PDA

View Full Version : A Lonely Sky film starrring Keir Dullea now Online

nickryan
04-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi All

In December I posted a link to my site and trailers for my Short film 'A Lonely Sky' , and now I have put the full film (10 Minutes) online. At the moment it is only in standard definition as a quicktime movie (90Mb). I do have a 720p version, but it is a tad large! Not too sure about how about making torrents, but if someone wants to help me on that I'd be greatful to hear from them!

www.alonelysky.com (http://www.alonelysky.com/)

In 1947, a test pilot who will risk his life to break the sound barrier, is forced to question his reasons and abilities by a strange yet familiar man. Starring Keir Dullea (2001, A Space Odyssey, The Good Shepherd), Paudge Behan (Veronica Guerin), Padraic Delaney (The Wind that Shakes the Barley, Legend). I wrote, directed and co-produced

There is approximately 5 minutes of entirely CGI effects in the finished film of 10 minutes. This was all completed at HD resolution (1920x1080) for projection in theatres as a scope print.

All the 3D was done in XSI and composited with After effects, with Vue for some terrain generation for matte paintings.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the final film.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.alonelysky.com/Film_Stills/content/ALS_FILM_02434__large.html
http://www.alonelysky.com/Film_Stills/content/ALS_FILM_11982__large.html
http://www.alonelysky.com/Film_Stills/content/ALS_FILM_07003__large.html
http://www.alonelysky.com/Film_Stills/content/ALS_FILM_11982__large.html

http://www.alonelysky.com/Sc4_3_fade.jpg
http://www.alonelysky.com/images/IntroScreen_2.jpg
http://www.alonelysky.com/Film_Stills/content/ALS_FILM_07003__large.html

PaulT
04-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Been looking forward to seeing the full version of this for a while. I love the idea, style and execution. The vfx is top notch too. Although a minor point, the greenscreen fx in one of the pilot cockpit shots didn't quite hold up. Is the smoke after the initial crash a 3D solution? Overall excellent short, looking forward to seeing more of your films and getting a HD version of this one. :thumbsup:

flumpa
04-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Eyy, sweet.. 5 Stars from me :applause:

NoFatClips
04-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Not too sure about how about making torrents, but if someone wants to help me on that I'd be greatful to hear from them!

If the file is up to 200MB you could use Divshare.com
To create torrents, this is a small but good source:

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-create-a-torrent/

EDIT: Another solution is Spin Xpress. It allows you to store your stuff on the Internet Archive while retaining copyright on it (you don't have to realese it as PD or CC, while it's not as bad as an idea...)

http://spinxpress.com/

You need to create an account both on SpinXpress and on archive.org to upload.

nickryan
04-24-2007, 08:41 PM
There is a Mirror site up now

http://www.ingramworks.com/lonelysky/ALS_PAL%20h.264.mov

Thanks to Javascream for that.

I have also put up a High quality Flash (FLV) file on the front page

Canadianboy
04-25-2007, 04:26 AM
wow that was awsome. great storyline and awsome work guys! :applause:

jammin
04-25-2007, 06:49 AM
really, really nice.
love that shot just before/during the sonic boom.

kwood
04-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Fantastic work. Really glad to see you got it completed and posted for everyone to watch.

I thought everything was done very well, I enjoyed the composition and visual elements that were in the film; I can't wait to see what else you can put together in the future. :applause:

-Kyle

nickryan
04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi

Thanks for the comments. I am glad people like the story.

Guilherme Albuk has kindly put up another Mirror and even offered to host a 720p version.
I'm getting a 720p version ready.

Here is a link to the Mirror

http://guialbuk.com/als/ALS_PAL%20h.264.mov

Many many thanks to you all.

Cheers

Nick

nanopill
04-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Just perfect! The actors, the direction, the story, the vfx,...awesome!!!

nickryan
04-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi

Guilherme Albuk has very kindly offered to host a 720p version of the film (this is the interim Hi-Def format 1280x720). It is a 232Mb Quicktim H.264 file.

Here is a link to the file

http://guialbuk.com/als/ALS_720p_H.264.mov

There's a lot more detail in there! It gets you that bit closer to the cinema experience!

