PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Lassjus
08-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Yes. I did get the foo thing, and it looked really good! I'm sorry I have not yet answered, I was about to earlier this evening, but seems like there is something wrong with my email. I would like to do the fume-part of the movie. I'l send you a pm.

Lasse

Anesthaesia
08-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Can anyone tell me why Fume does not use swap space when the sim is larger than the amount of available RAM? Am I missing something? (the "Swap to Disk if Out of RAM" option is checked)

When running out of RAM, I always get a memory error and Max closes, but the help file states...

Swap to Disk if Out of RAM - It is highly recommended that you keep simulation sizes within the available RAM. If this is not possible, this option makes FumeFX swap the simulation data to disk, resulting in about a tenfold increase in simulation times.

darrennorthcott
08-08-2007, 02:17 PM
guys,

here is a test i did using particles to cover a biped with fume. would be good for use with a skin, then have the skin fade into the particles as it catches on fire though. let me know what you think.

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/biped_burn1.avi

cheers.

D

visualchaosfx
08-08-2007, 04:33 PM
guys,

here is a test i did using particles to cover a biped with fume. would be good for use with a skin, then have the skin fade into the particles as it catches on fire though. let me know what you think.

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/biped_burn1.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/biped_burn1.avi)

cheers.

D

WOW that was friggin cool. Kinda like a vampire dusting effects. Any chance of posting a Max 8 file for studying?

darrennorthcott
08-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks!

for sure. i actually did in in 9. backwards compatable? i'll post it when i get home from work. unfortunatley with 2 jobs that won't be till 10 or so. the on eproblem i did run into, which i posted on the particle flow thread, is that due to issues i ran into with lock/bond and such, i had to use position object when the biped caught on fire. my original plan was for the fire to start at his feet and engulf up, but for some reason just couldnt get it work. also one difference i used from your animation was that i covered the biped in particles, then added pflowab operators to them so that fume could lock onto those, instead of using the biped itself as the fume object.

D

visualchaosfx
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks!

for sure. i actually did in in 9. backwards compatable? i'll post it when i get home from work. unfortunatley with 2 jobs that won't be till 10 or so. the on eproblem i did run into, which i posted on the particle flow thread, is that due to issues i ran into with lock/bond and such, i had to use position object when the biped caught on fire. my original plan was for the fire to start at his feet and engulf up, but for some reason just couldnt get it work. also one difference i used from your animation was that i covered the biped in particles, then added pflowab operators to them so that fume could lock onto those, instead of using the biped itself as the fume object.

D

How long did it take to simulate?

Hmm.... I don't think the file is backwards compatible.:sad:

darrennorthcott
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
hmmmm. i have both, so i'll plug it into 8 when i get home, and if not, then i'll for sure post my pflow and fume settings if that helps.

took about 1 3/4hours to sim. on 1.4 spacing and 3 detail, with 5000 particles

visualchaosfx
08-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Here's another Fume test. In this attempt, if you are familiar with the TV show Charmed, I'm trying to recreate the fireball used by The Source.

http://files.filefront.com/fireball.avi/;8262305;/fileinfo.html

I think it looks pretty good.:thumbsup:

darrennorthcott
08-08-2007, 08:36 PM
that looks pretty sweet!

how did you get the smoke to look good, i seem to have issues with my smoke looking like crap, therefore i tend not to render it

visualchaosfx
08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
that looks pretty sweet!

how did you get the smoke to look good, i seem to have issues with my smoke looking like crap, therefore i tend not to render it

Thanks dude,

Actually its fire with XYZ turbulance applied to it at a factor of 1.0. My boyancy at 0.4. Vorticity at 1.0. A burn rate at 10.0. Spacing at 1.3 And color at 252 253 177. I

Lassjus
08-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey, that looks nice. I think you might could adjust the spacing a little. It would look good with some more accurate detail. :)

Lassjus

visualchaosfx
08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I still can't seem to get the gradients to look right on the biped Fume project that I'm doing. In my earlier post, I comped the biped against a live action plate and the color of the fire looks unrealistic.

Here's the scene file if anyone wants to take a gander at the settings:

http://files.filefront.com/projectzip/;8268453;;/fileinfo.html

Thanks.:thumbsup:

Lassjus
08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I was looking at your scene, when I noticed that it refuse to solve when I added a noise-map to the temperature channel. Why is it not solving? Anyways, I think that would give you more detail to the fire, and makes it look more propotional to the biped. :) I don't know if I made it better or worse, but I tried to adjust the colours and opacity. If you send me your e-mail, I'll add you to my messenger, and I can send it to you. Is that ok?

wreath
08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
hi lassjus, your mushroom clouds are looking really nice, i am wondering, are you used pflow or any particle plugin for that? and any chance to upload the scene?

visualchaosfx
08-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I was looking at your scene, when I noticed that it refuse to solve when I added a noise-map to the temperature channel. Why is it not solving? Anyways, I think that would give you more detail to the fire, and makes it look more propotional to the biped. :) I don't know if I made it better or worse, but I tried to adjust the colours and opacity. If you send me your e-mail, I'll add you to my messenger, and I can send it to you. Is that ok?

I have no idea why it isn't solving with a noise map. Here's my email address:

wildstorm_films@yahoo.com

I don't have MSN messenger. Only Yahoo. Thank you for looking at it though.

depleteD
08-09-2007, 07:30 PM
damn, some excellent work here guys
keep it up

darrennorthcott
08-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Wildstorm,

i wasn't able to post the biped_burn max scene, but i have screenshots of my pflow and fume settings. I hope this helps.

you can PM me if you want me to email you the max9 scene, or I can post it later if other people are interested.

cheers
Darren

visualchaosfx
08-10-2007, 05:24 AM
Wildstorm,

i wasn't able to post the biped_burn max scene, but i have screenshots of my pflow and fume settings. I hope this helps.

you can PM me if you want me to email you the max9 scene, or I can post it later if other people are interested.

cheers
Darren

Thanks for the screen shots man:D

darrennorthcott
08-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Hey no prob. if you have any questions dont hesitate to message me or email me at darrennorthcott@gmail.com

i'm working on a different version of the same animation, only this time, added skin. HUGE sim time though so far...

visualchaosfx
08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey no prob. if you have any questions dont hesitate to message me or email me at darrennorthcott@gmail.com

i'm working on a different version of the same animation, only this time, added skin. HUGE sim time though so far...

Sweet! Thanks!

Thats the thing I don't like about Fume. The sim time just takes too long if you do something like that. I wish there was a better way of making fire with Pflow. I've seen results from numorous tutorials and stuff but nothing that really compares to FumeFX. I'm also trying to stray away from using stock fire footage just because I'd rather tell someone that "yeah I created the fire" instead of "No the fire was stock footage and all I did was composite it."

darrennorthcott
08-10-2007, 02:59 PM
no worries!
yeah tell me about it. fire and explosions and stuff like that is my favorite part of vfx, but fume's sim time is sooo long sometimes, also, here's a question: i noticed that when my sim gets up to 800 megs or so, max tells me the the program has run out of memory and will shut down, is there a way i can control how much memory max uses so it wont tell me sod off when i try to do big sims?

i will post my next trial render when i get home at lunch, had to use 2.1 spacing though 'cause it was using too much memory :(

cheers

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
no worries!
yeah tell me about it. fire and explosions and stuff like that is my favorite part of vfx, but fume's sim time is sooo long sometimes, also, here's a question: i noticed that when my sim gets up to 800 megs or so, max tells me the the program has run out of memory and will shut down, is there a way i can control how much memory max uses so it wont tell me sod off when i try to do big sims?

i will post my next trial render when i get home at lunch, had to use 2.1 spacing though 'cause it was using too much memory :(

cheers

Darren

I wish I could help you out with the memory issues. I don't really know how to solve that problem.:(

That may be the way I'll have to go. Using stock fire footage or something because if I do happen to get a job offer from some indie filmmaker, I can't spend all that time trying sim fire effects and stuff.:D

darrennorthcott
08-10-2007, 06:03 PM
no kidding.

here is my latest quick render of the biped on fire. added skin this time... i know my skinning skills suck so please cut em a break on that one(actually this was my first skinning attempt :) ) had to use 2.1 spacing on this though. but let me know what you think guys

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/biped_burn_skin.avi

cheers
Darren

visualchaosfx
08-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey Darren,

Thats pretty sweet! I'll have to start doing some tests like that. Good job dude!:thumbsup:

darrennorthcott
08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
thanks man!

i'm going to try playing with the skin dissintegration and adding a skeleton, and real footage perhaps. thats the goal so far.

Cryptite
08-11-2007, 08:18 PM
BlueGriffin: I don't know how to control the memory allotted by max so you don't get memory errors over 800mb, but I believe most everybody has this problem. It was this problem and suggestions from the beta users that the updated Fume included the Sim Limits in the General Parameters. These let you know whether you're likely to go over x mb memory when your scene sims. Best bet is just to play around with the spacing and see what that number does so you don't have to lose time running sims that'll run out of memory. Note that you're gonna have to have the update though to see this (FumeFX 1.0a is the build with it).

Anesthaesia
08-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey wildstorm,

I had a play with your file and came up with the following:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48544850/biped_fume_01.mov.html

I figured there has to be smoke as it's burning flesh :), and enabled your scene light in Fume. Also tweaked the color gradient of the flame slightly.

Would have liked to have tweaked further but was short for time.

Cheers,

I still can't seem to get the gradients to look right on the biped Fume project that I'm doing. In my earlier post, I comped the biped against a live action plate and the color of the fire looks unrealistic.

Here's the scene file if anyone wants to take a gander at the settings:

http://files.filefront.com/projectzip/;8268453;;/fileinfo.html

Thanks.:thumbsup:

darrennorthcott
08-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Anesthaesia (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=96264): That looks pretty sweet!

would you be able to post the fume settigs you used?

i attempted to add smoke to my biped scene.. with no avail, as it looks like ass :(
any suggestions would be great!!

here's the video

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/biped_burn_skin-2.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/biped_burn_skin-2.avi)

all the previous vids are at:
www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/vid_index.htm (http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/vid_index.htm)

i will also be posting scene files at that link too

Cryptite: thanks! i will have to check that out

cheers

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey wildstorm,

I had a play with your file and came up with the following:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48544850/biped_fume_01.mov.html

I figured there has to be smoke as it's burning flesh :), and enabled your scene light in Fume. Also tweaked the color gradient of the flame slightly.

