PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Netrender

binder3d
03-11-2003, 10:19 PM
I posted this on the "official" list and got silence. Isnt anyone using Netrender? My question-what software/hardware is needed to have the master running on a pc and then connecting to a mac for slaves? I work in a mixed pc/mac area and want to use both. What is the best way to set this up so the pc can see and use the mac as a slave?

Thanks.

PJC
03-11-2003, 11:45 PM
wish i could help, but we're all PC's here.

I would guess that if you had the master running on a mac, you would just have to have RenderMessenger active on the PC's...I would give Steve a call if it were me.

- pjc

Kevin Sanderson
03-12-2003, 12:01 AM
I've seen the subject come up from time to time. I tried finding old list mail when I saw your question on the list, but it must be gone... here's a link to an FAQ that might help...

http://www.hash.com/hashfaqs/info/netrender.htm#t005

I have NetRender but only with PCs. Jason McAlpin used to post something about it, you might try chasing him down. He recommended PC Mac LAN if I recall...

Kevin

Wegg
03-12-2003, 01:14 AM
I used to mix both Macs and PCs in my renderfarm. I found that the Macs would render the procedural textures slightly different from the Windows machines. . .

Very frustrating. Hash Inc thought I was full of stinky brown stuff even when I SHOWED them the difference. . . <sigh> what a crazy time that was. . .

Anyway. . . all you need is a way to mount a server on the macs. With OS9, you can use DAVE. In OSX you just do the "Go", type the name of the share and it mounts it right there on the desktop.

For me. . . we have a linux box with samba on it. And we named it . . . Samba. . .

so I do a "Go" //Samba/Sharname

And it mounts.

This assumes that you have all your machines on an eathernet network, that they can all see each other, and you have a shared folder with read write permissions for all the machines.

Its kinda complicated. . .

Hence. . . we ditched all our macs and just bought cheap Athlons. . .

Boy I'm in a talkative mood aren't I. . .

koon69
03-12-2003, 04:37 AM
If the Pc and Mac render render the same file differently that pretty much sucks. Does this still happen? Whats the point then?

Wegg
03-12-2003, 05:13 AM
Athlons and Intels do too. . . Different Math processors on extreme procedural calculations. Trust me. . . you will NEVER run into it. . . Unless. . . you have all your models created with procedural textures. . .

PJC
03-12-2003, 05:58 AM
We had the same problem with Maya. Our SGI's would render differently than our Intel boxes, and it wasn't just procedurals. It was a pain in the arse. I don't think it's just a Hash thing...

- pjc

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.