PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

fiveoften
06-04-2010, 11:58 AM
you dont have to apologize for nothing. thanks for the files

ThallDesign
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I can't wait to get home and check these out, I love seeing other people's projects and trying to figure them out. Thanks for sharing this!

ruchitinfushion
06-04-2010, 07:26 PM
... i still want to add a crazy little smart car to that..haha
Come on man do it...Can't wait any more to watch final render.

jimmy4d
06-05-2010, 02:43 AM
oh yeah.......... heres the burnout file.....I been really busy inside of TP............sorry...........enjoy.

ruchitinfushion
06-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Hey this is great huh...It's time to drift

Burritoh
06-07-2010, 12:19 AM
I have a simple sim I'm working on involving smoke only. No matter what I do, after a certain point in the simulation, I get a kind of "polarization" effect of the smoke.

Over a 300-frame animation, at time scale 1.0, here it is a few frames into it, then midway, then at the end.

http://timcrowson.smugmug.com/photos/892079232_ADG3e-XL.jpg

I'm using a PBomb but a Radial Wind does the same thing. My Pbomb effect is set to last constantly throughought the 300 frames. I just want to push the smoke back in a cone shape. I have offset the Pbomb from being lined up perfectly with everything else, thinking there may be some weird math error going on if everything is perfectly lined up, but the "polarization" occurs no matter where I place the space warp.

I'm still a new to Fume 2.0, so maybe there's a new behavior that differs from Fume 1.x. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Here are my settings:

http://timcrowson.smugmug.com/photos/892090248_ELm8R-O.jpg

And here's a quick Top view of the scene.

http://timcrowson.smugmug.com/photos/892079226_978nu-M.jpg

jimmy4d
06-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Not sure if its me or TP or fume yet, I'm so new to TP that it just maybe my setup but..... I'm just using a simple TP particle with fume. In the fume UI I can see my sim in preview window fine, but when I render, it renders like frame 3 of the sim and thats all. I had a TP and simple source together and got the same thing, when I removed the TP and the particle source and re simed and the simple source renders fine ,weird.........is there any known bugs or I thinks it me inside of TP.

any suggestion on making sure my tp is set up right, theres a couple of way to do this, just want to make sure i'm doing it right.

max 2011 64/ win7 64....

Glacierise
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Well, once it's simmed, TP has nothing to do with it, you're rendering the cache... Try merging the grid in a new scene and render that?

jimmy4d
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Well, once it's simmed, TP has nothing to do with it, you're rendering the cache... Try merging the grid in a new scene and render that?

Thanks Hristo, yeah thats what I'm thinking too...after the sim is done there should be no reason it would not render.....I will look at tonight.

Thanks

Enkido
06-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Hmm thanks for your posts, nice stuff! ;)
Alas, I have dis-improved it this weeekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hn7afbfjfI

Certainly, I'm confused about the wavelet turbulence strength. While the grid detail scale seems to be pretty clear cause it just lowers the spacing. I have problems to find the right settings for fire, smoke and fuel strength..I'm not sure if it makes sense to use high values, it looks quite different but not really better.
Any tips on this?

JohnnyRandom
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm using a PBomb but a Radial Wind does the same thing. My Pbomb effect is set to last constantly throughought the 300 frames. I just want to push the smoke back in a cone shape. I have offset the Pbomb from being lined up perfectly with everything else, thinking there may be some weird math error going on if everything is perfectly lined up, but the "polarization" occurs no matter where I place the space warp.

I'm still a new to Fume 2.0, so maybe there's a new behavior that differs from Fume 1.x. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Firstly, if you want directional from a pBomb use the Planar type or cylinder at the very least instead of spherical.

Secondly if you constantly emit force in a Fume Grid, you need to do so with caution as those forces keep building in the simulation unless you decrease them. Running a pBomb through a grid for 300 frames is probably a bit excessive, try a burst instead, like 10 frames.

In the attached example there are 3 pBomb all with varying durations all with a set decay of 50 units, turn on one at a time and sim, notice how in pBomb01, continues to move even after the pBomb force is no longer active, now try the other two and see what happens ;) Note: is it a low res sim so it does sim out quick.

You could also use just a simple source (that little arrow on the top determines the object velocity direction) and/or particle system

Burritoh
06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks, Johnny. I had been using a Cylindrical PBomb and had set it to Spherical for the screen cap I think. I got much better results with the Cylindrical indeed.

I'll take a look at your scene file. Thanks!

jimmy4d
06-08-2010, 03:13 AM
hmm this has gotta be some sorta bug.......only happens with tp3....WTF will not render even after I created a new scene and merged old container in. ok now this is weird I took the same scene switch to Vray and all works fine, I don't like vray and fume thought.......why do I always get this shit.:shrug:......... who is using TP3 with max2011 64.

http://www.3dglove.com/10/web/tpfume/tp_fume.html

MrFreitag
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
hi,
i have two emitters and two gravitys-objects. is it possible to link one gavity to one emitters, like the exclusive links in realflow(on gravity influence one emitter)?
thx. tom.

Glacierise
06-08-2010, 11:45 AM
No, you can't. The gravity is working on the whole grid.

@Jimmy - You should report it. Meanwhile, if you have Vray - it renders it kinda ok. Actually, there are different problems rendering Fume with every renderer :D

MrFreitag
06-08-2010, 12:04 PM
thanks for your fast replay Glacierise!! ...i want get a nice smoke collision with very big twirl (more a graphical way!). with the gravity in z-directing the nice gas mushroom growing up (in z-direction). what i want is the growing of the gas mushrooms in a opposed direction (my idea was the two gravity in opposed direction linked to the emitters). Is there any other approach for this problem?? thanks in advance. tom

Glacierise
06-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Do multiple grids! In a real situation - meaning you have more then a teapot or box - you always use several grids to make the different elements of an effect.

MrFreitag
06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
ok multiple grids sounds nice...maybe its a silly question, but ist there any particle collision between the two grids??

Glacierise
06-08-2010, 03:00 PM
No problem, you can use the same particle source. It's just about adding material to the voxels.

jimmy4d
06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
@Jimmy - You should report it. Meanwhile, if you have Vray - it renders it kinda ok. Actually, there are different problems rendering Fume with every renderer :D

Thanks man,
Gonna try a reinstall first, then a report for sure. Yeah I stay away for all renders but scaline with fume. Just seem to work best for me.

srosefx
06-08-2010, 06:37 PM
im new to this thread and it has helped alot so far.

cheers
simon

amckay
06-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Just another quick test, just waiting for this show to be over so I can actually sit down and have a bit of a play with fume now I have a computer again. This is still Fume 1, just playing with scattering and other values.
There's a video up on vimeo as well of it

srosefx
06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
hey chaps i wonder if anyone can help me.

im totally new to fume fx so please, kid gloves if possible.

I am trying to accomplish this effect
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/stallion-dust.jpg
http://images.bimedia.net/images/090508landingkval-1.jpg
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/92705328.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D082AE491D76A778257551EC3050F46511289996FCDA98F79EE30A760B0D811297

and i have seen this animation --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnmouki8tNk
how did he do it?

i have animated these pflow particles with an array of motors surrounding them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2bxtMLxGk

any helpers thanks fellas

simon
i really dont want someone to do the work for me but helpt o get me started would benefit me massively

SoLiTuDe
06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
What I've done in the past (and would probably start with )... Use a cylinder source linked on the XY to the helicopter, pointed at the ground, and using a lot of radial emission / some direction emission. You can also use object distance in the smoke channel (or wire it up on a map) on the source to emit more smoke as the helicopter gets closer. You can also, for more variety, add some another source to the blades, that push only velocity and some temperature down towards the ground (no smoke, or it'd look wierd)

^Allan -- that looks really good! (quite badass)... right up until the moment it turns into smoke! :)

JohnnyRandom
06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Great ball of fire ;), like those nice little streamers too :)

srosefx
06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
thanks Ian,

sounds complicated to a fume virgin, is it possible to use my pflow system to drive the emission of smoke/dust on a plane surface, then the same particles could also drive the motion of the fume smoke?

is there any documentation on this subject as im having trouble deciphering the help on fume with driving motion i.e plug-in in the velocity(motion?) of the pflow.

SoLiTuDe
06-08-2010, 07:54 PM
thanks Ian,

sounds complicated to a fume virgin, is it possible to use my pflow system to drive the emission of smoke/dust on a plane surface, then the same particles could also drive the motion of the fume smoke?

is there any documentation on this subject as im having trouble deciphering the help on fume with driving motion i.e plug-in in the velocity(motion?) of the pflow.

Sure you can... just use the Particle Src (create -> helpers -> fumefx) you can create temp and smoke and/or just velocity from the particles... you'll likely have to crank the particle count pretty high to get a good result.

PexElroy
06-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Great smoke fx, for a heli landing, try to push the smoke off a ground/wall/creature, add in two or three other noises or hidden objects to blow it around or an animated vortex helper; then tweak with a high spacing for fast results, to get the timing you're after, lower spacing for a final test range ;)

Sick pyro blast Allan :drool:

srosefx
06-08-2010, 09:05 PM
how do i make my particles influence the smoke in fume?
thanks

SoLiTuDe
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
That's what the particle source is for... like I said earlier, you can use the particle source to drive values in the fume grid. (you can affect velocity only if you'd like even) :surprised

srosefx
06-08-2010, 09:54 PM
hi, i have played around with some of the setting and tried to understand the help file (im a big advocate of learn by example)
ill render a test and show you what i have come up with.

thanks for your patience with a fool.
cheers
simon

Cryptite
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Just another quick test, just waiting for this show to be over so I can actually sit down and have a bit of a play with fume now I have a computer again. This is still Fume 1, just playing with scattering and other values.

Looks pretty sweet in the fire stages. Were you using a really low-opacity/density fire gradient? Seems as if you can kind of see through to the back of the plume right as it starts out.

jimmy4d
06-08-2010, 11:36 PM

sweet Allan.............Great detail for sure.

wreath
06-09-2010, 12:26 AM

Awesome fireballs!

Darknon
06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Yo Allan. Sick details... One question... How? What's your container resolution?

AtrusDni
06-09-2010, 11:59 PM
I, like Darknon, would also like to know. Could you post some settings that you used?

amckay
06-10-2010, 01:28 AM
cheers guys, just a test. I want to have a fiddle with some fumey stuff but haven't really had the time yet.
It's fume 1 with 400x? grid? I've been doing some pretty swank stuff for a massive train pile up on a movie recently and I wanted to try to replicate the idea at home

One more week then I can finally play around a bit : )

Thanks guys, love all the work you guys have been doing!!!

Daniel-B
06-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Super 8? :)

jojo1975
06-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Dear All,
do you know if fumefx is compatible with fryrender ? I was going to render a scene using fry and leaving out vray but I don't know about fume FX :) thanks in advance for reply (I've already checked the thread and online and ofund nothing about it)

Glacierise
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think that's a great idea :)

MrFreitag
06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
hi everyone ....particles drives me crazy :]

i cached a fumefx-driven pflow-stream (prtfiles)...and I checked in the krakatoa-renderdialog ID-channel...but why to the hell: i reload the cached particle stream in pflow(with the krakatoa PRT birth)but pflow can not reading the ID-Channel....the only Channel I got is the color channel?? please help me...big thanks in advance. tom

JonathanFreisler
06-10-2010, 12:18 PM
@ srosefx

I got your youtube question also.

Basically where ever the helicopter goes particles are born on the ground underneath it. Those particles live for around a single frame and are added to a particle source in fume. Then there is just a spherical simple source attached to the helicopter with a heap of directional and radial velocity, to act as sort of a wind. This means the helicopter animation can change and both the creation of dust and helicopter directional wind will adjust accordingly.