Would have liked to have tweaked further but was short for time.

Cheers,

WOW that looks sweet. Any chance of posting the scene file? How long did the sim take?

visualchaosfx
08-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Here's another fire test that I just did. This time I thought I would use Particle flow as the source for the FumeFire.

Have a looky (http://files.filefront.com/pflow+fume+testmov/;8297839;;/fileinfo.html)

I think it looks pretty cool. To me it seemed to sim faster doing it this way.

darrennorthcott
08-13-2007, 04:48 AM
Wild:

yeah dude looks sweet!! i've been using pflow for the source of all my fume tests so far, (biped, logo) i like it because it uses each particle as a source, that way you get multiple points generating the fire, like embers, and you can animate the pflow and get some pretty cool results.

try covering your biped in particles and do the pfow sim that way, see how it turns out, would love to see it. keep up the good testing bro!

cheers

Darren

p.s. i posted that max file on my vid index, its max 9 though, not sure if that helps you

visualchaosfx
08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Wild:

yeah dude looks sweet!! i've been using pflow for the source of all my fume tests so far, (biped, logo) i like it because it uses each particle as a source, that way you get multiple points generating the fire, like embers, and you can animate the pflow and get some pretty cool results.

try covering your biped in particles and do the pfow sim that way, see how it turns out, would love to see it. keep up the good testing bro!

cheers

Darren

p.s. i posted that max file on my vid index, its max 9 though, not sure if that helps you

Thanks man,

I'm gonna try another one where the particles are emitting from a cylinder laying on the ground and the flames rise up. I've been trying to do that without using PFLOW but can't seem to get the flames to look right so I think with a little help from PFLOW, I'll be able to do this. I post a video as soon as I get all working out.

Where's the scene file to the biped fire thingy?

visualchaosfx
08-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Here's the Cylinder fire animation. I used a spherical wind spacewarp to allow the particles to follow it. Looks pretty cool. Especially the way the fire is colored. Kinda like the Goblet of Fire he he.:D

The Blue Fire Thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMN4I96bOMI)

Oh and does anyone know how to do smoke in Fume? I can't seem to get the smoke to look right which is why my renders don't have smoke in them. Also I found a Fume show reel on youtube which I think is fantastic.

Check it out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI)

This the kinda stuff I want to do.

darrennorthcott
08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
nice dude!

how did you set up your pflow and fume? so far i've just been using particles as the base emitters, how did you get it to respond to wind?

i've seen that you tube vid before, its what got me hooked on fume. that guy has some great work!

the scene is posted here:

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/vid_index.htm

hope it helps

cheers,

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-13-2007, 05:03 PM
nice dude!

how did you set up your pflow and fume? so far i've just been using particles as the base emitters, how did you get it to respond to wind?

i've seen that you tube vid before, its what got me hooked on fume. that guy has some great work!

the scene is posted here:

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/vid_index.htm (http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/vid_index.htm)

hope it helps

cheers,

Darren

Hey Darren,

Here's the Max 9 scene file for that animation. It has the particle flow and FumeFX setup. Hope this helps out.

Max file (http://files.filefront.com/fume+cylinderzip/;8302152;;/fileinfo.html)

depleteD
08-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Lee im lovin your little tests dude, keep it up

have you guys gotten fume to come to a point?
Like the fume emiisions being sucked into a sphere.
The last project that I did I tried really hard an couldnt quite get it. Needed mroe time for research.

darrennorthcott
08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Andrew,

not quite sure what you mean... like, a hood vacume sucking up the flames on a fire, or do you mean more like a black hole type of effect..

cheers

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Lee im lovin your little tests dude, keep it up

have you guys gotten fume to come to a point?
Like the fume emiisions being sucked into a sphere.
The last project that I did I tried really hard an couldnt quite get it. Needed mroe time for research.

Thanks man,

Do you have an example of what you just desribed?

Right now I'm trying to see if I can get my smokes right. So far, the smokes suck. I've added a light in the scene and the smoke still looks terrible.

visualchaosfx
08-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Well I decided to try and render some smokey stuff. So I put together a an asteroid test scene. All created using just Fume. Notice that there's flickering in the clouds. Why???

Have a looky (http://files.filefront.com/astroidavi/;8303844;;/fileinfo.html)

Any helpful tips would be really cool. I'm also trying to do some smokey stuff as seen in the youtube video that I posted earlier. Can't seem to get the smoke stuff to look or act right. This test here is pretty much the only thing that has worked out somewhat lol. I'm also currently simming another fume/fire test using a torus as the source object and am trying to generate some thick smoke stuff.

I have a question: Was FumeFX used in the airplane sequence in Superman Returns or was that all Afterburn?

depleteD
08-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Well I decided to try and render some smokey stuff. So I put together a an asteroid test scene. All created using just Fume. Notice that there's flickering in the clouds. Why???

Try pulling your step size down real low in the lighting tab.

For thick smoke try increaseing density, make sure your light has atmospheric shadows enabled.

I have a question: Was FumeFX used in the airplane sequence in Superman Returns or was that all Afterburn?

I have no idea, but something like that is usually raymarcher because the voxel grid would have to be so big.

SoLiTuDe
08-13-2007, 11:18 PM
http://www.fxguide.com/article360.html <-- sony did the airplane sequence, and as far as we've all heard they use houdini for all their fx

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 12:13 AM
here's a quick test i did, using fracture

the actual fracture sequence is a little fast, but let me know what you think

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/skull_burn_shatter1.avi

cheers

Darren

4dartist
08-14-2007, 12:17 AM
BlueGriffin- Your link appears broken.

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 12:17 AM
sorry. fixed it

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 12:20 AM
here's a quick test i did, using fracture

the actual fracture sequence is a little fast, but let me know what you think

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/skull_burn_shatter1.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/skull_burn_shatter1.avi)

cheers

Darren

Hey Blue,

That was really cool. How long was the simulation on that one?

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Try pulling your step size down real low in the lighting tab.

For thick smoke try increaseing density, make sure your light has atmospheric shadows enabled.

I have no idea, but something like that is usually raymarcher because the voxel grid would have to be so big.

OMG!! Big difference when I enabled the atmospheric shadow. Holy cow the smoke looks awesome. Its nice and thick. Might have to try and do a tornado with Fume.

OT: Anyone know where I can download a free version of the Boeing 747? I think what I'm gonna try and do is recreate the airplane scene from Superman Returns.

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks Lee,

the sim only took about 15 mins, my step size was still only 1.6 and i was working on a smaller scale

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 03:47 AM
Ok here is a 1 sec test scene for ya'll to look at. I used a torus as the emitter. Looks pretty good. I still have some adjustments to make to get rid of the flicker in the smoke.

Have another lookie at this cookie lol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_EbqjHZWbQ)

This one takes a little longer to sim and render but the results are fantastic. What do I need to adjust in order to get a higher quality render? Is it the step size in the rendering tab? Does it go by the higher the number the better quality I get sort of thing?

depleteD
08-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Darren- Not bad, a good use of max systems. Try and take this test further. I recommend framing your shot better. Starting off , I have no clue what I'm looking at. I also recommend adding details, marks on the column, and many different pieces on the fracture lots of particles, add variation, maybe 2 or 3 different fume sims with different turbulence.

Lee- sexy smoke, but more and longer that 1 second was too short.
I recommend not trying to do the plane scene in fume until your able to animate the fume grid. :)

-Andrew

SoLiTuDe
08-14-2007, 05:47 AM
It doesn't look like you have a light with shadows on in your scene (remember to turn on atmospheric shadows in one of the light rollouts). This will help the smoke TONS! Lowering the step size helps in the render tabs, but overall the grid spacing is one of the biggest factors in how the end result looks, then of course playing with the right density and color to match what you need.

--Ian

Ok here is a 1 sec test scene for ya'll to look at. I used a torus as the emitter. Looks pretty good. I still have some adjustments to make to get rid of the flicker in the smoke.

Have another lookie at this cookie lol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_EbqjHZWbQ)

This one takes a little longer to sim and render but the results are fantastic. What do I need to adjust in order to get a higher quality render? Is it the step size in the rendering tab? Does it go by the higher the number the better quality I get sort of thing?

PsychoSilence
08-14-2007, 10:15 AM
wow! 20 pages already! congrats! lots of reading for me :) i just got a license for my notebook so i can play even freelancing onsite *starts reading page1*

kind regards,
anselm

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestions man. here is round 2, not much different, added more particles, and chuinks of column. still have to reframe the shot though.

let me know what you think.

www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/skull_burn_shatter2.avi

cheers,

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey Blue,

That animation looks tight man. Great job.

Here's what I've been working on. Its not a solid project yet but something just thrown together.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q42/visualchaosfx/767_fume_test.jpg

The sim area is:
Width: 987.746
Length: 6173.4
Height: 4345.0
and a spacing of 1.0

I didn't siim the fire because I'm trying to get the smoke to look right. This is only frame 10 of 200 frame animation of the jet falling from the sky. I already started getting warnings that said "WARNING: Could not allocate field 28!" So I'm thinking my grid area is way to big. As of right now with the current settings, the sim will take 222 plus hours to sim. What do you guys think?

I'm doing a test render on the ring project to see if I've gotten rid of the flicker in the smoke. Its on frame 16 with an eplapsed time of 1hr 5 mins. The calculating illumination maps pass is what takes so much time.

