PDA

View Full Version : flourescent lights w/ Final Gather

johnnyMac
04-21-2007, 01:56 AM
i'm using maya 8.5 and rendering an interior space in mental ray. the space has hanging flourescent lights and i wanted to know the best way to represent linear tube lighting. i planned on making a polygonal tube, assigning a lambert material and crank up the ambient color with final gather. is this the best solution? is there a mental ray material or node i should use instead of a maya material?

thanks in advance for your input.

bkircher
04-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Depending on your scene, I'd imagine using an Area-Light with a Cylindrical Shape (MR-Section of the light), with a Cid-Colour attached to Colour and intensity set to the desired brightness, and 2ndary diffuse bounce on for FG will yield smoother result than illuminating simply through incandescend shaders. You'll have to Nonproportionally scale the light and change the attributes under "visibility" in the MR-Tab.

Also, you could then use GI if you encounter Noise or whatever.

As for using an incandescend material, both mib-lambert and a surface-shader should do the job.

johnnyMac
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
thanks for the response. i'll test it out tomorrow when i do some test renders. what is Cid colour? which attributes under 'visibility' do i need to change? i'm not sure if you mean i should toggle visibility off on the light. thanks again for the feedback.

Lamster
04-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I think what he meant was to use the MIB_CIE_D shader. Using this shader, you can specify the colour-temperature of the light. 6500K as your default sunlight colour.

Terence

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2007, 09:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.