PDA

View Full Version : nhmchallenge Mark Goldsworthy

MarkyG
04-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Hello, can I join the clean plate club?

I must admit this part was a challenge!

I ended up painting most of the additions with some cloning of the vertical stone work.

http://mgoldsworthy.com/mgCleanplate3c.jpg

rustbucket
04-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Looks good Mark. I ended up doing mostly paint work myself. Looking forward to seeing your concept!

MarkyG
04-23-2007, 03:31 AM
@rustbucket - Hey thanks man!,

I started on the extension. A fair bit of work left to do before the crazy stuff starts!
I took down the self illumination as much as I could. Also removed the signs. I need to take out those speakers on the right.

Good luck everyone!

-markg

http://mgoldsworthy.com/cgTalkplate3e.jpg

MarkyG
04-26-2007, 06:08 AM
okay, here's the finished extender plate. Those overhead supports were a bit of a nightmare what with the perspective shifts.

http://mgoldsworthy.com/cgTalkplate3g.jpg

MarkyG
04-26-2007, 06:10 AM
and I started work on the concept. I want it to feel really hot and dusty in there what with all that sand. I want to have some coming in through a broken section of the glass and maybe other areas of the roof. I might put some pools of water in there too. Anyway lots of work to do.

Cheers.

markg

http://mgoldsworthy.com/nhm_challenge_plate3hSand.jpg

SoniaNotRed
04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Great lighting and atmosphere! :drool:

andreasrocha
04-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Wow...really wow. Great going! I love it...

MarkyG
04-26-2007, 09:02 PM
thanks for the feedback andreasrocha & SoniaNotRed!

cheers!

markg

Ivy00
04-26-2007, 09:39 PM
That is sweet as heck , Love it :)

Layer01
04-27-2007, 02:46 AM
damnit man! that looks awesome!
I love the colour and feel, it has a "loud" silence to it.
reminds me of a book i once read as a child called something wicked this way comes, and it was about 2 children who lived in a museum that was filled/filling with dust and sand. It was set in a post apocalyptic future..in fact i think it was set in london too :surprised
it was a strange creepy book.

I'd love to know how you went about doing what you did. is most of it hand painted? did you get photos and mix them into the plate? I'm trying to understand how people are making these amazing works ;)

Matellis
04-27-2007, 02:53 AM
Great going mark! sick concept. I think that the back wall needs some light hitting it from some of those windows. Might help establish a nice focal point :D

AWESOME JOB!

Cheers

milanschere
04-27-2007, 10:17 AM
yeah, that looks awesome. like everyone said.

MarkyG
04-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Ivy00 - thanks for the great comments!

Matellis - yes! great idea. I will be putting some back in there. it might be nice to have it hitting a bunch of ruined debris. The statue with said light hitting it would work for the focal point. Thanks for the ideas!

Layer 01 - I used a photo of some dunes for a starting point. I then warped and distorted it to fit the comp. I then painted ontop of that to get the shapes I wanted. Then I added texture and detail on top of that to give it the look of sand as by that stage it had become very soft.

-markg

Ivy00
04-28-2007, 02:08 AM
ahh you tease ha ha I thought you were posting an update.. guess I better be patient :bounce:

JJASSO
04-28-2007, 04:59 AM
nice ! I like that concept a lot, you're working very good with the details and lighting, I think it needs lots of work yet , but you have a nice start here, keep it up!

mmontoya
05-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I really love where you've gone with this. All that sand provides a wonderful opportunity to plant some of those half-buried dinosaur bones in there to provide some visual interest! Another thing you might want to try to bring an element of storytelling to the composition is to show the semblance of a bush (perhaps in the pool of light you've suggested in the foreground) struggling to take hold in this arid environment to suggest the tenacity of life (despite horrible cataclysms, life will go on - or something to that effect). I would avoid any indication of water since this would detract from the bleak drama you have depicted.

Great work - I really can't see what's coming next!

thyn
05-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I love this one .... great idea mate ! And what a colors ....:bounce:

bonniedickson
05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
How can a concept look so good? it's an inspiration. I can't wait to see the final! :)

MarkyG
05-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi! I've managed to get some more done. I still have a bunch to do Gotta sort out them sand dunes far back and center and top left. I want to have the sand coming out of every little slit. Sand in the air and some little sandfalls (you know like waterfalls) Tired now 1am...

