PDA

View Full Version : Simulate Water Particles??

E-rock
03-11-2003, 07:58 PM
i have scene where a buoy is being tossed around by waves. i was wondering how i could simulate water splashing from it, against it and over it. i'm not sure what type of emitter to use and what attributes to use to get a simulation like that.

any suggestions??

thanks
-eric

SPENEN
03-12-2003, 09:42 AM
There are a couple of good fluidsimulator plugins on www.highend3d.com , what they basicly do is to make sure the particles dont come to close to each other, and make them attract itself to other particles.

,.-'`SPENEN`'-.,

mtheory
03-12-2003, 07:23 PM
4.5's ocean shader tutorial does exactly that...but with a box...its in the docs

Octagon
03-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by SPENEN
There are a couple of good fluidsimulator plugins on www.highend3d.com , what they basicly do is to make sure the particles dont come to close to each other, and make them attract itself to other particles.

,.-'`SPENEN`'-.,

you can fake that specific effect by using a newton field and attach it to all particles in a particleShape (use selected as source under the fields menu).
I once tried that method to fill a glass with particles and it looked kind of okay. But i didn'nt spend enough time with it to see if it's _really_ usable (dont try putting 10000 newton fields in a maya particles ocean or expect semi-interactive performance :applause: )

cheers,
matthias

SPENEN
03-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Cool, i have to try that =)

FloydBishop
03-19-2003, 06:39 PM
If you are talking about trying to simulate the splash that would happen when the object hits the water, you could use a collision event to generate the particles. Add a gravity field and play with the settings of the particles to get the desired look and feel.

I've not had much luck getting a believable water splash with blobbies. When the particles spread out, the splash loses it's volume and big chunks of the splash disappear.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.