PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

SoLiTuDe
10-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Entrancea: Make a network share and map each computer to have drive letter access to it, like they all have access to the S drive or something, then you can just save your files there, and all of your computers look at the same place for the same files.

Jason: You can't have two different gradients for two different sources -- only way is to simulate separately and then render separately As for drag spacewarp, no idea =) The standard max forces need big multipliers for fume to use them, so maybe try higher numbers, or you can use velocity damping in the fume sim. dialog which is pretty much the same thing.

nitrocom
10-12-2007, 11:15 PM
To Jason,

No, drag does not work for fumeFX... I've tried it many times in simple scenes but got nothing! I'm not sure about reason but its probably about particle flow... Well forces like wind can be used in pf, however, it can be used in cloth too but you cant simply add drag to cloth or any kind of modifier except pf! So probably this is the reason you cant use drag in fumeFX...

entrancea
10-14-2007, 03:29 AM
Solitude-I was wondering how could I simulate Fume FX using multiple machines?Is it possible to sim the same file on different machines....Say a technique similar to Max's Backburner?

Thanks and Cheers.

SoLiTuDe
10-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Solitude-I was wondering how could I simulate Fume FX using multiple machines?Is it possible to sim the same file on different machines....Say a technique similar to Max's Backburner?

Thanks and Cheers.

Nope. :) You can sim on one machine only. It has a backburner mode that will let you send the sim to another machine, but it's just one sim per one machine, not one sim with multiple machines.

entrancea
10-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Dang...thats too bad:banghead:

Thanks and Cheers Dude.

jason-slab
10-15-2007, 12:42 PM
hey
thx for the info guys, pitty about the shading in fumeFX, i'd really like to see a shading per source option. hopefully in future versions heh.

jason

Lassjus
10-17-2007, 05:19 AM
I'm wondering if any of you have a nice method of slowing down a simulation.. I would really like not to loose the detail I get when I adjust the time-scale to 2, but with the simulation going really slow.. Hope my answer is clear enough.
Thank you.
Lassjus

jason-slab
10-17-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm wondering if any of you have a nice method of slowing down a simulation.. I would really like not to loose the detail I get when I adjust the time-scale to 2, but with the simulation going really slow.. Hope my answer is clear enough.
Thank you.
Lassjus

u mean setting the time scale to .5 to slow it down? setting it to 2 speeds it up

/jason

Lassjus
10-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Yes, I know, but when you set the time scale to .5 in a simulation where it was set at 2 in the first place, you will loose lots of detail. I would like a method to slow down a simulation, without loosing the fine details and motion of the simulation. :) Any suggestions??

Lassjus
10-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Could it be possible to script it?

Scotlad
10-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi, I`ve created an `earth` globe and am trying to get a sort of `roadrunner` type smoke/dust trail searing across the surface of the atmosphere. The problem is i can`t get a small enough scale to match the huge globe.

Here`s the basic setup. The simple-source is attached to a circle path around the globe..

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4898/vp2vv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7070/vp2wd8.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/232/shot1qs3.jpg

As u can see from the smoke trail it`s much too big. The grid is roughly 160x160x60. When i try to make the simple-source sphere any smaller than radius 1 it either doesn`t work at all or sporadically..

Any tips or guidelines on getting it much tighter/more controlled?

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4898/vp2vv7.jpg

Lassjus
10-17-2007, 10:47 AM
There could be several reasons the smoke turns out too big. Try to decrease the simulation scale... decrease the expansion, if it's set to over 1,5 or something like that... You might upload your scene. I might have time to take a look at it..
Lassjus

Scotlad
10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks.

I`ve attached the scene file (without textures), it`s Max8..

[edit]

Expansion - i`m not using fuel just smoke..

Simulation scale - Where is this setting..?

Lassjus
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Nice scene. I had a quick look at it, but I did not figure anything out at first. I'l have to take a look at it later today. I'm at school and have to do some work now.

Lassjus
10-17-2007, 02:07 PM
one question.. Do you want it to look cartoonish, or realistic? How big should it be? Draw something in paint or describe it. :)

Scotlad
10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks. I`m looking at realistic :) Taming the amount of smoke seems to be the hardest thing, ideally i wanted a small stream the slowly expands nearer the back of the tail as it is left to gravity etc.. My tablet isn`t working so excuse the sketch..

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6350/shot2qu6.jpg

With the render at the top of the page i`ve messed with the opacity/fallof to make it appear quite turbulent but it still isn`t hard enough imo..

For speed it should cover say half the globe in say around 6 seconds..

Lassjus
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
I'l take a look at it, and see if I can get it right. I have never used the kind of emitters that you use, so I'l try with geometric emitter if that's ok. I suppose the smoke is the most important part of the sim.. I will try to post it this evening.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean "spacing" ;) I just could not remember what the setting was named.

Scotlad
10-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeh i figured the simple source would be quicker to calculate.. try a geometry at will!

Lassjus
10-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey. I got no internet at my house yesterday. I will take a further look at the scene afterwards.. I think I found some things that could make it thinner, but the most important would be the scale..

Simulation step. Set this to 2, and it will create a kind of sub-step between each frame. Is it possible to make each of this steps a frame. Script it or something? Anyone knows?

Scotlad
10-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi,

Putting simulation step up seems to make it a bit better.. I`m also having the problem of the smoke `breaking up` like this..

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/4634/shot3ri7.jpg

I thought this was the dissipation settings but i zero`d them and it`s still doing it..

Lassjus
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I have modified your scene a bit. And I added a object source instead. You will have to animate it your self. ;) I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for, but take a look at it and tell me what you think. And sorry for the late reply. Lots of work at school and no internet-connection at home. :)

Lasse

Scotlad
10-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks man that`s a lot better.. It seems that using your little cone geometry as a source rather than the simple-sphere made a big difference. I noticed u set the spacing really small too and surprisingly it didn`t kill my pc which it did previously :)

So, i path-constrained it to the circle spline and it looks much better/finer. I have another couple days to work on this (learn fume smoke-trails in a week yeh right?) so i`ll be tweaking things a bit further.

For example adding a spherical gravity force into the sim. I tried this before and it seemed to drastically increase the calculation times - do i just add the force directly into the fumefx UI yeh? And also adding the globe sphere as a deflector so the smoke settles nicely onto the atmosphere (with hopefully some turbulent/wispy swirls if all goes well).

Thanks again and no doubt i will be back shortly :)

Lassjus
10-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Very nice to hear that you like it. I though a cone would work fine because it is quite similar to the shape of the smoke you want to create, right..
Yes, try to add a spherical gravity, and just add the earth like you add sources and forces. Think it will look good. :)
Promis me to post your results, and the progress as well please. :)
What are you going to use it for anyway?

Lasse

Lassjus
10-19-2007, 08:22 PM
I have made a little test with a friend of mine from school. The simulation time was surpriseingly long, and I think it turned out pretty good. The only thing I can point out is that the smoke does not look good after my friend touches it. Well. Tell me what you think...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGBrsbWCoXc

Lassjus

Lassjus
10-19-2007, 11:18 PM
I made a new animation this evening. Really productive today. :) It is just a little fire, but I tried to make it look realistic to the environment.. Please feel free to write some feedback. :) I don't know which of these are best, so I post them both. My personal favourite is the last one.. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Up321k0BM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQtKBY9vr8I

Cheers

Luxorian
10-21-2007, 10:33 AM
How do I connect a PFlow with Fumefx? Every time I try using a Particle Src with my PFlow it just ends up creating small glowing pieces of fire instead of turning all particles into fire.

byousif
10-21-2007, 12:52 PM
hello! i had the same problem. i just kept seeing puffs of smoke and fire instead of a fluid like animation.

what you need to do is simply play with the settings under simulation notably fuel burn rate, expansion etc.

its trial and error but it wil def improve on straight linking pflow with fumefx and simply simulating.

hope that helps. peace.

Lassjus
10-21-2007, 04:59 PM
What you need to do is either turn up the radius, or turn down the spacing. That will help you out pretty well. Expansion can work as well, but I would personally go for the spacing. And maybe you want to turn up the amount of particles. A tip would be to let the particles spawn into 5 more particles, or so, this way you can keep the shape of the particlesystem you are allready happy with, and increase the amount of particles. This also makes the particlesystem look a little more random (maybe).

PsychoSilence
10-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Wow, just set a new personal record: 108 frames of caching = 18gb...that is only one of my 3 particlesource layers... :D

feldy
10-23-2007, 03:03 AM
man... was that straight pflow caching or fume sim cache or both?

PsychoSilence
10-23-2007, 03:30 AM
hey bro! how is it going?

yeah it is straight fume sim cache...thats wired :D

grury
10-23-2007, 06:55 AM
hey bro! how is it going?

yeah it is straight fume sim cache...thats wired :D

Eh eh!
On a shot I'm working right now, 150 frames, I have 229 Gb of FumeFx sim data, incl fluid map.

Scotlad
10-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Hey PsychoSilence, ur writeup/guideline thingy for freelancing was great, thanks for that! Realy fresh and honest.. Nice to see such openness in this industry.. :D

PsychoSilence
10-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey PsychoSilence, ur writeup/guideline thingy for freelancing was great, thanks for that! Realy fresh and honest.. Nice to see such openness in this industry.. :D

Hey Scotlad, thank you very much! Iīm very glad that people read it and further more maybe follow some of the advices... ;)

@ grury: u won! :D are u allowed to talk about the shot?

kind regards,
anselm

feldy
10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
what guide? I wanna read it. that much data for that amount of frames seems a little high to me but what do I know I only do realtime fx these days. physco la is on fire dude check it out http://lafd.blogspot.com/2007/10/interactive-map-of-southern-california.html

there trying to burn me and sol to the ground.