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Lee:
Thanks!
Looks good dude! i really like the smoke.

smoke, i find is the hardest thing to get right.

does anyone know if or how to get the fumefx to emit light? and also i am working on trying to get an old cannon-like smoke billow, but to no avail.. any suggestions?

cheers

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Lee:
Thanks!
Looks good dude! i really like the smoke.

smoke, i find is the hardest thing to get right.

does anyone know if or how to get the fumefx to emit light? and also i am working on trying to get an old cannon-like smoke billow, but to no avail.. any suggestions?

cheers

Darren

Thanks man,

Yeah smoke is hard to do especially when it takes to damn long to sim a few frames so you can do a render and see what it looks like to make appropriate adjustments. When you say emit light do you mean like for example, a campfire and how it effects the srrounding area? The billowing smoke I'd like to achieve as well. I'm thinking maybe some tweaking with bouyancy maybe. I don't know. lol. There needs be a FumeFX DVD like right friggin now.:D

You think a boxx technologies computer will improve sim and render times or no?

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 03:41 PM
no kidding.

yeah, like when the fume fire gets close to an object the object is lit accordingly

depleteD
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
lolz damnit wild!
grid spaceing have to be equally high when you have such a huge grid. Fume doesn't work that well for GIANT size effects. You need to be able to animate the grid and have ununiform grid spaceing shit. So i really dont think this is a good approach for plane falling through the sky.
but dont let me stop u dude :)

your render looks nice tho :)

BlueGriffin- try animateing the multiple scattering muliplier :)

A good tip for fume is to use high spaceing and combine with fluid mapping, or low spaceing without fluid mapping.

Also add point sorces that only add turbulence to your fume sim, so you can stack your turbulences :)

You guys in the fx challenge?

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Andrew:

what excatly does the multiple scattering do?

and yeah, i signed up for the fx challenge. spent around 4 hours last night trying to get the smoke and fire for the cannon right. but then got too frustrated and decided to move on for a bit before i destroyed my computer :D

any advice would be awesome

thanks

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 04:37 PM
lolz damnit wild!
grid spaceing have to be equally high when you have such a huge grid. Fume doesn't work that well for GIANT size effects. You need to be able to animate the grid and have ununiform grid spaceing shit. So i really dont think this is a good approach for plane falling through the sky.
but dont let me stop u dude :)

your render looks nice tho :)

BlueGriffin- try animateing the multiple scattering muliplier :)

A good tip for fume is to use high spaceing and combine with fluid mapping, or low spaceing without fluid mapping.

Also add point sorces that only add turbulence to your fume sim, so you can stack your turbulences :)

You guys in the fx challenge?

lol I figured that. Yeah I like to start out big. Its habit of mine. Anyways, I think I got this problem solved now. I've shrunk the grid size to 3000 x 3000 x 3000. Thngs are lookin good. Its simming right now.

No I'm not in the FX challenge. Maybe when I get better at this I'll join.:D

depleteD
08-14-2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrenno...rn_shatter2.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/darrennorthcott/vids/skull_burn_shatter2.avi)

dont have that codec :shrug:

BlueGriffin- :) keep at it grab refrence :) Multiple scattering is the effect of fire emitting light through the smoke and the smoke lighting the smoke if that makes sense. Kind of like a sub surface effect not sure how it behaves with other lights if it does at all. I will ahve to check the manual

wildstormfilms- a 3 k grid is massive, i try to stay below 300x300x300

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Andrew:

sorry dude, using divx(keeps the file size low)

posted it on youtube as well(quality is a bit reduced due to well, you tube :|)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH45rx2YCCs

cheers

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Hmmm..... I might try and do just the fire on the plane and use PFlow with Afterburn to generate the smoke trail because this is taking too long to sim and render to make adjustments if something isn't right.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q42/visualchaosfx/767_fume_test2.jpg

My sim area is:
300 x 300 x 519 high and my spacing is currently 1.2. I did have a spacing of 2.0 to 3.0 and the sim times were faster but the smoke was not detailed enough like in this image.

Daniel-B
08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Hmmm..... I might try and do just the fire on the plane and use PFlow with Afterburn to generate the smoke trail because this is taking too long to sim and render to make adjustments if something isn't right.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q42/visualchaosfx/767_fume_test2.jpg

My sim area is:
300 x 300 x 519 high and my spacing is currently 1.2. I did have a spacing of 2.0 to 3.0 and the sim times were faster but the smoke was not detailed enough like in this image.

You could run a fluid sim, and then run particles through that. Then you could apply AfterBurn puffs to those particles. That way, you would get the fluid motion, with AfterBurn shaders.

SoLiTuDe
08-14-2007, 08:36 PM
You'll have to do some tricks in post though -- aburn and fume will NOT render properly together yet.

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 08:41 PM
You'll have to do some tricks in post though -- aburn and fume will NOT render properly together yet.

Yeah. It sucks though. I really like how the smoke is turning out but like I said earlier, it takes too damn long.

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Lee:

just an idea (cant test cause i'm at work) but what if you simmed and rendered out the smoke with higher spacing (so its fast) and use that as a base smoke, then re sim with smaller spacing, but less density and accentuated highlights for detail(should be faster) then comp together in post?

just an idea, prob won't turn out:D but worth a look

cheers
Darren

visualchaosfx
08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Lee:

just an idea (cant test cause i'm at work) but what if you simmed and rendered out the smoke with higher spacing (so its fast) and use that as a base smoke, then re sim with smaller spacing, but less density and accentuated highlights for detail(should be faster) then comp together in post?

just an idea, prob won't turn out:D but worth a look

cheers
Darren

You know what? That might actually work. I'll give it a whirl and get back to ya.

darrennorthcott
08-14-2007, 08:57 PM
sweet!

can you post the result regardless just so i can see what happens.

hopefully works for you. i can only stare at code for so long until i start getting strange ideas...

Darren

PartiallyFrozen
08-15-2007, 05:00 AM
I wanted to show (just incase others missed siggraph like I did) a demo that I made for the Frantic Films booth. It is using fume to drive the particles and then Krakatoa to render it. It's actually only using 8 million particles. It can go WAY higher if you want.

http://partiallyfrozen.com/images/sigplane.jpg (http://partiallyfrozen.com/Movies/SigPlane34.mov)

http://partiallyfrozen.com/images/sigplaneside.jpg (http://partiallyfrozen.com/Movies/SigPlaneSide.mov)

Enjoy.

Mark Theriault

PsychoSilence
08-15-2007, 10:20 AM
nice one! reminds me of that early demo with the Mini :)

position object with a deflector to trigger the dispersion and a cached fume burning plane as movement driver?

kind regards,
anselm

draven5494
08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
I wanted to show (just incase others missed siggraph like I did) a demo that I made for the Frantic Films booth. It is using fume to drive the particles and then Krakatoa to render it. It's actually only using 8 million particles. It can go WAY higher if you want.

Enjoy.

Mark Theriault

Mark, that was amazing! I was wondering if you could give a little more detail on how you accomplished that. Very impressive!

joconnell
08-15-2007, 02:21 PM
dont have that codec :shrug:

BlueGriffin- :) keep at it grab refrence :) Multiple scattering is the effect of fire emitting light through the smoke and the smoke lighting the smoke if that makes sense. Kind of like a sub surface effect not sure how it behaves with other lights if it does at all. I will ahve to check the manual

wildstormfilms- a 3 k grid is massive, i try to stay below 300x300x300

The grid size is really important to get the behaviour working correctly - it's the cell spacing that causes the issues, not the grid width height and length.

PartiallyFrozen
08-15-2007, 03:22 PM
nice one! reminds me of that early demo with the Mini :)

position object with a deflector to trigger the dispersion and a cached fume burning plane as movement driver?

kind regards,
anselm

NICE CATCH! haha thats EXACTLY how it's done. It is infact exactly how the mini was done. I just really wanted to try and bring fume motion into the effect. Previously we were just using a wind force and lets all face it Fume = Pretty :).

Mark

depleteD
08-15-2007, 04:11 PM
awesome work Mark.
did you need a big fume grid to work with that? Or krakatoa partitioning it fill in detail?
I'm trying to push krak here at blur. Want that thing so bad.

The grid size is really important to get the behaviour working correctly - it's the cell spacing that causes the issues, not the grid width height and length.

yea thats what I meant, adjust the spaceing so its below 300 cubed, thx for clarifying tho

-Andrew

JohnnyRandom
08-15-2007, 04:21 PM

Enjoy.

Mark Theriault

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing with us unfortunate souls that were unable to attend :)

JohnnyRandom
08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
@joconnell
Sweeet job on that Coor's Light "The Snow" ad (Stash 35) Glad to see all that Fume work came together. Avalanches look great... Cheers!:beer:
Did you do the snow folks too? Kinda resembled the work you did on the Guinness ad.

PartiallyFrozen
08-15-2007, 06:50 PM
awesome work Mark.
did you need a big fume grid to work with that? Or krakatoa partitioning it fill in detail?
I'm trying to push krak here at blur. Want that thing so bad.

yea thats what I meant, adjust the spaceing so its below 300 cubed, thx for clarifying tho

-Andrew

It was a very fast sim actually I think i was using a 2.5 spacing on a very LONG grid. The sim wasn't that intense actually (I think it took close to 45 min to sim). I wanted it to be loose in a way. And i actually didnt partition at all. Just straight up 8 million into the birth when i was birthing to the object.

Krakatoa really is a tool to have. It can be used for so many things. Its WELL worth the cost...which isn't expensive at all.

Mark

monkeydonut
08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi there,
I've been playing with the fume demo for a little while and I could use a pointer as the tutorials are not great :P

I'm trying to simulate a fast burst of low density smoke from the muzzle of a LAW rocket launcher. The shot takes place in slow motion to complicate matters (thus I am playing with the time scale at 0.1-0.5 so far)

What I'm currently doing is positioning a simple source inside the proxy launch tube, and then having it emit smoke. I am not simulating fuel or fire. The idea is that I ramp up the smoke density and turbulence and have it emit with a fast directional / radial velocity, then ramp down the smoke density at the emitter and the turbulence also. i.e. it emits a large amount of smoke quickly and dies to zero.

The problem comes with trying to get a very fast initial expansion from the muzzle and then a fast relaxation into a slower flow (perhaps using velocity damping). If I was doing a regular explosion I would simply be able to use the fuel expansion setting, but as the emitter is only emitting smoke it seems I am limited to just increasing the smoke density at the emitter -> higher pressure in tube -> faster ejection. But of course I want low density smoke not thick afterburn looking stuff.