The rest is getting a balance between all the settings right. The same method is described by multiple people on the forum, same same but different really, Ian covered it quite well. But I'm telling you just how I did it. If your learning fume I suggest trying it yourself before I hand over the max file. But just email if you need it.

jojo1975
06-10-2010, 12:32 PM
So what's the best thing to do ? use vray for fumefx and leave fry apart ;) ? do a scanline pass for the smoke and add it later ?

Darknon
06-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Allan: When I set my resolution to 400x, then it still looks like a pretty low res sim. To me, your sim looks like a 1200x simulation. Does the scale of the scene have influence on this maybe? The details in your fire when it goes from fire to smoke is awesome, is that because of a really low burn rate maybe?

EDIT:
Oh, and how much smoke are you creating from the fire and from the emitter? and what smoke density in the render setting?

JohnnyRandom
06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
hi everyone ....particles drives me crazy :]

i cached a fumefx-driven pflow-stream (prtfiles)...and I checked in the krakatoa-renderdialog ID-channel...but why to the hell: i reload the cached particle stream in pflow(with the krakatoa PRT birth)but pflow can not reading the ID-Channel....the only Channel I got is the color channel?? please help me...big thanks in advance. tom

Try dropping in a fresh Pflow PRT Update op. That should do the trick, adding removing PRTs from the Pflow ops sometimes causes odd behaviour, the old PRT will stick instead of being replaced.

srosefx
06-10-2010, 06:42 PM
@JonathanFreisler
i had a go at what you said it looks promising actually, but im having problems making my smoke/dust disappear, it just lingers around too much,
i have min dens --0.01
dissipation 100
diffusion 10

am i doing this right by adjusting those settings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPBGD31ySas

JohnnyRandom
06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
dissipation 100

there is a bug in smoke dissipation @ 100 use 99.0 instead. ;)

srosefx
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
rotor wash update test 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85WEFGOo-4Q

next is a dynamic change in dust emission by hight of chopper.
any advice welcome
simon

adom86
06-10-2010, 10:25 PM
rotor wash update test 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85WEFGOo-4Q

next is a dynamic change in dust emission by hight of chopper.
any advice welcome
simon

Good work buddy! might give that a go my self! :)

tool2heal
06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I have not been really keeping track of how your doing it, but if your following the same method i have seen before, your birthing particles, off the bottom of the chopper that hit the ground and spawn? and then pumping just the spawn particles into fume with a simple source with .1 temp aimed at the center to get the motion right?

so I would think that the higher the chopper flies the less particles hit the ground and spawn?

SoLiTuDe
06-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Object distance on the smoke channel and/or velocity is probably the easiest, or connecting the values an expression controller would be really easy as well.

srosefx
06-11-2010, 11:37 AM
hi
i put together a quick scene with collision buildings and a dynamic rotor blade to swirl up the dust.
let me know what you think, i wish i could figure out how to make this look better with a higher resolution solve, but it doesnt look as billowy more like dry ice!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibqbo3SOdew

does anyone have any tips to disperse the smoke faster? my smoke dissipation is maxed out and after 400 frames its still there, its a shame i had to turn down the opacity to 0.01 then i loose the density at the plume stage.
thanks to everyone that helped me along
simon

Glacierise
06-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Starts off too narrow, shading sux (put some lights, shadows and less opacity). To disperse it - put a lot of dissipation AND a high threshold, so it can start dissipate sooner.

Glacierise
06-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd try layering 5-6 grids at the end also - will break it up.

JohnnyRandom
06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
does anyone have any tips to disperse the smoke faster? my smoke dissipation is maxed out and after 400 frames its still there, its a shame i had to turn down the opacity to 0.01 then i loose the density at the plume stage.
thanks to everyone that helped me along
simon

What are your dissipation settings?

srosefx
06-11-2010, 05:40 PM
i will post my scene file so you can see what im doing wrong.
unfortunately my max memory on sims is only 209mb so its quite limited.

my smoke values are
5.0-diss min dens
5.0-strength
3.0-diffusion

JohnnyRandom
06-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Well your values aren't maxed out :)

First lets understand what the values do:

A voxel, you need to know what a voxel is. It is a 3 dimensional form of a pixel. That little cube in the bottom corner of your grid is the voxel size. Your grid is split up into how ever many voxels you set it to. A 100W x 100L x 100H with a spacing of 1.0 grid contains 100 cubed voxels or 1 million voxels. So all of your settings are based on a per voxel basis, Fume calculates every single voxel with the settings that you apply.

Minimum Density is for instance if you have 10.0 values of smoke (example: you generate smoke with a simple source at a set value of 10.0) in a voxel, if your Min Density setting is at 5.0, the smoke will only begin to dissipate when the voxel contains 5.0 or less values of smoke.

This density value is constantly changing because of forces that are imposed on the grid like gravity/buoyancy/temperature/turbulence/spacewarps/ect. So it there were absolutely no forces to move the smoke around, the smoke in the 10.0 value voxel the smoke would never ever dissipate.

The Dissipation Strength Value is the easiest one to understand, it is simply how fast the smoke is going to dissipate once the Minimum Density value is reached. So going to the above example setting of 10.0 values of smoke in the voxel and a Dissipation setting of 99.999 if the smoke density in the voxel never gets to 5.0 it will never dissipate. BUT as soon as the smoke density in the voxel goes below 5.0 the smoke will immediately dissipate.

Diffusion simply diffuses the voxel much like adding a blur to a pixel in Photoshop. That is the only way I now how to explain it. The blur has the most density in the center and has a falloff to zero at the outer edges. So adding Diffusion takes that value of 10.0 and spreads it out (according to whatever algorithm it uses). Also note when you use diffusion it is constant, so the original voxel that contained 10.0 values of smoke is now spreading to neighboring voxels populating them with smoke, which are then being diffused again, and spreading to the neighboring voxels and so on.

So to your settings:
It is necessary to know how much smoke your sources are emitting. When you know that value it is easier to understand.

5.0-diss min dens
5.0-strength
3.0-diffusion

Your source is generating 30.0 smoke values and the wind is blowing 10.0 values (or whatever is moving your smoke around) the smoke is only going to dissipate in a voxel at a rate of 5.0 when the smoke value in that voxel less than 5.0.

Make sense?

Here is a little illustration to help:
http://vimeo.com/12498715

If you don't understand anything let me know I will try to explain it better. :)

jimmy4d
06-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Here is a little illustration to help:
http://vimeo.com/12498715 (http://vimeo.com/12498715)

sweet mate nice info mam..........:beer:

cheerioboy
06-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Has anyone else had meltdowns with the FumeFX Birth in pflow not following their particles unless they increased the smoke amount? Well this specifically for a sim that was using only smoke and no fuel. The pflow birth and follow refuses to appear until a certain amount of smoke is built up. I believe its also an issue in Fume 2.0

cheerioboy
06-16-2010, 09:07 PM
JohnnyRandom just cleared this up in another forum post:

LOL, it works just fine, you need to SET your Minimum Smoke Value in the FumeFX Follow operator, that is what all of those parameters are for ;) not just to look cool :D

For instance if you are only birthing 1.0 smoke per voxel from your source and the FumeFX Birth operator-> Smoke->Minimum Value is set to 2.0 you will see NO birthing of particles, if you set the Minimum Value to 1.0 it WILL born particles because you have 1.0 smoke per voxel, unless of course you kill that smoke too fast with dissipation. Then adjust the Minimum Value accordingly.

doh!

PexElroy
06-16-2010, 10:28 PM
kickbutt video JohnnyRandom and info! :thumbsup:

Can't wait for when FFX is real-time and GPU driven, someday... :twisted:

jimmy4d
06-28-2010, 03:30 AM
haha ...still working on this..........need to look more like tires spinnig than a leaky jag muffler.haha..fun stuff.........http://www.3dglove.com/10/web/bigger/jag1.html (http://www.3dglove.com/10/web/bigger/jag1.html).

jimmy4d
07-03-2010, 02:52 PM
ok still playing with this, had to change a lot........http://www.3dglove.com/10/web/jag2/jag2.html

Daniel-B
07-04-2010, 01:59 AM
That's looking really good, James. Nice work.

JohnnyRandom
07-04-2010, 03:29 AM
You go jimmy :) nice progression

fireknght2
07-05-2010, 12:46 AM
haha ...still working on this..........need to look more like tires spinnig than a leaky jag muffler.haha..fun stuff.........http://www.3dglove.com/10/web/bigger/jag1.html (http://www.3dglove.com/10/web/bigger/jag1.html).

Gonna be a B**** putting down the rubber but greatness on the effect

jimmy4d
07-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Pixel Magic, Johnny Random, fireknght2, thanks guys. This is harder than it looks. had to create two simple sources to do the bottom of the tires to react to the ground, then two object sources, with an object that was the outer shape of each tire. Worked fine if there was no movement on the source, but once there was movement had to use wind to keep in control......very touchy.....lots of fun thanks mate....:buttrock:

floopyb
07-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Finally got my hands on a trailer for some work I did last year... heaps of fumeFX and Rayfire stuff in there!

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/x7lHueerVmI/default.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7lHueerVmI)

This work was done at ZeroOne Animation (http://www.zerooneanimation.com/) as a Stereoscopic museum installation.

renaissance01
07-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Nice work Jordan, is this still showing in Melbourne?

floopyb
07-06-2010, 02:04 AM
No, unfortunately it has finished :( But I believe it may go on the road at some point... maybe to NZ? not sure...

jimmy4d
07-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Jordon I remember I seen that a while back.....very very sweet man..............

GeoffDuncan
07-06-2010, 06:37 AM
I saw this when it came to NZ earlier this year, it was spectacular!!!

Great work for sure. Also the breakdowns on Youtube are amazing too :)

adom86
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Hey guys!

Anyone having issues since version 2 came out with regards to rendering an image sequence. I can render snapshots just fine but problems as I start a render within a frame range (i.e. 0-125).

As soon as it gets to renderin a frame with fume in it, the multi scatter box comes up (calculating the light etc) and it shows the values at 1,1,4 and then crashes max everytime.

Just wonderin if you guys have come across this.

Max 2010 x64
Fume 2.0a x64

Tried it with scanline/vray

Cheers ! :)

*Edit* hmm appears not to like frames that has no fume content in. Works fine by startin on the frame in which the fume sequence starts.. sorry for wastin ya time! :P

cboath
07-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm probably missing something easy here, but...

I've got two grids in one scene. A small one and a large one. The small one overlaps the large one for a few frames. When rendering the frames where there's overlap, you can see the sim box blocking out a portion of the large sim. What do you do to get rid of that?

My sims are pretty simple, one source object to a sim box. The only issue is the overlap. This is driving me nuts!

---------

Found it - Autovolume in MR. Doh!

cboath
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
I couldn't find this with a search, but, is there a trick to get fluid mapping to work with mental ray? Or does it simply not work? I see the fluid mapping affect the preview window but it has no effect on the rendering via MR. If i switch to scaline, i see the effect. Is it a waste of time to work at it? Whether the size of my noise is .001, .1, 1, or 25 or anything in between i see no change on the rendering using MR.

augur
07-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi guys, i have been working with fume 2 recently and i have noticed that i got some weird super dense smoke voxel ( like flickering dots ) , when and where, i emit from fire. Didn't had before with fume 1.
Does someone ever experienced that ,or even better, found a solution for it....?

thanks for your time

augur
07-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Ok so just for you to know ; using the new feature " based emission on temp " even with very low temp threshold seems to get ride of the problem....

amckay
07-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Augur, I personally haven't experienced any flickering issues it seems to work fine for me. however that is good to know just in case it ever happens.

Are you refering to Temperature Based: ? This feature is for controlling where smoke is generated, essentially as the fire cools it can create smoke, and in 2.0 this temperature based feature allows you to specifically set the threshhold for when it actually begins to generate the smoke, so you can give it a more specific temperature clamp to control it.
It is a very useful feature to prevent creating too much unnecessary smoke, however its surprising to hear it prevents flickering, but I'll definitely try it out.