PsychoSilence
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
that article:
http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/misc/freelancers/index.html ;)

yeah f*ck that fire...hope everybody is well :(

feldy
10-23-2007, 05:07 PM
dude its crazy over 300,000 acers burned over 500 homes burned over 300,000 people avacuated. its crazy.

grury
10-23-2007, 05:23 PM
@ grury: u won! :D are u allowed to talk about the shot?

kind regards,
anselm

Basicly theres this guy covered in some sort of burning slime, then just crumbles and turns into dust/smoke. Have a few passes of smoke, coming off the guy first, and then other passes for when he's desintegrating. On top of that have a few krakatoa dust passes. Pretty heavy stuff, n only 150 frames long.

Cheers.

GallenWolf
10-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey everyone!
I apologize if this has been asked before, but in the Afterworks Gallery, http://www.afterworks.com/FumeFX.asp?ID=13

The two simulations on the very left, the corridor sim and the fire torus sim - I have a few questions. Do you guys know:-

- what kind of simulation times will be needed to achieve such a detailed effect?
- Is the detail caused by shaders or purely from the simulation?
- What kind of voxel grid would either of these use?

Thanks!

GW

Cryptite
10-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Hey guys, I've finally gotten around to mostly indexing this thread.

As such i've updated the main post with a Table of Contents akin to the Mental Ray thread so everybody can navigate around the thread a little easier.

In addition, I'm having a bit of a scale vs quality/blockiness issue that I've still yet to figure out. Maybe I fail to read the thread correctly, but has anybody got any ideas on this one?

http://www.elysium3d.com/images/fumefx/scaleproblem.jpg

nitrocom
10-24-2007, 10:05 AM
To Alvin...

I watched them again, just to remember whats going on! And actually there is no exact answers to your questions but some ideas to reshape your thoughts :

First of all, They, the animations, all are in very detailed action, detail means more voxel, voxerl means more time and more memory!

Just to give an example, I've done 2 months ago a simple smoke pass for my deconstruction animation and the length of it was 49 frame, volume is 250 x 250 x 75.
I've used 0,85 spacing for this animation. So as you know there are lots of parameters that can change situtation but for my animation this simulation took 1 hour (maybe 5 min up or down) to finish... So, you got the point :D

So shading is everything for an realistic achivement but the main parameter for those videos is firstly detail, more voxels...

C ya!

Scotlad
10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Cryptite: Hi, i`m still vnew to fumefx but i`ll offer my 2cents see if it helps. Either a smaller spacing or more simulation steps might improve the blockiness. Or if you are using fluid-mapping then maybe make sure the map itself is set to explicit map channel unless your using object/world coordinates..

Nitrocom: It would be interesting to deconstruct those especially for fume noobs like myself :) Especially the corridor one... I reckon the lighting/shadows there has a lot to with the effect there which is something i`m struggling with at the moment. Also, how to achieve the effect of the big round dense plumes of smoke evaporating into all those small wisps..

Lassjus
10-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey, scotland: Have you come any further on your earth-prjoct? I'm kind of curious how it turns out. :)

Cryptite
10-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Scotlad, My scene scale size is incredibly small, which is why I outlined the number. Normally I try to have a Sim up to: about 900mb at most, but I was getting incredibly low-scale results, so I cranked down the spacing, which is why the number got up to 21g. Not sure why the scale is so unnaturally off. There inlies my confusion.

nitrocom
10-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi Scotlad,

Actually Also, how to achieve the effect of the big round dense plumes of smoke evaporating into all those small wisps..

to this question, there are lots of ways to achive this:

You can add more turbulance on it an make lower the scale of turbulance

You can decrease the advection stride, which is default 0.5, making it lower means more swirly stuffs on your fluid...

You can add more additional forces to your animation like wind with turbulance..

They were what have came to my mind earlier...

You can take a look on fumeFX guide, there are lots of helpful stuffs...

I hope it helps!

Scotlad
10-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Lassjus: Hi, Earth project - still trying to get around fume :D Really liked ur jellyfish thing btw it was excellent quality would be nice to see ur settings for that ;)

Nitrocom: I`m actually trying it now. Trying to figure out certain things like - fire shoots out of the source then seems to die out and convert to smoke, but no smoke is created where the fire is hot (can`t figure that out).. If i get anything worth showing i`ll post it up..

GallenWolf
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks nitrocom!

Siahpoosh
10-25-2007, 09:21 AM
hi guys

i have problem with fume fx.. when i start simulate fire 3ds max crashed after 40 frame .
my fire simulate is not heavy by its always crashed...

whats the problem ?

(sorry for my bad english)

Lassjus
10-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Scotland: Thank you. The settings were really simple, just a object emitter with a map for the smoke emition. Low amount of smoke with high density. And a wind with turbulense. Then most of it solved out itself.
To get the plumes of smoke I would also try to adjust the time scale. Higher time scale means more detail in the smoke. Low time scale will soften it out. In my explosions I have to adjust it up to 2 often, to get the right amount of detail. If I adjust it to 1 it tends to get too soft. Try to adjust this. You could also make the emitter look like the smoke you want to create. for instance, make a touros or a sphere, and a smaller sphere. Then use the compound scatter to cover the larger touros or sphere with about 50 smaller spheres. This way, it will emitt smoke which has the initial shape you want to achieve. I always use mapping as well, not shader-mapping (Which I have never grasped. Don't know how to get a decent result) but emitter mapping.

Hope some of this helps.

Hm Mamali, wish I could help you, but I have no clue. I would try to simulate another scene, and see if the same thing happens. If not, maybe try to save the settings of the troubled scene, and make it al over, import the settings and see if that helps.

Siahpoosh
10-25-2007, 02:10 PM
hi Lassjus
i`m using particle for create fire ... i`m testing this in all scene but i have problem and max crashed.

my system information :

ram 2GB
cpu dual core (two 2.8 cpu)

sometime when max crashed i cant see any infromation for error and max closed (automatic)

(sorry for my bad english)

nitrocom
10-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Hey Mamali,

I have no exact answer to your question but in my work, my workstation does not run fumeFX! Well it can be related to 64bit Windows and I'm running 64bit at work!

If someone experienced something like this, please let me know, too :)

nitrocom
10-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey Mamali,

I have no exact answer to your question but in my work, my workstation does not run fumeFX! Well it can be related to 64bit Windows and I'm running 64bit at work!

nitrocom
10-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Hey Mamali,

Scotlad
10-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Nitrocom: Looks like your running 96bit InternetExplorer :D Three posts for the price of one...

nitrocom
10-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh guys I'm sorry, when i was sending my message it gave me an error and I had to hit the refresh for 3 times, its the reason why They are here, sorry again!

Scotlad
10-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Nitrocom: Did i sound pissed off i didn`t mean to lol!

Anyway, here`s a clip of the progress on the earth/juggernaut/fumefx thing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2BaMZ8RzZo

Lassjus
10-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Mamali: I'm sorry, I have no clue. I had a problem with fume some days ago, and I am so addicted I formatted my computer and installed it again. :D

Scotlad: Looks really nice! Try to make the smoke a little bit darker, and the flames a little bit more saturized. Looking forward to some further tests. :)

Lasse

andyburm
11-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I got a weird problem:

For one scene I have, I can't see my sim in the preview window after I stop it.
Output path is set and the sim is written out on disk; also, the FFX Prefs are at default.

Anything else I can check?
thanks guys

jger
11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Playback range correctly set up?

andyburm
11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
yes, on second thought - i got the scene setup at 120FPS for a slow-mo shot - would that affect the playback? I don't think it should since it's cached out on disk.....

andyburm
11-02-2007, 06:17 PM
yes, on second thought - i got the scene setup at 120FPS for a slow-mo shot - would that affect the playback? I don't think it should since it's cached out on disk.....Again, I can see the sim in the preview during calc time. As soon as I stop and click the viewport it's gone - tried re-installing already.

andyburm
11-02-2007, 06:20 PM
sorry for the double-post

nitrocom
11-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi there,

I experienced the same problem before and to be honest I ve got no clue about it, as I said earlier in my office, my workstation can go crazy about fumefx and even cant run it on 64bit, I think it is related to 64bit, cause I have no another explanation :)

andyburm
11-02-2007, 09:27 PM
it must be file-related since it's working in other scenes, i am running max9-32bit

thanks for your suggestion!

jger
11-03-2007, 08:38 AM
No other idea, sorry. Had this only once and this was related to the playback range.

Lassjus
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3TXhFl0hM

Hope you like it!

Glacierise
11-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Awesome! You guys should post some tuts.

Luxorian
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM

Hope you like it!

Nice! I'd LOVE to know how that simulation is set up :)

Lassjus
11-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks. I'm still working on it. Adding some light dust-smoke and some sparks, plus making the actual explosion a little bit more random.

nitrocom
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Very good stuff, keep improving dude :)

Lassjus
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Thank you. Hope I have the time to post something tomorrow as well. Whish I had more ram. I have only 1 GB of ram, and a really slow lap top. :(

SoLiTuDe
11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey Lassjus, I'm curious what method you're using for your explosions...? Simple src, obj src, particle src...??? They look great btw!

JohnnyRandom
11-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Hope you like it!

Very nice:thumbsup:

Lassjus
11-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi. Normally I'm using a mix between particle src and object src. The object src to make the actual fireball, and the particle src to make it look a little more random. I usually use a torous as the object. That way, the explosion gets the right shape for a mushroom movement right away. :) Glad to hear you like it.

