply useless..

anyhow.. good luck..

amckay
02-18-2008, 06:20 PM
---------------

amckay
02-18-2008, 09:02 PM
// ignore // I'm a grown man I dont participate in crappy wars

Rif
02-18-2008, 09:44 PM
allan i really wouldnt go their if i where you ;)

i actually liked more your polite answer.. but now that you re-edit it ..

All though i m totally desagreeing with someone that dosnt know the software sharing advices about it and selling wrong infos to the user comminity , lets go along with this..

grid size of 100 Cubic DO NOT FINAL !.. The Advices of Not passing quality 6 are Clearly for Finaling production shots ( 300 Cubic min).. And Thats where if you Start you nice Clock timer and count per frame how much time it will take as difference, you will see the point i m trying to explain ya..

but i m not even arguing with you.. my answer is totally and strickly , i repeat, for the good of fumefx users and to make sure peoples actually use the software to its full power with the less amount of frustrations as possible.. Everyone i have seen using fume or every 1 i have teached using fume always end up cooking sims for days before getting to their final qualitys.. I just feel that its sad to have peoples cooking for soo long when users that knows how the software has been designed can do bigger than ever looking sims in hours at full rez...

:

Global Variable : Quality = 6 AT THE MOST

iterate as much as you want , as long as you keep this Global Variable the way it designed to be = OPTIMISED properly sim time..

amckay
02-18-2008, 10:25 PM

Rif
02-18-2008, 10:28 PM
hum.... ... well , now looking back at this post it dosnt make much sence .. it feels i m answering to my self..

so for peoples who wants to understand what happend here..

first Allan answer was : Rif your smoking crack , Quality= 10 is way better than quality 5 balbalba...

and i dont feel its a war to make sure peoples know that those informations are wrong ! ..

depleteD
02-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I dunno dude, my quality 10 ffx sims always look better than my quality 5 sims....

Rif
02-18-2008, 11:28 PM
well i can then assure you ur wasting sim time.. Nothing i have ever done passes quality 6.. and i mean nothing ..
but dont beleive my words for it.. try it !

depleteD
02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
particle flow rules.

Rif
For Sure !! :)

Malcolm7
I also like dabates.You can get alot from them. So Rif I think that People like Allan are looking for more quality ( better looking renders) as opposed to time saving tips.Am I right guys ?

Keep this discussion going I want to see what you guys opinions are.

Also can we see a quality 10 and 5 render frame and how long it took detail from you ? we've seen Allans work.

depleteD
02-18-2008, 11:33 PM
nah dude im just pissin around.

depleteD
02-18-2008, 11:33 PM
On a serious note, what Im interested in is how to plug in new fluid solvers into fume. Anyone done this?

And does anyone have links to papers that show different algorithms.

Rif
02-18-2008, 11:35 PM
malcom , i didnt mean to make this post about allan .. really , i dont "hate " that australian guy.. besides all our personnal issues from ages that are in the past..

My point is simply trying to make sure peoples uses Fume properly.. i Really Honestly just want that.. i have RARELY seen Any Fume fx Setup that i m proud of looking at .. i feel that good tips \ advices should be more present in the industry thats all .

Rif
02-18-2008, 11:36 PM
ahh.. nop not for grid based systems anymore.. at least not me ;)

Fedkiw is adding some new stuffs in his similar aproach , maybe their you can find something new ?
http://physbam.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/ (http://physbam.stanford.edu/%7Efedkiw/)

that one in particular would be aswesome to see in futur fume : http://physbam.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/animations/fireball.avi .. that fire just look fantastic and it dosnt seems soo heavy .. again i havent read the paper though..

Malcolm7
02-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Rif I hear ya.And I also like Allans work.

So can you (when you have the time) post some dues and don'ts that "you" use to optamize your Fumefx work.You might as well put out a small essay on the matter .I would love to hear more from your point of view on using Fumefx.

depleteD
02-18-2008, 11:39 PM
you know where the solver has "conjugate gradient" Fume allows you to choose your solver. So if you make one you can pick one for the right solution.

Can you upload some good examples of fumegrids? Optimal quality for optimal time. What are the good rules to follow? I use fume quite a bit but I pretty much push values till I get what I want regardless of sim time. I just send it off to the farm and forget about it.

SoLiTuDe
02-18-2008, 11:40 PM
I also like dabates.You can get alot from them. So Rif I think that People like Allan are looking for more quality ( better looking renders) as opposed to time saving tips.Am I right guys ?

Keep this discussion going I want to see what you guys opinions are.

Also can we see a quality 10 and 5 render frame and how long it took detail from you ? we've seen Allans work.

Well Rif is more of stating that anything above a quality of 6 in the sim settings has neglible difference in actual quality, and that the time wasted makes it even more useless.

I actually tend to use quality of 3 or 4 and kind of replace that quality with a really low grid spacing.... times kind of even out that way, but if I'm going to be waiting THAT long anyway, then yeah an hour doesn't really matter, so I might crank the sim quality up another few notches and get a better looking motion... but if i need to save time, then quality of 10 is a "bit" on the high side.

I'm not going to agree or disagree with anyone either -- I think each person has their way of working and that in most cases there is no right or wrong.

Rif
02-18-2008, 11:41 PM
depleteD (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=56319) i try my best on cgfluids to answer Anyone concrete question in the fume fx section..

if you have an example their that you would like me to look at and give you my 2 cents about how i would aproach it , just log in , post it under scene debugging section and ill take a look at it and upload you back my 2 cents..

their was Other solvers for Fume in alpha Phases but the CG updates that kreso Made finnally Combined all the other solvers aproaches into 1..

also plenty of proper advices\tips on cgfluids ;)

Malcolm7
02-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks Solitude .Wow you see it wasn't a war after all, I'm actually learning thanks :thumbsup:

Cgfluids.I'm heading there now thanks.

Rif
02-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Solitude your right , but i m stating more than just that.. I m stating that From ALL the tests i did , Its Totally useless to put hours of more sim times for more quality than 6.. As you mentioned , Nothing ( not quality , not iterations) will Beat More voxels in your simulations ! .. so Lower your sim time of your "Environement Fluid Setup" and then Add more voxels and youll get even Better quality for the Same Amount of time that you would with Quality = 10 .

Rif
02-18-2008, 11:56 PM
looking at the new previews uploaded i did on cglfluids , http://cgfluids.mba-studios.com/images/top/moreframes_theoneilike_.gif
this test looks fitting perfectly to explain my point.. Again the playback speed is always wrong on those .gif

Here i m using Quality = 5 with 120 Iterations .. Keeping the Sim time low and the Chaos in the grid to a Minimum ( XYZ turbulance almost none and No Spacewarp usages) , using tp for creating velocitys where needed , i can add some voxels amount to make the sim look richer..

Basicly the idea used behind all the previews that i feel gave me successfull setups time\ quality :
http://cgfluids.mba-studios.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=399&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a