Fluid mapping can sometimes cause flickering, as well as shadow mapped shadows at times, or sometimes your illumination maps if they aren't baking.

But that is definitely some worthy advice to check into, how are you finding 2.0 so far compared to 1.0 are you enjoying it?

augur
07-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Hi,

Those denses dots / voxels are directly in the sim, so no fluid mapping problem ( anyway i didn't use it)
It's not really flickering , ( it causes flickering if you retime it ....) It's some weird voxels who received really dense emission when they neighbours don't.... the result looks like advected (can we say that in english ? ) particles in your fire who fade away with the time ....( I will post pictures when i i have the time )
I guess it happens when temperature is really close to 0 , and the "Temperature Based" get rid of them ,even with very low threshold ( 0,5 ).
I don't have tons of experience with Fume 2 , so i can not tell if it's a common problem, but as far as i am concern , this feature will be on now....
For my experience with Fume 2 so far ... apart of the wavelet and the retime nothing really change... a bit more stable in terms of flickering shadows ," the void" being a bit a dissapointment ( kind of a Bool value , i would really prefer a simple multiplication factor for each channel....)

BUT the wavelet and the retime makes this version a must have ;
I won't even talk about how cool is the wavelet process , since it appears in couples fluids simulators at my work...
For the retime ( and the wavelet,i forgot the container emission also ) it makes life really easier with clients. Having a flexible workflow in term of speed and details without big changes in the sim overall shape , be able to quickly change timing of a sim without lossing everything at the end of a prod , or submit lowres sims you will based yourself on, at the beginning of the prod, all that makes this version much more pro oriented ( in theory, i make it looks like a bit too beautiful , but you get my point...)

HornBerger
07-17-2010, 03:45 PM
hi!

i am having problem doing a fume fx simulation. i am using fume fx 1.2 and 3d studio max 2011 if i reduce my step size (voxel size) to 0.4 (when i set the voxel size to 0.4 it says Sim up to: 1328 MB and render up to 760 MB) max will crash after doing a couple of frames.... :S i am doing the simulation on an old pc (4 gb ram and 2 cores) however i am able to sim the same simulation with a voxel size of 0.7 without crashing max... what is happening here ? is it a memory issue?

thanks!

jimmy4d
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
hi!

i am having problem doing a fume fx simulation. i am using fume fx 1.2 and 3d studio max 2011 if i reduce my step size (voxel size) to 0.4 (when i set the voxel size to 0.4 it says Sim up to: 1328 MB and render up to 760 MB) max will crash after doing a couple of frames.... :S i am doing the simulation on an old pc (4 gb ram and 2 cores) however i am able to sim the same simulation with a voxel size of 0.7 without crashing max... what is happening here ? is it a memory issue?

thanks!
Yeah looks like ram to me. Your spacing being so low, sounds like your pc is dogging down. Are you running 64 bit? I run max 2011/64 8 gigs of ram with duel duelcores and thats not enough to keep my spacing down as low as you have. Hell I even went from a 600w to 1000w power supply. that made a huge differences, during my sim's max would bog the hell out of my ECC ram. max would crash or normaly a box will come up let you know your out of ram......(I too have an older sever board).

HornBerger
07-19-2010, 06:25 PM
thanks for the post.. i am running 32 bit windows (because i have only 4gb ram so 64 bit O.S wouldn't be helpful ) however i was able to get the effect by keep the spacing to 0.62 (lowest spacing without getting fumefx to crash, i also gave max (and all my programs) more memory by enabling the /3GB switch), and using fluid mapping to add some extra detail in the fire with a noise map

anyways i have another quick question... i am trying to burn 1 candle with the flame of another candle.. i have 2 simple source emitters one with fuel and temprature ( i.e the first candle is burning) the second simple src (for the second candle) has fuel but no temprature (so the second candle is initially not burning but it has fuel)
I have set the ignition temprature to 50 and the temprature for the first src is 825 and fuel amount for both is 100
next i move my second candle near the first simple src (first candles flame) and the second src ignites (more flame) but the moment i move my second simple src (second candle) away from the first simple src (first candle) the second candles flame dies. Now i can animate the temprature for the second candle but is there another way to do this i.e make the second src inherit temprature from the first source (for large number of candles trying to burn from already lit large number of candles) ?

thanks! :)

feldy
07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Right off the bat. Your 32 bit windows will only hold 3gb ram with the 3gb switch. you would be better off in a 64bit os that takes use of all your 4gb ram.

HornBerger
07-19-2010, 09:03 PM
thanks for the post

Right off the bat. Your 32 bit windows will only hold 3gb ram with the 3gb switch. you would be better off in a 64bit O.S that takes use of all your 4gb ram.

AFAIK It does not matter which operating system i use. every user mode program in windows O.S (32 or 64 bit, given 4 GB ram) without the 3gb switch has 2 GB address space the other 2GB address space is used by the system (reference from "win32 api programming" by steven roman)
By enabling the /3GB boot switch i can give every user mode program 3GB memory restricting system memory to 1 GB in a 32 bit environment every memory cell is indexed by 32 bits and in a 64 bit O.S every memory cell is accessed by a 64 bit address. therefore a 32 bit OS can access a maximum of 2^32 memory cells in 1 clock cycle limiting RAM to 4GB (4GB = 2^32 = 4294967296 bytes) a 64 bit O.S (running on a 64 bit processor) on the other hand can access 2^64 memory cells ( = 1.844*10^19 bytes = therefore u can have a maximum of 1.7*10^10 GB ram!!) but since i only have 4GB ram it can be accessed by both 64bit and 32 bit O.S (personally i feel xp is faster compared to windows 7 but i do not have experimental data)

ps: still having problem lighting 1 candle from another :( in fume fx

cheers! :)

NahuelL
07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi!
In the simulation tab you have to set the heat production to a very high value, something like 1200, so now when the candle crosses the another candle, it will raise the second candle temperature of it (let's say 10) over the ignition temperature of 50 and the candle starts burning.

cheers!

HornBerger
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
set the heat production to a very high value,
thanks that worked !! :) (i also had to lower the ignition temperature to 0.1) hmm. so heat production controls how much temperature is produced by the source emitter, which also made the flame shoot up really high i countered that by increasing velocity dampening and reducing buoyancy.. to get an acceptable result... nyways thanks again :)

cheers :)

NahuelL
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
exactly!
you're welcome! :)

sleepydragon
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Howzit all

can someone, anyone PLEASE help me make some train smoke,im a fumeFX noob and have been pooping in my pants the last month trying and trying :cry:

any bit of advice would be most appreciated :applause:

thanks in advance....sleepy out

depleteD
07-20-2010, 11:42 PM
I remember seeing a radial Gravity script in here a long time a go, does anyone have a link? It set the forces in the maxscript sim function things.....

-Andrew

Glacierise
07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
You might try that: http://www.maxplugins.de/r2010_files/watje/GravityPlus_Max2010.zip

NahuelL
07-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I remember seeing a radial Gravity script in here a long time a go, does anyone have a link? It set the forces in the maxscript sim function things.....

-Andrew

Check this out: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5899120&postcount=8

AlBrown
07-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey guys, I've been a long time viewer of this thread and been working on my debut explosion! Fume is definitely hard to get started in and it took forever just to get to this point, and it still feels lousy. Tell me what yall think.

http://abrownportfolio.com/images/bombtest.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Xfx1-omog)

It feels like it slows down too fast and maybe the fire should rise more and last longer. Also feels like I should add another layer that expands outwards. I dunno I am lost right now.

fiveoften
07-22-2010, 03:52 PM
looks very cool. can you share the maxfile?

Rbin
07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi , i am new in fumefx . I have some problem in initial state in fumeFx 2.0.

Here is my work flow

1 . generate a low resolution fumeFx smoke
2 . then i simulate Wavelet Turbulence .

it look greats.

3 . now i set a initial state file from the first low resolution fumefx that i just simulate( ext. frame 80)

4 . generate initial state now , it is no problem at all.

** now, how do i simulate Wavelet Turbulence from the initial state ? because when i click simulate Wavelet , it will start simulate from the beginning but not the initial state that i just generate.

Did anyone know how to Solve it? thanks you very much :bowdown: :bowdown:

p/s sorry for my poor English

NahuelL
07-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi! First you need to sim in Default mode from the initial state. After that, you can sim Wavelet Turbulence.

cheers!

Rbin
07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
hi , thanks for reply. Is that I set initial state from the file then just press simulate at the default mode , don't use the initial state(simulator) ? thanks :thumbsup:

erm.. i try edi but it is same. after i start default similation( from intial state), then i use start wavelet simution, it will not follow my initial state , just like simulate from the begin. Am i miss out someting? :sad:

sleepydragon
07-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi

does anyone know whats best way to go about making smoke come out of a train using Fumefx ,like in the reference below? should i use pflow to drive the smoke or will i be able "if i continue to try" do this just by using the fumeFX fluids?could someone please help with some settings maybe :sad: ...i will really appreciate it. :buttrock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OgSNQOTw2U

martaaay
07-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Has anybody played with the new FFX 2.0 features?

jimmy4d
07-23-2010, 02:06 AM
hey alex. looks great man.............I know what ya mean about how long it takes to get the hang of it ...........but it's worth it aye..........good to see a michiganer on this post too........:D

Glacierise
07-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Hey guys, I've been a long time viewer of this thread and been working on my debut explosion! Fume is definitely hard to get started in and it took forever just to get to this point, and it still feels lousy. Tell me what yall think.

I'd ditch the rising pillars. They feel way out of scale, the shapes are too simple, they don't contribute. Also, you need better detail in the firey body of the explosion, it would be better if you emit from a more interesting shape. The shouckwave rises way too high for dust wave (as it's colored) and it expands much too quick. I like the smoke expansion though :) Hammer it on!

Glacierise
07-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi

does anyone know whats best way to go about making smoke come out of a train using Fumefx ,like in the reference below? should i use pflow to drive the smoke or will i be able "if i continue to try" do this just by using the fumeFX fluids?could someone please help with some settings maybe :sad: ...i will really appreciate it. :buttrock:

That's a bit of a tough case, since you have a long smoke trail, hence too big grid. There are several options:

-do it with afterburn (I'd try that first)
-do it with a FFX killbox, if the trail is not long inside the camera view. A FFX killbox is a simple source that SETs every channel, and velocities to 0 in the portion of a long grid that are no longer in the cam view. Then you crank up the adaptive parameter, and FFX will cut the grid to sim a smaller box that actually is manageable
-make one low-res sim for the long portion, and one high-res for the portion near the chimney. Would work, but blending them might be tricky.

Sim-wise, wou'll need a lot of velocity in the start - from simple sources or particles. Then you'd need very litle buoyancy, maybe even velocity damping, and some dissipation.

HornBerger
07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi

hmm.. how about using a particle source.. make the particles emit from the chimney (using a position object and speed by surface operators set the divergence in speed by surface to around 20 to 30 you could also try animating the rate of particles emitted with a wave form controller to fake the effect of more smoke being produced as more coal is burned, apart from that you could try adding in a wind space warp with low strength pushing the particles backward and add in some turbulence too) create a fume fx particle source and select this particle emitter and set high radius values like 6 - 12 also you could try increasing the amount of particles too and set the smoke amount fairly high around 5 - 12 maybe.. apart from that you could set high temprature amount and buouyancy to push the smoke out (disable simulate fuel) and it wouldnt hurt t to increase vorticity to 1,

cboath
07-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Can you not network render to yourself with FFX 1.2? I get no errors, but just a blank rendering (nothing else in the scene but the fume element). Do you have to buy a network render license for a stand alone machine?

JohnnyRandom
07-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Do you have to buy a network render license for a stand alone machine?