Scotlad
11-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Looks great m8 well done. Be really nice to see that extra level of dust and shrapnel accompanying the blast itself too..

Lassjus
11-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Hm. I'm rendering a new one, with higher detail. Looks good, but my comp just manage to simulate 34 frames before it runs out of ram. I will borrow my friends comp for the simulation of this, he has 4 times as much ram :) I wanted to add a bunch of white smoke, but the problem would be to make it react to the explosion, because I cannot have two different-coloured smokes in one sim. I think I will have to make a mesh version of the explosion that can drive the smoke.

Scotlad
11-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Sounds like a good solution (a mesh version)

Lassjus
11-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Hope so. A little difficult to do, but shouldn't be too hard. How is the earth project going?

JohnnyRandom
11-07-2007, 04:21 PM
but the problem would be to make it react to the explosion, because I cannot have two different-coloured smokes in one sim.

Not the ideal solution but have you tried just adding another container, src, and running the sim?

Lassjus
11-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Edit: Sorry. I missunderstood your post. I'll try again. YOu mean to add the same emitter to the next container. It could be posible, but Im afraid it will simulate different. I have not tried it yet. Still working to get the actual explosion to look the best I can. :) But I will have it in mind. Thanks. :)

JohnnyRandom
11-07-2007, 05:39 PM
This sim should be the same, other than say your opacities would look different since your adding twice as much volume and interaction would certainly not be completely correct (or if at all) Everything else is controlled from within the grid (you already know that) so you could change the adv stride, gravity, bouyancy a little bit without it looking to incorrect.

It would be nice to be able to select another container and be able to add it to the obj/src objects list.

EDIT:A quick dirty low res sample:

http://www.4rand.com/TEST/2SRCsmokesample.png

feldy
11-07-2007, 06:54 PM
very nice on the explosion comming from the window

Lassjus
11-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Thank you both, and thank you for the effort with the simulation Johnny. I agree, it should be possible to select another sim as an interacting object!

PsychoSilence
11-09-2007, 12:40 PM
hy all
i need to render fume and a fume shadow pass sepataely, the render element "SHADOW"
is fu*ked up :( i get a spotty "dead pixel like" result with it :( how can i tweak either my light, fume illumination settings or my render (vray/scanliner) to get proper results splitting fume itself and its shadow up into two render layers?

kindest regards,
anselm

Bandu
11-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey Anselm, would you post a pic of this "bad" shadow pass? I've had some issues using MD + VRay in the past but usualy all render passes are fine.

cheers,
Bandu

Bandu
11-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey Anselm, would you post a pic of this "bad" shadow pass? I've had some issues using MD + VRay in the past but usualy all render pasees are fine.

cheers,
Bandu

Bandu
11-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Hey Anselm,
would you post a pic of this "bad" shadow pass? I've had some issues using MD + VRay in the past but usualy all render passes are fine.

cheers,
Bandu

PsychoSilence
11-09-2007, 01:43 PM
hey bandu, thanks for the quick reply! unfortunately its NDA stuff :( :( :(

looks like the alpha is good but the diffuse is bad...i guess its no biggy to use the alpha on a black color solid...i wish i could use another render then vray...but i need proper motionblur at all matte objects :(

Lassjus
11-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Today I made a granade explosion. Im going to add a lot of dark dirt to it, and some diffuse smoke around it as well. Hope you like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYc126K4-zQ

Lasse

PsychoSilence
11-11-2007, 04:47 PM
how can i split a rendering up into "fume smoke" and "shadow only"? the render element from fume works only for the smoke not for the shadow :(

JohnnyRandom
11-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Sorry dude, flipped back a page and saw you already tried a standard shadow pass :(

Any adjustments to the shadow step size change that bad shadow pass you mentioned?

Also how does the alpha of the shadow pass look? (argh you already answered that too, no more posting when I'm out of whack!)

PsychoSilence
11-12-2007, 07:40 AM
figured it out!
u have to set ur render elements in scanline render and THEN switch to vray...they dont show up in the render element list in a third party renderer as it seems...thatīs so stupid...

JohnnyRandom
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
So I am curious, what type of light/shadows are you using? GI yes or no. My workflow is a mess when I need to use shadows. I can't get a standard shadow pass to work with Vray 1.5 (alphas always look fine). Actually can't get standard max lights to work with VrayShadow Render Element when using a Vray Shadow, either.

Fume seems to be inconsistent when handling shadows. Once you seem to get it working right, don't switch renderers, don't flip the lights on and off, don't adjust gi, gets a little frustating.

JohnnyRandom
11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Anselm, are your lights and shadows under NDA too?:p

PsychoSilence
11-14-2007, 07:23 AM
no gi no nothing, just a simple shadow map and atmospheric shadows on of cause. i assign the render elements in the scanliner and then switch the render...saved a render preset for both renderers...its kinda hack...i wish vray would fully support the fume render elements...but tis the wrong renderer for fx stuff anyways :D but im restricted to what i get here...

JohnnyRandom
11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Gotcha, I did a few experiments with shadows and vray lights (vray 1.5rc1-3), and yielded fairly good results, but was never able to get a good shadow pass with the exception of using the alpha channel.:shrug: Just need to do some more testing I suppose.

Thanks for the info:)

PsychoSilence
11-16-2007, 08:31 AM
ended up not using any render elements. just edited the vray object properties for effect shadow in one layer turning visible to camera for the fume grid off. that got me a decent shadow pass. bt was annoying to set up round about 20 shots by hand tiems two :(

anyways! turned out bad ass, unfortunately i cant show anything :shrug: NDA... maybe i assemble a demo scene later on.

Lassjus
11-16-2007, 11:41 PM
HI. I have never figured out how to use motion blur with my simulations. Have any of you used it before?

Lasse

Malcolm7
11-17-2007, 05:51 AM
Quick question to allan mckay or who ever knows the answer.Will Allan mckay training dvd for FUMEFX come out this year or next.thanks

PsychoSilence
11-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Quick question to allan mckay or who ever knows the answer.Will Allan mckay training dvd for FUMEFX come out this year or next.thanks

andrew and ian can help u out! use the "environment sphere"-trick ;)

Glacierise
11-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Ummm, I didn't really get this one :D And the news on Allan's site - 'will be out soon through Turbosquid shortly' doesn't sound too sane either! Will be a great DVD course and a workshop, that's for sure.

JohnnyRandom
11-17-2007, 06:12 PM
HI. I have never figured out how to use motion blur with my simulations. Have any of you used it before?

Lasse

Not here either, haven't really needed it for any Fume stuff yet. Something to look into, though. I almost always apply it in post, seems to come out a little smoother/softer for me, plus alot less render time.

And the news on Allan's site
Yeah, I saw that too, be interested to see whats on it:)

Lassjus
11-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Johnny: Thanks. How do you do it in post? I have never figured out that either. Do you use combustion, after effects, or some other program?

SoLiTuDe
11-17-2007, 08:57 PM
andrew and ian can help u out! use the "environment sphere"-trick ;)

I think you quoted the wrong guy =) As for Moblur - I haven't gotten good results with using the "FumeFX Moblur" option in the Fusionworks rollout... it seems to do about 50 times more blur on the fume than it's supposed to... I still have to play with that stuff....

...however if you have objects moving and camera moving and using image moblur, what you can do to help alleviate issues with matte geo not lining up properly in comps is to create a giant sphere that encompasses the whole scene, invert the normals, then add the matte / shadow material to it, and turn on image moblur in it's properties.

For bluring the fume stuff itself we'll also do it in post... usually just directional blurs and creative masking :)

depleteD
11-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Yea we gotta use hacks for moblur with fume wich is really to bad.

Down the line I'm hopefing for MR compatibility so we can have a unified motion blur on everything :D

Can't wait.

Lassjus, I am always impressed by your work. Very cool dude.

-Andrew

JohnnyRandom
11-19-2007, 12:20 AM
I use AE mostly (learning/using fusion a little) Directionl blur. Radial blur. Depth blur.

There are plugin solutions, that work well for some cirumstances. ReelSmart Motion blur (reasonably priced:) less than $90), Krokodove for fusion (expensive for the good blur)

I guess it really depends on more than just the factor of motion, but what kind of motion and how fast/complex is it. You can cheat quite a bit when the shot is really short or really quick. It's that intemediate speed/long duration that really kills the cheat factor.

I do use max's mblur often (for other things), but if it's a lot faster not too then I try not too, but sometimes it has to been done.

Lassjus
11-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks PsychoSilence and Solitude. I will have a look at the sphere trick. But I think the motion-blur of the flames motion (not just the camera) is very important as well. Thats why I really wanted to find out a nice way to blur it. You could maybe use particles driven by the fume fx, but I doubt it will look good, and it is not very accurate. Another solution would be to do it in a motion capture program, or a program to interpolate between frames. I think it should be possible in Twixtor. I use combustion, and a little AE. I guess I could do the rough camera-blur for my fume, but for this time I will have to wait for a newer version. Some day it might be possible to blur fume like a normal object.

And thanks depleteD :)

Lasse

Lassjus
11-25-2007, 11:49 PM
It has been very quiet here lately. I would like to show a new explosion I've made. I was quite happy with the motion of this one. Think it has the right speed and a nice curly motion. I'm still working on it and adding elements. Today I added some burning pieces, but did not get the time to render it out. I will also add a burst of light smoke around the explosion. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzWSWcvlUIU

Lasse

PsychoSilence
11-26-2007, 12:11 AM
the blur guys are pretty busy atm ;) they gonna come back for sure!

i like it, along with ur window explosion :) can u post any settings? i still find realistic small flames (not like those high rising tongue-ish ones) and explosions the hardest to recreate in cg...

