PDA

View Full Version : nhmChallenge_Scott Keating

Keating
04-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi guys. I've never really worked on a fully formed matte painting project before, but this seemed like a great place to start. I kind of like working up from your basic clean plate to a full-fledged matte. Anyway, I'll cut right to the chase I guess. After several hours, I've got a clean plate. I always forget to take in-progress shots, but I managed to get one!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/465890678_5891db762d_o.jpg

It's pretty much all just hand-painted at this point, but most of the stuff is out of the way. Then I start working in the photo-textures and I transplanted a new floor with a tiny tiny bit of reflection for the final piece. Hope you like it :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/465890684_ada8387e4b_o.jpg

Thanks for taking a look! And a big hello to everyone, since I think this is the first time I've actually posted in this forum.

Keating
04-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Okay, some more progress on the shot. I decied to get rid of the speakers on the pillars, since they were a little out of place. That left me with a more or less clean plate with no human elements. But the lights are still on.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/468146580_4c4d46a8c1_o.jpg

So I turned off the lights and color corrected the ceiling. I mostly tried to eliminate the hotspots on the ceiling where the spotlights were shining, it's mostly successful I think. Alot of the roof will probably be covered up for my final concept anyway. I've also left the two lights on the far well since I'm thinking of using them later.

Everyone's really coming along with this so far, I'm loving some of the entries. I'm going to tackle the set extension next. Thanks for looking!

Keating
04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
So, here's my extended plate. Fixing all the perspective on the extra columns and archways was hellish! I really didn't think it'd be so difficult. I guess that's why Matte Painters get paid to do this! :)

Anyway, here's my extended plate. I may fix the windows behind the second floor pillars, since they more or less just repeat at this point. Anyway, up next will be my concept drawing for the final matte. Thanks for looking!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/470038896_accf030322_o.jpg

Cameo
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Yea great job Scott, I like the slight reflectivity in the floor. Yea I've not tackled the extension yet because I forgot my file at home today and I'm kind of dreading the perspective issues as well!

edit...and no it wasn't intentional :rolleyes:

Keating
04-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Well, it's not that bad! It was a challenge though, that's for sure. Alot of hand-painting for me.

Anyway, thanks for the comment! I think the reflective floor is probably a little more than that actual floor, but I found it really helped give it a little depth and remove some of the flatness.

Keating
04-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Here's my concept drawing for the actual matte painting. I've never attempted anything as complicated as this before, so hopefully it'll work out. I'm keeping most of the museum intact since It'd probably last a very long time. I'm sort of imagining the place becoming sacred, turning into almost a shrine of sorts. Something the people of the future consider mystical and strange. Maybe there are some monks or other people still living there as shelter. It's still slightly and a big tree has grown in there.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/470464186_26058c4917_o.jpg

Matellis
04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Hey Scott, great idea. I was also thinking about having it a place where the last remaining humans would live. Very nice concept and I am digging the tree.

Cheers

JJASSO
04-24-2007, 02:08 PM
nice concept and very good color palette, this will be a hard one, good luck, I will be lokkong forward

Keating
04-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys. I think I've probably bitten off more than I can chew since I've never really tried something this complicated before. But, oh well, t hat's how you learn I guess :)

Keating
04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/471466508_61bdba65be_o.jpg

I've raised the brightness of the image because my jpegs have been going dark recently for some reason. The actual image isn't nearly as bright as this, but that's okay. You get the idea :)

Grrrrrrr
04-24-2007, 07:11 PM
A tree raised on some staircases is really impossible. And also it outbalances the image.

Keating
04-24-2007, 07:15 PM
A tree raised on some staircases is really impossible. And also it outbalances the image.

Impossible? No, I don't think so. There are plenty of pictures out there of trees growing on old buildings, etc. Angkor Wat, for example.

Compositionally I think it can work, I'm still messing with the focal point a little, but thanks for the crit!

Kutkin
04-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Looking really good!
I think the tree might have grown there. But maybe if you painted the staircase more destroyed, it might look more convincing.

And extending the canvas a little to the right side might help too.

Keep it up

Cameo
04-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Scott

I really like your interpretation of the challenge. Great use of colour, the image has a nice feel to it. My original concern with your first sketch was that the tree would come to dominate too much of the space infront of the far wall of the nhm which is the main focal point of the original photo. Im not sure its current location makes the image look balanced (as others have commented).

Whilst you could have the tree puncturing through the steps, personally I would have a play with putting it either side of the staircase infront of the archways, imo that would reveal the far wall in a more compositionally pleasing fashion.

Good luck with the painting, I'll keep an eye on your progress

Keating
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the comments and critiques, guys. I'm really working hard on getting this to look right. The big tree is a real challenge, particularly the branches and whatnot. I'll post another work in progress soon. Thanks for looking!

Ivy00
04-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I had a friend that had a house built around a tree, was pretty cool. One thing you might want to consider is to make the branches above the metal beam supports (longer trunk) instead of inside the building, orr even higher in the building They can still hang down into the building, I just seem to focus more on the tree when I look at it and my eye won't go anywhere else. Just a suggestion , I love the whole concept cant' wait to see you progress on it.

Keating
05-16-2007, 08:02 PM
So, here's where I am in the latest version. I've been stalled on this for a while, since I've had alot of work in real Life.

Anyway, I've removed the ceiling and added alot of branches and things, along with some relighting. It's coming along :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/501231005_f87bf811dc_o.jpg

pkneeshaw
05-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Very nice. Not sure the lights would be on afer all that time though.

Inlakechh
05-17-2007, 08:28 AM
looking very nice. I'd change the ground or skycolor to fit each other more.
Great Idea to add depth to the side wall by sketching in windows in the back. keep it up. :)

Ivy00
05-17-2007, 10:21 AM
This is looking great :) much better with the elongated trunk on the tree, I agree about the lights though. Maybe swap em out for some torches?