At the moment I can get the smoke to shoot out in a turbulent stream, but not to expand a great deal radially outside the muzzle. I.e. it's a flamethrower type of action, where as I'm looking for more of a radial expansion outside the muzzle. Do the smoke diffusion settings have any bearing on this at all, the help document is not particularly in depth on this? Perhaps I should move my emitter closer to the mouth of the tube (currently 1/4 tube length back from muzzle)?

Any ideas on whether I'm missing something here? I am able to post the scene file when I get home.

Thanks
Alex Gingell

darrennorthcott
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Try checking the 'fuel produces smoke' checkbox. then you might be able to animate the fuel to get what you are looking for.

cheers

Darren

darrennorthcott
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Here's a couple more quick test renders i did.

thisone is just a fast render, i used a small scale, hence the lack of detail in the smoke and fire

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/towercollapse_test1.avi

this was just a small idea i had:

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/bullet_fall-fire1.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/bullet_fall-fire1.avi)

let me know what you think

cheers
Darren

visualchaosfx
08-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey Darren those look pretty cool. I like the 2nd clip the best. I like the smoke in the 1st clip. How it curls and stuff.:thumbsup:

darrennorthcott
08-17-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks Lee!

yeah. i really like the 2nd clip too. the first was just a quick(lets see if this is doable) render for the fxwars challenge.

did you try that compositing idea with the 2 smoke renders?

cheers
Darren

visualchaosfx
08-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Thanks Lee!

yeah. i really like the 2nd clip too. the first was just a quick(lets see if this is doable) render for the fxwars challenge.

did you try that compositing idea with the 2 smoke renders?

cheers
Darren

Yeah. It didn't work. I render out the base of the smoke but when it came time to do the detail part of it I lost alot of the detail because of adjusting the opacity settings and stuff.

darrennorthcott
08-17-2007, 06:08 AM
boo. oh well. sorry that didnt work out for you.

visualchaosfx
08-18-2007, 07:17 AM
According to Allan Mckay's website, he will be releasing 3 Training DVDs on FumeFX.

11th August 07 Allan McKay announces he will be releasing 3 Fume FX training DVD's aimed at expert level audiences. These training DVD's will cover the fundementals of fluids, scripting fluids, fluids for simulating natural phenomena and an entire DVD focussed on digital pyrotechnics.

This is just awesome! I'ma ready for the training DVD!:thumbsup:

Glacierise
08-18-2007, 07:44 AM
3, and expert ones!!! That will be the best DVD pack ever, ever!

visualchaosfx
08-18-2007, 07:50 AM
3, and expert ones!!! That will be the best DVD pack ever, ever!

Hell yeah man!! Its gonna be full on!

Daniel-B
08-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Any info on when Allan's DVD will be released? His DVDs are great. :)

visualchaosfx
08-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Any info on when Allan's DVD will be released? His DVDs are great. :)

So far no more info has been posted on his website. I'm assuming before the end of this year? That would be cool. Would make a good birthday or Christmas present for me:D

feldy
08-18-2007, 04:59 PM
i had to check the website myself nice. now your going to have the people drooling forever Allan. Hopefully turbosquid wont take a year to get it out after your done with it like the last one. good stuff I cant wait..

Lassjus
08-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi. A training dvd sounds really cool Allan. I look forward to see it out.
I made some tests, and have not been able to post them yet, because I am without internet at my apartment at the moment. But I would like to show them here now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkMRAUZl8B0 Just a pretty detailed flame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgx7MujrPc Some more fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMTM_2RGjRU Midair explosion with no initial vertical movement. (sorry, I did not have time to make a longer sim)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc-TLZOYtJA A burning house. (sorry, I did not have time to make a longer sim)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVHYhv0h2jc A small smokey explosion.

Hope you like them.
Lassjus

visualchaosfx
08-18-2007, 07:17 PM
I made some tests, and have not been able to post them yet, because I am without internet at my apartment at the moment. But I would like to show them here now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMTM_2RGjRU Midair explosion with no initial vertical movement. (sorry, I did not have time to make a longer sim)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc-TLZOYtJA A burning house. (sorry, I did not have time to make a longer sim)

Hope you like them.
Lassjus

Hey man, these look sweet. Any chance of posting the scene files? I'd like to study them furthur.

darrennorthcott
08-18-2007, 07:27 PM

Hope you like them.
Lassjus

looks good dude.

i am looking forward to Allans tutorial and dvd on fume!! super pumped. i'm enrolled in his visual effects for film course, so that will be off the hook for sure.

here is a quick and dirty test i did for an asteroid using fume

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/comet_fume1.avi

comments welcome!

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-18-2007, 07:29 PM
looks good dude.

i am looking forward to Allans tutorial and dvd on fume!! super pumped. i'm enrolled in his visual effects for film course, so that will be off the hook for sure.

here is a quick and dirty test i did for an asteroid using fume

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/comet_fume1.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/comet_fume1.avi)

comments welcome!

Darren

Looks sweet dude? Can you post a scene file please? Pwetty please lol.

darrennorthcott
08-18-2007, 07:33 PM
yeah dude,

scene file(max 9) is here

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/scenes/comet_fume1.max

cheers
Darren

visualchaosfx
08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
yeah dude,

scene file(max 9) is here

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/scenes/comet_fume1.max (http://www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/scenes/comet_fume1.max)

cheers
Darren

Swwet thanks dude!:thumbsup:

nenenenad
08-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Can anyone tell me how to do a FUmeFX simulation on two computers in lan via backburner?

SoLiTuDe
08-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Can anyone tell me how to do a FUmeFX simulation on two computers in lan via backburner?

You can't do a single simulation across multiple computers... but you can send out two different sims to two different computers.

visualchaosfx
08-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Hey all,

Since I pretty much got the asteroid shot wrapped up (see afterburn thread) I am now beginning the shots where the asteroid is rollin through space and headed for earth. This clip here is just a test on the dust emitting from the surface of the asteroid as it rolls through space. I'm gonna change the color of of the dust to give it a really light bluish tint to it because after all, outer space is really really cold and stuff.

Look at me! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lu8jtGC9XE0)

Hey Darren, I like borrowed the meteor mesh from your scene file that I got from you a few days ago. Is that ok?

Lassjus
08-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Wow! That looks amazing. You go the slow look right, so the astroid looks lika really huge one instead of a really small one. :)

Lasse

visualchaosfx
08-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow! That looks amazing. You go the slow look right, so the astroid looks lika really huge one instead of a really small one. :)

Lasse

Thanks man,

The astroid isn't that big. I would say its the size of an A380 jet in terms of length.

Lassjus
08-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, but still larger than a matchbox

visualchaosfx
08-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah, but still larger than a matchbox

Yep. Way larger lol

darrennorthcott
08-21-2007, 05:39 AM
lee,
yeah dude! borrow away!! looks really good!!
you will have post the scene file! love the dust!!

my only suggestion would be to make the trail a littl longer :)

Darren

p.s. havn't been on the foum last couple days because we just a baby girl today!!!

entrancea
08-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Hey Guys,
I have a problem with FumeFX simulation.It seems that my simulation crashes after a while and it gives me an error message like "Out of memory.Application will shut down now".And Max crashes.I have tried to bring down the grid spacing like by a whole lot like say around 10 to 20...And still like after a whlle into the simulation it still hangs.I have a decent enough system like Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz,2gb Ram and a Geforce 7800GT 512mb Graphics card.I thought that this was enough for the sim to run.Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Subhro

Cryptite
08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
entrancea,

Either your scene is ultra-complex, or you're doing the opposite thing with the spacing. I doubt it, but I hope by "I have tried to bring down the grid spacing like by a whole lot like say around 10 to 20." you meant increase the spacing. The smaller the spacing the more detail. If you did mean you're increasing the spacing and it's still failing, then try posting your scene for us to look at. Your computer should run the sims just fine; I was managing with a single-core processor earlier this summer with just about the same other specs as you.

visualchaosfx
08-22-2007, 11:35 PM
lee,
yeah dude! borrow away!! looks really good!!
you will have post the scene file! love the dust!!

my only suggestion would be to make the trail a littl longer :)

Darren

p.s. havn't been on the foum last couple days because we just a baby girl today!!!

Sweet thanks dude. Here is the max file:

http://dodownload.filefront.com/8379372//02e1cd70d1f32b5a43ee475743367b94c2f2f6e1b3c64a81cccf49a8966841d22cbdd9f1f93fe76c

And now you have a little demon girl eh lol. Just kiddin. Congratulation man:D

Lassjus
08-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Blue griffin. I don't understand, did your girl give birth to a little baby, or am I really far out now? If you got a baby girl, I really congrats you!!

Lassjs

visualchaosfx
08-23-2007, 01:02 AM
Hey ya'll,

Did a little improvement on the Asteroid flyby sequence. Here ya go:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qxDfTODg6YE

Let me know whatcha tink.

entrancea
08-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Allrighty,

Thanks Cryptite.....I;ll check things out and decrease my scene scale as you mentioned its pretty big now....Thanks...I'll post something when I'm done.

Chaow,
Subhro

visualchaosfx
08-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Hey Lassjus,

I was wondering if you would be willing to post some of your FumeFX scene files?

darrennorthcott
08-23-2007, 02:54 AM
Lee, Cryptite:
Thanks!! she's been pretty fussy, but definately worth it!!

Lee:
your vid looks sweet!! how did you get the handheld camera movement?

I plan on workin up my comet scene here tonight, since I'm not really etting any sleep anyways :)

cheers

Darren

visualchaosfx
08-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Lee, Cryptite:
Thanks!! she's been pretty fussy, but definately worth it!!

Lee:
your vid looks sweet!! how did you get the handheld camera movement?

I plan on workin up my comet scene here tonight, since I'm not really etting any sleep anyways :)

cheers

Darren

Thanks D,

I used Adobe After Effects Sapphire plugin for the camera shake. Works out pretty cool.