JohnnyRandom
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Sweet Lasse:) nice movement. Maybe just me but shadow seems a little dark for a lit fireball. I.E. at around the middle of the seq. it is fully a fireball and should illumintate at least some of the shadow.

nitrocom
11-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Thats very good mate!

But there is a clear artifact with shadow, maybe density is too high,

I've got quesitons, first what is the particle or fumeFX setup

Second, what about simulation time?

Well done again, keep it coming!

Lassjus
11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Good to hear that you like it. I know the explosion is emitting too much shadow, but that is because the emitter is emitting smoke as well, not like fuel creates smoke. So the explosion is full of smoke from the beginning. Or did you mean that it did not light up the ground, cause If i added a light to it, the shadows would become less dense. I don't know if that was making any sense. I did not use particles, but a simple emitter. It is simply emitting for a short time, with some turbulense to mess it up. I think it took me about 2 hours to sim, considering my extremely slow computer.

nitrocom
11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Hmm good to hear 2 hours on slow machine :)

I was trying something similar and it took 1 hour just for 3 frames!!! Something was wrong I guess...

nitrocom
11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Hmm good to hear 2 hours on slow machine :)

I was trying something similar and it took 1 hour just for 3 frames!!! Something was wrong I guess...

Lassjus
11-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Hehe. Sounds like something is wrong ;) You should not really have to do it very high res.

nitrocom
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Sorry for double post!

Lassjus
11-27-2007, 07:45 PM
I made a new update of the explosion. Added some chunks, some burning chunks, and some more smoke. Hope you like this one as well. Critics and opinions are welcome. I'll try to match it onto a live footage, to see if I can make it look like a real one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaG24xMQDYQ

Lasse

SoLiTuDe
11-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Great work, Lassjus... can't wait to see it on some footage. :thumbsup:

Lassjus
11-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks man. I'll try to do it as soon as I have the time to :)

PsychoSilence
11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
even bigger hten the first version, still curious about the settings ;) :eek:

JohnnyRandom
11-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Nice, better angle too, the flying debris is a sweet touch.

even bigger hten the first version, still curious about the settings ;) :eek:Mmmmnn trade secrets :D

PsychoSilence
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Mmmmnn trade secrets :D

i guess i trade enough secrets in the pflow thread ;) :D :lightbulb

Lassjus
11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Sorry, have been at school all day, not possible to post reply. I guess I can post some of the settings I'm using. They are more or less the same in all of the explosions. Enjoy, and hope this may help you. :) Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/Lassjus/Settings-1.jpg

Lassjus

PsychoSilence
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
thank you very much, bro! iīm always curious how others approch a problem...

JohnnyRandom
11-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks Lasse. I like your fire gradient;)

One question, what is the scene scale, I noticed your emitter object icon is 164. How big is the container/spacing.

Lassjus
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi. It's not set very high. The size is 253x227x249. I think that should be enough give you some nice results. Nice to hear you like it. :)

nitrocom
11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
bow down !!! Thats very good explosion! I'm looking at settings right now...

Keep it coming dude!

Lassjus
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks. Hope they are helpful. :)

entrancea
12-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Hey guys,
I was seeing the Krakatoa WIP page in Boboland and saw a video down at the end of the page where there was a video of Krakatoa + FumeFX......any one knows how that could be done?

And nice explosion Lassjus...looks hot....

Regards,
Entrancea

SoLiTuDe
12-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Entrancea: Use the pflow Fumefx Follow operator (having exported velocity information with your fume cache), then use krakatoa to multiply particles and render

entrancea
12-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks Ian....

Let me jot down what I understand....

1)Add a Fume Follow in the event...
2)Do the Fume sim....
3)And then render with krakatoa...

Thats it right...

Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
12-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Hey guys.....got Particles to follow Fume Sims....Now my next question would be...Is there any way to map Fumes Shader into Krakatoa to get that fire....Or how can I shade my smokes in Krakatoa now?

PS:-We should open a post regarding Fume and Krakatoa combined....:D

Regards,
Entrancea

jigu
12-03-2007, 08:41 AM
@ entrancea : you can try my tutorial about shading fire using krakatoa and combustion. Here is the low quality

youtube links :

Part1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Endoqt8X5x4)

Part2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjB5bvbXFZY&feature=related)

entrancea
12-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks Jigu....I'll take a look into it.....But still I was wondering how to get the kind of effect that was in Bobo's website.....If anyone has seen it,you'll know...here is the link to frantic films...you can see the Fume+Krakatoa at the bottom of the page

http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/work_in_progress_gallery.php

That shader looks almost like that of the Fumes......

Regards,
Entrancea

jigu
12-03-2007, 09:52 AM
yeah that almost looks like it was done in compositing. but if you want to achive such effects with krakatoa within max one thing you can do is using multiple lights with different color liting the different area of fire.(i.e. full intense white yellow lights at the base of fire and some less intense orange lights which will lit up upper part of fire..)

entrancea
12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah true.....hmmm.......now I have to try and see which effect looks right!:hmm:

Also....I was trying gradient ramp with Pflow and Krakatoa but Krakatoa didn't seem to take in the Gradient ramp colours...that would have been a nice way to do the shader too.....Do I need to add any mapping for using this material?

Regards,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey guys,
I was seeing the Krakatoa WIP page in Boboland and saw a video down at the end of the page where there was a video of Krakatoa + FumeFX......any one knows how that could be done?

And nice explosion Lassjus...looks hot....

Regards,
Entrancea

Nope, had not seen it, thanks for pointing it out :)

That is pretty sweet, unbelievable difference using the same res/sim data!

SoLiTuDe
12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Little info on the Fire: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4373889&postcount=135

PsychoSilence
12-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Sorry, have been at school all day, not possible to post reply. I guess I can post some of the settings I'm using. They are more or less the same in all of the explosions. Enjoy, and hope this may help you. :) Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/Lassjus/Settings-1.jpg

Lassjus

played with your settings...would be nice to see the animation curve from the obj.src settings in a trackview...i suppose your units are set to "generic" and "inches"?

since i got significantly different results :(

kind regards,
anselm

feldy
12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
and i bet your useing what the metric system what you dont like generic whats wrong with you; :) lol cheers dude what have you been up to out across the big old sea dude.

PsychoSilence
12-05-2007, 12:44 AM
hy jeremy! :)
doing good...i have one week of holiday/spare time i can play with explosions and such stuff and test rayfire in depth. As usual for a european/german i use centimeters as my untits and generic units as display units ;)...well and then i head to frankfurt on sunday for my next assignment being back on track in the german CG industry...few good oportunities but all not as delicious as US jobs ;)
hope yourīre doing good too! have you been at blurīs frightning friday lately?

entrancea
12-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Johnny:-:D Yeah....thats an uncanny resemblance to the original fume....But anyway...Have to do it with material editor then and compose it and tweak it......

Ian:-Nice topic.Thanks to Mark for showing this process....Hows your work going dude?

Reagards,
Entrancea

feldy
12-05-2007, 01:50 AM
nah dude i havent been back to blur yet. me and ian did go for sushi finally though good stuff. its awalys good to get a week off. helps with the stress. frankfurt huh can you talk studios yet or everyting under nda?

PsychoSilence
12-05-2007, 02:14 AM
nah dude i havent been back to blur yet. me and ian did go for sushi finally though good stuff. its awalys good to get a week off. helps with the stress. frankfurt huh can you talk studios yet or everyting under nda?

ESPECIALLY in germany ANYTHING is under bad ass NDA ;) but itīs an assignment at "ACHT" ( http://www.acht-frankfurt.de ) which is the old "Das Werk"...car stuff for a german manufacturer ;) so in a nutshell iīm back being a job nomad, salary-hooker :D...since iīm back in germany i coveres stuttgart, munich, hannover and from sunday on frankfurt...

feldy
12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
well have fun and drink one for me dude cheers-- Jeremy

PsychoSilence
12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
just started drinking jaeger :D
gotta do fire in a house for a music video...still two nightshifts ahead :( :beer:

amckay
12-07-2007, 05:17 AM
hey guys, I'm about to release volume 1 of Fume FX training DVD through turbosquid later this month, so I thought I'd briefly mention it.

I'll post more info on it soon, I'm planning to release 4 in total. 2 on pyro, and 1 advanced one on scripting, comping and breaking things up etc.

I've also written a bunch of cool fume fx scripts/tools which I'll release soon. I've just been ducking for cover the last 6 months working on a big vamp film and killing myself in the process, but I wrap in a week so all the stuff I've built (whole films FX are basically all huge sequences of vampires burning) I'll clean up and throw on the web once its done.

I just had a look through the forum, looks like everyone's been busy with posts etc. awesome resource!

entrancea
12-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Allan......
:thumbsup: Great to hear from you mate.....yeah am looking forward to the film...and thanks a lot for the fume tutorials in advance....

Reagrds,
Entrancea

grury
12-07-2007, 07:21 AM
hey guys, I'm about to release volume 1 of Fume FX training DVD through turbosquid later this month, so I thought I'd briefly mention it.

I'll post more info on it soon, I'm planning to release 4 in total. 2 on pyro, and 1 advanced one on scripting, comping and breaking things up etc.