Cheers

Nick

eoryan
04-27-2007, 05:01 AM
The CG parts are beautiful and understated in keeping with the poignancy of the story - Great story, great film man

Russta
04-28-2007, 09:40 PM
the film is beautiful, good job. I think i missed something in the story though, is he speaking to himself in the future?

katana2665
04-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Nice story. Well handled. Raises the question 'what would you do?', with a whole bunch of soul searching...

lildragon
04-30-2007, 03:57 AM
That was really well done. Congrats.

{plugged}

Take care,

~t

Spaceland
04-30-2007, 04:38 AM
That was very interesting story there. I like movies about the sound barrier and the work to push the enveloppe. Congratulations to whoever work on that. Great work.

crazybread
04-30-2007, 04:43 AM
Very well done, Congratulations! 5 *s!!! :thumbsup: Great Picture!

Zander
04-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Congratulations Nick. What a wonderful accomplishment. You should be very proud of this indeed. One of my favourite films is The Right Stuff......................and this has exactly that.
This is what inspires us all. Look forward to seeing more from you. Best of luck buddy

hinoon
04-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Super job. The CG is seemless. Reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode. Has a similar feel.

eagleeyeadvertising
04-30-2007, 07:37 AM
it is awesome man keep the good work going

killamill
04-30-2007, 08:49 AM
dude... awsome awsome work!...

uīve got to be really proud!... congratulations!!!...

warpy
04-30-2007, 09:02 AM
i think its a first, quality and acting wise. hope you win your bag of awards. 5 stars

rollmops
04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Excellent movie!
CG work is soo soon forgotten and serves soo good the story!
:thumbsup:

lehmi
04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
just love it

excellent film with great mood.

The FX achieved 99% photo realism imo... looked too clean sometimes... but can't really point my finger onto what I missed...

/edit: almost forgot... the font on the plane was awful - looked like comic sans)

but nothing important

gpepper
04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Just excellent...

effstops
04-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Incredible job. Loved it! Great filmmaking sense. I loved how the final flight was handled - with a worm's eye view of the plane leaving the shot, thousands of feet above.

I'd love to hear more about the effects. The smoke in that first crash looked superb!

--Colin

Buhby
04-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Can you post more wireframes of the planes and such?

It's interesting to see someone succeed where I have failed :)

cesarmontero
04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Very nice short-film, I enjoyed it.
It is best viewed at full resolution.
Nicely written, simple but elegant.
Nice acting, specially from the crew.
I didn't liked too much the actiong of the guy that says "sorry about buddy

Technically well done, specially the more shinny metallic planes.
The one that tries to break the sound barrier looks a bit odd at times:
Reflections and speculars seem not to be there when plane is at mid air.
From all of the CG element, that is the one that would need more refinement.
The little leaves of the plant that move look a bit too CG too.

I really liked the interior shots, both from the bar and the planes.
The color management is really nice, it made me feel warm.
It was a nice short to watch!

Congrats on it!

elnady
04-30-2007, 09:28 PM
I'v been waiting for this one
Great work man
5*

tanicdesigns
04-30-2007, 10:49 PM
great man congats

MatteoM
05-01-2007, 12:31 AM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Great movie....

Matteo

Stalsby
05-01-2007, 05:01 AM
that was amazing dude!!! the 3d planes were so good!!! it looked very realistic!

FantasticPyroclastic
05-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Yeah, nice done!:thumbsup: Especially the story is cool. There are so many "hero-movies" out there, but this one was bracing.

lane_hawk
05-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Congrats on your film! It's really cool! Hope you recieve a lot of awards and opportunities.

Boone
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Top job on those visuals as I really believed it was live-footage, though I only viewed the trailer. And "Are we Alone" is pretty good too.

BTW, how is Keir Dulla these days? I havent seen him in anything since 2001: ASO...:D

Djampa
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey man, wish you the best luck !
Not easy at all to produce such short, you've pushed the envelope yourself ! ;)

Congratulations ! I liked it a lot !

Cheers,

Mindful One
05-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I think this captures the essence of what a short film can be. I know this took a bunch of hard work and dedication from everyone to pull this off. Well worth the effort I say.

This reminds me of the movie "The Right Stuff". I always enjoyed watching the determination and strength it took to make some of the super powered fighter jets of today. There was human sacrifice, and those who went through very similar tests remind us that gains in flight were met with high risk.

