PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 3: (Barry "HyPer" Collins) : (Warhammer 40.000: Termagant)

HyPer
03-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Heres my work sofar, based on one of my old meshes, totaly new texture in the works.

Here is a good refference to get an idea of what im going for.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/ty3.jpg

Heres the images
http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/images03/termagaunt1.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/images03/termagaunt2.jpg

Krystman
03-11-2003, 10:53 AM
:eek: OMG, I'm just about to trow the towel for this comp :annoyed:

DaKrunch
03-11-2003, 01:51 PM
lol it's damn great!

SPyDeR WeBz
03-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Hey dude this entry kicks ass, i love that skin and i'm glad to see you becoming more frequent around da neighborhood.

I didn't have anything to do with it, did i?:surprised: j\k

Hope to see more yet in the future. I've been practicing but it's still a noob skin :).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two thumbs up cause i know this is going to rock.

Cya
SPyDeR

SouL
03-11-2003, 05:59 PM
You're such a bastard, man. I'll have to go back on my entry and really push it some more.

Awesome work, though. I really love the tightness of the shading you have on the gray area... and how you have all these little tiny form changes. It really gives it a lot of depth.

BUT WHERE'S T3H UN3RL1GHT?! :)

tpe
03-11-2003, 06:13 PM
that is some seriously nice shading, i am dreading to see the rest. Speaking of which, can we see the rest of the model or are you actually doing it in this order, finishing one bit totally and the rest later, are you going to have it come out of the floor lime that and what was the last one like? Ooops soo many questions, but then it is great work.

tpe

ckaos@om
03-11-2003, 06:54 PM
wooohoo !! gorgeous indeed !
All i have to say is post more !!!

MrHappyPants
03-12-2003, 01:06 AM
man that looks awesome! Ill be watching!

:beer:

HyPer
03-12-2003, 05:00 AM
wow, thanks guys, thanks alot..

Soul wants the biggest, brightest spotlight in the world to stick under his desk so he can have underlighting on himself. hehe

TPE: what was the last one like? as in the last texture? unggg, i dont think i want to show it, hah, its pretty weak.
nah, i dont think ill be having him burst through the floor like that, i may just have him eating my eldar guardian model for the beauty shot :D hehe

Ill be putting 1 to 3 hours into that every day.. spent 3 hours on it yesterday to get it to the point its at now.

did i mention i used no overlays? :)
all hand painted

Alright, back to my other work, ill put in a few more hours on him today in a few hours.

Ill post more of the model as i do more of the texture :)

thanks again guys

DaKrunch
03-12-2003, 10:52 AM
no! don't touch the poor eldar!

;)

mindrot
03-12-2003, 12:31 PM
looking good...

SuperS51
03-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Absolutely beautiful.

Jonny Bubonic
03-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Damn good texture work dude, and true to the GW style. I really like that tongue......

Asorson
03-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Beautiful texture work!

blc318
03-15-2003, 01:06 AM
Ive been waiting for an update on this guy. Ive always liked your work. One thing though... judging from the reference it needs more color in it. on the grey I see pinks and blues of the reference and just mainly grey in your texture. but thats some damn mnice and sharp shading

monotypic
03-15-2003, 06:37 AM
..........:drool:

HyPer
03-16-2003, 08:31 AM
wow, again guys, thanks for your responces, ill try and fit in time to do some more on him, iv been realy swamped recently, literealy all day every day working, ill try and fit in a few hours to get a nice update for everyone.
plus i just got access to my FTP again so it wont be a problem posting pics.

thanks for the crits too, taking those into consideration

btw, the necks done, thats about it beyond what you see there, plus some more detail on the face
ill post updates soon

HyPer
03-19-2003, 07:47 AM
UPDATE finaly

took some time to do some more on this guy, not much time left, but not a whole lot of skinning left to do ;)

http://www.coronaleonis.com/images/termagant3.jpg

Anders G
03-19-2003, 09:55 AM
woaaah

dur23
03-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Im luvin it hyper. Your skinnin already a million times further ahead than the last thing i saw you skin;)

/me kicks anders in the euro

HyPer
03-20-2003, 02:20 AM
http://www.coronaleonis.com/images/termagant4.jpg

WHOA ANDERS

hehe, not many people see what i skin dir ;) most of my stuff isnt public, thats why im working on a new site with a friend ;) thanks tho, im glad its a noticeable improvement over my previously seen stuff.

KoS
03-20-2003, 02:57 AM
great job on the textures :)

DustyKrakk
03-20-2003, 03:34 AM
I think it looks great so far.

The only thing I can crit on is that it looks a little photoshoppy.....a little bit plastic.

If that is the look you are going for (and its not a bad look all the time), then ignore me. ;) But I think it would greatly add to it if you added some overlay textures.....even if randomly applied...just to break it all up a bit. Some kind of high rez inner mouth texture or some strawberry jam might work.

Just dig around on the net and look for various stuff to just drop over the entire texture to add that little extra bit of "realism" to it.

As it stands....it looks nice. It just looks like you too a photo of the actual warhammer fig and slapped it on the side (which I know you didn't do...hahaha)

Hope that helps.

-Dusty

P.S. I LOOOOVE the colors on his underbelly. Nice attention to detail with the grey and red.

HyPer
03-20-2003, 05:35 AM
thanks Kos

DustyKrakk:
Thanks for the crits, i checked out your site, daaaamn nice stuff, realy dig the webpage graphics man.

yea, its got that funky PS look doesnt it... iv done 100% of this thing sofar by hand, all hand painted, usualy dont like using overlays, but i do have a few hundred megs of choice overlays :)
Thanks, too bad the figures arent that detailed eh? :)

thanks again, ill definately look into givinghim more texture and such, but ill probably stay totaly hand painted.. the colors are all pretty similar, not much color variation, that may help alot.

Mangled Poly
03-20-2003, 08:31 AM
those colors are awesome i love it!

DustyKrakk
03-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Sure thing!

And you are right, overlays aren't always the best....you have a good thing going here, but he definitely needs just a bit to break him up.....handpainted, overlay or otherwise. ;) You are on the right track though. its still impressive as is....

Thanks for the comments, btw.

-Dusty

Jonny Bubonic
03-20-2003, 08:31 PM
About overlays...normally I would agree but in this case I wouldn't bother. The Games Workshop style is often ultra clean and has a lot of saturated colour, just like this. You've done an ace job HyPer, and since this is about expanding an existing franchise I think you've got it spot on. Wouldn't be surprised if GW offered you a job :)
Having said all that, anyone checked out the MMORPG they're making based on the Warhammer fantasy world? Looking pretty dark, but good :D

MrHappyPants
03-28-2003, 09:09 AM
hows this one coming? your going to give everyone a close finish! hope you finish it up, youve got the whole weekend :p

:beer:

tpe
04-02-2003, 11:07 AM
What is happening with this :D :thumbsdow :hmm:
I wanna see it finished, sob, sniff

HyPer
04-02-2003, 11:14 AM
iv had no time :O
sorry to disapoint TPE
i may revisit it some other time, it was fun to work at that rez again, im soooo useto 1024 and 2048 :O
hehe

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.