PDA

View Full Version : Need advice how to learn to animate a camera realistically?

KicoTheMan
04-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Need advice how to learn to animate a camera realistically with movements as from real camera in real world.

Any book or dvd is welcomed.

killamill
04-19-2007, 11:59 PM
then what you are looking for is not to animate a camera... what you should do, is track a camera movement...

try with software like boujou, it works very well... look for a tutorial on the internet to learn how to use it... is not complicated

cheers!

scrimski
04-20-2007, 12:27 AM
"Matchmoving - the invisible art of camera tracking" by Tim Dobbert. Comes with a DVD, several demo version of tracking programs, tutorials and image sequences.

earlyworm
04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Agree with what killamill suggested. But if you want to take it a step futher and learn to animate a 3D camera with all the imperfections that you get from a real camera operator then grab a real camera and start recording.

Try filming birds or a sports game with the camera using different focal lengths. You'll soon get an idea of how a real camera moves.

For doing simple tracking something like Voodoo tracker might do the trick.

jussing
04-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Well... if the purpose is to learn to animate a camera realistically, tracking isn't going to help much, is it?

My advice is to plan out your shot as a live-action shot, determine whether you're going for tri-pod, steadycam, hand-held, crane, helicopter or whatever. And don't always go for crane or helicopter just because they're free in CG. :)

Watch out for "impossible" moves ("panic room" stuff, flying under cars, helicoptering too close to objects, etc). They can be mighty cool, but if you're going for real, they're not what you want.

I agree with Earlyworm, grab a camera and start shooting. Read about cinematography, and copy shots from movies you like. Then replicate the moves in CG, and don't track them, or you'll have learned nothing.

Don't overdo the super-shaking, zooming-in and -out, and going out of focus. It's staggering how many CG'ers use that to make their footage look "real". Hell, I never saw any real footage with that much shaking, zooming and out-of-focus. (except for Tony Scott's recent movies, but they are so f*cked up they don't count)

:)

Cheers,
- Jonas

Rickmeister
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
there is this course, "Hollywood camera Work (http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/)" and it explains very, VERY well how you should use a camera. And not only a real one, same rules count for 3D apps. I really recommend you to watch some of the samples on that site, and consider buying the course.

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.