PDA

View Full Version : ATI and NVIDIA cards together - dual display

WU2
03-11-2003, 06:32 AM
I have a geforce 4 ti 4200 as my primary card (one output only), so I got a ATI radeon 7000 PCI as my secondary card. The dual display is working OK, but I can't play any games or use Lightwave. I have read that I need to disable openGL on the secondary (ATi) card, but I dont understand how to do this. I can't even disable the card in the device manager (there is no option to). I'm very experienced with hardware, but I've never messed with dual displays before. This is Windows 2000 BTW. Also, is there a way the start bar can be on both screens? I can drag from one to the other right now, but its a pain. Should I go with Win XP?

Also, unrelated - what is the longest length DVI cable you can have? I have only seen 8 M as the longest, but am looking for something longer.

Thanks in advance.

derelict
03-11-2003, 08:21 AM
sick or u just have too much money.

WU2
03-11-2003, 10:19 AM
well actually i'm quite poor, and really frustrated at this point :)

GregHess
03-11-2003, 03:22 PM
The Nvidia + ATI card combo is reknown as one of the worst possible dual card combos. On of my friends tried for MONTHS to get the combination to work, but was left with constant instability, lockups, and a variety of other issues.

If the system was run with the nvidia card...it was fine. If it was run with the ATI card. It was fine. Put both of them together, and the stable, fast machine, turned into a hell demon of instability.

If you start looking through other forums, you'll see other individuals with the same problem.

My suggestion. Take back the 7000 PCI, and pick up a nvidia pci card. Even a cheaper mx card will do.

Either that, or upgrade the primary accelerator to a dualhead geforce4 ti. (Which is the most stable solution of the bunch).

As to DVI-I length, I've no clue. I do know with crt cables, you'll need extra shielding past 6 ft if your running at higher resolutions.

CgFX
03-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Windows does not provide a mechanism for a system with mixed OpenGL ICD's.

It is pretty important for OpenGL work that you use boards that use the same OpenGL ICD.

For nvidia this means any of their cards in combination. For ATI this means certain groupings of cards that share a driver since they have different ICDs for most of their chips families.

WU2
03-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks a lot guys...i was afraid that I was gonna have to take the card back (I only got the radeon over a GF4 MX because of price). Thats what I get for being a cheapo.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.