PDA

View Full Version : New to CG - Just bought Intro to Char. Anime w blender

Bardalgol
04-19-2007, 01:34 AM
Hello, as my subject says I'm new to CG Talk as well as CG art. I've been looking at all the art here on these forums and it's all just awesome!

Today I bought a book called Introduction to Character Animation with Blender. It came with Blender 2.42 and a suite of other software. But the book doesn't say what the system requirements are! I have an old PC which will be replaced with a whole new custom build (Quad Core, 8GB ram, GTX8800 video card, XP Pro 64 bit) in 2-3 weeks but I was curious if I'd be able to put the software in on this old PC or have to just read the book until my new system arrives? I have no video card and just 112 MB of RAM - I told ya it's old!

I will be getting the Painter X + 9 x 12 wacom Intuos tablet package deal from Corel's site will the tablet work with blender as well?

I love what I see about the new Vue6 Infinity landscape and atmopshere software - can animated characters and objects from Blender be used in Vue6?

Thanks for any info you might have for me!

thondal
04-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Well. here are the system requirements (blender.org)

Operating Systems

Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP or Vista
Mac OS X 10.2 and later
Linux 2.2.5 i386
Linux 2.3.2 PPC
FreeBSD 6.2 i386
Irix 6.5 mips3
Solaris 2.8 sparc
Minimal specs for Hardware

300 MHz CPU
128 MB Ram
20 MB free hard disk Space
1024 x 768 px Display with 16 bit color
3 Button Mouse
Open GL Graphics Card (http://www.blender.org/tutorials-help/graphics-cards/) with 16 MB Ram
Optimal specs for Hardware

2 Ghz dual CPU
2 GB Ram
1920 x 1200 px Display with 24 bit color
3 Button Mouse
Open GL Graphics Card (http://www.blender.org/tutorials-help/graphics-cards/) with 128 or 256 MB Ram

So.... and without a graphic card it would be rather impossible. Hope you get your new machine soon. I also bought that book, going to be using it in the next few weeks.

-thondal-

fktt
04-19-2007, 11:22 AM
well im running blender 2.41 on my old (laptop) pentium 166mhz 64mb ram & 8mb video adapter, tho note that the requirements(the ones that thondal listed) changed for 2.43 witch you can optain for free from blender.org

drdespair
04-19-2007, 12:39 PM
In regards to Vue, you can import models you make in Blender, but I dont beliave you can export animations, the only two packages that can dump animation data into Vue standalone is 3DS MAX (through a plugin) and Poser (directly), if you are using xStream then you can use standard software like 3DS Max, Maya, Lightwave and Cinema4d with it. But like I said static models can be imported with no problems.

Blender is getting some very powerful compositing tools now, so you might be able to integrate Vue renders (G-Buffer) with Blender animation in post production.

The interface in Blender is not idealy designed for a tablet, but I do beliave there is a build somewhere that makes it much easier to use one with it. (I think its has something to do with double clicking)

Bardalgol
04-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the input! Guess I'll have to wait but that's OK, at least I know the time is coming that I can use it! :)

When I found this book & DVD I'd been thinking of getting Mudbox or Zbrush for sculpting of organics (which of these is better they both appear generally the same to me), Lightwave 3D for buidlings, vehicles, & animations with the X-streme version of Vue. Would this allow me to create and animate mudbox/zbrush charcacters & lightwave vehicles around in the Vue environments?

I picked this book & DVD up cos I wanted a introduction to this sort of thing before I start filling up a CC on all that software only to find it's too confusing to use. How much does Blender differ from the other Polygon modeling and rigging programs? Workspace stills all appear the same to me. Since I'm using the book/DVD as tutorial to this whole system of 3D, is the experience I pick up in Blener easily transferable to Lightwave and Vue and so on? Only the tools are named differently I suppose?

Thanks again folks!

drdespair
04-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Zzzzzz.... Blender is unique out of the bunch, other then it being free I mean. Its current interface if fairly different from what you will find in Lightwave or XSI, and altought the principle is all the same I found it a strugle to get... um intuative with Blender, however there are many that say once you get used to the way Blender works you wont go back to any of the standard interfaces. There is a Summer of Code thingy that is supposed to redesign the interface of Blender completely, so it may become, easier :) eventualy for users of other software to jump into Blender, but not for the moment (my point of view anyway)

Mudbox and Zbrush... Mudbox at the moment is realy just a sculpting tool, it was designed to fit into a workflow with other texturing/animating/rendeting applications. Zbrush is both a sculpting / modelling (using zpheres, altough both software make use of primatives as starting ground for sculpting), and painting/texturing. Mudbox has a common interface like most 3d software, Zbrush is a bit unique but not difficult to learn.

I would also recommend you look at Modo as a modelling / painting application, works great and one of the easiest to learn tools I have had experiance with.

And yes the workflow you mentioned should work quite well, I am assuming you are a beginner to this, so becareful not to take too huge of a chunk to chew, most of this software takes a while to get comfortable with each in it self, before even starting moving through the workflow. Consider what you want to get out of this.. are you interested in CG as a hobby, do you want to start a career? Depending on your goals , and budget, different tools would fit the bill.

Bardalgol
04-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the input Doc, I think I'll go with Zbrush since it seems to be more of an "overall" charachter sculpting package including textures and colors. When you export finished Zbrush figures for rigging in Lightwave or posing in Vue will they retain all their colors and textures or will these have to be reworked?

to bring it back to the topic of blender...

Can finished Zbrush figures be opened & rigged in Blender?

Yeah I'm a total CG Newbie, I've been a figure sculptor for several years now and drawing since childhood but the stuff I see here is real great and I'd sure like to be able to see one of my (virtual) sculpts walk around and maybe eat a politician - lol! To begin with I will get Painter X or Photoshop CS3 and Zbrush to do basic 2D art and later add Vue and Lightwave for movement and hopefully video(s) that I can synch to my darkwave projects music on a future CD. So my goals are somewhat lofty in that I wanna make everything look good and pro and if I happened to get some freelance work from posting my stuff on my website that'd surely be OK too.

FreakyDude
04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I would learn to work with software before I start buying expensive tools that you don't even know how to operate it. Download their trials and/or search and install open source counterparts. (photoshop->gimp, illustrator-> inkscape for example) If you're a good traditional artist then It's probably easy to get into CG, at least you see that a lot, but you'd have to relearn a lot of stuff, and it's easy to get enthusiastic and stuff, but you'll actually have to make it happen also, by yourself, the software doesn't do it for you.

If you've never done anything like this before, I wouldn't buy all these packages unless you know for a full 100% you're actually going to make the most out of every single one of them.
Marketing makes everything seem sooo easy to do, if so, then why are there so few "one man" studios? If one man can build everything with a good computer and a dozen applications, why isn't there a lot to show for?
I'd do more research before jumping "all out" into this. Like what software works with what other software and HOW. Find working examples first, someone saying yes it can doesn't do you a lot of good if you can't apply it.

on a different note, tablets will work with blender.

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.