Ah the wonders of being a father:D

MikeKelley
08-23-2007, 03:33 AM
Finding out about Fume from the Autodesk Forums I went over to the site and looked at the AVIs. Then I saw this thread and read the whole thing and I'm still a little confused about Fume, particularly when it comes to particles.

As I understand it Fume is a fluid based system that mostly (always) deals with heat particles and fire. I don't see any demos for cold liquid gas (like you might get from dry ice) for example. But it also seems to work with PF, right? What does that mean, exactly?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is why would you use it with particles at all? Or do you *always* use it with particles? Can you get it to generate gases that flow downwards and how easy is it to do that (if you can) or does it always work with "heat" and "fuel" as you keep talking about here (could you have negative heat, like a real cold fog?).

I'm not all that great when it comes to particles and it was always my hope that Max would improve particles to the point where they would behave "naturally" and it seems like Fume has some of this at least. But I hate to drop $800 when it seems like the talk around here is how difficult it is to use (just WHY don't they have a demo version of this?)

SoLiTuDe
08-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Mike:

Fume IS a fluid based system... you can do dry ice very easily in fact... all you have to do is tell the system to emit a negative temperature value of just smoke.

PF is pflow -- you can have particle flow particles (or thinking particles for that matter) follow the fume system or even birth from the fume grid based on things like density, temperature etc. ...why wouldn't you want it to work with particles!?! Sometimes rendering just fume by itself is not what we want, maybe we need a character to dissolve into smoke, but creating that effect with fume by itself would probably not look right, especially when it comes to color (just doesn't work that way), so instead we make a particles system where the character dissolves using particles and the particles follow a fume sim, and hence it will act more fluid like. You don't always use it with particles, but it can add stuff to the effect you're going for. You can also use particles as the source of heat / fire for some interesting effects as well.

Getting particles to act "natural" is just part of life, that's the same as saying I want a character to act more natural... well... you have to put a lot of work into getting it right. :)

PsychoSilence
08-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Sweet thanks dude. Here is the max file:

http://dodownload.filefront.com/8379372//02e1cd70d1f32b5a43ee475743367b94c2f2f6e1b3c64a81cccf49a8966841d22cbdd9f1f93fe76c

And now you have a little demon girl eh lol. Just kiddin. Congratulation man:D

:cry: any chance to post the settings as screenshots?...im a max8 guy...

@ Darren: all the best from my side!

kindest regards,
anselm

MikeKelley
08-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Ian,

Thanks for the reply -- I *think* I get it, but I'm so dense sometimes. I still wish there was a demo because I've been burned quite a bit by plugins that had great looking samples out there but were a PITA to use.

OT, but I notice you're from Blur in Venice, right? My old stomping grounds (I was born and raised in Venice, right on the border of Santa Monica near the airport). Of course now I'd be afraid to get out of the car in my old neighborhood (at least the last time I was there, which has been about 20 years ago).

I'm glad to see Blur is still around, as you guys have done some great stuff with/for Max for a very long time.

visualchaosfx
08-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Ian,

Thanks for the reply -- I *think* I get it, but I'm so dense sometimes. I still wish there was a demo because I've been burned quite a bit by plugins that had great looking samples out there but were a PITA to use.

OT, but I notice you're from Blur in Venice, right? My old stomping grounds (I was born and raised in Venice, right on the border of Santa Monica near the airport). Of course now I'd be afraid to get out of the car in my old neighborhood (at least the last time I was there, which has been about 20 years ago).

I'm glad to see Blur is still around, as you guys have done some great stuff with/for Max for a very long time.

There is a demo version but I am unsure why its not available. The demo versions are in the members area of the Afterworks website?? You may want to email them and see if you can get the demo version. When FumeFX came out I didn't wait around for the demo version. I went ahead and bought the thing. Even though you have access to video tutorials and a owners manual, it wasn't enough for me. It was hard to use at first and what got me through was actually looking at the settings that various FumeFX users have posted in this thread. You stufy the settings and go from there. To me, its trial an error. FumeFX and particle flow go really good together in my opinion. I've only done maybe one particle flow test with Fume. So yeah, get a hold of the admin over at the Afterworks site and see if you can get a demo version. Its well worth the investment that I made

kindest regards,
anselm

Sure I'll put together some screenies settings for ya.:D

SoLiTuDe
08-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Ian,

Cool man! I actually live in Hawthorne, but won't admit it. :) Not that it's too bad of an area, I just spend more time at work anyway!

Yeah, if you email kresimir (afterworks / sitni sati guy) you'd probably have no problem getting a 30 day trial like Lee said.

feldy
08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
pffff hawthrone..... be a man move to compton. yea that lucky bastard gets the beach 5 minutes from the studio while i am stuck in the 110 degree valley everyday. luck sob

SoLiTuDe
08-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Hehe... even though the beach is close i've been there only once. :) Actually where I'm at in Hawthorne is only a few minutes drive from the beach as well. I think i'll stick with not going to compton any time soon, thank you. :)

feldy
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
i have been here 2 years and i will never not mind not seeing that place. we still have yet to go out and get a beer :)

SoLiTuDe
08-23-2007, 08:54 PM
i have been here 2 years and i will never not mind not seeing that place. we still have yet to go out and get a beer :)

Don't feel bad... I haven't even gone out with my wife to have a beer. Work is kickin' my ass. :)

byvfx
08-23-2007, 09:06 PM
do i need to come down there help you kick work's ass? :)

feldy
08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
lol i think hes calling you out there Ian....

byvfx
08-23-2007, 10:25 PM
ian knows im a son of a b**** :)

SoLiTuDe
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
LOL yes you are. :)

Anybody in here going to do the FXWars challenge?

feldy
08-24-2007, 12:04 AM
i never did one. i probaly should one day. ian whats the current challenge???

SoLiTuDe
08-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Cannon Fire -- a bit more geared towards what an fx artist actually does... ie: just create the fx. Part 1 cannon fires (smoke and stuff) Part 2: cannon ball hits wall. blah blah

Cryptite
08-24-2007, 02:42 AM
Yarp, i'm in it using fume for all the necessary stuffs. Here's (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=528650) my thread.

visualchaosfx
08-24-2007, 04:35 AM

kindest regards,
anselm

Here ya go man. FumeFX screencaps so you can match it in 3ds max 8

http://files.filefront.com/fumefx+asteroidzip/;8388569;;/fileinfo.html (http://dodownload.filefront.com/8388569//02e1cd70d1f32b5a43ee475743367b94c2f2f6e1b3c64a81cccf49a8966841d22cbdd9f1f93fe76c)

PsychoSilence
08-24-2007, 10:10 AM
thanks, bro!

the link wouldnt open :( maybe u can email the screens to mail@3delicious.de?

that would be uber-great!

kind regards,
anselm

syedamin7
08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
oh sweet! a fumefx thread. heres a couple of tests i had done a while back.

http://www.coraelin.com/amin/fire%20tests_low.mov

syedamin7
08-24-2007, 02:24 PM
heres a single frame from the test!

PsychoSilence
08-24-2007, 02:37 PM
nice test!

i wonder how to control the flame to die out early. like having little flames not large/tall ones...

syedamin7
08-24-2007, 03:37 PM
nice test!

i wonder how to control the flame to die out early. like having little flames not large/tall ones...

In physics, buoyancy is the upward force on an object produced by the surrounding fluid (i.e., a liquid or a gas) in which it is fully or partially immersed, due to the pressure difference of the fluid between the top and bottom of the object.

You should be able to control the flame height by buoyancy.

Cryptite
08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Also, adjusting the Fuel and Burn Rate will let you work with that as well.

darrennorthcott
08-24-2007, 06:10 PM
here is my latest run with the comet scene (please ignore the terrible planet texture :) )

let me know what you think

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/comet2-2.avi

cheers

Darren

SDEN
08-24-2007, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGrPo0J-R4

visualchaosfx
08-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Darren and syedamin7,

Test look really great guys.:thumbsup: Scene files please.:D

Filefront link should work now.

How would I go about doing an atmosphere entry similiar to this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI

Reentry scene at time index 3:28

jger
08-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Check the scene file. ;)

http://gallery.radioactive3d.de/displayimage.php?album=26&pos=3

SDEN
08-25-2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuHdExeExJ8

darrennorthcott
08-25-2007, 05:22 PM
here's another run with the comet entering atmosphere and breaking up

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/comet_break_apart_2.avi

cheers
Darren

Glacierise
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
SDEN, great stuff, esp the C4 expl!!! Care to share how you did it?

amity999
08-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread for a while now. Awesome work here! I have been playing with FumeFX myself for a few days now. Can anyone tell me how to make it work with particles correctly? I want the particles to control the movement and also to use things like deflector etc. I keep getting a blob for each particle, even after using a spacing of 0.2.

Joerg, I notice you have used particles in some of your scenes. I would really appreciate some tips. Thanks!

PsychoSilence
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
first true test...

http://core2core.de/spielwiese/fume_dry_ice_test.mov

cheers,
anselm

darrennorthcott
08-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Amit,

hey dude, when using pflow, if you are using the whole pfsource as the emitter, under the source object settings in the fumefx dialog, reduce the icon size and the radius, and that should slove your problem...if it is what i think it is.

if you are looking to use only individual events or particles for emission, add a ABPflow operator and select that under your particle source in the fumefx dialog instead of the entire pflow system.

hope thhis helps

Darren

amity999
08-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Darren, thanks a lot dude. I will try this out tonight. For an example of what I meant, see this test here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xV48HqfcKw

Amit.

darrennorthcott
08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
No prob,

looked at the vid, pretty neat. I assume you are talking about the fact that each particle is surrounded by a 'larger' undetailed fume effect. if so, then the above is what should fix it. however, after you may have to increase the amount of particles to get the desired effect.

cheers

Darren

jger
08-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Amit,

what BlueGriffin said plus I found that increasing the velocity multiplier and the turbulence scale solved it too. VM und TS kind of blended those single burning particles together.

jlelievre
08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
I was lucky enough to use fume on a film a while back before it was made available to the public but this is my first little test using fume in it's final build. So it has been a while since I have touched Fume but I have to say what a fun, (and fast), tool to play with! Currently working on a flamethrower effect but decided to see what it would look like rendered without the flames but keeping the smoke. Kind makes a neat looking extinguisher effect. I'm going to play around with the scaling and velocity and see if I can get it to look a little more believable.