I've also written a bunch of cool fume fx scripts/tools which I'll release soon. I've just been ducking for cover the last 6 months working on a big vamp film and killing myself in the process, but I wrap in a week so all the stuff I've built (whole films FX are basically all huge sequences of vampires burning) I'll clean up and throw on the web once its done.

I just had a look through the forum, looks like everyone's been busy with posts etc. awesome resource!

:bounce:
Awesome Allan! Thanks a lot mate.
Too bad it wont be out in time to include it on my letter to Santa.

Cant wait.

Glacierise
12-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Great, Allan! Just when I was going into FFX.

I have a question guys, that I don't see asked here. How can I make just some events in a pflow, not the entire flow, be sources in FFX?

entrancea
12-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Maybe if you apply Fume Follow in any one of the events?

grury
12-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Great, Allan! Just when I was going into FFX.

I have a question guys, that I don't see asked here. How can I make just some events in a pflow, not the entire flow, be sources in FFX?

U can use the Afterburn Pflow Operator as your emiter in Fumefx.

entrancea
12-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey Grury,
How can I use the afterburn PFlow operator in conjunction with Fume?:)

grury
12-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Stick the Afterburn Op on the event(s) you want to sim, then you use a Fume Particle Src and instead of selecting the whole PFlow, you can pick just PFlow-ABurn and sim only those events where u placed it.

entrancea
12-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh...Cool....

Glacierise
12-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow, that's genius :D It works!

Glacierise
12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Guys! Check this out!

http://planktoninvasion.com/Pages/teaser2.html

I'm speechless :D

grury
12-07-2007, 03:03 PM
http://grury.cgsociety.org/gallery/570314/

Been working on a new intro for my reel. The video compression came out pretty sh##, will upload a higher res to my site soon.

Lemme know wot yous think.

Cheers

JohnnyRandom
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
@ Allan
Sold *john feverishly hits browser refresh @ TS for the next month*

Glacierise, LOL great spot, thanks for the morning laugh:)

Nice balls Carlos:D I dig on how they ignite the tag;)
Hey, cool trick with the aburn pflow op! Who would have thunk it?

PsychoSilence
12-08-2007, 12:06 AM
http://grury.cgsociety.org/gallery/570314/

Been working on a new intro for my reel. The video compression came out pretty sh##, will upload a higher res to my site soon.

Lemme know wot yous think.

Cheers

any hints on how it was done?

grury
12-08-2007, 07:40 AM
It was actually a rather simple setup.
First did a Reactor sim, with the balls, then created a PFlow where the particles stick to the ground or letters on collision or if they hit the walls or each other there was some spawning.
Then used PFlow as emiter in FumeFx, pretty intense simulation, around 20 hours for 250 frames on a 64 bit, 8 core with 8 Gb RAM. Rendering was around 1 hour per frame towards the last frames.

Cheers

nitrocom
12-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Wohoo! Is there any conversation tool to realize it on dual core 2.4 2gb ram ??? :)

Btw, I like the animation very much ! But may be, its little bit too much for an reel intro, just my opinion !

grury
12-08-2007, 08:51 AM
I guess you could break down the setup and sim one ball at the time, I did that on a old project http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbxizbc0bQ&feature=related , on the logo on fire pull out zoom. I broke down the logo into some 20 chunks and simulated one at the time..took one machine around 3 weeks :)

grury
12-08-2007, 10:07 AM
http://www.grury.me.uk/fire_balls_new.mov

A quicktime higher res version.

PsychoSilence
12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
i do most of my lately fume sims on my notebook: 2x2GHz, 2GB RAM... :(

entrancea
12-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Hey guys,
Could someone explain to me a little about how light scattering works in the illumination tab in FuemFX?

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

Luxorian
12-09-2007, 10:39 AM
I guess you could break down the setup and sim one ball at the time, I did that on a old project http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbxizbc0bQ&feature=related , on the logo on fire pull out zoom. I broke down the logo into some 20 chunks and simulated one at the time..took one machine around 3 weeks :)

Whoa, nice! You participated in creating that vid? I was amazed when I first saw it, and I still am. That whole project must have taken a very long time.

And true, I also break down big simulations into smaller parts and then fuse them together in Combustion. Doesn't save you that much time, but it's easier to control and you can take breaks between the simulations. :)

grury
12-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Kiitos!

It was actually a very short project, fom shooting to delivery, I guess about 2 months, 3 people on 3d and about 5 compositors, while working on other projects too.
Working now on the Lordi feature film, and thats even tighter..less than 3 months for 250 fx shots.

Luxorian
12-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Oh okay, it just seem to take a lot of work to achieve all those explosions and bursts of fire. Were you using FumeFX or some other plugin? Also do you know how the scene with the boulders of ice shooting up from beneath was created? :) And good luck with the feature film!

nitrocom
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Which movie, what is feature film, what hack goin on? :) Am I missing something? :)

BTW, about light scattering, what do you want to know dude?

nitrocom
12-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Anddd one more thing! I 've just watched the movie Poseidon and I have to admit I'm impressed with fluid simulation but one thing in my mind:

Let's say in the tunnel explosion, the explosion effect is made by VFX artist or is it real shot? And if it is VFX production, what kind an engine they were using to create it? They are unbelievibly realistic! Anyone got opinion?

C ya guys...

grury
12-09-2007, 10:50 PM
The only fire created with FumeFx was the shots with the Lordi logo on fire. All the other explosions were live action, either done during the shooting in Lapland or some extra stuff using stock footage. The Ice explosions were a mixture of huge blocks of polyethylene blown up and some 3d blocks when they dropping down.

Cheers

Ps: nitrocom (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?find=lastposter&f=183) the film is called Dark Floors, a horror movie.

amckay
12-10-2007, 06:41 AM
yeah a lot of the demo stuff I'm doing like the fume masterclass I did at siggraph this year is all on my core2 duo 2gb ram laptop. It gets the job done, however I probably wouldn't recommend it for production.

My studio's running quad core machines with 4gb or ram right now. Intel cpu's (intel are apparently faster according to Kresimir). 4gb of ram isn't always enough for fine containers so at times I have had to break sims into multiple seperate sims etc.

I wrote a few neat tools which I'll be putting up for fume fx soon. I put some up on my site (allanmckay.com) however I haven't really had a chance to properly launch and document anything yet (I'm on the last week of a big ass film) but once I wrap I'll be throwing a lot of cool stuff up. I've written a few neat tools for working with fume, such as creating a bounding box to encapsulate the entire characters animation he moves around in etc. this helps with saving space in your containers.

so who's done some cool fume fx sims? anyone wanna throw up some links? I've totally lost track of this thread the last few months

Luxorian
12-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Hehe, oh, I almost forgot that it actually is possible to create fire without 3D-software :D Sounds like the pyrotechnicans still have work then. Then I understand why it didn't take that much time making the video. I can't imagine how long it would have taken if all the explosions and fire effects were rendered and simulated separately. But I still have to agree that I thought the only way to create the boulders of ice, was to animate them in 3D, they seemed so heavy. That also explains how the small particles of snow seemed so real ;) Good to see that some things still are real. Sometimes it feels like everything is CG.

nitrocom
12-10-2007, 10:52 AM
4gb of ram isn't always enough for fine containers so at times I have had to break sims into multiple seperate sims etc.

Well, whats breaking sims into seperate sims? I dont have any clue about this!

grury
12-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, whats breaking sims into seperate sims? I dont have any clue about this!

As in breaking up your simulation into smaller chunks. For exemple if u were to sim a fire place, u could use all the wood logs as emiters and one big Fume grid, or u could use each separate log with a smaller Fume grid, then sim em all separatly and comp the all scene together..Guess not ideal, but many times theres no other way around it.

Bercon
12-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Since I finally got a new computer with 4gb ram I though I'd play around with FumeFX so here you go:

Started as a poor Ghost Rider rippoff but it was too terrible with proper bone mat: http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~jylilamm/graphics/BurningSkull.mov
Still from earlier states: http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~jylilamm/graphics/GhostRiderRipoff_02.jpg

Lighting with fR GI: http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~jylilamm/graphics/SwirlingBalls.mov

Jnkk
12-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi
I dont know if its the right spot to post this but anyway.
I've got this smalls artifacts when i render a Fireball with FumeFx 1.0 in 3ds max 2008 64.
I followed this tutorial (http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/fumefx/fumefx01.asp) correctly. However i get small dots on everyframe and its getting worst when i try to render out a video (they're actually moving!!!)

Here is the final results after applying simulation within fumefx and rendered it with Default scanline renderer
http://i81.imagethrust.com/i/982206/2ndfiretest.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com)

Here my rig
Q6600
Evga Nforce680i Sli Motherboard
nvidia 8800gtx
4g ram corsair twinx
Vista 64 premium

Does somebody know how to get rid of those ???
THANK you for your help

byousif
12-11-2007, 01:17 AM
hello! I think you have fuel being rendered. make sure under 'rendering' its unchecked. hope that helps.

SoLiTuDe
12-11-2007, 01:21 AM
It's actually a problem with max2008. You can disable multithreading (when you render) as a temporary workaround. I don't think they've released a fix yet, but they know the cause of the problem. You could try emailing them and asking. :)

Jnkk
12-11-2007, 02:02 AM
hello! I think you have fuel being rendered. make sure under 'rendering' its unchecked. hope that helps.

Nope i havent checked it.
Funny thing is when i use Vray as the main renderer instead of Default scanline , no more artifacts. But Rendering time increases.
Dunno probably a bug with max 2008.
I guess i'll stick with Vray or maybe i'll try FINALRENDER. Do you know wich takes less time when rendering?