Only if you are using Mental Ray, even then I believe you get two free Sim Licenses with the purchase of a single seat, at least that is how I remember it, can't tell you for sure about that, I don't use mr and fume together.

cboath
07-23-2010, 09:58 PM
I thought the sim licenses were for calculating the sim on another machine or two, not rendering. If they work for both, i may try and give that a shot if I can track down the serial number info (IT has it, not me). I'll give scanline a shot, too, since the shot is fume only.

Thanks.

JohnnyRandom
07-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Ooops, duh, not sure what I was thinking when I typed that, you are correct. MR is local only unless you buy extra licenses, LOL, like I said I never use the two together.

Scanline is fully capable, unless you need the GI, and you can even fake that for the most part with some standard lights.

sleepydragon
07-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi

Glasierise,HornBerger

Thanks Alot guys..really appreciate your time.

Glasierise-Afterburn sounds like a plan its just that i dont have enough time to learn other packages and i really want to master fumefx one day so need to learn to get it right with fumefx.never heard of the killbox "me is noob sowy"its just that the train is never out of shot,its a wide camera angle so u see it all the time but will definitely keep that one in mind for the other shots.tx and the low-res and high-res sims have been on my mind for sometime,its just like u said tricky to blend and might work for the wide shots but then i will need to re-strategise for the close up shots-super thanks though

Hornberger-thanks man i've actually tried that and got descent results...but not quite what i wanted,will probably have to go back to this attempt and work the plfow setting abit more.but super thanks

another thing also how do i make my smoke trail grow in size(like swell)in time as it
dissipates?will soon post some of my results so you can see where im at. :thumbsup:

Glacierise
07-24-2010, 05:50 PM
another thing also how do i make my smoke trail grow in size(like swell)in time as it
dissipates?will soon post some of my results so you can see where im at. :thumbsup:

Dissipation and diffusion will do that for you ;)

sleepydragon
07-26-2010, 08:46 AM
cool thanks i will give them a try today :)

AlBrown
07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I'd ditch the rising pillars. They feel way out of scale, the shapes are too simple, they don't contribute. Also, you need better detail in the firey body of the explosion, it would be better if you emit from a more interesting shape. The shouckwave rises way too high for dust wave (as it's colored) and it expands much too quick. I like the smoke expansion though :) Hammer it on!

Thanks for the advice. By emit from a more interesting shape, do you mean emit from geometry and try to animate the expansion that way? I just used simple and particle sources.

I think for my next explosion I am going to try to exactly model something real, now that I know how the system works.

NahuelL
08-03-2010, 03:37 PM
after i start default similation( from intial state), then i use start wavelet simution, it will not follow my initial state , just like simulate from the begin. Am i miss out someting? :sad:

Today I was looking at the FumeFX help and found this:

Set Initial State File - Using this option you can select file that will be used to start the simulation when using "Initial State" Sim. Mode (works in BackBurner mode as well). You can choose .fxd and .fdc file types for inital state. Notice that you can only start from the Default cache types and not Wavelet.

em3
08-04-2010, 04:13 AM
Hey guys, I am a 3D hobbyist just getting started with FumeFX/particles and was hoping to get some insight on this scene I shot the other day. I would like the fume sim to throw particles off of each large piece of the wall but I am not sure how to accomplish this. Can Fume do it or can I use PFlow or Thinking Particles for it?

Test Shot 13MB (http://www.treadster.com/gowTest.avi)

What would you do here to make this shot look awesome?

Thanks!

edit: OK I added some objects to my source but they only appear to blow through the sim instead of emit particles themselves. Also, how do I render an alpha of my sim? I see the Fume Smoke in the render elements but it does not appear to render the alpha. I will carry on :)

Cryptite
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Normally, I wouldn't suggest Ian's (Solitude) work because it's usually awful ;), But when handling large groups of debris and you want to emit fume from each piece, Fume doesn't have an easy way to handle this without alot of clicking. He wrote a script that will help here (http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/fume-object-source-manager)

You can emit particles from those chunks in PFlow and Thinking Particles if you want, but if you're just wanting dust coming off the debris chunks, fume can do it.

The Fume FX Smoke/Fire elements will just show you, well, exactly what they say. If you want to isolate just the fume from your scene and get the proper alpha, you'll want to matte out everything else in the scene.

Otherwise, the shot is awesome! Did you use madcar or something to animate the car?

SoLiTuDe
08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Normally, I wouldn't suggest Ian's (Solitude) work because it's usually awful ;), But when handling large groups of debris and you want to emit fume from each piece, Fume doesn't have an easy way to handle this without alot of clicking. He wrote a script that will help here (http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/fume-object-source-manager)

^^ Thanks. :D Though, Fume2 now has multiple object support built into the obj src iirc...

JohnnyRandom
08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
^^ Thanks. :D Though, Fume2 now has multiple object support built into the obj src iirc...

...and it kicks ass :buttrock: (all over the butt rock smiley today)

em3
08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
You can emit particles from those chunks in PFlow and Thinking Particles if you want, but if you're just wanting dust coming off the debris chunks, fume can do it.

The Fume FX Smoke/Fire elements will just show you, well, exactly what they say. If you want to isolate just the fume from your scene and get the proper alpha, you'll want to matte out everything else in the scene.

Otherwise, the shot is awesome! Did you use madcar or something to animate the car?

Thanks for the reply! Yep, I used MadCar to animate the Centaur ;)

I will try Pflow for the per object particles or maybe try to create a second fume pass where the objects will have to pass through a "wall of smoke" then hide the wall of smoke in the composite. Thanks for the tip on the matte, I will try that too. Cheers!

MSun
08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
some old fume sims i did:

simple fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZaduLY1ac

little bit of smoke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH7vhonkt1I

little bit of both smoke and fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwck2Dt5YQ

em3
08-05-2010, 08:27 PM

simple fire

little bit of smoke

They look really great MSun!

jimmy4d
08-06-2010, 03:42 AM

simple fire

little bit of smoke

yeah they look cool man...............nice sim's.............:buttrock:

Rbin
08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Nahuel thanks for repply. :applause:

They look great MSun! the "little bit of smoke" is that you keying the obj src velocity to make it grow more and less? :bowdown:

MartinRomero
08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Helly Fumies!

It's been a while since last I posted something. I am back on working with Fume and I have a question already.

I am trying to achieve this
http://images.watoday.com.au/2009/05/15/520875/article-fire-pic-420x0.jpg

I got the look and feeling of it just fine. The only problem is that I would like to dissipate the smoke from rising and rising but I can't figure it out. If I set the dissipation too high, then the smoke looses its thickness and Volume, i want to keep the volume and thinness just fine. I just don't want to end up with a super tall and unrealistic smoke column, ANY HINTS?

Keep in mind that I do not need some basic concepts. I have worked with dynamics for a while now, however this is one of those cases where something is missing to make it work.

Thank you so much guys.
Keep in mind that I was typing kind of fast, so hopefully you got my drift.

Martin

Thanks guys

MSun
08-06-2010, 07:52 PM
@em3 thank you, kind sir.

@jimmy4d thank you as well :)

@Rbin yes sir, also i keyed the smoke amount as well i believe. but it's been a while since i did that sim, i can't remember off the top of my head, but those presets come in real handy :)

MSun
08-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Helly Fumies!

It's been a while since last I posted something. I am back on working with Fume and I have a question already.

I am trying to achieve this
http://images.watoday.com.au/2009/05/15/520875/article-fire-pic-420x0.jpg

I got the look and feeling of it just fine. The only problem is that I would like to dissipate the smoke from rising and rising but I can't figure it out. If I set the dissipation too high, then the smoke looses its thickness and Volume, i want to keep the volume and thinness just fine. I just don't want to end up with a super tall and unrealistic smoke column, ANY HINTS?

Keep in mind that I do not need some basic concepts. I have worked with dynamics for a while now, however this is one of those cases where something is missing to make it work.

Thank you so much guys.
Keep in mind that I was typing kind of fast, so hopefully you got my drift.

Martin

Thanks guys

what i find from testing is if you want the smoke to slow down, make sure you dissapate the temperature a lot. it doesn't affect the fire as much because the fire generates a lot of heat itself. but what you can do is, depending on your scene, put your temperature dissipation threshold (can't remember the exact setting name off the top of my head) really high as well as the dissipation strength, then your smoke will most likely to rise slower, excatly settings you have to play with.

let me know if it worked

MartinRomero
08-06-2010, 09:56 PM
what i find from testing is if you want the smoke to slow down, make sure you dissapate the temperature a lot. it doesn't affect the fire as much because the fire generates a lot of heat itself. but what you can do is, depending on your scene, put your temperature dissipation threshold (can't remember the exact setting name off the top of my head) really high as well as the dissipation strength, then your smoke will most likely to rise slower, excatly settings you have to play with.

let me know if it worked

Hi there,

I will give it a try tonight. Thanks man

Martin

em3
08-06-2010, 10:40 PM
When you guys talk about using PFlow with Fume do you mean you use it to compliment Fume or do you use it in conjunction with Fume (as in the PFlow particles catch fire and emit Fume smoke etc)? Sorry for my newb question.

PexElroy
08-07-2010, 02:15 PM
@ Martin - try to animate the smoke amount itself; either keyframe it as you need (to lower it), or put a noise controller on it to randomly control its flow speed. The smoke amount defines how much smoke is released, for cold smoke. Dissipation for Heat might help, but not much with cold smoke.

@ em3 - either; anytime you use a Particle Source in your FFX scene, you could have PFlow or other particles drive the sim or influence it with heat or fuel.

Rbin
08-07-2010, 07:25 PM
@ Martin - if want to slow down the smoke rising , from my testing just add the value at temperature call "diffusion" . it might slow down the smoke rising.

Hi guys, does anyone got try on the fumeFX's collision system? I have some problem when i use an obj source to simulate smoke, and i need the smoke can Collide on that obj. look like fumeFx didn't support use the same obj to do the 2 function together. So i clone the obj and set it one is simulate smoke another one is for collision. Now still got nothing unless i scale the collision obj smaller, then the smoke only come out, but if i not scale small enough the simulation will look a bit weird, look like some of smoke simulation is under collision and cant run out.

Does anyone know a better way to do it, cos if i use this way to simulate , the smoke will go inside the obj surface when i final render. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Thanks.

em3
08-07-2010, 10:49 PM
@ em3 - either; anytime you use a Particle Source in your FFX scene, you could have PFlow or other particles drive the sim or influence it with heat or fuel.

OK I will keep trying. Seems like when I add a pflow source, fume only sims along random points of the particle trail.

Here is my first fume scene...

http://www.treadster.com/RF_Fume_Wall.mov

here's the breakdown...

Rayfire Pass
Rayfire Alpha Pass
Fume Pass
Fume Alpha Pass

It kind of sucks but I will be working on it as I learn. I am just happy the workflow is "working" cheers!

jimmy4d
08-08-2010, 03:46 PM
OK I will keep trying. Seems like when I add a pflow source, fume only sims along random points of the particle trail.

Here is my first fume scene...

http://www.treadster.com/RF_Fume_Wall.mov

here's the breakdown...

Rayfire Pass
Rayfire Alpha Pass
Fume Pass
Fume Alpha Pass

It kind of sucks but I will be working on it as I learn. I am just happy the workflow is "working" cheers!

looking cool man...........you can try this.....using the pflow_Aburn in you pflow and calling that up in the fume sim instead of the pflow itself. Makes for nice dabri smoke and dust when they hit the ground...........

Gamble
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
has anyone got any decent results on trying to simulate a nuclear explosion here?

em3
08-09-2010, 09:57 PM
@jimmy4d - I will try it and post my results, thanks!