Keating
05-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, my original design was to replace those lights with torches. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do, because I've been considering adding more electric lights in the foreground, like the building is being reclaimed by humanity.

Still not sure though :) Thanks for looking! I'm much happier with the tree and it's integration now than I was in the sketch. Also, the sky is mostly just dropped in at the moment, I haven't really dealt with it too much in relation to the ground.

Halford
05-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I really like your Idea, but I have to admint that I especially like the way you added depth on the side wall...nice touch!

Squibbit
05-21-2007, 04:59 PM
cool idea :)

RQuack
05-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, nice piece! I say go for the electric lighting because since the lights are on, I see the whole "reclaiming" thing happening too. It would be cool to see some sort of primitive lighting/generator thing going on. :thumbsup:

Quadart
05-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Nice.
How about a bioluminescent creature illuminating the staircase?? óJust throwin it out there.

Keating
05-22-2007, 04:54 AM
It's funny, I'd actually considered placing some bio-luminescent critters, maybe sluggy insecty things. But I think that stuff is really more the realm of character artists/modellers, so I'm not sure if it has a place in a matte painting. I'm still debating the lighting...

THanks for all the comments guys, It's great having this community with interesting feedback.

Keating
05-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Here's my final composition. I finished some of the rubble, fixed the windows, added some atmosphere and rain, then adjusted the hightlights and things to give it an overall 'wet' feeling.

I'm having some kind of problem with photoshop where my files look way too saturated and dark in a net browser so I've had to do some fiddling with it. Can someone please tell me if it looks too washed out or dark? Thanks!

I'm going to attempt the camera move, but I don't have any 3d software ( how do you guys afford it! ) so I'm going to try something simple in After Effects with 3d layers.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/519628905_834eab9173_o.jpg

bechira
05-29-2007, 09:34 AM
nice mood. I would make the rain drops much smaller and with more scale variation from back to front, so it don't look like a flat rain.

for camera projection u can use blender 3d- it is opensource program.

Keating
05-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Ohh, blender can do Camera Mapping/Projection now? I had checked it out a year or two ago and I didn't think it could pull it off :) awesome

SoniaNotRed
05-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Looks very reallistic! Love the roots and the way that wall caved in. :thumbsup:

bechira
05-29-2007, 09:43 AM
yap, u can do it:
http://www.blendernation.com/2006/05/31/videotutorial-camera-mapping-in-blender/

Keating
05-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Looks very reallistic! Love the roots and the way that wall caved in. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it, although I'm still messing with the rain and flog levels :) oh well :) Otherwise, it's been alot of fun! :)

Keating
05-29-2007, 10:15 AM
yap, u can do it:
http://www.blendernation.com/2006/05/31/videotutorial-camera-mapping-in-blender/

Awesome! Thanks! I don't know if I"ll have time to learn Blender is 2 days, but I'll give it a try :)

Keating
05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/520486359_d8be732773_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/520486359_d8be732773_o.jpg

Okay, here's my final version, I think. :) I fixed the rain ( Which would be removed anyway, in an actual film world ). And adjusted the colors to match more what I see in photoshop. I'm still not sure why there's a difference, but I think I managed to get close. The colors are alot more interesting in the original I think.

Anyway, take a look!

Inlakechh
05-29-2007, 09:49 PM
In my honest opinion your previous version looks more realistic. The greenish tone in the foreground looks very artificial in this version. I don't believe my uncalibrated screen is so far off to what you have on your screen, but to be sure it maybe better to wait for another member to comment on this image ... But man, great work anyway !

Quadart
05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
That looks great. The tree looks like an arcane repository of knowledge of everything that was ever exhibited in the museums history.
I would agree with Inlakechh on the foreground green cast. It does look a bit as though it were illuminated by a green light source. Although, I would not have noticed if Inlakechh did not bring attention to it.
Did you produce this on a mac? The mac/pc gamma issue or simply the photoshop proofing mode you were in when working on this may explain the difference in appearance in color (lightness) between the PS view and the web page view. If color lightening is the problem you are describing.

Keating
05-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Grr. Yeah, that foreground green seems to have gone radioactive :) I'll see if I can fuss with it some more. I'm not working on a Mac, I'm working on a PC with adobe running in SRGB color mode. It should be fine, but for some reason I get a very contrasty very saturated image when I save to a jpeg and view through windows. The jpeg looks fine in photoshop though. Oh well, I'll see what I can do :)

Thanks for the comments guys! I really appreciate it!

Keating
05-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Okay, another try at color correction. Bah.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/242/521065998_7faf2ca420_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/242/521065998_7faf2ca420_o.jpg

Layer01
05-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Yeah this version with less saturation is much better :)
My biggest crit would be the rain. Wouldn't it be better to not paint it in but rather add it in as an animated layer, which could include a camera pan, thus entering you into the final stage as well.
Because i didn't think that you had still elements like rain in matte paintings?? (well technically)
but other than that it looks great
..actually looking at it again, maybe the back wall needs a bit of grime/moss?

Keating
05-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Sure, the rain is just there as an indication of what would be in the final product. I'm not sure if I'll have time to get to a camera move so I'm just covering my bases for the moment. :) Thanks!

Ivy00
05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey Scott this is great, no crits except the rain that others covered already. I love the tree it came out awesome :)

Keating
06-01-2007, 03:57 AM
Thanks Ivy! I'm more or less pleased with how it came out. I'm actually working now at doing a camera move before the 6th. I think I might actually be able to manage it if I dig in to Blender tutorials :)

Thanks for the comment. Good luck with your entry in the contest. Everything looks awesome!

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2007, 03:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.