PDA

View Full Version : Chopstick rig problem

no-name-party
04-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone!

I've to animate a chopstick. It is my first time to rig something.
I decided to use 3 bones. One for the "leg", the next for the "body" and
the last for the "head".
Here you can find the scene (http://www.no-name-party.de/example.jpg)
After this i used the IK Handle Tool to control it easyer. But you can see
the chipstick isn't moving smoothly. It should look like a bow. I don't
want this corners.

My next question is, how can I control the direction the bones are moving
when I am using the IK handle. For example I wouldn't like this moving in the
right.. but rather in the left side.

I hope you can helb me :)

THX

s7eben

djx
04-22-2007, 07:20 AM
I think I would set up the bones and the IK differently. I would have the joint heirarchy root at the pelvis, not at the foot like you have. So from the pelvis there are two branches - one to the foot, the other to the head. Then my leg IK would be from the pelvis to the foot. This will enable you to animate the foot and the pelvis independantly, which I think will give you better control. (You might consider adding a knee joint too).

To control the way IK rotates the internal joints you just need to manually rotate the joint in the direction you want it to go and do a "set preferred angle" in the skeleton menu. After that you can rotate it back to its neutral angle and add the ik handle.

To make the mesh bend smoother you need to paint the weights so that the effect of each bone overlaps the next one. Alternatively, instead of binding the mesh to the bones, you could first add a lattice deformer to the mesh and then bind the lattice to the bones. The lattice deformer has a local effect parameter that you can increase to get a nice smooth bend.

no-name-party
04-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I'll try it :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2007, 09:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.