PDA

View Full Version : T-Pose vs. arms at 45 degrees? Whats best?

artsn
04-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I was wondering what some of the TD's here thought about the merits or disadvantages of either of these methods. I am interested from a next-gen console perspective only. Seems to me the stretching of the shoulder and the change in mass of the deltoid as the verts fan out just doesn't look that great when rigged in a T-pose. Are there tricks that make this a non-issue or is modeling and rigging everything at 45 degrees better? Any input would be great.

eek
04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
The 'ride an invisible motorbike' pose ive found best - old school davinci classic t-pose causes no end of weird stretching muscle problems.

EricDLegare
04-22-2007, 10:45 PM
The 'ride an invisible motorbike' pose

Haha ! I'm so using this quote at work tommorow :scream:

-edit- Oh and BTW I agree :deal:

Chinwagon
04-22-2007, 11:45 PM
I'll add my agreement to this as well. I usually use arms at a 45 degree pose with elbows bent too. I reckon the invisible motorcycle pose would be even better. It's much better for skinning when you start at a point that's half way between each joint's extremities.
For animation however, it's a different story. I think a default pose (or zero pose in maya) should be a T shape or da Vinci style pose. Modellers don't usually make characters with arms at exactly 45 degrees, they differ slightly each time. If you're animating a character, you need to have a good frame of reference for what angles are what on your character. For example, you want to know that and X rotation value of 90 will alwyas put the arms by the side and that a value of zero on the elbow will be a straight forearm. This is also a necessity when transferring animation from one character to another.
I think the best way to go about it is to set up your rig in a T pose, use the animation controls to put it into the invisible motorcycle pose that your model has, save that pose so it can be recalled when needed and then start skinning.
:)

Ruramuq
04-23-2007, 03:18 AM
if I understand correctly, I've been using similar method as Chinwagon, one pose for rigging and another for skinning, though I think that 45 is not a rule, it depends on the limits of movement of the character.

I used to have this method about posing all joints at 45 degrees, or in other words, to pose each joint in an intermedia situation of it's movement limits.. but nowadays I realize it is too much for most cases, and therefore not a wise decision for simple characters.

skinning depends on rigging anyway

BoostAbuse
04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Relaxed pose for me, always... T-Pose makes it a nightmare to do any simulations with. I've always used the 45 degree bend at the shoulder, slight bend in the lower arm, relaxed hands and fingers, slight bend in the legs and so forth. Makes life easier when skinning and also way easier when I am adding simulations to the mesh.

-s

MikeRhone
05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
I prefer rigging a character that is in a loose relaxed pose as everyone above has suggested. It helps ensure the modeler has edgeloops where they are most needed around joints, and muscles are much easier for a rigger to work with when they are loose and not in extreme positions.

T-pose is old school for riggers that were too scared to edit joints in non-orthographic views.

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.