Glacierise
08-10-2010, 09:53 AM
@Gamble - I meant to do a tut, it's not too hard really.

monkeydonut
08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I have a quick query I was hoping that the experienced users here could help with (apologies if this lowers the tone, no-one likes a hw question :banghead: ):

It seems like fumefx takes significant advantage of multithreading, so for a machine geared primarily towards working with fumefx (but also more general particles/fx), presumably something like a dual xeon 5680 3.33GHz w/ 24-48gb RAM is preferable to a more mainstream i7 w/ 24gb RAM.

Could anybody offer their real-world experience regarding the ideal system specs for such a machine? Money isn't a huge issue, but no-one wants to spend for no reason.

Thank you. :D

Glacierise
08-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Many cores and a lot of ram, it's not complicated :)

Darknon
08-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi all

This is an explosion for my short film "Sitting Ducks". This shows the different steps it has gone through from begining to end.

Biggest challenge was to get the shape of the explosion right. I tried simple source emitter, and object emitters using different shapes. I ended up using particle source, and ended up with a setup so I now just can change the seed of the particle speed to get a different explosion still with a cool shape.

Keep in mind that this is only the fumefx part of the explosion. I still need to ad sand and debris flying up, some thin dust, and a shockwave along the ground.

So it still needs some lovin'

Youtube Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPa1aHYrg_A

Anyways, a question:
I'm having some trouble with "dead voxels" or what you chose to call it. It's like some of the smoke just stops, not doing any motion, just sits there like dead smoke pieces. It's most clear in the Explosion_44 in my link above.

Glacierise
08-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Nice watch! You have some nice ones there :) The smoke on almost all of them dissipates way too quickly though, and you could use some breakup on the sources (with a texture). I enjoyed it :)

monkeydonut
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Many cores and a lot of ram, it's not complicated :)

Thanks, would 24Gb RAM be suitable for large fume sims or would I be wishing I bought 48Gb after 2 weeks work?

jimmy4d
08-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi all

This is an explosion for my short film "Sitting Ducks". This shows the different steps it has gone through from begining to end.

Biggest challenge was to get the shape of the explosion right. I tried simple source emitter, and object emitters using different shapes. I ended up using particle source, and ended up with a setup so I now just can change the seed of the particle speed to get a different explosion still with a cool shape.

Keep in mind that this is only the fumefx part of the explosion. I still need to ad sand and debris flying up, some thin dust, and a shockwave along the ground.

So it still needs some lovin'

Youtube Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPa1aHYrg_A

Anyways, a question:
I'm having some trouble with "dead voxels" or what you chose to call it. It's like some of the smoke just stops, not doing any motion, just sits there like dead smoke pieces. It's most clear in the Explosion_44 in my link above.

Nice Man, I know what you mean about the pflow to generate an explosion, I have been told over and over to use simple source etc. I like putting a pflow as a heat generator, you can change the shape of the kaboom much faster......IMO....... nice stuff man......... as far as the dead smoke goes I have this too, No ideas on it though.

Glacierise
08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks, would 24Gb RAM be suitable for large fume sims or would I be wishing I bought 48Gb after 2 weeks work?

24 are enough for everything but the very very big ones. You'll be ok :)

Bandu
08-10-2010, 02:10 PM

I think you would be wishing 96GIG after 4 weeks.
The point is, it is never enough http://1.1.1.2/bmi/forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif

monkeydonut
08-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I think you would be wishing 96GIG after 4 weeks.
The point is, it is never enough http://1.1.1.2/bmi/forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I know this to be true :). I suppose I should have framed my question thus: "I want to simulate fumefx explosions approaching the scale of "The A-Team" (e.g. boat sequence), but not reaching the scale of "2012", will 24Gb suffice?". What are most people in the industry working with?

Glacierise
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Bandurski is making a good point, but more in the direction that you CAN'T work well with FFX with only one machine :) I'd split my budget and get 2 or 3, even if they are weaker. You need stuff simming in the background to keep work flowing.

monkeydonut
08-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I agree that multiple machines make for a sensible workflow. However, I was under the impression that total RAM limits the total size/resolution of a simulation, and therefore one should ensure that there is enough RAM for the scale of explosion they are attempting. Is this the case or does HDD swapping go some way to fix this?

Glacierise
08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
No, you need the ram. But I assure you, with 12-24 gigs you can go quite far indeed.

monkeydonut
08-10-2010, 02:52 PM
No, you need the ram. But I assure you, with 12-24 gigs you can go quite far indeed.

Ok, thank you very much for answering my questions. I'm sorry to have temporarily derailed the thread away from people posting their pretty explosions - I hope to contribute in that way soon!

JohnnyRandom
08-10-2010, 05:01 PM
@Darknon, nice work, Explosion_54 was cool, scale wise, ie nice big explosion from a distance type of shot, something you would see from a mile or so away ;), the very last one was nice too, as Hristo mentioned your smoke does dissipate pretty quick for such a dense emission. As for your "dead" smoke voxels you can ramp a a tiny bit of diffusion in your smoke if you like to disturb the grid. Or if you don't mind a bigger sim time throw in another source (no fuel/smoke) in you problem area either animate the temp or just use the velocities.

I would again agree with Hristo, more cores + more ram = happy fumefx. In fact the stereo machine concept is key, I just built an i7 980x with 24 gb (for just about 3000 us) and I am thinking of building another in a few months (if all goes well) just for the fact that I can keep working while I'm cooking something up, not to mention the second machine would be a bit cheaper since you don't need everything a primary workstation has (ie cheap gfx card, a os/app drive and a 2 disk array for a frame store)

MSun
08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
oh yeah let me plug this while i'm here. i did a fumefx intro sort of thing some time ago, should be pretty good for some basic fumefx stuff (had to watch it myself after not working with fume for a while)

linky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR365u2pS88

let me know what you think.

KamilXYZ
08-10-2010, 10:25 PM
i realy realy need a nuke expolosion tutorial so pls and pls send me a link via pm or here just please!

amckay
08-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I'll see if I can put together something soon - its not too difficult to knock a nuke out, usually you'll want to animate your timescale to initially create the plume motion and then roll much slower, same with the burn rate. By lowering your burn rate after it's gotten to the point you like it, it prevents it from killing the fire. That's one of the key things I do with large scale explosions.

HornBerger
08-10-2010, 11:23 PM
try playing with grid of emitters pointing at each other , pushing each other upward, try playing with expansion as well as burn rate, there is a link in the first post (by cryptite) which shows how burn rate and other parameters in the rollout effects the sim (click on "fumefx properties" link in the first post)....
http://www.community.ro/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45:fumefx-properties&catid=34:fume-fx&Itemid=50#josc169
the explosions tutorial in the above url could get you started...

there was an fx wars on this topic a while back.. some of my personal favorites...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10VpTItua5c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9L7nUhkbA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9L7nUhkbA)

I'll see if I can put together something soon - its not too difficult to knock a nuke out
that would be amazing! :drool:

KamilXYZ
08-11-2010, 01:10 AM
allan thats realy will be amazing if you prepare a tutorial for us

hornberger thx for links, ill try all of that things

amckay
08-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Hey guys, just to let you know I have put up a quick overview of Fume 2's features. I wanted to just quickly walk through the very basics of how Post Processing and Wavelet Turbulence works, as well as pointing out a few other neat features of Fume 2.

I'm planning a more in depth overview later but hopefully some of you will find it useful!

http://vimeo.com/14047077

jimmy4d
08-11-2010, 04:14 AM
Cool Alan,.........I just watched the hole thing, very helpful. Great stuff,thanks mate.:beer:

KamilXYZ
08-11-2010, 03:27 PM
allan thats really awesome!( even if its not answer of my question :] )
thx you but its hard to see detail in video, is it posible to upload high quailty video to a file server suchash hotfile, rapid etc. or 720p video to youtube ?
thx again

KiLa
08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi!

I have a little problem, see the attached images.

FumeFX UI is too small, after i open AND move it, when using custom DPI (125%) in Win 7.

Any ideas how to fix it?

I think this is a bug in FumeFX: all other plugins that use UI floaters are working fine, e.g. RayFire.

Env; Win 7 64, Max 2011 64, FumeFX 2.0a

Ty!

-Kimmo

JohnnyRandom
08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
FumeFX UI is too small, after i open AND move it, when using custom DPI (125%) in Win 7.

You already answered your own question :)

If you want to change your font sizes, use the advanced appearance settings.

KiLa
08-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Advanced appearence?

Are you talking about the Display settings where i can change the font scaling? If so, that is the problem: im using Medium font scaling (125%) and for some reason FumeFX cant handle it correctly.

The UI open fine, but if i move it, it shrinks down and i cant resize it anymore

JohnnyRandom
08-11-2010, 08:08 PM
No, no, old school way- Set your DPI back to default then go to All Control Panel Items->Personalization->Window Color & Apearance-> Advanced Appearance Settings. You get the old Windows XP Customize UI dialog. Instead of the garbage all for one setting.

KiLa
08-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Do you mean this (see the attached picture)?

Yeps, you can change font sizes from this dialog BUT you cant change the size that is used in dialogs and some other UI elements.

E.g. you cant change the size of the font that is used in Window Color and Appearence dialog - text: "To turn on Windows Aero..." and the font that is used in task bar and start menu. In order to change those, you need to use custom DPI.

JohnnyRandom
08-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Correct, if you want your FumeFX UI to work right you can't use the DPI setting. If you want bigger UI elements why not just lower your monitor resolution? Instead of jacking with the way all of the applications deal with dialogs?

KiLa
08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Lowering the resolution...dont like that :) just got myself a new Dell 27" :)

I guess i have to use the normal DPI setting, and us the Windows Magnifier...or i could try to write a program that will force the FumeFX UI to specific width

JohnnyRandom
08-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Kreso @ Sig this year, we talked about Fume a bit (imagine that :)) the UI happened to come up in conversation, as it is, he had to write up a workaround to even get the UI the way it is (as its structure isn't currently part of the max interface API or-something-or-other-techno-babble-over-my-head-part-of-conversation), it would be my guess that there is no way to externally influence it from within max.

As far as I know there is no maxscript interface for Fumes UI width/height. On the other hand you could write your own interface, which is totally possible, just note that there are a few parameters that are not visible to maxscript but for the most part you could duplicate it, if you wanted too.

martaaay
08-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I'd like to get the FFX community into staring explosions, fire, and smoke more -- moving toward open source effects. We all show test videos for feedback, and how many times have you seen somebody else's explosion and really wanted to know learn more about how they did it? It would especially help people new to FFX.

I'd like to start the ball rolling. Every time I make a new production that uses Fume FX, I'm going to post a .max file that has my Fume FX simulation in it (though I may rip out other parts I can't share). Anybody have ideas for an appropriate license? I'm thinking Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike, but disallow packaging the .max file and reselling it. My intention is that you can download the .max file, learn from it, modify it, use it or the modifications in commercial videos, share your derivatives, but not simply turn around and sell a DVD of .max files made by community members.

So, here goes. This is seen in our production "SMBC Theater - Poker World Championships" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfsuuYKU6mk) at 1:41. We didn't get tracking markers, so I simply made a cylinder for the head with 2 tubes coming out and rotoscoped. The 2 tubes spit out particles to feed FumeFX. There's some post production to add a little glow, shake, lens flare, fake motion blur, and color correction.

The .max file is here (Fume FX 1.2 and 3ds Max 2010):
http://www.smbc-theater.com/extras/SMBC Theater Poker Fire Eyes.zip (http://www.smbc-theater.com/extras/SMBC%20Theater%20Poker%20Fire%20Eyes.zip)

JohnnyRandom
08-12-2010, 03:47 AM
I agree, to a certain extent, I started a cg wiki (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/FumeFX) entry like 4 freakin years ago and the only one that posted anything to it besides myself was Solitude, so the wish is there just not the drive. haha just looked at it looks like it needs some formatting, they must have changed mediawiki versions.

