PDA

View Full Version : 10.4.9 warning

osxrules
04-20-2007, 02:36 PM
If you are running Shake on a machine with integrated graphics, the 10.4.9 update seems to mess up the font display in text boxes and menus. Text displays larger and in italics. Also, selecting text causes striped lines to appear instead of the usual selection. Shake is still usable but it is annoying. I assume it's limited to machines with integrated graphics because I've seen reports of 10.4.9 causing no problems on machines with dedicated chips (if so, thanks again Apple for plaguing us with these - we seem to be having a lot of the issues you ridiculed PC users for all those years ago :thumbsup: ).

jhaydock
05-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Has anyone found a solution to this? I am having this problem now that I have updated my mini mac. I'm running a mini mac as i'm still learning shake and can't afford a mac book pro etc. Is there any way to roll back the update if there isn't a fix yet?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie.

osxrules
06-01-2007, 04:43 PM
You can roll back updates by doing archive and installs. Basically it means running the installer disc, choosing archive/install, which replaces only the system folder and some other system stuff but it leaves your other data alone. Then you use a combo installer to get to 10.4.8.

If the problem was specifically the GMA driver update, you could perhaps just replace those drivers (in the kernel extension folder /System/Library/extensions) from an older version of the OS. I wouldn't recommend this without a bootable external drive though in case you need to recover your machine.

Here's a link to the GMA950 drivers for 10.4.8:

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/180347/GMA950-10-4-8-zip.html

What you would do is copy your current set of those files to somewhere safe and drop the new ones in place. Then reboot the machine. If it doesn't boot, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to just do a safe boot holding shift since that disables extensions. But like I say, if you have a bootable backup, you can restore the files easily.

RiKToR
06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Has anyobdy seen if the recent 10.4.10 update solved this or is it still a problem?

osxrules
06-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Has anyobdy seen if the recent 10.4.10 update solved this or is it still a problem?

It's still a problem. There were no graphics driver updates in 10.4.10 and there should have been because the 8600M GT drivers are broken too (don't know if that affects Shake but it affects games). Roll on 10.4.11.

I submitted a bug to Apple but I doubt they'll respond to it. Even though Shake runs very well otherwise on a machine with GMA, it'll be unsupported.

RiKToR
07-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Outta curiosity could post a screen for the font difference I would like to see whats it looks like. I would really like to update to 10.4.9 for FCS2

Aneks
07-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I beleive that there where new nvidia drivers in 10.4.10 v1.1. But running Shake on anyhting but a dedicated open GL card has ALWAYS been a bad idea. I don't mean to sound harsh, but Shake's entire interface is openGL driven, so why would you rely on a box that uses intel's crappy inplementation? I guess because the app is so cheap now people forget it's actually a pro graphics app and think that they can get the best out of it form a mac mini or somethig ?!

Would you expect the same form Maya or XSI ?

t

osxrules
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
I beleive that there where new nvidia drivers in 10.4.10 v1.1. But running Shake on anyhting but a dedicated open GL card has ALWAYS been a bad idea. I don't mean to sound harsh, but Shake's entire interface is openGL driven, so why would you rely on a box that uses intel's crappy inplementation? I guess because the app is so cheap now people forget it's actually a pro graphics app and think that they can get the best out of it form a mac mini or somethig ?!

Would you expect the same form Maya or XSI ?

t

It's a fair point but Apple only have 3 options: a Mac Pro, which is more than most people would need and possibly out of most people's price range, an iMac, which has a built-in low-quality LCD screen (which costs a fortune if it breaks outside of warranty) or a Mini. If Apple had an option of a Mini with a good GPU, I'm sure the people in this thread would own one but Apple don't offer that choice. There is a rumor that one is coming though and I'll be pretty quick to upgrade if it comes out.

Anyway, the OpenGL requirements are minimal in Shake. As you say, it's just the interface. Besides these glitches, Shake runs pretty well on a Mac Mini if you have sufficient Ram so that you don't start paging the slower hard drive. I think it gets a bad rep just because it's the lowest end. People used to use Shake on G4 towers and the Minis are way faster than them.

Also, this glitch has just started in 10.4.9. Before that upgrade, Shake didn't have this glitch so it's not a flaw with the chips but the upgrade. Admittedly, the scrolling had issues before but that was all.

As for Maya and XSI, you can even run them if you do low-poly stuff (hardware-rendering doesn't work though). It's not as if it can't do 3D at all. You will be able to cope with scenes of around 100,000 polys, which admittedly these days is quite poor but sometimes having a lower end machine makes you a better artist because in the end you're not relying on the machine to make up for your mistakes/inefficiency. I see this so much these days with software where even word processors are hogging up hundreds of MBs of Ram. We used to to do word processing on machines with 16MB of Ram and we're still writing the same letters so someone is getting lazy.

Pixar made their first animations before we even had personal computers so the hardware shouldn't really matter, it just means a little more work on your part.

Dreamabyss
07-09-2007, 02:54 AM
If you think 10.4.9 is a problem, wait until Leopard comes out! I'm betting that Shake won't run well on it and Apple is done updating Shake. The only work around (if it doesn't run) is going to be running a separate partition for Shake and Tiger... or skip Leopard. I hope I'm wrong and we can get another year or two out of Shake while staying current with OS updates.

osxrules
07-09-2007, 11:45 AM
If you think 10.4.9 is a problem, wait until Leopard comes out! I'm betting that Shake won't run well on it and Apple is done updating Shake. The only work around (if it doesn't run) is going to be running a separate partition for Shake and Tiger... or skip Leopard. I hope I'm wrong and we can get another year or two out of Shake while staying current with OS updates.

Shake runs just the same under Leopard beta - apps launch quite a bit faster though because they've optimized the memory allocation. You won't have to stick with Tiger just for Shake. Unfortunately the same display glitch occurs so it looks like the driver revision of the GMA must be the same in both Tiger and Leopard.

RiKToR
07-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah I thinks its just down to these GMA950 drivers because Maya has problems with opengl and the default lighting settings that I have heard can be fixed by using the older chipset driver from the orginal intel mac mini, but since that driver was only available on that install of tiger I guess no such luck would be there.

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2007, 09:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.