PDA

View Full Version : nhmChallenge_Dave Baer

dave_baer
04-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey guys! Long time have I been a forum member, and long time since I've posted anything. Work keeps me busy. But this is something along the lines of what I teach my students at Digital Media Arts College in Boca Raton, Florida so I had to give this one a shot. I've seen some remarkable clean plates already - great work!

I've already been working on it while at the college, so I'll post my first image tonight. Stay tuned!

everlite
04-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey Dave (another Dave :-)

Glad to have ya mate, can't wait to see what you have in store.

- Dave.:thumbsup:

dave_baer
04-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Okay, I did a little work in between classes last week. Still working on the clean plate. This is what I have so far:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/Magnum_Man/Photoshop%20Work/progress.gif

The challenge said to extend the plate 50% to the left, but I've extended it in all directions. I may end up cropping it a bit though as I don't see much potential for the pillars on the right side. Not a very exciting area of the image.

I've been looking at some of the other entries and I have to ask; where are you guys finding some of those pieces in your plates? Are you guys actually going to the museum and snapping your own photos? If so, could ya send one my way? :thumbsup:

dave_baer
04-22-2007, 08:55 AM
BTW:: Did anyone happen to notice what appear to be skeletons hanging in the upper left archways?

Rockhoppermedia
04-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Quite recently i visited the museum and whilst walking around i noticed little touches the stone masons had done. There are a lot of hidden carved animals in places where you would not expect them like monkeys on the pillars, snakes in the arch ways. If you look really carefully at the walls you will see animals everywhere. The museum is fantastic as an example of architecture and is really a shrine to natural history. Unfortunately I did not take my camera along to get any of this. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks (after finishing a commission for a advert) i will get some stock shots of the museum. I will then share these out to any interested parties. It would be also interesting to see if the security in the museum has noticed that a lot of people are photographing in that particular corner. Coincidentally if you are interested what is behind the back wall you have the science museum followed by a glass building which was used in basic instinct 2.

regards Rich

everlite
04-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeh a few people have noticed the hanging skeletons :) creepy uh?

Hey Dave, now you HAVE to tell me how you did the transition thing, i was trying to get this but never figured it out :)

Cheers - Dave.

everlite
04-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Regarding the extra pieces, no i don't think anyone has gone to the museum, they've pretty much cloned various parts of the existing plate or created 3d elements. And yes feel free to extend in any direction you wish, the only requirement was that you extend the plate by at least 50% to the left or right, many people have realised that you need to go much further than this to get a good crop.

Cheers - Dave :)

dave_baer
04-25-2007, 11:52 PM
everlite: I did extend 50% - in all directions, but I see what you're saying about going further with it. Eh, no biggie... I can do that.

As for the transition - create a layered image with your progression and edit in ImageReady and use the animation features. Let me know if ya needs a step-by-step. :)

everlite
04-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi Dave, yeh i figured out the gif transition :) to be honest i've been using photoshop for around 8 years now and i've never created an animated gif or used IR for that matter, it's a good idea, especially for showing matte paintings.

Don't suppose you know much about setting up a composite material in max to use with multiple camera projections? now this is one thing that i'm literally pulling my hair out with right now :)

Cheers - Dave.

dave_baer
04-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Naw man, sorry. Maya user here.

I'll have a chance to work on mine more today so an update should follow soon.

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2007, 06:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.