@ jamesvfx yes it was hard finding time to sit down and work on it but I did get some done finally! It's funny I keep thinking about this piece all the time!

@mmontoya that's a great idea! I love it. I'll see if I can work it in. Thanks. Oh and the water has gone.

@thyn Thanks my man!

@bonniedickson hehe this is the final now! I still have a lot of tidying up to do and a whole lot more work besides but it's coming together. Thanks for the wonderful words.

Cheers!
Markg

http://mgoldsworthy.com/nhm_challenge_plate3jSand.jpg

Layer01
05-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Nice update!
Its great to see these WIP's because they help me to understand how these types of pictures are built :)

But to be honest i think i prefer the first picture.
I prefer the warm yellow lighting, i think it makes it look hot and stuffy..and makes me feel like its difficult to breath. The colour in this one doesn't do that to me.
I also think this one is getting a bit busy and masked in textures..
I liked the simplicity of the first one, and its soft silent curves..it feels very quiet, this one seem noisy and active, i like the stillness in the first...
Perhaps the sand-falls should be smaller and more subtle?

I'll be interested to see how you take it from here, but those are my honest thoughts on the new picture.
Though dont get me wrong its looking great!
keep the updates coming :)

Quadart
05-12-2007, 01:36 PM
I really like concept and mood. The update is nice. My only suggestion would be to add a little more glowy illumination of the back wall that's in the shaft of light.

MarkyG
05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
@Layer 01 thanks for the awesome feedback! I took some of the noise out and played with the colour among other things. Love the comments.

@Quadart thanks man! I started to add more light to the back wall.

http://mgoldsworthy.com/nhm_challenge_plate3kSand.jpg

RQuack
05-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I love that little drift of sand coming of the window. Yeah, definitely liking the warmer colors, good stuff!

SamsonsReaper
05-13-2007, 11:18 AM
looks really good now.

But be careful with the darktones, details can get lost here.

pkneeshaw
05-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Great work. Composition works well. Colours work well. Like it a lot.

JJASSO
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
great !!! wow I really love how this looks, but I think the museum itself needs more definition, some highlights that can draw better its shape would help a lot, great image !!

Inlakechh
05-17-2007, 09:34 AM
wow ... great mood. Some more illumination on the statue might be nice to get it more into focus.

Squibbit
05-21-2007, 06:07 PM
this is one cool pic dude.

just needs a silhoutte of a man wearing a cowboy hat and a gun and a whip on his belt,
peering inside through the top window :)

bechira
05-21-2007, 07:10 PM
great atmoshpere! but I think after such a long period of time the windows won't last so long. u should get rid of them...and the projected highlights on the floor sand don't match the lighting coming from the windows. they are too close to the viewer....just a personal opinion

MarkyG
06-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Hey thanks everyone for the great feedback critique and comments. It really means a lot!

Here's the final image :

http://mgoldsworthy.com/nhm_challenge_plate3kSand3.jpg

This was a ton of fun to do. I really enjoyed the whole process.

Markg

Quadart
06-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Nice final touches. Looks real good.

moidphotos
06-15-2007, 10:43 PM
That's a really evocative piece you've made there, it reminds me of the work of Jacques Delmee, a contemporary Belgian artist who paints modern buildings as capricchios, ruined versions of their current states. I'd like to ask if you used any particular technique for creating the shafts of light in the top left part of the image, as I've been looking for a way to generate that 'light through foliage' from a point source look for some time and haven't achieved any results that have impressed me. Thanks for any advice.

MarkyG
06-18-2007, 03:44 PM
If I can remember I painted the "holes" first - nothing special just solid colour patches. I duplicated that layer (working in PS) and blurred it then changing the layer mode to screen. Then with a really large soft brush I subtly added more glow. Then on the original painted "holes" I duplicated it again and did a radial blur on it - I had to experiment to get the right angle so that it matched the perspective of the rest of the image in relation to the light source. With that done I extended the lines by duplication and additional painting. The radial blur filter extends the source in both directions so I had to erase where the beams bled past the holes.

Hope that makes sense!

markg

moidphotos
06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Thankyou very much for sharing that tip, it does exactly what I wanted! :thumbsup:

settler
06-21-2007, 07:27 PM
wonderful piece,
reminds me of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. It has the same feeling.

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2007, 07:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.