Thank your for your replies

amckay
12-11-2007, 06:32 AM
nitrocom - like if you have a little vampire girls arm waving in front of the camera that has to catch on fire, cut the mesh into two and sim the hand as one sim and then arm as another, then render both of them with the same complete hand/arm holdout geometry

Spoof
12-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi to all. I'm new in the forum (in FumeFX too) so i have a question, i'm pretty sure, that it has been discussed, but i didn't find anything. In the preferences of the FumeFX there is "Swap to disk if out of ram" option, which is checked, below the Default output Path и Scratch Disk are set to HDD, where the is a lot of free Gigs. In spite of this i still get the "Memory Full, the progma needs to close" error. I have just 2gb ram, is there a solution, because i want to make more complicated scenes.
Thanks to all ...

entrancea
12-11-2007, 07:38 AM
allan.....just wanted to know....for production purposes...what grid spacing do you use for fume....and also is there any way to distribute one sim in various machines using network sim........... so that one sim would go on in different machines and save the fume data in one common place....something similar to the backburner....where the renders get evenly distributed through out the network....that would certainly speed things up alot.....

Thanks,
Entrancea

amckay
12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately you cant network sim, because only one machine could caculate at a time to work out where it needs to go next before the next one could pick it up.
I actually spent a lot of time with the guys at next limit trying to work out how to accomplish this with real flow but its pretty impossible, there'd be hackable ways to do it for water etc. hypathatically however definitely not for fire.

in regards to voxel sizes, its hard to say, but usually nothing higher than 260 in any one axis. otherwise your sims are likely to crap out

I've written some cool tools to make the most out of your fume fx sims, I'll release them soon. I'm on the 3rd last day of day breakers - so once this film wraps I'll sit down and finalize my scripts and release them but they definitely help with fume fx productions etc.

entrancea
12-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Awww....:sad: .....too bad.....can't wait to see what you did with daybreakers.....One quick(dumb)question...do you use scanline for rendering fume or some other renderer......also do tell me something......both fume and realflow are based on fluid simulation right....but are they similar in anyway?as in whether realflow can do fire sims like fume with gas particles?because what I have seen is that both realflow and fume takes a hell lotta time to do the sims....well I have a whole lotta questions with fume but since your training videos would be coming out shortly,sooooo.....I'll just have to wait:D ......

Thanks for all the goodies you'd be sharing with us mate...

Entrancea

PsychoSilence
12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Hy Folks,
i got a wired issue when using FumeFXFollow to drive particle motion and spawn particles from these particles. the second i connect a display node to the spawn max crashes and gives out ChannelBoolean errors. This error wasnīt reproducable on my notebook (attachment No. 3)

Same happens when i have a collision happening right under the spawn operator to give particles another motion/Forces or FindTarget after collision occurred...reproduced that error on 2 different mashines. doesnīt matter if the col.op is right under, over or just piped into the spawn.op. (attachment No. 2)

Iīm pretty desperate since i wanna use fume to drive particle motion and then wanna let them find a target to "morph" into an object.

Side note: Iīm not working on my notebook atm but on a workstation. but it seems that every plugin/toolbox i use is up to date. I could reproduce the collision error on my notebook too. even without the spawn op...just collision testing a fumeFX follow sequence with a display op after the col.test...very very basic stuff.

Any tips or suggestions welcome :(

thanks in advance,
anselm

entrancea
12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Could you attach your Max File?

JohnnyRandom
12-11-2007, 01:57 PM
PsychoSilence, I thinks its a bug...You setup is using the rate

http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1509

PsychoSilence
12-11-2007, 02:58 PM
yep, confimed as a bug... :( ill find a workaround anyhow :) dont let the buggys grind you down...the crash even occurrs whithout the spawn or any parameter in pflow animated and with all types of deflectors :(

Anselm

amckay
12-11-2007, 11:19 PM
real flow and fume fx are both fluids but completely different solvers, and so the way they work is completely different too. one is fluid dynamics whereas the other is more gasegous based, it uses wind/smoke/fire etc. to push itself around so requires a container to know how much of the world to process (even if your grids are adaptive).

yep I use scanline, however vray is technically faster because you can restrict the samples per bucket. Final Render is also fast. Mental Ray isn't supported.

Current project is all houdini except for the fire, so there's no major advantages in using fancier renderers and I didnt want to buy the render licenses.

entrancea
12-12-2007, 04:16 AM
Yeah...I see what you mean:)

In Day breakers....did you use Max for all your FX shots or Houdini too?

PsychoSilence
12-12-2007, 10:12 AM
played with your settings...would be nice to see the animation curve from the obj.src settings in a trackview...i suppose your units are set to "generic" and "inches"?

since i got significantly different results :(

kind regards,
anselm

any notes on the scalings and animation curves?

kind regards,
anselm

PsychoSilence
12-12-2007, 10:18 AM
yep, confimed as a bug... :( ill find a workaround anyhow :) dont let the buggys grind you down...the crash even occurrs whithout the spawn or any parameter in pflow animated and with all types of deflectors :(

Anselm

quoting myself for we know now what causes the crash in pflow: itīs definitely a bug in the fume fx follow operator! just wanted to let u know...fume fx follow and collision is a NO-NO for now... :(

kindest regards,
anselm

jimmy4d
12-12-2007, 12:06 PM
quoting myself for we know now what causes the crash in pflow: itīs definitely a bug in the fume fx follow operator! just wanted to let u know...fume fx follow and collision is a NO-NO for now... :(

kindest regards,
anselm

man o man I was going crazy with this. thank you, thank you. I have been watching this thread for some time now, yet to post my own ffx stuff do to other comiments. Just want to say thanks too you all for sharing.

JohnnyRandom
12-12-2007, 04:53 PM

kindest regards,
anselm

Good to know, thanks:)

I have been playing with grury's trick, using the a-burn operator in each event you want to fume, works pretty well so far. I'm working on a fountian w/ fume and the collisions aren't crashing max soo...maybe worth a try.

PsychoSilence
12-12-2007, 05:16 PM
maybe i should try that trick with the AB...but fu*k, no AB installed on the workstation :( thereīs always a hidden bummer :D so i gotta put a pflowAB in all events since i wanna drive the entire flow by fume? gonna try that on my notebook...

::::::::::

Diff. issue:

I try to achieve a wind tunnel pretty similar to joescarrīs (http://www.3dplanet.de/cgfluids/viewtopic.php?t=556&highlight=wind+tunnel)approach but my car/object is driving in real world environment. the simple sources are linked close to the car in the front since i dont want fume to happen much foreward or in front of the car but at itīs very position. atm the fume getīs pushed along the way by the car set to col object obviously...should i increase the directional velocity dramaticly so the smoke flies faster backwards then teh car moves? any ideas are welcome :)

anselm

SoLiTuDe
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
maybe i should try that trick with the AB...but fu*k, no AB installed on the workstation :( thereīs always a hidden bummer :D so i gotta put a pflowAB in all events since i wanna drive the entire flow by fume? gonna try that on my notebook...

::::::::::

Diff. issue:

I try to achieve a wind tunnel pretty similar to joescarrīs (http://www.3dplanet.de/cgfluids/viewtopic.php?t=556&highlight=wind+tunnel)approach but my car/object is driving in real world environment. the simple sources are linked close to the car in the front since i dont want fume to happen much foreward or in front of the car but at itīs very position. atm the fume getīs pushed along the way by the car set to col object obviously...should i increase the directional velocity dramaticly so the smoke flies faster backwards then teh car moves? any ideas are welcome :)

anselm

If you wanna do the whole flow as a fume particle src, then that's totally fine... but you'll need the pf-ab operator to have separate events be separate particle sources.

For the car thing... not sure what you mean... :D Hook it up with a screenshot or some more details on the setup.

PsychoSilence
12-12-2007, 06:49 PM
hereīs my issue...prolly gonna extract certain parts of the car emitting fume...ZERO vorticity, ZERO turbulence and 0,01 advection stride or so...so i get as less distraction of each trial as possible...dunno...tomm is another day...this one sucked pretty much :D

oh yeah i know the pflowAB trick for certain event-fume only...but i thought it fixes my collision crash :D was already wondering...

greeeeets to venice brothers! i should marry a nice girl and get US residentship so i could join the us work force...

SoLiTuDe
12-12-2007, 06:55 PM
...I had just hit reply again with new stuff and waited like 5 minutes... then just closed the stupid window... What I would try: place your sources where you want them... then also add temperature and then use the gravity vector to make "up" towards the back of the car, then increase bouyancy for the extra speed

PsychoSilence
12-12-2007, 07:08 PM
had to edit post too :( for god sake im glad i copied my post before hitting any buttons :D got that message that the server is busy...

gonna try gravity vector...didnīt get the desired results yet when i played with it earlier this week and dropped the idea...but i might reanimate it :) btw is it from any importance on which position it is in the objects tab in the fume mindow?

thanks ian! *drinking a beer at work for ian*

SoLiTuDe
12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
"s it from any importance on which position it is in the objects tab in the fume mindow?"

as far as I know it doesn't make a difference...

PsychoSilence
12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
thatīs what thought too. just curious :)

sometimes for some reason it doesnīt work properly when u add the gravity vector...gonna read the help at home!

patrickhennessey
12-13-2007, 04:41 AM
I am trying to use fumefx max 9 32 to create a short student animation/composite. I was following the campfire tutorial and towards the end of the deal, ffx caused max9 to crash. Now, I cannot get ffx to simulate or preview or anything using the file for the campfire or even an entirely new file setup from scratch. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling fume, shutting down pc and blah blah.