Fume test01 (http://www.intrinsia.net/fxfiles/FUME/fume_extinguisher.mov)

Glacierise
08-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Very cool, i liked the snowy particles falling after the jet. Did you do them with pflow follow?

darrennorthcott
08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Very nice Joel!!

any chance you can post some of the fume settings you used?

nice to see another Canadian on here :)

cheers
Darren

jlelievre
08-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks! Even better; here's the file should you want to take a look at it. Forgive me if it's not optimized; you may want to play around and tweak it to your liking. I'm slowly getting back into the groove. :) It uses a simple pflow system to drive the velocity and direction.

FUME extinguisher (http://www.intrinsia.net/fxfiles/FUME/FUME_extinguisher.rar)

PsychoSilence
08-29-2007, 05:09 PM
404 Not Found :(

is it a max8 file btw :-p

kind regards,
anselm

jlelievre
08-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Link should work now. It was done with Max 9 unfortunately.

wreath
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
the c4 stuff is really nice , can you share the file?:love:

wreath
08-30-2007, 11:14 PM
:arteest:..........

Glacierise
08-31-2007, 07:05 AM
/OT

I love it how there are so many CG metalheads from Turkey!

SDEN
08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
the c4 stuff is really nice , can you share the file?:love:

Sorry - this one for movie - i i cant share file(((

wreath
08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
/OT

I love it how there are so many CG metalheads from Turkey!

Maybe we should organize :buttrock:

Sorry - this one for movie - i i cant share file(((
Ok man thanks i understand :rolleyes:

rebolt
09-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I was lucky enough to use fume on a film a while back before it was made available to the public but this is my first little test using fume in it's final build. So it has been a while since I have touched Fume but I have to say what a fun, (and fast), tool to play with! Currently working on a flamethrower effect but decided to see what it would look like rendered without the flames but keeping the smoke. Kind makes a neat looking extinguisher effect. I'm going to play around with the scaling and velocity and see if I can get it to look a little more believable.

Fume test01 (http://www.intrinsia.net/fxfiles/FUME/fume_extinguisher.mov)

Great effect joel. :thumbsup: Waiting to see the final output. :)

wreath
09-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Here is my second attempt, still trying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP4-St-WP_s

cezmikardas
09-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMN4I96bOMI

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=533659

feldy
09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
we gave you help on the 2nd link allready. what else are you looking for somone to do it? :) lol

JohnnyRandom
09-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMN4I96bOMI

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=533659

For one you need alot I mean alot more wind pushing your fume. A little bit of rocket science for you... I saw this in last months Wired Magazine...Little bit of info on fast fuel exits the engine. MMMNNN Mach DISKS:D

If part of this blast weren't obscured, you could take the number of Mach disks (we count seven) and multiply by the speed of sound about 758 mph at the 1,300-foot altitude of this test to estimate the speed of fuel exiting the engine.

http://www.wired.com/science/space/magazine/15-09/st_rocket

Bada$$ little methane powered rocket engine.

nitrocom
09-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Btw, help for what?
:)

PerfectLine
09-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Here is my second attempt, still trying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP4-St-WP_s

Nice sim.

I was wondering if anyone knows what causes that flickering in the renders? I get that as well sometimes.

wreath
09-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Nice sim.

I was wondering if anyone knows what causes that flickering in the renders? I get that as well sometimes.

Thanks man :) , and yes its a terrible problem which i cant solve too, but i heard a way; if it's flickering, close your scene, open it again and render it again sometimes it can work..

nitrocom
09-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Good one Yiğit :) Devam...

Btw, what's your render engine? Is there any GI? It looks like there is no GI... Maybe renderer settings can solve the problem...

wreath
09-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks Cenk, it's not any G.I. as you guessed but i tried with v-ray, unfortunately same result.

nitrocom
09-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Is there any difference between Vray and Scanline? Cause using GI with high IR-Map preset can help you, I guess :)

wreath
09-04-2007, 09:08 AM
hmm I will try this but i dont have to use v-ray to get rid of this terrible flickering i think, it should be a some kind of bug, many user have trouble with it.

RCTEurope
09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi guys,

Who can get me on the go with this animation?

http://www.afterworks.com/FumeFX/anims/smoke2.avi

I just don't know how to get the settings right for this

Thnx

wreath
09-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi guys, i have good news, i tried render my scene with targa sequence then composite in after effects and the result; There is no flickering :bounce: try this :thumbsup:

nitrocom
09-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Here we go,

To RCTEurope, I've made something that possible fit your wishes!:) I have to improve it actually but at least it gives you the rough outline... I have to play with those puffy smokes...

Here's:

http://rapidshare.com/files/53456237/fume_fx_smoke.mov.html

(Sorry for poor rapid!)

If this is what you want then I could give you the setup's outline...

nitrocom
09-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Hmm there is an another test that I made earlier which is all about FumeFX Fire and VRay GI production... As you can obviously realize that My GI production level is so high that lights are over-exposed but the important point is there is no flicker or anything like that!

Btw, its (FumeFX) quality and Spacing parameters are low to simulate more faster... Inspite of quality level, it still looks good (at least to me :) )

Well anyway guys... That's for today, see you tomorrow...

Link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/53458161/fume_fx_ball_fire.mov.html
(Again rapid, sorry)

visualchaosfx
09-05-2007, 01:34 AM
hey nitro,

Use megaupload. Its better and there isn't a 142 minute wait time like rapidshare does. Youtube is a great place to host and showcase files as well.

nitrocom
09-05-2007, 07:10 AM
S..t! MegaUpload does not work for my country :) What a stupid thing...

RCTEurope
09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey Nitrocom,

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Can you give me the settings?

Thnx man,

nitrocom
09-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi there,

First thing that you can see is scene's source object which is a simple cyl. Then, I started to play with my basic settings. To grab the smoke down to ground, I simply created a FumeFX gravity, and just add it into my simulation.

Then, I played with space and quality, make quality roughly 6 (or lower depends on your comp. performance) spacing could be 2 or 3(which is depending on your scene's volume) and add some turbulance like 0.1...

I assume that you already know you have add your collision objects to simulation :) You can just play with smoke's parameter in the render section and make the high val. about 1 or 2 and opacity 1 or 2...

Well anyway, I hope you can make it...

nitrocom
09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Btw, there is no light source in the scene except cyl's VRay light mat.

monkeydonut
09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a quick question.. I'm running a simulation of the rear blast from a rocket launched out of a tube.

I have the proxy tube setup with a simple src emitting out of the back. It emits fuel and a little smoke and the fuel emits smoke.

How do I minimise/eradicate the blockiness visible in the first few frames?

It seems to me like you can see the voxels, and that the grid size should be reduced, however later in the animation things are perfectly smooth and beautiful.. it's the first 5 frames or so that are nasty looking

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7637/fumeqd8.jpg

I have tried tweaking almost every parameter without any luck (amount of smoke, fuel, burn rate, temperature, expansion, velocity multiplier, turbulence etc). The simulation grid is 180x180x150, which may be too low but is near the limit of what I can handle...I think I need a better computer to run a denser sim.

Additional info: the rocket fires right to left which is why the rear blast is almost off the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks1lTkvh6qE

There is a separate sim for the front blast..which I am overhauling. The grid boundaries are as small as possible around the area of effect, and it's lit with 2 spotlights, shadow mapping and atmospheric shadows on. There is a noise map applied to the smoke at 70% using fluid mapping.

Thankyou for any pointers

Anesthaesia
09-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have any useful tips on how to reduce Fume render times?

I am currently rendering out a clip with 12 FumeFX grids using the scanline renderer (using this instead of VRay so that I can render the FumeFX Smoke element which isn't available under VRay)
Render times are now 55mins per frame (640x340)

I have increased the illumination undersample/threshold which has been a bit of an improvement, but would like to try and bring this down further.

Any help would be great.

4dartist
09-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Monkey donut, we have that same problem sometimes too. I use fume for rocket launch animations and right when the smoke first emits there is some blocky looks to it, as if you can see each voxel.. Someone told me if you cram too much smoke in one spot you can get that effect, but i haven't tested to prove the theory. If you have time, maybe you can reduce the amount of smoke being put out at the beginning and then ramp it up over time with an animation curve. The setting is in the object source tab. I've done this and it seems to have helped a lot, but we still get boxy look on thick walls of smoke.

Also, a render setting may help hide the boxy look. My fume is rendering and i can't remember the setting, but something like opacity or thickness or something.

I feel i'll never master the settings of fume hehe. But we are getting results and thats what matters.

Ben

renaissance01
09-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey everyone, i currently use afterburn but really want to get into FumeFx...could anyone direct me to some introduction tutorials or any tutorials for that matter? I've only found one so far at 3dtotal. If anyone could help, id appreciate it :)

cheers

SoLiTuDe
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
There are almost none available. :) Do the ones in the afterworks members area, they should be able to get you started. Also register on cgfluids.com -- they've got a lot of good info compiled there as well.

renaissance01
09-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Cheers Solitude :) i guess we're all eagerly awaiting Allan Mckays dvds :p Should be alot more helpful.

nitrocom
09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
There you go :)

As you said, you have the same problem with anyone who wants to start learning FFX :) At first I've done tutorials which came with FFX manual then second I tried to play with settings randomly see what's going on with FFX! But using manual effectively is very vital. Knowing how to use settings will give you open space to play with FFX truely...

At the end, one thing to keep in mind, there is a Chinese Tutorial on the web nowadays and it's very helpful to FFX better. I guess Allan's tutors won't be detailed than this one, but it will be worthy to look at it!

I hope it helps...

feldy
09-11-2007, 04:04 PM
There you go :)

I guess Allan's tutors won't be detailed than this one, but it will be worthy to look at it!

I hope it helps...

why would you say that i have all of allans dvds and there very nice and very detailed indeed.