Thanks for sharing and good luck on the short film circuit. It would be nice to see this in a future Siggraph. :thumbsup:

Thanks again,
Steve

paulodonovan
05-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Excellent, I got Goosebumps watching the first scene, what more can I say.

Katachi
05-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Very cool vfx and I like the look and feel of the whole short very much. However, I honestly must say that the dialogs and actings are weaker than the visuals and didnīt really convince me. Especially in the beginning sequences. It kind of became better to the end but could be surely improved.

Overall good stuff and I wished I could do that. :)

WyattHarris
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
A phenominal effort. My non-CG coworkers watched it with me and they were as impressed as I was. Better still, they didn't notice any effects. The mark of quality work.

Wyatt

KyoshiB
05-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Really amazing. I loved it. Although I hate to nitpick I will mention one thing, joshua tree bristles don't blow in the wind( Edwards Air Force Base is not too far from where I live & I see those trees quite frequently( Some times in 50+ mph winds). Anyways the movie was done so well most people wouldn't notice it. I still give it a 5 stars. Auesome work.

tjguitarz
05-01-2007, 06:27 PM
EXCELLENT JOB! I honestly thought it was all done in "real life." I can't figure out at all what was CG and what wasn't. I'm pleasently perplexed.

HellBoy
05-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Very, very, very entertaining :D

I really love the lighting. Overall, 5 stars from me :thumbsup:

TCP
05-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Outstanding short. Effects were excellent, superbly edited and a great little story.

JamesMcPhail
05-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Fantastic work. Loved the story and the mood. Its great to see fully produced short films gracing CGtalk.

calmasacow
05-02-2007, 03:14 PM
@nick:

Hey can you share with us how you exported you highdef quicktime version. The colors are beautiful! We are have a big headache with it washing out that image. From what I understand this has to do with gamma correction in quicktime. I was currious how you were able to overcome this. The image quality you were able to achive is as good if not better than the stuff that apple encodes themselves.

Thanks in advance,

Cow

nickryan
05-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi All

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Real work!!!

First off, thanks for the front page!

Thanks for the really great comments. Its great that so many people have picked up on the story end of it. I know this is a CG forum but it is great that the story makes it through in the crits. Thanks to Bruce, Guilherme and NoFatClips for hosting mirrors. Guilherme has informed me he had over 22900 downloads of the HD version alone!

Boone: Keir was great, a real honour to work with. A lot of us are here because of 2001, directly or indirectly...He still talks very fondly of making that film.

Calmasacow: Not sure what the best advice is. I exported a TGA sequence (1920x1080) from FCPro. I then made both PAL and 720p versions as uncompressed quicktimes in after effects (As this scales the image correctly, quicktime does a crap version of scaling). From these uncompressed quicktimes, I exported as H.264 (75% quality) with AAC audio. I never touched gamma, and to be honest, it is paler than the original, but the images are pretty desaturated and dark to start with. Apparently Quicktime on a Mac is better. I hope I haven't confused you.

N

AVTPro
05-04-2007, 01:39 AM
I completely enjoy the 1280x720P...but I'm on a 30" Apple Cinema. Would love a 2k film. :)

nickryan
05-04-2007, 09:32 AM
There's just no pleasing some people :)

FerdiWillemse
05-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Awesome, going to watch it now. One quick question, what camera's were used?

nickryan
05-05-2007, 04:11 PM
The film was shot on a Panavison Millenium 35mm Film Camera with C series anamorphic lenses.

Darkflame
05-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Excelent stuff :)

Can I load this onto my Stage6 channel? (stage6 = youtube like site but with uber-quality streaming divx files)

atd
05-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Come one man, Ryan you make a beatifull short film. Top quality. You and Ruairi Robinson could be the next tarantino and robert rodriguez directors !!!, by the way Rauiri with his short Silent City get a agent in hollywood. Are you getting the same result. I hope for your luck.

Very good luck in the future !!!
atd3d

KimLeow
05-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Wow! great stuff there!

calmasacow
05-18-2007, 04:35 PM
@nick

did you use quicktime pro to compress the uncompressed quicktimes into h.264 or did you pull the uncompressed versions back in to AE and do it from there?

nickryan
05-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi

Quicktime Pro was used to create the H264 files from an uncompressed version of the movie (at both PAL and 720P resolutions).

Nick

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2007, 06:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.