I just guess that people just want to keep all there booms bundled up, that and I think there may be too much room for abuse, LOL somebody builds up a badass blast next thing you know you see it all over the place, I don't know.

amckay
08-12-2010, 07:41 AM
allan thats really awesome!( even if its not answer of my question :] )
thx you but its hard to see detail in video, is it posible to upload high quailty video to a file server suchash hotfile, rapid etc. or 720p video to youtube ?
thx again

Yeah sorry mate been a killer week
I plan soon (I'm in the middle of moving apartments over the next week - moving to LA permanently) but soon I'll be doing a major update to my website with loads more maya and max content. I plan to make all the video tutorials up there available to stream from vimeo, but also download at HD (1920 or similar) and also most of them in other formats such as for iphone too. So in the future they'll be able to be direct download.

adom86
08-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Hello again hope you are all well! :)

Just trying to create a dust devil in Fume and I keep running into a problem where after about 40-50 frames into the sim it appears like something is slamming through the grid and knocking the smoke off into oblivion and ruining the shot. Still tyring to problem solve it but not having much luck yet. You can see a 48 frame clip of it beneath, just wondering if any of you have come across such an issue. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEkRrQzzxZY

It is a simple particle system driven by a vortex and a wind to create some turbulence.

Thank you!

adom86
08-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi!

I have a little problem, see the attached images.

Any ideas how to fix it?

I think this is a bug in FumeFX: all other plugins that use UI floaters are working fine, e.g. RayFire.

Env; Win 7 64, Max 2011 64, FumeFX 2.0a

Ty!

-Kimmo

Hey I had the very same annoying problem for weeks. I ended up solving by tweaking the registry values and I have to do this every single time I reinstall windows 7. If you search back a few pages of this thread the solution I used is there! :)

martaaay
08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree, to a certain extent, I started a cg wiki (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/FumeFX) entry like 4 freakin years ago and the only one that posted anything to it besides myself was Solitude, so the wish is there just not the drive.

Anytime you have an external wiki that's not part of the official system, new people won't be aware of it and regulars will forget about it. This needs to be part of the thread behavior or maybe a sticky where people will see it everyday.

martaaay
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Just trying to create a dust devil in Fume and I keep running into a problem where after about 40-50 frames into the sim it appears like something is slamming through the grid and knocking the smoke off into oblivion and ruining the shot.

Any chance you have a hidden object connected to your sim that you forgot about? Are the particles behaving like this?

Can you post a .max file?

adom86
08-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Any chance you have a hidden object connected to your sim that you forgot about? Are the particles behaving like this?

Can you post a .max file?

Yea sure, this version, the anomaly happens about 64 frames! Trying the dissipation values at the moment. I dont think I have anything else in the scene, its driving me crazy lol anyway here is the link!

http://www.adamtrowers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/tornado_finished_duringTesting01.max

Tried the smoke on set/add, tried buoyancy on 0 and above, tried without having the wind influence the sim, tried numerous dissipation strengths but nothing yet, shall keep going :S

More detailed video of the issue here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOTXvhtuUbY

KamilXYZ
08-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah sorry mate been a killer week
I plan soon (I'm in the middle of moving apartments over the next week - moving to LA permanently) but soon I'll be doing a major update to my website with loads more maya and max content. I plan to make all the video tutorials up there available to stream from vimeo, but also download at HD (1920 or similar) and also most of them in other formats such as for iphone too. So in the future they'll be able to be direct download.

thats great man, i'm waiting impatiently

KiLa
08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey I had the very same annoying problem for weeks. I ended up solving by tweaking the registry values and I have to do this every single time I reinstall windows 7. If you search back a few pages of this thread the solution I used is there! :)

Heh, i actually tried it already, but didnt help on my situation :)

adom86
08-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Think I have finally found a work around when using a pflow system that is influenced by a vortex force. I placed a FumeFX Void source on each side of the container and so far no unpredictable results. The sim ran fine without a vortex so I am wondering if there is a bug with a particle source using a vortex force.. anyway been very frustrating :p

Hope it helps any1 if they are having the same problem in future !

PexElroy
08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
@ adom86 - good tip on vortex, thanks!

@ Allan - can't wait to see your new content dude :twisted:

Cryptite
08-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Anytime you have an external wiki that's not part of the official system, new people won't be aware of it and regulars will forget about it. This needs to be part of the thread behavior or maybe a sticky where people will see it everyday.

There's a link to it on the original post to this forum anyway. I fear I've waited too long to index the whole forum with links to specific posts about things.

Needless to say there're alot more posts than there were last time I did :o

JohnnyRandom
08-14-2010, 01:01 AM
There's a link to it on the original post to this forum anyway. I fear I've waited too long to index the whole forum with links to specific posts about things.

Needless to say there're alot more posts than there were last time I did :o

LOL, it would be a lot of work to keep on up this thread, one reason I added the Wiki page, simply for the fact that threads get convoluted.

The Wiki is part of the "official system" it just doesn't get used as such. Beside that it has to be the easiest markup language in existence, granted it would be better if it were more blog like with a decent wysiwyg editor ;)

martaaay
08-16-2010, 10:11 PM
My thinking is that if every time somebody posts a youtube link with a "please help me" or "check out what I did" along with a .max file, this community will really benefit and grow quickly. If we can work off each other's shoulders, each of us will have better results.

It would help alot if we could get a subforum for FumeFX rather than one loooong thread.

PsychoSilence
08-16-2010, 10:26 PM
i searched the thread and forum already but maybe anyone experienced the same:

FumeFX 2 is only utilizing 1 CPU sometimes under windows7-64 in max2010-64. When i set it from "Use All CPUs" to "Threads" and set the spinner according to my thread count(16) it seams to fix it for a while. By asking around i found i am not the only one with that problem. I hope a good reboot helps...havent done that in a while :D

thanks in advance!

Ansi

JonathanFreisler
08-17-2010, 12:04 AM
My thinking is that if every time somebody posts a youtube link with a "please help me" or "check out what I did"

Will also flood youtube with more crappy fume videos :P

martaaay
08-17-2010, 06:43 AM
I got me some ugly shadows -- very pixelated. Any ideas why? I'm using the scanline renderer since mentalray keeps crashing 3ds max when I use FFX. I'll post my .max if it'll help, but right now it's in bad disarray as I race to the finish line.

I'm using 4 omni lights for illumination, placed near each other to approximate an area light.

Cryptite
08-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Faking area lighting is pretty tough in Fume; especially since you can't just USE area lights (unless this has been fixed or something).

What I do is render two passes, shadow-only, fume-only, then blur the shadow in comp. Just turn your ground to a matte element, have it receive shadows, then turn off "Visible to Camera" on your fume and you'll get a shadow you can control in comp.

JohnnyRandom
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
^ Also how does your alpha look? If it is clean you can use it as your shadows.

amckay
08-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Yeah honestly area shadows can be a bit of a nightmare at times, softening is definitely the way to go (as Cryptite said!) Personally I use directionals for most of what I do, and raytraced shadows. I'll replicate the geometry needed to get the accurate shadows casted on my volumetrics, but what it casts down I usually keep fairly linear unless there is multiple light sources. It's easy to soften things in the comp but trying to do it in 3D is a bit of a pain.

I usually use scanline for most of my rendering, vray sometimes as well. Mental Ray only if motion blur is going to be a major issue, or more importantly if I want to use it with final gathering. Most of the time I will avoid using MR even if I need motion blur, and just render out two passes, one with hold out geometr and one without. And then use the no hold out pass if there's any fringing, as MR can be sloooow.

martaaay
08-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Hey thanks guys. I was considering doing a dual pass, but had assumed I was just doing something wrong. I'm rendering out the shadow pass now with all objects matte'd.

Is there a way to do a material override with the scanline renderer like you can in mentalray?

MSun
08-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey thanks guys. I was considering doing a dual pass, but had assumed I was just doing something wrong. I'm rendering out the shadow pass now with all objects matte'd.

Is there a way to do a material override with the scanline renderer like you can in mentalray?

just use scene state?

Darknon
08-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey all

I have a big problem with the fumefx fire color. I have made an explosion where the fire dies over 30 frames or so, I have turned the smoke on so we can see the problem better.

I have a pretty simple color gradient that starts orange and then quickly turns black. Well, that's what I thought. It turns out that the fire looks pretty sweet in the begining, where it's mixing orange and black, and give me some nice details, that I like very much. but then as it dies out, it goes into a washed out yellow, which looks like shit.

I don't really understand what is happening here, I have tried to do all kinds of things with the color gradient, moving the black and yellows around, but I cant get it better than this. Also the opacity and color parameter is not fixing this problem.

This dude seems to get it right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNMfEyFFNHw

I want to keep the details from the begining to the end. Anyone knows how to fix this, and make the fire look nice and detailed all the way through?

Here's some images showing the problem.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/115/l_6134c303e6544d6998aab9845ab1f50c.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/138/l_3754c38373724e879c0c102c9ca85d58.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/133/l_b287cf7940dc4f7d9d1d7dd540231b8f.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/119/l_759eff42da8a42f8bd43d583f98751ee.jpg

jimmy4d
08-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Ronnie, I too have this going on sometimes, I wonder if it's cuz the the AFC is maxed out at one point and that's giving the color wash at that point. Anyone got the answer???? I too would like to know.

Glacierise
08-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I usually animate the opacity and color spinners.

MatthiasM
08-21-2010, 02:34 PM
i think you talk about the last clip in my video right ?
you can have a look at the max scene if you want, however i just reopened it and the spacing was screwed up its not the same than in the video www.matthiasm.de/shared/explosion_matthiasm_scene.max
i am not sure if you are after the look of the right or the left version in my video, here is the difference:
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4623/expljpg.jpg

Darknon
08-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks MatthiasM (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=276689) vbmenu_register("postmenu_6657569", true); , I'll definatly take at look at your scene. Thanks for sharing, very much appreciated! :)

manuhyd
08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi,

How can we make fire travel along a animated curve?

Dreamie
08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Manuhyd, Yes, there're several ways you could do that.

You can make an object follow the curve and use that object as your source.
You can also emit particles along those curve and use them for your fume source instead.

Curves can become renderable objects and treated as geometry so you could use that actual curve as a geo source and if you need the fire to run along the curve you can use an animated noise mask that is running along your curve and use that mask in your fuel map.

amckay
08-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah honestly the way that I do it is to emit particles along a curve (use the speed by icon, animated) you will have a lot of influence by adjusting the particles vector inheritance to either make it trail behind or launch itself forward - but this is usually how I'll do it to get some interesting FX.

adom86
08-25-2010, 03:02 PM
good old fume driving me mad again!

That old chestnut of flickering smoke. Ive done the usual higher quality sims and high animation settings in vray and tried the old scanline renderer with AB shadows to make sure. Just trying to save the pre-pass of the GI first then load them in after see if that works. urrrgghh!

Edit* Well my container is stupidly big at 4757x1000x2140 and its grid size is 643x135x289 maybe thats the problem. Spacing at 7.4 but seems to be getting worse the higher the spacing at the moment and no difference across render quality settings.