Tere are about 30 frames (.fxd format) in the output folder. Is there anything I can do with these? Composite in combustion or something?

Any idea on what the problem could be with the program constantly crashing. I can edit all settings, add object sources and all that good stuff, but as soon as I hit either preview or simulate, bammo! I get "application error" and ok to close.

Thanks a lot!!

Luxorian
12-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Does anyone know how I can create a scene where a match hits the ground and ignites fuel that is already on the ground. I mean can you create fuel on for an example a plane, and then create a point with a high temperature, that ignites the plane and creates a wave of fire spreading over it. I hope you get the idea :D

grury
12-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Does anyone know how I can create a scene where a match hits the ground and ignites fuel that is already on the ground. I mean can you create fuel on for an example a plane, and then create a point with a high temperature, that ignites the plane and creates a wave of fire spreading over it. I hope you get the idea :D

I would suggest creating that setup in PFlow, and then use the particles as your FumeFx emiter.
U can use an animated greyscale map, for exemple, to fake the spread of the fire and use that as Particle emiter on the floor.

Hope it made any sense. :shrug:

PsychoSilence
12-13-2007, 08:10 AM
BANDU did such a sim some time ago:
http://www.b3d.de/ffx/burningfuel_01t.mov

www.b3d.de (http://www.b3d.de)

maybe he can explain it...iīd say a simple source set as box that emits fuel only. then another simple source that hits it after some time to ignite it.

JohnnyRandom
12-13-2007, 04:37 PM
hereīs my issue...prolly gonna extract certain parts of the car emitting fume...ZERO vorticity, ZERO turbulence and 0,01 advection stride or so...so i get as less distraction of each trial as possible...dunno...tomm is another day...this one sucked pretty much :D

oh yeah i know the pflowAB trick for certain event-fume only...but i thought it fixes my collision crash :D was already wondering...

greeeeets to venice brothers! i should marry a nice girl and get US residentship so i could join the us work force...

Hey PsychoDude,

Add a wind to your setup. This will give the intial emission some boost. Then place the gravity vector behind the car and low to the ground. Boost the gravity settings in the sim tab, and that should at least get you started.

Here's a pretty quick setup to illustrate, stills need much tweaking but...
http://www.4rand.com/TEST/WindTunnel_Thumb.png (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/WindTunnel.png)

nitrocom
12-13-2007, 07:23 PM
to Luxorian,

well as grury says, pf can be very handy to use on those kind of situtation, but in my opinion creating two different ffx setup would be better if your scene is gonne be viewed from far angle (I mean if its gonna be rough :) ) It can be more faster...

to patrickhennessey,

creating the scene is your only solution, if it is down, it is gonna be always down! You can just create another scene and use your ffx files as a source in your new scene...

PsychoSilence
12-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Hey PsychoDude,

Add a wind to your setup. This will give the intial emission some boost. Then place the gravity vector behind the car and low to the ground. Boost the gravity settings in the sim tab, and that should at least get you started.

Here's a pretty quick setup to illustrate, stills need much tweaking but...
http://www.4rand.com/TEST/WindTunnel_Thumb.png (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/WindTunnel.png)

Hey Johnny!
Thank you and a deep bow for ur dedication in this thread and especially my daily lilī problems :) in the mean time i tweaked my wind tunnel a lil based on your first wind tunnel and some help from the thread over here and at CGFluids. ill post what i came up with ina few...

kind regards,
anselm

entrancea
12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey Guys,

I was doing a Fume Sim and want my flame to illuminate my smoke.I added some omni Lights and turned the scatter on in FFX but still can't seem to get the illuminating effect.The still frame of the render is below..

Thanks and Regards,
Entancea

PS:-Also one more thing is that my Max crashes after simming for a few frames....My grids have a spacing of 225X256X602.....My config is Core2Duo 2.2Ghz and 2 gb Ram with a Quadro....

Luxorian
12-14-2007, 01:01 PM
I tried the Pflow. Created a plane with a Radial Gradient Ramp map spreading out. Assigned the Pflow Position Object to the plane and chose Greyscale. Then I hid the plane from render. I then assigned a Particle Source. Everything good this far, but how many particles should I use? It turns out pretty rough even with 15K particles. My grid scale is anout 150x150x40. I tried turning down the size of the particles in FumeFX but then they just disappear. Argh :D

Then I tried creating the wave with only FumeFX. One box emitter that emits only fuel and 0 temperature. Then another sphere emitter with both fuel and high temperature. Whatever I do they just simply won't ignite each other. :-/

EDIT: spelling, damn.

JohnnyRandom
12-14-2007, 06:07 PM
No worries, PsychoSilence, we all learn together, least I could do for all the great stuff you have shared:D Great link (http://www.projekt0.net/index2.html) in the pflow thread, that stuff is amazing!

entrancea, try getting rid of the omni's (just so you can see how the m.scattering is effecting the scene)

add some background planes, to see the effect on other objects.

multiple scattering on, maybe boost the Fire/smoke strength.

Your grid size "225X256X602" is ok but what is the spacing set too? My guess is less than 1 maybe something like .5, you may need to raise it with only 2 gig of ram, by the looks of the complexity of the smoke/fire you are emitting.

SoLiTuDe
12-14-2007, 06:39 PM
If 225X256X602 is actually the spacing / amount of voxel there's no way you'll be able to sim that on a 2 gig machine... either get more ram or bring down the spacing. :)

JohnnyRandom
12-14-2007, 06:51 PM
My bad, I misunderstood, I thought those were the container dimensions:blush:

SoLiTuDe
12-14-2007, 06:59 PM
"Add a wind to your setup. This will give the intial emission some boost. Then place the gravity vector behind the car and low to the ground. Boost the gravity settings in the sim tab, and that should at least get you started."

Haha... that's cool... mine was the opposite... turn up the temp and use bouyancy.... (flip the grav vector around) comes out to pretty much the same effect... :)

JohnnyRandom
12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
No kidding, I'll give that a shot:)

You should see what a vortex does:D Witha a stompn' rig you build a hell of sweet tornado!

Had an old clip can't find it, rendering a new one...going for a quickie, so there's not a ton of detail but it does some cool sh!t with the smoke or flames for that matter...I'll up it when its done...

Fume+Vortex (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/FFX_Vortex.mov) quicktime 3.5mb

entrancea
12-15-2007, 04:03 AM
Boys.....Guys....Gents:D .....Thanks for all those tips.....Damn:argh: ..ur right I need to increase Ram.....

Johnny: I am deleting all the omni's and placing a plane on the background to see what I get?But thing is that the scene for which I am doing this will have a Well at the bottom of the scene from which the flames will be coming out....And thats not all....There'll be dust and water as well and they all would be interating with each other like flame and water will create smoke....dust and water will create mud....dust and fire would create burning dust......Sooo...you see where I am going with this:eek:
That vortex looks really sweet....lots a stuff could be done with that....what did you use?Just a source object which is the bowl in ur scene and a Vortex?

Ian: Dude.Yeah my grid spacing is 225X256X602....:sad: .....So what kinda config would you suggest me to use if I were to use this kinda spacing for my grid?

By the way I'll be putting up my website soon...so will post my address once its ready....

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

grury
12-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey PsychoDude,

Add a wind to your setup. This will give the intial emission some boost. Then place the gravity vector behind the car and low to the ground.

Does it actually matter where u place the Grav Vector? I was under the impression that it just affects the direction of the sim...or am I wrong?

grury
12-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Theres something that been bugging me for a while...when using Max Space Warps withing the Fume sim, they dont seem to quite work in the same way as for example with Particles, at least not in terms of strenght. I do u guys approach this? Trial n error or is there a rule of thomb?

Cheers

PsychoSilence
12-15-2007, 01:54 PM
hy guys thanks for all ur dedicated help. iīm currently in R&D for a look that will mark a car commercialīs overall look and feel. colorful explosions/creations is a rough topic. if u want have a look at some previews...

http://rapidshare.com/files/76754703/audi_wind-tunnel-trials.mov.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/76755028/chaotic-trial-arrows.avi.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/76762414/ghosttrials.avi.html

kind regards,
anselm

nitrocom
12-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I always walk away from using any spacewarp with FumeFX! It's a general situtation that max has always problems with extensions!

I cant give any exact answer to your question but as i mentioned yes there are some possible problems about FumeFX and spacewarps integration, I think :)!

JohnnyRandom
12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Grury, you are correct, I have only played with it a few times, just did a quick test, it is directional only, gravity has positive response (ie follows the arrow) and bouyancy has a negative, I wish it did have a switch to control influence of placement. Seems it should.

As for the spacewarps fume vs. particles, the scale factor is not the same. When I was playing with the vortex I set it up with a pflow to get a guesstimate of how the particles would travel, but the fume sim was quite slower/less reactive, same with wind, the is strictly a slightly educated guess but seems to be about 10x less for fume... meaning a setting of 1 strength with pflow would need about a strength of 10 with fume.

entrencea, just adding the bg objects for proof of concept, just to check the effect. Sounds like you've got a big job ahead of you:) Should be interesting to see. Physosilence posted someone demo reel a while back that had some Fume + Glu3d interactivity near the end (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI) I would curious to know how it was achieved:)

Not really sure there are any "problems" with spacewarps and fume, I think that it is only a matter of scale. I could be wrong, I just haven't run into any issues with it, other than scale factor. Will have to look into it deeper...

Clips looking pretty cool. Just IMO smaller streams on the first clip would look sweet.
Second one is tight:)
Is that Ghostrails as in Bytegeist Ghost Trails? Just gave me an interesting idea...

