PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Fur like shader in Maya, using sampler info

Carina
03-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Right.

Just thought I'd post this here before I share it with the world.

This tutorial is made for people who know their way around maya but might want to get a bit of introduction to some of the more interesting nodes in Hypershade.

Let it rip. If you want to suggest any improvements, feel welcome to!

http://www.smallwhitefurballs.co.uk/tutorials/fur.html

Chappo
03-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Very nice Carina ! i like it alot...

You certainly know more about shaders then me ;)
Alles goed verder ? :)

Carina
03-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Glad you like it Chappo!

I'm not actually from the Netherlands, and my dutch is quite crap really. I understand most of it though;)

fango
03-14-2003, 03:39 AM
the tutorial is well done and pretty clear, i can say i know my hypershade better because of it. )

carina, did you check emmanuel campin's website, pixho.com ? in his tips/mel scripts section, the velvet texture and ramp color scripts are pretty interesting. he did a little short (waiting for aurianne) using the velvet network, i think it looks pretty interesting.

ok now i m going to test your tutorial again, thanks a bunch :)

Carina
03-14-2003, 06:05 AM
Hey fango!

I'm glad you liked the tutorial.

Back when I started out with the hypershade, someone explained some features to me, like the ray direction and normal camera and how you could use it in ramps for example.. Looking at the scripts at pixho.com it does make me wonder if perhaps that person had been peeking at their scripts..

My method of doing the ramp colours is very like theirs.
I hope noone will take offense...

fango
03-14-2003, 06:22 AM
:) i dont think pixho will take offense. i was asking about pixho.com because the deisred effect from your tutorial was similar to the one used for the velvet texture script, and if yes i was interested in how both of you could get to that effect with different workflows.
i played around a bit with your tutorial and noticed some very hard lines between colors, even when i set the interpolation to linear. i think i had a similar problem with ramp per particle in maya dynamics. the thing is if the "first" color is different than the "last" the color of the shader jumps from one to the other in a hard transition. with not many lights it s looks ok, but when you start adding lights everywhere it s quite noticeable. the only way i can think of to get rid of that is to have a transition color both at the start and the ending of the ramp.. (i think you did that in your screenshots) but sometimes you don t want that (with a lightinfo for example.) i m not hardcore into maya shading so maybe my problem is just me being dumb though :shrug:

anyway, again, great tutorial :)

Carina
03-14-2003, 07:23 AM
About the hard lines if you have different start and end colour, you are right. I forgot to add a note about that. In my examples I use exactly the same colours for start and end colours. (I shall add this to the tutorial so it does not create any confusion).

I haven't looked at the velvet shader from pixho, but I did look at the ramp color one this morning, and the step with the vector products etc that I use and then the input to the ramp is essentially using the same method. They have gone further though, with luminosity nodes and the likes.

On a side note: Out of interest I tried the rampColor script out, and it works great in maya's renderer, but crashes when I try to use it in Mental Ray.. It seems like the extra attributes that are added (the min max stuff) is what causes it.. Does anyone know why? Is this a bug in mental ray?

Ministry
06-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Ur thread has got some error and itis not showing off. Please check that out. regards

Stahlberg
06-18-2005, 03:57 PM
did you check the date? That thread is over two years old! No wonder things are missing

Dr. Ira Kane
06-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Ur thread has got some error and itis not showing off. Please check that out. regards
ROTFL........

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2005, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.