JohnnyRandom
09-11-2007, 04:34 PM
That Chinese tutorial you are refering too is about as basic as it gets, c'mon now.

why would you say that i have all of allans dvds and there very nice and very detailed indeed.

I would have to agree. Not to mention if you have visited his site lately the new set he refers to as being for "expert level audiences"...

feldy
09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
depending on who he does the dvds with turbosquid or whoever turbosquid takes forever i think it took a year after he gave them the dvds just to get them out. and cga dvds are expensive to ship

nitrocom
09-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey there,

C'mon guys, I did not mean Allan's DVD is gonna be trash, but I dont think this one gonna be totally different than Chinese One, it is very good source to work on! I can say that cause I have all DVDs of Allan in my hand and I know generally what he is talking about...

nenenenad
09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Hello everyone, this has been a mind cracker for me for a while and i simply can't find solution. So if any wise person knows how to solve this issue..well..it would be nice :D
Basicaly, i want to add FumeFX in Aftereffects as a layer, and that means i need to render it in max. I put matte/shaddow material on all objects, checked "apply atmosphere (at object depth)" and "receive shadows" and render it. The problem with this rendering is that shadows that FumeFX casts on matte objects appear grayish (because it is semi transparent, or because all objects receive illumination, i can't put my finger on it yet) and when i composite it on anything the shadows are not transparent black but transparent grey. All i want is to have black shadows. Does anyone have the slightest idea how to acive this.
I attached a basic scene with one fume, one omni and plane with matte/shadow material, and the gray shadow can easily be seen...
So, any ideas on this one?
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4341/grayshadowip7.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grayshadowip7.jpg)

amckay
09-19-2007, 06:32 AM
I had figured it out - I tore my hair out trying to figure this sucker out. And I did. and then I forgot! haha I'll look into it and if I do find my solution I'll let you know. essentially it's to do with the shadow/matte materials. might be worth trying a different matte material if you have any? but I'll get back to you with the real solution.

-AM

entrancea
09-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey nenenenad,

Could you post your scene file please...Needed to see your settings once....:bounce:

Subhro

nenenenad
09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Ok here's the scene

http://rapidshare.com/files/56745585/FumeMatteShadow.rar.html

Just simulate it for few frames..and good luck :)

Bandu
09-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi nenenenad,
you wrote,
..."apply atmosphere (at object depth)" and "receive shadows"...

but, in your test szene it is "At Backgroud Depth" dude...

I realy don't know exactly what the problem is, if I render your test scene, the shadow is black!
the only thing, is that omni light youre using.
if you change it to an spot or directional light, the shadow is more smoother and not so grainy on the edges

http://www.b3d-animations.com/tmp/mateshadowtest.mov

cheers,
Bandu

nenenenad
09-19-2007, 12:31 PM
First thanks all of you for trying to find a solution :)

Ok..first of all i did some test on the scene i posted, and there are few things that should be corrected in it...
1. it should stand "at object depth" not "at background depth"
2. smoke desinty should be something around 0.2
3. smoke should be coloured using gradient (i think this has to do something with my problem)

And when you hit render you get this:

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7687/newshotwz6.th.jpg (http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newshotwz6.jpg)

...notice the gray shadow;

try following things:

play with omni light's AtmosphereShadows>Color amount and shadow denisty to se how it reacts...

- What i need is: (in this particular scene) shadow not to be seen in RGB channels (it needs to be dark - black) and alpha to determine the opacity..(this way shadow's color (in RGB) can not be lighter than any background i compose it against)

- What i have is: gray colour in RGB, and good alpha (alpha in this scene is ok, it suites my needs)

Here's the updated scene...
http://rapidshare.com/files/56764987/FumeMatteShadow.rar.html

Sorry for missinstructions, i was in a hurry to recreate the scene :banghead:

Cheers!

entrancea
09-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I cracked up and I think I finally solved your shadow problem....I think that in the Matte Shadow - "Shadow Receive" parameter,if you set the "Shadow Brightness to 1" and render it then you can see nothing on the render but can see the shadow in the Alpha channel....

Regards,
Subhro

entrancea
09-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah....It definitely works....I put the Targa File in Fusion and everything works fine....

Chaow..

entrancea
09-19-2007, 04:39 PM
You can check the image below

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smokelc1.jpg

Cheers

Bandu
09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
color amount in your light shadow parameters to 0! and dont use omnis with fumeFX!

http://www.b3d-animations.com/tmp/mateshadowtest_color.mov

cheers,
Bandu

entrancea
09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
and dont use omnis with fumeFX!

Hey Bandu,why not use Omni with FFX?Care to Explain?:bounce:

Bandu
09-19-2007, 04:51 PM
because omni generate 6 shadow maps!
in each direction one... but u need 1 only

entrancea
09-19-2007, 04:55 PM
But are you talking of any type of shadows of Omni in General or the Shadow Map type itself?

Bandu
09-19-2007, 05:01 PM
what Im talking about, is resource wasting.

entrancea
09-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Allright,I see....Just wanted to know... how much does it differ with the other lights?I am not into lights much...he he...

nenenenad
09-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah....It definitely works....I put the Targa File in Fusion and everything works fine....

Chaow..

hmmm...well not for me..when i set Shadow Brigtness to 1.0, the shadow in RGB dissapperas, but it is not shown in alpha sa well...

Can you post me your scene where you achieved this?

SoLiTuDe
09-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey guys I was sick of creating an object source for each flippin object I needed to have an obj source for... at least sick of it when there were like 20 of them. http://3dplanet.de/cgfluids/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Due to some funky array stuff in the way fume handles it's objects and stuff you cannot create an object src with an object listed for the source object. So instead what we have to do is copy it then change it after it's been assigned. What's that mean? You have to first have an object source in the scene with an object assigned in the source object area. In fact it can even say "deleted"...basically it just can't be empty.

So Create an Object Src, pick an object then select any objects you want to be a source object, and run the script. You will be prompted to select which obj src you want to copy, then it should copy the object src, assign it to an object, move it to that object, and also link it to that object.

Special thanks to Eric "the machine" Hulser for helping me out

/*!
\file FumeObjSrcBySelection.ms

\remarks Create a object_src, set its object, and run on a selection of geometry

\author Ian Farnsworth
\author Email: you wish
\author Company: Blur Studio
\date 09/19/07
*/
(
if (getClassInstances Object_src).count > 0 then (
-- Don't do anything if no objects are selected
if selection.count != 0 then (
messageBox "Select Object Source to be copied"
-- Pick a object source to copy
function filterObjSrc obj = ( classof obj == object_src )
local objSrc = pickobject filter:filterObjSrc

-- If user picks an objectSrc
if objSrc != undefined then (
-- and the object src has 1 object in its list
if objSrc.object.count == 1 then (
-- Go through the selection for all objects that are geometryclass
local success = false
for obj in selection as array where superclassof obj == GeometryClass do (
SrcCopy = copy objSrc
SrcCopy.pos = obj.pos --copy and move object src to source object
SrcCopy.object = #(obj) --selection has to be an array
SrcCopy.parent = obj --parent object src to source object
success = true
) --end i loop

if not success then messageBox "You have to have some Geometry selected for this to work."
)
else messageBox "Your Object Source has to have 1 object in its ****ing list."
)
)
else messageBox "You have to have some geometry selected"
)
else messageBox "There are no Object Sources in your scene."
)

Enjoy! --if you want to create a button for it, just go to Maxscript -> New Script copy and paste everything into that window, then select and drag the code up to a toolbar

wreath
09-20-2007, 12:08 AM
That's great! Ian thanks a lot :applause:

entrancea
09-20-2007, 12:27 AM
hmmm...well not for me..when i set Shadow Brigtness to 1.0, the shadow in RGB dissapperas, but it is not shown in alpha sa well...

Can you post me your scene where you achieved this?

Here you go.....

http://download.yousendit.com/535C74083A4007E8 (http://download.yousendit.com/535C74083A4007E8)

Hope this works..

Cheers

JohnnyRandom
09-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Heh, Nice one Solitude! That ought to come in handy;)

EDIT: Yep, works like a charm:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

entrancea
09-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Yeah.....Thanks for the script dude....very very handy...:buttrock:

nenenenad
09-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Here you go.....
http://download.yousendit.com/535C74083A4007E8 (http://download.yousendit.com/535C74083A4007E8)
Hope this works..
Cheers

Yeah, it works :) it's all in "aditive reflections" checkbox...imagine...anyway...thanks a million dude!!! :bounce:

entrancea
09-20-2007, 08:14 AM
:thumbsup: No Prob Man.....Njoy

entrancea
09-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Now I got a question.I wanted to know that,how do I achieve good detailing with Fluid Mapping and Maps in Fume?

Also what should a decent grid spacing be in order to get nice details in my Flame or Smoke.

I have experimented a lot but cant seem to achieve that nice detail.....I am talking about something like the Picture,which you can see in the Fume's Help menu in Max.

Thanks

monkeydonut
09-20-2007, 10:30 AM
I have a quick question regarding rendering smoke and fire together.

In any given voxel there can only be smoke OR fire I believe.. which leads to artifacts in the render if you render both fire and smoke together, as some voxels will have only a small amount of fire but be surrounded by voxels dense with smoke leading to discontinuities.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/927/fumerenderua9.jpg

Here is an example of what I'm talking about...the top left clearly shows artifacts which are not present in a smoke only render.

However combining separate smoke and fire passes does not give me the proper illumination of the smoke by the fire.

The step size in this image was 5%. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a way around this?

Thanks
Alex

ChrisNeuhahn
09-20-2007, 06:02 PM
http://vacantplanet.com/forum/Cannon_Test.mov

It has sound.

A little FumeFX test for my new short. It took about 48 hours to solve this.

I did both shots in one simulation but I will probably speparate them so it will be a faster solve.

nitrocom
09-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Chris,

I like the anmation, what I'm wondering is how can it be achieved "cannon smoke" with pflow...

I cant make it! Could u help me out about setup? Ive done it in only obj source but cant do in pflow!

