PDA

View Full Version : Can't export normals or displacement. Help!

Matt
04-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm getting "Can not generate balanced trees due to low memory."

I've got 2GB of RAM, 4MB L2 cache, plenty of disk space. What gives?

pd
04-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Did you try to move the levels data out of the RAM to the harddisk? You can do this using Mesh->Move Levels Data.

If it still does not work I think there is not much you can do about it. You need to find a workaround. At the mudbox forum I've read about people exporting the lowest and highest levels to .bio. They would then reset and load the lowest level. When creating the displacement map they would use the 'load mesh from file' feature and pick the high level .bio file.

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I couldn't even export the highest level because when I tried to subdivide to it Mudbox also could not generate balanced trees due to low memory. I could only excess the highest level when I locally subdivided the mesh.

So what I ended up doing was locally subdividing a part of the mesh and creating the displacement map. I did this for 4 parts as far as I remember and then composed all maps into one. It's tedious, but it works.

I think Skymatter is aware of this problem and working on a solution.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2007, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.