Only one thing for it.. crank the spacing time waaaaay down and let it sim 1 min per frame or so, couple of frames look ok.. i hate doing large oil fields burning haha .. ah well! :)

Edit 2* It would appear that lowering the depth in the illumination tab eliminates a lot of the popping which is good! Render times have jumped out the window though :(

manuhyd
08-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi allan,

Thanks for the help,

I tried emitting particls along a curve using animated speed by icon & simulate fire using particles source. I'm able to get particle/fire along the curve but they are not animating with the curve. curve has a motion like a sine wave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULtMmtPLyA8

JohnnyRandom
08-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Two things:

First keep in mind if you want fume to follow something think about how gravity/bouyancy are effecting the grid, from your preview there you can see that your flames are rising, try using very little gravity/bouyancy, or a use a gravity vector to change the g/b direction

Second velocities (either object, particle, or emitter) play a huge role, if you generate too much velocity your fire will pass your bounds, too little velocity it won't do anything but smolder. Just right it does what you want. ie when you source goes around a curve too much velocity will carry your fluid on past the bounds of the curve.

amckay
08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey guys this is totally ghetto, but I wrote it in a few minutes and I'm using it so I thought you someone might find it useful

here's an excerpt from inside the script:

Totally written in a few minutes before I went to lunch, so nothing too special or written efficiently.
That being siad, what this does is it will do the following:
1) Run default Sim
2) Run Wavelet Sim
3) Run the retimer
4) Render it to the specified path.
This is useful, as Fume FX 2.0+ is really a multi step process, unlike before where you hit sim and then render.
So rather than baby sitting it, you're able to set it up, and walk away for 30 minutes and have the finished results all rendered and ready to rock

Any questions, hit me up - but like I said, this isn't really a formal script I'm proud of, just something I needed in a hurry, and found useful.

-Allan McKay
amckay@allanmckay.com
http://www.allanmckay.com

Lastly - I have named it .txt as cgtalk didn't like .ms as a file extension.

adom86
08-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Allan... On behalf of the fume community, we could kiss you! Awesome work buddy! :P

amckay
08-25-2010, 07:30 PM
sweet, start the line at my kissing booth

no worries, like I said it's nothing special just I find I'm coming back to my desk to switch to another cache and sim type, run the next part of the sim, etc. so this makes it a one stop process.
when I have time I'll make a proper one with post processing script so it can be part of the max file for submitting to the farm, but right now I'm stuck doing maya jobs

Hope you're all well!

adom86
08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Ahh very nice! By the way I sent you an email just asking about your Fume Pyro workshop is on looking forward to it! :)

amckay
08-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Cheers mate, I am REALLY far behind on email, so if you don't get a response, just send it again and hassle me until I do respond.
Going to vegas this weekend, so I think I'll be dedicating a few hours to sitting by the pool replying to emails with a mojito in my hand ;)

Anesthaesia
08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi folks,

I'm having a weird issue when creating a Fume grid using a script.

If I create the grid with a script (FumeFX length:80 width:80 height: 80), set the paths, everything works fine and as I sim the preview window updates (I can see the sim) and can render post sim.
However, when I scrub through the animation, the preview window just says "Frame Missing". I can however render any frame and it is fine, so the files are there and the paths are correct.

If I draw the grid manually, I don't have this problem.

Any ideas? I have tried changing the paths and checked everything I can (sim mode, cache etc.) - it's driving me nuts.

Cheers,
D

adom86
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Anesthaesia, I come across that problem now and again but thats from dragging out the container manually. I usually find a quick save and reopen the file solves it, no idea why it does it but its not too much of a hassle. Never done one using a script tho!

Just been rendering off the shot I was on about yesterday with the flicker. I lowered the depth in the illumination tab down from 5 to 3 and the render times have gone from 1 minute to 13 minutes per frame.. i am quite shocked! Thats at 600x300 res too!

It got rid of the flickers but not good for this deadline today! :(

Anesthaesia
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks Adom - one thing I haven't tried is saving the file and re-opening it. Will give that a try - never experienced it when manually creating the grid, and if it does happen it's a path/cache issue.

With regards to flicker, not sure if this is an option but I had the same problem on a tight deadline and a quick fix was to find the frame it happened on using Ram player for instance (it's usually a single frame) and just copy and rename the prev frame. Obviously this only works in certain situations, but it saved having to re-render.

Update: Saving the file and reloading it fixed the preview window issue - thanks Adom :)

Btw, when I had flickering issues it was caused by about 3 frames out of 100, so depending on how severe yours is, I'm not sure if what I suggested is viable.

fireknght2
08-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Cheers mate, I am REALLY far behind on email, so if you don't get a response, just send it again and hassle me until I do respond.
Going to vegas this weekend, so I think I'll be dedicating a few hours to sitting by the pool replying to emails with a mojito in my hand ;)

The script is the bomb Allan, Thank You.
While in Vegas tip a few back for me too, and if you play any of the tables place your bets on 22 or 10 mostly 22 it's my lucky number!

Rich

fireknght2
08-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I have not seen an answer to this yet and maybe it is right in front of me(oldheimers)but I cannot seem to get the right time for either the smoke or the fire to show an realistic muzzleflash with fume. I can get a somewhat good flash with the on-board fire in 3ds max but it is not as impressive as I wish. I want a short flash of fire and ample smoke comparable to a 17 or 18th century cannon blast. Allan you been so busy trekking all over but if you get time in Vegas or in between gigs could you write a tutorial on this...remember oldheimers too. LOL.
If anyone else has been successful with this effect I would be greatly appreciative of a tutorial using Fume of course. Thanks everyone for all the great help you give.

Rich

amckay
08-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi folks,
If I create the grid with a script (FumeFX length:80 width:80 height: 80), set the paths, everything works fine and as I sim the preview window updates (I can see the sim) and can render post sim.
However, when I scrub through the animation, the preview window just says "Frame Missing". I can however render any frame and it is fine, so the files are there and the paths are correct.

Have you tried cylcing through the caches (in ffx 2?) and seeing whether that helps refreshing it. I get it sometimes but I just change it to a different cache and back then close and reopen and it seems to help.
Question - Can you see it in the viewport if you enable the viewport channels?

amckay
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
btw guys if you want to suppress flicker I just turn on the read/write to disk for the illumination maps. and then its pretty reliable.
Also you can use illumination maps to speed up your rendering on larger sized voxel grids

Anesthaesia
08-26-2010, 08:38 PM
I have not seen an answer to this yet and maybe it is right in front of me(oldheimers)but I cannot seem to get the right time for either the smoke or the fire to show an realistic muzzleflash with fume. I can get a somewhat good flash with the on-board fire in 3ds max but it is not as impressive as I wish. I want a short flash of fire and ample smoke comparable to a 17 or 18th century cannon blast. Allan you been so busy trekking all over but if you get time in Vegas or in between gigs could you write a tutorial on this...remember oldheimers too. LOL.
If anyone else has been successful with this effect I would be greatly appreciative of a tutorial using Fume of course. Thanks everyone for all the great help you give.

Rich

Something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be2ZHqZRjig ?

I did that for the FX Wars challenge - basically it's a few frames of particles (3 or 4) with a high speed and then just wispy smoke. Tried everything but particles were definitely the best way.

It was a while ago and I cannot find the file, but try some high speed particles and not too much detail. After watching a lot of reference material, there wasn't much fire emitted with powder cannons/rifles...but you can try adding a few sparks using a simple pflow setup.

fireknght2
08-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be2ZHqZRjig ?

I did that for the FX Wars challenge - basically it's a few frames of particles (3 or 4) with a high speed and then just wispy smoke. Tried everything but particles were definitely the best way.

It was a while ago and I cannot find the file, but try some high speed particles and not too much detail. After watching a lot of reference material, there wasn't much fire emitted with powder cannons/rifles...but you can try adding a few sparks using a simple pflow setup.

That is the exact look I need, perfect motion, just enough flame density of the smoke is spot on! I actually have a copy of your complete entry and have tried so many times to duplicate the effect using your video as a reference and I cannot get it right. There are many tutorials on muzzleflash found online but none that cover FumeFX or the use of particles as a means of achieving the look you got. This has been kickin' my butt big time and I need some help with getting it right.
Thank You for your video if you ever get a chance please share a tutorial with me and maybe their are others that would like to learn your secret too. I would be very appreciative.

Rich

adom86
08-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Can you layer fluid mapping onto wavelet cache or is it one or the other like it might suggest?

Just finished readin the whole manual and testin most things.. been interesting!

:)

kogden
08-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Id Say its just one or the other, as they are both "post process" features. On another hand you can layer in a noise map into either wavelet or fluid mapping(word space mapping), just select explicit map Chanel in the material mapping...it sorta works but you have to play nice with it.

Kieran

Gagui
08-29-2010, 01:31 AM
Hello people!

I want to do a fireball like this, but my flames always seem complex and turbulent.
How can I simulate those smooth flames in fumefx?
I don't know but I presume the secret is in the opacity and gradient options, is possible?

Another problem I have is my simulation concentrates fire behind the ball and what I want is to have more fire in the rim.

Any advice to achive this effect? thank you.

Glacierise
08-29-2010, 07:27 AM
No turbulence, low vorticity, low burn rate variation

Gagui
08-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks!

What is the purpose of the low burn rate variation?

With no turbulence, how can I get those smooth swirls in the tail? maybe with a wind spacewarp?

amckay
08-30-2010, 06:10 AM
burn rate variation will essentially break up the burn rate, so some flames will die sooner and others will die later, rather than all at the same time.

If you want fire like that add turbulence and put the scale value down to a value that matches it some what (I can't give an exact number as it depends on your scale) however I would adjust your frame values to phase much slower so you get nicer phasing with it.

If you want more fire at the rim, try getting your opacity graph and raising the middle of the ramp up to more opaque, as well as the far right. Essentially the way the opacity ramp works is the left is the outer area and the right side is the inner area, so you can make the fire closest to the object more solid through adjusting the opacity graph on the right side.

This type of effect is relatively straight forward to create, and you can do it fairly low res like 180x180x180 roughly

let me know how you go any if you have any other questions, I will do my best to make time to respond, best of luck ;)

Gagui
08-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Many thanks Allan for your help!!

Interesting thing what you said about the opacity graph.
What I'm finding most dificult, in fact, is to archive those flames at the rim and "over" the object, in this case the basket ball.
Everything I do always ends with the black sphere over the fire.
Ive tried to map the temperature with a fallof map, but max chashed everytime I do that.

Do you know any way to emit temperature only from the rim of an object?

amckay
08-30-2010, 04:12 PM
You mean make the fire not spread as much or what specifically? You can adjust your fire not to shoot out as much via the emitter, so adjust the strength of how much the emitter shoots out so it can emit much closer to the object. And again you can get your flames opacity to be focused more on the closest area to the ball by making the right side more apparent than the left side of the graph.

I'm just heading to the studio right now, but if you can explain a bit more thoroughly what you're trying to get, ie. do you want the flames to more sit in front of the ball, or tighter around the surface etc? I just woke up so I need to be explained in baby talk this morning ;) But I'll be more than happy to help you achieve the look you're after

Kresimir
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I got me some ugly shadows -- very pixelated. Any ideas why? I'm using the scanline renderer since mentalray keeps crashing 3ds max when I use FFX. I'll post my .max if it'll help, but right now it's in bad disarray as I race to the finish line.

I'm using 4 omni lights for illumination, placed near each other to approximate an area light.

Hello Martaaay,

Feel free to send me scene that causes mental ray crash so I can take a look.
Please do not forget to include steps to reproduce.
You can send to support@afterworks.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/support@afterworks.com)

Kresimir

PsychoSilence
09-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Hey Kreso! Nice to see you around here :)

I have an annoying one:
The error message below shows usually when a cache pass or file is lost. In my case all passes are set correct and all files are there for the full sequence, cache files are even on the same drive as the max file and everything else (cached locally). It only occurs when the rendering mode is "Wavelet". It is clickable but always pops back up. The only way to get rid of it is literally shutting down max, restarting and switching the render mode to "Default" at frame 0. Then you can scrub thru the time line, render, etc.

Admittedly my cache files are about 2 gig per frame...1000x1000x1200aprox.

Specs: Max2010-64 (runs as Admin), Windows7-64 Ultimate

And last but not least some sweet reference from NASA for helping me out :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDwHKZfvMk&feature=player_embedded

superhypersam
09-05-2010, 07:15 AM
sorry, Ansel. but your sort of screwed.

This is a known bug, I have ran into several times with fume, Kreso is aware of it, but I will remind him next time I see him online.