Are these Fume driven?

jger
12-15-2007, 06:51 PM
There is no interactivity between FumeFX and the Glu3D object. Actually ffx was complaining about the deforming mesh of the Glu-water (I canīt recall the exact error message but it was something about inconsistent mesh). To shut down the fire when the water hits the sphere ffx uses just an animated gradient (as intensity source map of the fuel) running from top to bottom on the sphere. Using the wetmaps Glu3d creates would have been another option though that would have been overkill for something thatīs not noticable.

grury
12-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Cheers Johnny.

Yeah all the tests I did with Fume n Space Warps I multiplied by 10 to get the results I was looking for..I just thought was pretty weird, as they did not mention anything on the FumeFx help file.

Luxorian
12-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I made a burnout with fume, how can I get it to flow a lot slower? And yeah I know I forgot to turn up the background color.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPrus_p3K0

JohnnyRandom
12-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the explination Joerg, that is some very nice work you have done:)

Grury a dropped a thread in at the afterworks forum about the scale thing, we'll see what they say. Maybe have a number or something to base it off would be great...

Luxorian, you can adjust the ambient color to anything but black in the render tab to kind of fake illumintation of the smoke(it won't cost you any rendertime)
You can adjust the time scale in the simulation tab, 1="realtime" 0.01="almost stopped", so you would have "guess" and adjust your animation accordingly. Seems to be a weak point of Fume right now:(

Winnie-Pooh
12-16-2007, 01:04 PM
my fume test :buttrock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDITPlJ7wXM

Luxorian
12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Luxorian, you can adjust the ambient color to anything but black in the render tab to kind of fake illumintation of the smoke(it won't cost you any rendertime)
You can adjust the time scale in the simulation tab, 1="realtime" 0.01="almost stopped", so you would have "guess" and adjust your animation accordingly. Seems to be a weak point of Fume right now:(

Ok, I improved the simulation a little. I made the time slow down as it progress, also brightened the ambient color. Oh and I made a scene to fit the simulation too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3kOZjBFv8

amckay
12-17-2007, 01:37 AM
-In Day breakers....did you use Max for all your FX shots or Houdini too? -

Sorry was busy getting plastered over the weekend after wrapping on the film. Yeah I didnt use much houdini, I got stuck in max landfor most of the film. I supervized a big sequence of the film and build and rolled out the fire pipelines. as well as writing a lot of the tools for the show as well as to integrate max and houdini together (or at least on the max side).

PsychoSilence
12-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Grury, you are correct, I have only played with it a few times, just did a quick test, it is directional only, gravity has positive response (ie follows the arrow) and bouyancy has a negative, I wish it did have a switch to control influence of placement. Seems it should.

As for the spacewarps fume vs. particles, the scale factor is not the same. When I was playing with the vortex I set it up with a pflow to get a guesstimate of how the particles would travel, but the fume sim was quite slower/less reactive, same with wind, the is strictly a slightly educated guess but seems to be about 10x less for fume... meaning a setting of 1 strength with pflow would need about a strength of 10 with fume.

entrencea, just adding the bg objects for proof of concept, just to check the effect. Sounds like you've got a big job ahead of you:) Should be interesting to see. Physosilence posted someone demo reel a while back that had some Fume + Glu3d interactivity near the end (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI) I would curious to know how it was achieved:)

Not really sure there are any "problems" with spacewarps and fume, I think that it is only a matter of scale. I could be wrong, I just haven't run into any issues with it, other than scale factor. Will have to look into it deeper...

Clips looking pretty cool. Just IMO smaller streams on the first clip would look sweet.
Second one is tight:)
Is that Ghostrails as in Bytegeist Ghost Trails? Just gave me an interesting idea...

Are these Fume driven?

Dear Johnny,
yes, recently bought Ghosttrials for max9. itīs 60euros only :D thanks to the weak dollar...
itīs all fume driven: just simulated velocity and piped that into pflow with fumefx follow and assigned that particle system to ghosttrials. pretty amazing results i have to say! randomly/dusty motion of arrows emitted by the wheels might look cool in a car commercial. the car was added in after the sim and is a dummy only (a free audi mesh from share-cg actually :D ) it will be a collision object in the final sim of cause.

concerning the glu/fume interaction it is possible to use wet maps as temp/fuel maps. in the demo reel it looks even easier...just an animated gradient ramp as temp/fuel map and fuel creates smoke checked...

attached a new test where i piped fumefx follow into lots of particles which i wrapped into a pwrapper then.

entrancea
12-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Psychodude....Johnny.....:D

I can get the part where if an object was on fire and the water when falls on the object turns off the flame replacing it with smoke....for that I need to use the glu3D wetmaps generated while the fluid sims happen....But...my point would be that this should work for any objects....but what if the fire and the water were to meet in mid-air?;) ...where there was no object involved?

jger
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Use the Glu3D-object as emitter or place some simple sources along the path of the water.

CeeGee
12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Some test with Fume and Vray

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5573/fireashfj6.jpg

PsychoSilence
12-18-2007, 08:01 AM
what pisses me off is that the render elements donīt work properly with the latest 1.5 final built...no wonder to me though... aura is in direct competition to fume IF they will ever finish it...

entrancea
12-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey Guys.....
This is a medium quality sim (and a small preview:D ) of what the effect I got combining Flame and Dust...So comments are appreciated....:)

http://download.yousendit.com/6C9B5913132EA03A (http://download.yousendit.com/6C9B5913132EA03A)

Thanks and Reagrds,
Entrancea

PsychoSilence
12-18-2007, 02:00 PM
looks like a lot of particle source action going on :)

entrancea
12-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah.....:D ...But like I said this is just a draft version...once the FG and the BG's are in place...they'll cover up the base so you wont be able to see where its originating from...:)

feldy
12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
to my understanding devlopment of aura is dead as in they dont have the time for it anymore that was the last i heard.

JohnnyRandom
12-18-2007, 05:35 PM
PsychoS that pwrapper looks cool, do the blobs interact when they collide with each other?

It will be nice if/when we get some render passes for shadows:)

entrencea, some cool motion, what ya got a million+ particles there:D neat shot.
IMHO the smoke looks too brown and I confused it for dust. Could look cool to add a Fume for dust and one for the fire, at least in the beginning when both sources are visible.

entrancea
12-19-2007, 12:47 AM
entrencea, some cool motion, what ya got a million+ particles there:D neat shot.
IMHO the smoke looks too brown and I confused it for dust. Could look cool to add a Fume for dust and one for the fire, at least in the beginning when both sources are visible.

Hey Dude,
Yup a Mil. Particles there courtsey to Krakatoa ofcourse:D ......I wanted the flame and dust to mix with each other but like you said the smoke is a bit strong here....so will turn that down a little....I'll add a Fume emitter at the base to create the dust with fume and see what I get:) ....

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

PsychoSilence
12-19-2007, 07:36 AM
PsychoS that pwrapper looks cool, do the blobs interact when they collide with each other?

It will be nice if/when we get some render passes for shadows:)

they do, they "blob" together when close enough to each other. i did a preview with way more particles:

hemkant
12-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Hello Friends,

I've been following the thread for some time and it has helped me alot. Thanks for that.

Here is my very first fume test.. please let me know what do you think.. am trying to improve it will post result soon..

JohnnyRandom
12-19-2007, 06:54 PM
entrencea, I meant actually add another Fume container, so you could have a different colored smoke, along with the smoke you already have.

Gotta get pwrapper...looks fun:)

PiXeL_MoNKeY
12-19-2007, 08:04 PM
aura is in direct competition to fume IF they will ever finish it...Unless something has changed AURA is DEAD, see my post here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4212908&postcount=89). I have no idea if anything else has been posted since they had their forum issues and I can no longer see any forums or posts there.

-Eric

g8ff
12-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Here's a test I'm working on for one of my mattes. Haven't gotten the smoke the way I want it yet, but figured I'd post something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNy-HIxADTY

-Geoff

PsychoSilence
12-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Unless something has changed AURA is DEAD, see my post here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4212908&postcount=89). I have no idea if anything else has been posted since they had their forum issues and I can no longer see any forums or posts there.

-Eric

thanks for the info :) so they should be fair and support vray more in terms of render elements etc. i wansīt able to render proper render elements with vray and wouldnīt recomend to use it unless a shot is impossible without fumeGI...which can be easily faked with omnis like back in the days...

@ g8ff:
looks like your turbulence scaling/voticity/advection stride is to big for the footage scale. should be more detailed represeting a smoke collums of serveral yards...just my first sight opinion though.

kind regards,
anselm

Darknon
12-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi there. I have a small fumefx problem, maybe you guys can help me.

I'm looking for at way to turn fumefx on and off... A way to make fumefx stop spawning from the object, but still keep what IS spawned.

example: flaming sword... I want a sword to slowly begin emitting flames and smoke. And at a certain frame I want it to stop emitting flames and smoke, but still keep what is allready in the air, if you know what I mean...

I can easily make this happen with the flames by animating the "fuel amount" from 100 to 0 on the "FFX Object Src01), This will make the fire stop in a very cool and realistic way... Problem is that the smoke just keeps on emitting from my object. I thought that the smoke was emitting from the fire, but that is not the case. And if I turn on "fuel creates smoke" in the simulation menu, then it will STILL emit smoke from the object, and from fuel ALSO.

Anyone knows the solution to stop everything from emitting from a certain frame, or better yet, animate it?

PsychoSilence
12-20-2007, 12:33 PM
have you tried animating everything to 0 at a certain frame?

Daniel-B
12-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Happy Birthday Fume FX. One year old, today.