ChrisNeuhahn
09-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I tried with Pflow for a while and decided to buy FumeFX instead.

For this I'm actually shooting particles into the FumeFX using a Particle source. Originally I was just making an explosion down in the barrel to be accurate. It was taking too long so I found a cheaper work around.

nitrocom
09-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Well I mean, using pflow with fume fx :)

I got lots of problem with using them together...

ChrisNeuhahn
09-20-2007, 07:56 PM
My particles launch in a very high speed and die quickly. They are only used as a source to burn; there is no other interactivity. My skill with FumeFX is very limited so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

PartiallyFrozen
09-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey guys I was sick of creating an object source for each flippin object I needed to have an obj source for... at least sick of it when there were like 20 of them. http://3dplanet.de/cgfluids/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Due to some funky array stuff in the way fume handles it's objects and stuff you cannot create an object src with an object listed for the source object. So instead what we have to do is copy it then change it after it's been assigned. What's that mean? You have to first have an object source in the scene with an object assigned in the source object area. In fact it can even say "deleted"...basically it just can't be empty.

So Create an Object Src, pick an object then select any objects you want to be a source object, and run the script. You will be prompted to select which obj src you want to copy, then it should copy the object src, assign it to an object, move it to that object, and also link it to that object.

Special thanks to Eric "the machine" Hulser for helping me out

/*!
\file FumeObjSrcBySelection.ms

\remarks Create a object_src, set its object, and run on a selection of geometry

\author Ian Farnsworth
\author Email: you wish
\author Company: Blur Studio
\date 09/19/07
*/
(
if (getClassInstances Object_src).count > 0 then (
-- Don't do anything if no objects are selected
if selection.count != 0 then (
messageBox "Select Object Source to be copied"
-- Pick a object source to copy
function filterObjSrc obj = ( classof obj == object_src )
local objSrc = pickobject filter:filterObjSrc

-- If user picks an objectSrc
if objSrc != undefined then (
-- and the object src has 1 object in its list
if objSrc.object.count == 1 then (
-- Go through the selection for all objects that are geometryclass
local success = false
for obj in selection as array where superclassof obj == GeometryClass do (
SrcCopy = copy objSrc
SrcCopy.pos = obj.pos --copy and move object src to source object
SrcCopy.object = #(obj) --selection has to be an array
SrcCopy.parent = obj --parent object src to source object
success = true
) --end i loop

if not success then messageBox "You have to have some Geometry selected for this to work."
)
else messageBox "Your Object Source has to have 1 object in its ****ing list."
)
)
else messageBox "You have to have some geometry selected"
)
else messageBox "There are no Object Sources in your scene."
)

Enjoy! --if you want to create a button for it, just go to Maxscript -> New Script copy and paste everything into that window, then select and drag the code up to a toolbar

I see we (Frantic) aren't the only ones who did this. HAHA. Nice!! thanks for posting.

Mark

SoLiTuDe
09-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Well geeze... if I had known you guys already did it, then I would've just asked you for a copy. :)

PartiallyFrozen
09-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Well geeze... if I had known you guys already did it, then I would've just asked you for a copy. :)

Well ours was a little more customized for the effect, so yours is just as good.....and then we got a new feature in krakatoa and it eliminated the need for multiple fume emitters for what I was trying to create. Damn NDAs and their limitation of the cool talk!! :)

*cough* buy krakatoa *cough*

Mark

SoLiTuDe
09-22-2007, 12:43 AM
heh... we have krak, so you'll just have to break that nda and tell me what's up. :)

JohnnyRandom
09-22-2007, 02:15 AM
Well ours was a little more customized for the effect, so yours is just as good.....and then we got a new feature in krakatoa and it eliminated the need for multiple fume emitters for what I was trying to create. Damn NDAs and their limitation of the cool talk!! :)

*cough* buy krakatoa *cough*

Mark

Hmmm, bet I can guess:)... or maybe not:sad:

hehe, Ian funny to have a script swear at you:p

SoLiTuDe
09-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Johnny: It was worse, but then Eric (the main tools guy at Blur) made it a bit nicer.. only one got through. :D You can totally customize it though, change it to be extra polite if you want... or worse.

PartiallyFrozen
09-22-2007, 03:37 PM
heh... we have krak, so you'll just have to break that nda and tell me what's up. :)

I basically created one sim and then prt'd the hell out of it. Took that prt loader and then duplicated it and then moved it along a path. We also created a random offset in the timing so the prts looked like different sims....so 40 sims for the price of one! It wouldn't work for all cases just the thing we were doing with it.

Mark

SoLiTuDe
09-22-2007, 08:57 PM
You just gave me a great idea for a new script with fume.... gotta see if it's possible though.

Lassjus
09-24-2007, 10:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKuYE55XIlg

I still don't have internet, so I will just put this out while at school. Hope you like it.
It is a fridge crushing it way through the roof..

Lasse

nitrocom
09-24-2007, 08:45 PM
A very good job, but some prblem with fall of junks, I think they are much more faster than they have to be... Anyway, very good...

PartiallyFrozen
09-26-2007, 03:38 PM
So i am trying to get a good "inside of the smoke render". But i am having troubles getting a good look. I have cranked the resolution but its not really giving me a great look. Any advice on close up fume renders?

Mark

SoLiTuDe
09-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Mark: post some renders (if you're allowed) so we can see what's not looking good.

JohnnyRandom
09-26-2007, 05:17 PM
What is the scale of the shot?

I was meesing around with this the other week. Here is the scene.

Nothing great, but a start, could still use some work. Set to sim fairly quick, lower the grid spacing and dropping the advection stride will gain greater detail.

Divx - Clip (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/TEST_FFX_Smoke_02.avi)

EDIT:Heh, I probably should have asked what your definition of "good look" is :)

entrancea
09-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey guys.....wondering if you all have seen the FumeFX test in youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI

I was trying to get that smoke at the end of the video....The Car_tire burning smoke...But I tried a lot and still couldnt get a good result....Anyone knows how to get an effect like that:rolleyes:?

Thanks and Cheers.

PS:-I'm simming the smoke right now...Will post some video when I get it done...

jger
09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Download the scene file and see if that helps you:

http://gallery.radioactive3d.de/displayimage.php?album=26&pos=2

entrancea
09-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Download the scene file and see if that helps you:

http://gallery.radioactive3d.de/displayimage.php?album=26&pos=2

Ooohhh YEah......Xcellent.......Thanks to him for sharing his work......And thanks to you man for the link...

Cheers.

entrancea
10-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Allright Guys,Question:----I want my Fume to start simulating from -200th frame till 400th frame......Now I set everything in the start and end frame prameter in Fume...And when I sim it shows thats its simming as well but.....when I play the Monitoring window of Fume FX(That output preview window),it shows that Fume does not start from the -200th frame but from Frame 0:eek: .....Any guesses?

Thnanks And Cheers.

grury
10-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Guess you forgot to change the playback range.

entrancea
10-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Nope.......my playback range was specified to start at -200 and play till 400...:rolleyes:

JohnnyRandom
10-05-2007, 04:07 PM
How do you start a sim at a negative timeline number? I don't think it works that way (ie like particle flow, which your birth object can start with a negative frame number, but the forces you link to the flow don't become active until frame zero)

the solution, that comes to mind, would be to have your animation begin at frame 200 then run to frame 800, giving the sim 200 frames to "warm up".

EDIT: just ran a quick test, if you check the fume data folder it does indeed calculate the negative frames but it also plays them back beginning at frame zero.
I set it up to begin at negative -50 to run until frame 100.
I ran the sim it calculated frame -50 to 100.
I changed the timeline to a duration of 150 frames.
The playback fills the range. so frame 0 is actually frame -50 of the simulation.

It is doing what it normally does but basically just screwing up the sim frame numbering.

Debneyink
10-05-2007, 04:10 PM
why would you want it to start at a minus frame if you dont mind me asking?

i suggest shifting the keys of your other its and pieces

entrancea
10-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah....I guess I have to shift the animation after 200 frames.....Why I wanted to shift it is because I was just curious to see if I can start Fume from a negative value:D .....And you see what I mean Johnny!!I got the same thing as well.....it seems as is they are showing one thing and doing the other,but the output is correct.....So see like,if I start from -200 frame and I have an object whose animation starts from 100th frame....And upon simming Fume calculates from -200 to 200,which means 400 frames,right?So at the end of 300 frames Fume should start reacting with the object.......but Fume starts its output from 0,ok!So if I apply matte shadow upon the object and render Fume and the matted object then,the object starts to animate from 100th frame and the Fumes interaction should then start after 300th frame right?So then to avoid this I have to shift the animation of the object 200 frames and in the same way anything else,like say materials that might also be animated with the object!Kinda messy dont you think?Or with all this writing maybe I got confused....:eek:

JohnnyRandom
10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Something I did notice that you can do.
Run the sim output with the negative frame values.

Then just leave playback range at zero and it does work.

entrancea
10-06-2007, 04:38 AM
Hmmmm.....lemme see this....sounds logical enough.....thanks mate:thumbsup: ..

Cheers.

nitrocom
10-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey guys,

I surely know that fumefx can work with negative key values! I've even done an animation... It has to be something different! Playback range is the possible one...

entrancea
10-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Wassup Guy....Allright....I wanted to know a couple of things regarding network rendering of Fume FX.....When I sim in Fume it saves the simmed data on the Hard isk right?So since it reads the data while rendering do I have to keep it at a certain place in the network?I tried to do that but then became unsure as to how should I tell Fume to read the data from this new place....I tried to set it from the parameters in the General tab but due to that my grid spacing and size went off the chart...So...like theres a lot of question regarding network rendering Fume and is there anyone who knows the ways of the Fume:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce:?

jason-slab
10-12-2007, 12:38 PM
hey guys

i'm busy with this project at the moment and was wondering/trying to do one or two things;

adding the drag spacewarp to a FFx simple object, doesn't seem to have any effect? is this not suppored?

and applin different color gradients to FFX simple objects? eg. FFX smple obj1(white and green), FFX simple obj02 (red and blue), is this possible?

thx
jason