I forget what the reason was, but to be honest it was beyond my simple artist mind.

heh

cheers

sam

PsychoSilence
09-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Sam! Another rare participant :) How is Bejing treating you so far?

At least i know it's not me going stir crazy...tried to copy it all to a different drive as well but same issue. Might be Wavelet in connection with big ass sims in 2010? I'll report it too.

Great to see you around, Sam!

Ansi

JohnnyRandom
09-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Hmm, yep saw somebody else post about a similar issue, in fact I'm pretty sure it was Sam.

Now for something completely different...

I rewrote my FX Floater script, updated a few things, got rid of stuff that I rarely used, and replaced them with things I did. If anyone is interested it lives here:
http://4rand.com/stuff/script-fx-floater/

THarland
09-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I rewrote my FX Floater script, updated a few things, got rid of stuff that I rarely used, and replaced them with things I did.Nice. :applause:

superhypersam
09-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Sam! Another rare participant :) How is Bejing treating you so far?

At least i know it's not me going stir crazy...tried to copy it all to a different drive as well but same issue. Might be Wavelet in connection with big ass sims in 2010? I'll report it too.

Great to see you around, Sam!

Ansi

Beijing is great. Having a blast!

U still in New Orleans?

As for the 2 gig cache bug, it occurs with regular fume sims 2.

U maybe able to get around by post stripping a channel or 2.

Cheers

Sam

JonathanFreisler
09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Whats with all the pros dropping by all of a sudden :P

Nice to see you round Kreso

Kaan88
09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Is there an easy way to add multiple objects so that fumefx can calculate collision? There are hundreds of objects and it would be a pain to choose them one by one.

PsychoSilence
09-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Good yo hear you're well, Sam! Sounds like a great adventure :)
I'm in Nola right now but will deploy to LA for work.

Stripping velocities right now. thats the biggest space hogger.

@ Kaan88: You could try wrapping them in a mesher. then you would have one single object that unfortunately doesnt support sub frame sampling if your objects are moving fast...If the objects are static just dublicate them and attach them, then use the attached version as fume collision objects. just make the attached (and maybe mesh count optimized) object un-renderable.

HornBerger
09-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Is there an easy way to add multiple objects so that fumefx can calculate collision? There are hundreds of objects and it would be a pain to choose them one by one.

name your ffx container fumefx, then select the objects you want to add and run the following script from the listener..
for o in $selection do $fumefx.addsource o

if you want to add all the objects in the scene you could run this script in the listener instead
for o in geometry do $fumefx.addsource o

Glacierise
09-06-2010, 05:40 PM
That is actually possible in FFX2, the source takes multiple objects. Yey to that :) Now as long as Kresimir is hopefully here, where do we put up a FFX wishlist? There are some things that would be really really cool, like advecting UVs from a source, to do color diversity in the shader...

Kresimir
09-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey Kreso! Nice to see you around here :)

I have an annoying one:
The error message below shows usually when a cache pass or file is lost. In my case all passes are set correct and all files are there for the full sequence, cache files are even on the same drive as the max file and everything else (cached locally). It only occurs when the rendering mode is "Wavelet". It is clickable but always pops back up. The only way to get rid of it is literally shutting down max, restarting and switching the render mode to "Default" at frame 0. Then you can scrub thru the time line, render, etc.

Admittedly my cache files are about 2 gig per frame...1000x1000x1200aprox.

Specs: Max2010-64 (runs as Admin), Windows7-64 Ultimate

And last but not least some sweet reference from NASA for helping me out :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDwHKZfvMk&feature=player_embedded

Hey Anselm !

EDIT:

I have found what was causing that 2Gigs problem and it will be fixed for FumeFX 2.1.
Caches are not corrupted, and the problem was in reading part of the code.
If you need it urgently, please email me.

Thanks

Kreso

PsychoSilence
09-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks Kreso! I will email you today :)
I fixed it actually after i was done with wavelet etc. and stripped out Velocity information with Post Sim. That cut the file size right in half :)

Speaking of wish list: one of my biggest draw backs: Shading by Data Channel > Temperature only allows for positive values. No dry ice shading with data channel :((( I guess it is due to the mapping of the gradient that only allows for positive values that are then normalized to squeeze between 0 and 1. if it remotely works like gradient ramps in Max.

Kresimir
09-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Speaking of wish list: one of my biggest draw backs: Shading by Data Channel > Temperature only allows for positive values.

I have put this on the list and will take care of that.

Thanks for report !

Kreso

HornBerger
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
hi!
my home computer has the following specs.. core 2 duo 2.56 ghz with 4 gb ram and 512mb grafix card.. nvidia 8600 GT (cuda support) (i know its old :( ).. i am trying to do a simulation which involves production of smoke from the exhaust pipe of a drifting vehicle (the dimensions of the area covered by this "animated" (not the vehicle size) vehicle is roughly 1100x700x150).. the problem in general is: what options do i have if my simulation crashes because of a low spacing value? (apart from increasing it.. quality matters! i am limited to a spacing value of around 3.0 but this gives low quality smoke no matter how much i try to improve it by adding maps or playing with the opacity and other render controls!!!)

assuming that the crash occurs due to memory.. am i limited by my hardware to do acceptable quality simulations.. is it possible that fumefx could use the hard disk when it runs out of memory? (time can be comprimised for quality.)

Aldarion
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
You could do a low-res sim first (remember to sim the velocity), then use a fume follow operator in pflow, and then use several smaller fumefx containers which have the pflow as a particle source.

That way you can simulate them individually and also optimize the simulated area a lot.

jimmy4d
09-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I would try to scale your scene down, models and all if you can, use a 50x150x500 that way you can lower you spacing pretty low, thus giving better sim detail out of the box.

Kaan88
09-08-2010, 12:47 PM
name your ffx container fumefx, then select the objects you want to add and run the following script from the listener..
for o in $selection do $fumefx.addsource o

if you want to add all the objects in the scene you could run this script in the listener instead
for o in geometry do $fumefx.addsource o

worked great thanks :thumbsup:

HornBerger
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
thanks for the post guys!

You could do a low-res sim first (remember to sim the velocity), then use a fume follow operator in pflow, and then use several smaller fumefx containers which have the pflow as a particle source.

That way you can simulate them individually and also optimize the simulated area a lot.

thats a good idea... i will give it a shot and see what i can get..

I would try to scale your scene down, models and all if you can, use a 50x150x500 that way you can lower you spacing pretty low, thus giving better sim detail out of the box.

i thought of that too but would'nt scaling down the scene mean i have to scale down my spacing too! to match the detail i had at a greater scale value?

worked great thanks :thumbsup:
glad it helped.. but latter i figured you can also press the pick button then press the "h" key and select multiple objects from the "pick object" dialog box

thanks !

Kaan88
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Wonder if there is anything to add something to the command so the objects are addes as solid?

Dreamie
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
thanks for the post guys!

i thought of that too but would'nt scaling down the scene mean i have to scale down my spacing too! to match the detail i had at a greater scale value?

thanks !

Quite the opposite, scaling down your scene means your existing fume container will need to occupy a much much smaller area so you can increase the spacing and still get decent results.

Btw another solution for you is something I found to be working where I didn't really expect it to be work.. it's usable on very RARE occasions.. You can simply make a small container and link it to your car animation. The cache is kept and calculated on each frame worldspace location so you basically can have a sim only where you need instead of covering the whole wide area. Nobody never recommends this because its not physically correct and it wont react to motion as in linking the source object in the wider container. It's basically a local puff of smoke that follow but doesn't response to your actual animation.

So as I said, could be useful on very rare occasions and pretty much shot depended.

HornBerger
09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
You can simply make a small container and link it to your car animation
nope that would not work in this case because when the car goes 360 the smoke in the container would rotate with the car .. here's a scanline render of the low res sim (http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1283964726)( http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1283964726 )

Wonder if there is anything to add something to the command so the objects are added as solid?

nothing is mentioned about it in the fumefx maxscript reference..

JohnnyRandom
09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Wonder if there is anything to add something to the command so the objects are addes as solid?

Actually there is in 2.0, I was actually trying to write this up for both versions, seems the boys changed some object handling in between versions. Had a bunch of other stuff in it but that functionality was broken between fume versions, so I simplified it, a lot.

Basically enable the "o" button and set the parameter click the button Set All and all of the objects contained within the Objects List will get the parameter change you specify.

You can for instance enable/disable the Use checkbox, set the objects collision type Shell/Solid/FreeFlow, and you can change all of the Speed Multiplier settings.

Gagui
09-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey Allan, sorry for the delay.
Here you have the result I've got:
http://vimeo.com/14844876

I'm not very happy with it but was all I can do in the time I had.
Your advice was very useful to achive the variation in the flames.

I've attached the settings of my setup.
What do you think I can change to improve the simulation?

adom86
09-10-2010, 02:24 PM
After doing a default sim of a memory limit of about 4.5gig, does the wavelet pass require double the physical memory if the WT spacing is set to 2?

jimmy4d
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
HEY ALL..just thought I would post my new fume work, yeah it needs a ton of work, but lots fun doing. Hope ya like....http://www.3dglove.com/10/web/just%20car_3/just_a_car.html.

circusboy
09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
FYI I found another workaround for the shadow/flicker issue.

I my case it seemed to come from a single (and only) light with very strong shadows (1.25-1.5). Turning off Fluid mapping seemed to be a factor but not a complete solution and I preferrred the look with it on.

So by far I got the best results - and no visual compromize by duplicating this light into a simple array (picture a stop light configuration) just so your lighting keeps the same 'look/source/direction'. I my case I got perfect (flicker free-but kept my strong shadows and fluid mapping 'as is') results with 3 of these lights (which yes increases the render time by quite a bit-and you might need to reduce the intensity each light). But if only two lights happen to work then the render hit might not be too bad. It might be the fastest 'flicker-free' workaround to try for this issue.

Worth a try methinks (but I didn't have time to experiment with less than 3 lights).

ThallDesign
09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
So by far I got the best results - and no visual compromize by multiplying this light into a simple array (picture a stop light configuration) just so your lighting keeps the same 'look/source/direction'.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean you keyframe one light OFF at a frame, while keyframing another one ON in the exact same frame and place?

circusboy
09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
No keyframing. Just positioned like a stoplight (traditionaly 3 lights) But not animated nor colored like a stoplight. Its just so the light source still looks like its comming from the general light source. Pretend you want to fake an area light and you have the same idea.

'Possibly' the lights just being duplicated (all sitting on top of each other) might be enough (no offset in position)-but another option I didn't have time to test.

amckay
09-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Circusboy yeah I've been talking with Kresimir about this, as originally I thought I had it sorted but it seems to be pretty random. However all the files I send him seem to render fine for Kresimir, so I'm still not 100% about what the main issue is
its odd!

circusboy
09-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I've had two fumefx flicker issues in the past.

1) Overlapping smoke boxes (flickers are always smoke related) say having a tiney detailed thick smoke fume box at the source near a fire say overlapping with a much larger (spacing/scale) diffused fume box. The two overlap to they visualy 'blend together' as one effect (rendered together). Max would always render the initial frame shadows/maps one way and the remaining frames another. So on a 40 machine render farm = major flicker issues!

But Kresimir doesn't have a render farm to test. However I sent (or my colleague sent him actually) my test scene with real easy repro steps that if he opened max 10 times and rendered 10 different frames (until he had a sequence of 10 images) he'd see the same flicker issue as the farm. He did and a 'eureka moment' and this one is supposedly fixed in Fumefx 2.0. :applause:

2) The other seems more like what I've seen kicking around this thread. And as I said before-my best results were duplicating any shadow light source fume was using. In my scene one light for the effect 'looked' perfect for this shot until the flicker issue showed up.
Meanwhile for *most* other shots I have multiple shadow lights anyway (key, bounce, etc) and the flickers were never (fingers crossed) an issue with those shots. Any one see different?