PDA

View Full Version : problem with MAC PRO 8 core fan noise

cooperunionstud
04-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I have had my mac pro for about a week now. so far everything has been good except one thing. When i am under windows and running 3d max. depends on how long i have been rendering. the fan noise would all of a sudden shoot up VERY high. The Mac pro is generally very quiet so this sudden increase in noise seems to be abnormal. not only is the increase in noise very annoying. the noise does not go away. as the fan will keep spinning at a very high rate unless you turn the computer off entirely. Even then, when the computer restarts. the fan noise will return again and the only real way to stop the noise is to unplug the power cable and reinserting it back in and restarting.

anyone else notice similar problems in their mac pro? or dual woodcrest processors systems?

[UPDATE]

i just talked to an apple technician, and I have found the problem. I described the problem with the technician, and as usual he states that apple doesn't support Windows related problems as the softwares i was using were under windows. I asked him how i can duplicate the problem on the osx side since 3d max and realflow was'nt available under osx. he told me to boot with the installation disk and run a system hardware test to determine if the issue is related to hardware and not software. i was told that the system hardware test would tax all 8 cores, there fore creating a similar scenerio as realflow or 3d max rendering. and indeed, the test alerted me that the exhaust has an error. Now i hope this is isolated incident and not something accross the board with all 8 core mac pros. because other wise apple is in mighty trouble.

needlesly to say, i am getting a replacement computer. but thats complicates the fact that i have to move tons of files around to keep them while i wait for my new computer.

el_diablo
04-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Have you bought any additional RAM from 3rd party vendors? Does it have the same heatsink as the Apple default RAM? I have heard of fan speeding up if the heatsinks on RAM arent adequate.

cooperunionstud
04-21-2007, 06:58 PM
i bought 3rd party ram and it has heatsink on it. however i doubt thats the problem.. i think. it might be a bootcamp thing, where it doesn't know how to handle fan speed under windows

DanielWray
04-21-2007, 08:17 PM
just a rough shot, you could try resetting the Pram and SMU, its one of these that control fan speed.

does this ever happen in mac os x under full loads

Saurus
04-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Maybe bootcamp doesn't allow XP access to CPU temperature and fan speed control. I guess a quick fix is just to keep fan going no matter what the temperature. You probably have to wait for the next bootcamp upgrade. Not unless Apple likes to keep XP loud to annoy users...:p

cooperunionstud
04-21-2007, 10:13 PM
i have been trying to test the issue, and the issues doesn't just pretain to 3d max. during intense realflow simulations. the mac pro will freeze and the fan will kick up to maxium speed. there is no way around it other than to restart the machine after unpluging it. I am gonna call apple support on this issue and see what they say about it.

imashination
04-22-2007, 01:58 PM
The high speed fans are a safety failsafe. If the machine fails catastrophically then it rams the fans up to full speed because it is no longer able to properly monitor what is happening. the high speed fans arent a problem, theyre a symptom of something else going wrong.

DanielWray
04-29-2007, 05:24 PM
yea i would call technical support, i doubt they will be able to fix it over the phone. but with any luck they will issue a repair.

but usually they will try resetting the PMU etc and if nothing works itll be a repair...or they will bung you off to MS who wont support windows since its on a mac :(

Randybob
04-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I haven't noticed anything similar with the 2x dual core Mac Pros at school, but we haven't come close to pushing them to their limit. They don't allow boot campery either.

cooperunionstud
04-30-2007, 11:52 PM
i got my mac pro replacement today. ran the diagnosis test and all is well. no more fan problem.

Digiegg
05-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Dude! I'm trying to get me a Mac pro 8 core too in the near future.
I was wondering how everything was. Must be really sweet using 3D apps on that computer huh? How's windows XP on it by the way?

hastyle
05-02-2007, 04:14 AM
i also have the 8-core. its a great computer! i ran vista first, but had alot of complications installing max 8 & 9! :( god i cant figure out why, both copies i had worked on xp. i got feed up and installed Xp! its great, but um i got the 4 gigs of ram, and its only detecting 2! so im kinda screwed right now.

DanielWray
05-03-2007, 12:15 AM
You could trying running a 64-bit windows version, see how it goes. you could use the full 4GB then :D

doesnt XP limit core/ threads per application aswell

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2007, 12:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.