PDA

View Full Version : Setting pose to pose keys

TRi-14
04-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey guys!

When I am working with a character that i have downloaded or someone has sent me, and i want to start animating a scene with it. For starting with pose to pose (which i prefer) i usually grab all the keyable controls and make a mel script that will select and key all of them.

for example, i will pose him, hit the mel script button and key him. move ahead a few frames, and pose him and hit the key script again.

this seems to work well and i just wanted to ask what some of you guys do in this situation.

-chris

Pascaru
04-21-2007, 08:38 PM
I think that's a pretty good way to approach it.

The only thing I see is that your MEL button will only be used for that one purpose only.

I personally would have one button to "select all keyable controls", and either hit the S key, or create another MEL button to "set key on desired attribute". This second button could be "key all" or "Key translates and rotates", whichever you need.

Then you can use that first "select" button for other things, like if you need to delete a key that you set for example, or to move the key in the dope sheet.

hope that helps.

steveblake
04-21-2007, 09:26 PM
May help to make additional buttons for each individual body part too. Try having them toggle instead of just selecting, that way if you have a button to select all, you can then de-select various parts by selcting their on/off button(s). Ie not adding redundant keys on everything at every pose.

Also I found a load of scripts here (http://aaronkoressel.com/index.php?nav=tools) the other day that may help with the post-blocking cleanup.

ErikSvensson
04-21-2007, 11:15 PM
I personally would have one button to "select all keyable controls", and either hit the S key, or create another MEL button to "set key on desired attribute". This second button could be "key all" or "Key translates and rotates", whichever you need.

Isnt it just to press shift+W, E, or R when "all" is selected? Like if you just want to key translate, Shift+W, etc.? :)

I animate this way too, it's very good to use "selection sets" instead of character sets. No unwanted keys, or beeing in a ALL-mode all the time. But as someone said, it's good to have different parts in different mels too, like arms, fingers, legs, torso and head/neck. Make a character shelf, make all buttons and name them smart, and there you go . :)

Erik

Pascaru
04-22-2007, 04:42 AM
yes Erik, pretty much the same, it depends on your needs. :) We are only talking about the process of blocking the animations here.

My message was in response to the way tri-14 was blocking the animations: I suggested to have a script to select what needs to be keyed (which is everything in the blocking process), separate than the one who would set the keys.

(if you create custom attributes on certain controls, u would need to either key all or specify which attributes to key, shit+W/E/R wouldn't work anymore)

There are tons of ways to key the body parts (no right or wrong), yes, but you can create this "select all" button that you would use for the blocking process.

ErikSvensson
04-22-2007, 09:02 AM
yes Erik, pretty much the same, it depends on your needs. :) We are only talking about the process of blocking the animations here.

My message was in response to the way tri-14 was blocking the animations: I suggested to have a script to select what needs to be keyed (which is everything in the blocking process), separate than the one who would set the keys.

(if you create custom attributes on certain controls, u would need to either key all or specify which attributes to key, shit+W/E/R wouldn't work anymore)

There are tons of ways to key the body parts (no right or wrong), yes, but you can create this "select all" button that you would use for the blocking process.

Ah. My bad :) I got what you meant now. Then it works very well as you said too. And yeah, there are tons of ways to set keys, and that's good, I guess :thumbsup:

Erik

TRi-14
04-22-2007, 07:25 PM
awesome. seems to work well for me when just setting out the pose to pose first pass of a scene. i use to use character sets but when i got into the graph editor or dope sheet, it just got so messy. i just like to see what other people prefer. gather as much info as i can to make for smoother quicker blocking.

GreenShellFactor
04-29-2007, 05:03 PM
This may or may not have already been mentioned, but instead of even messing with MEL (keyable attributes, quick select sets, etc.) you can select the control objects in the scene and then under the character menu of the animation module, you can "Create a Character Set." By default, it basically creates a character node of all keyable attributes of the objects you selected. This works well in pose to pose because it will automatically key EVERYTHING that is connected to the character set, whether it was moved or not. Also works well when doing straight ahead animation in conjunction with turning auto keying on. However, be careful when moving and removing keyframes because it will remove ALL keys unless the character set is deactivated. Just something else to consider. Good luck!

~green

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2007, 05:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.