PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO - 2 comps and Maya network rendering

mirkoj
03-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Does anybody have any expirience with this? Is there any wqy to let maya manage all about file and scene sharing or the only way is to for example set first 100 frames to render by one and other 100 by other comp if there is 200 frames?
Thank you

Paradyne
03-11-2003, 08:17 PM
unless you can script maddly, most people use a third party program. We are using smedge here @ work, check out http://www.uberware.net .

colt
03-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Check out highend3d. Therre are some scripts wich suffice if you only want to divide your animation on 2 comps. I use mayaNetRender, for simple purposes quite nice. (and it's free)

mirkoj
03-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Does those scripts also help with the texture problem?
For now I just set project on the other comp in the network, load scene, and reload all texture file to set right folder address and set to render every 2nd frame with diferent starting frame. But this would be realy painfull if there are more texture files. Is this problem with links to texture files also solved?

mirkoj
03-12-2003, 12:39 AM
And also.... reusing finalgathering maps with mental ray doesn't give right results. Will have to try few scripts :)
Thanks

colt
03-12-2003, 12:41 PM
You should organize all your files for your scene in a project folder. Maya stores the links relative to the scenes location, so different comps will find them. Then make that project folder accessible to all pc via your network and direct your network renderer to that network location of your project. Now it should find those files from wherever you start it, without changing your scene.
I don't know about Mental Ray integration. Haven't tried that.

mirkoj
03-13-2003, 02:17 AM
I also run into Parallel network rendering with mental ray. Just one thing: Do I need to have standalone ver of mentalray 3.1 or It's posible to use this if I have only free mental ray 1.5.1???

Maya Ayanami
03-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by colt
Check out highend3d. Therre are some scripts wich suffice if you only want to divide your animation on 2 comps. I use mayaNetRender, for simple purposes quite nice. (and it's free)

where is this so called "maya net render". is it any good.
what kind o stuff can you do with it

beaker
03-17-2003, 07:49 PM
>>where is this so called "maya net render".

Goto highend and do a search for it. Much faster than waiting for us to give you the link.

Maya Ayanami
03-17-2003, 07:53 PM
cool thanks.

magilla
03-17-2003, 10:50 PM
I have been trying to use Maya NetRender but it is very dodgy over a large network - I continually get black frames from machines that can't find textures or open files or some other error.

NetRender doesn't reallocate the files if they aren't rendered correctly or if one machine is lagging behind in it's allotted frames - nor does it have any remote access, so trying to stop a render in progress over several machines is very tedious. Great over two or three machines though. Probably your best single user option as well.

RenderQueue is probably your best network render option (which we can't use here cos of the firewall secutrity setup) Has been great for single user (which is free).

Haven't tried Smedge yet - getting it now.

RenderPal also seems to be ok for queueing files on a single machine, but a bit dodgy with it's output paths and output filenames.

--magilla

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.