PDA

View Full Version : Diamond "Fire" Effect in mental ray

jefftj86
04-20-2007, 07:38 PM
http://www.goodoldgold.com/classic/images/br134gvs104.jpg
I am trying to acheive that effect in mental ray under max 9. If anyone has been able to to use lens shaders and other mental ray shaders to accurately produce this effect for Animation **** please let me know how you went about building the shader structure and render settings.

Zephyr7
04-21-2007, 08:33 AM
You might want to try experimenting with mr's glare shader a bit.

Massemannen
04-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Try to get Jeff Pattonīs attention... Heīs truly a MR wizard

AnimG
04-25-2007, 12:37 PM
You maybe talking about dispersion which is what happens when white let gets split into its seperate wavelengths, this occurs from refraction when shining white light through a prism.

Jeff P. has done a material that fakes dispersion and is available on his website, thats a good start especially for diamonds and gems. Note that dispersion requires a surface to appear on. His max sample also has glare in the renderer as a camera shader which adds a nice post effect.

Anim

Blitzo
02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Really late post, but you could use l_glass beta 2 for the dispersion in the diamond using mental ray. I believe using the glare effect for output will also give you the lens effect you are asking for.

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.