PDA

View Full Version : NHM Challenge Bill Melvin

Quadart
04-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I decided to give this challenge a go. I hope I can make the deadline since I haven't figured out the direction I want go in with this theme. Anyway, here's my clean-plate with extension. Good luck everyone. I can't wait to see where folks are going to take this one.
http://billmelvinart.com/pictures/box/nhm_challenge_BillMelvin.jpg

Edit:
I just had to clean up the clean plate and shut the lights off. The extension is still a bit wobbly, but Im not going back in again.

http://billmelvinart.com/pictures/box/nhm_challenge_BillMelvin_Cp.jpg

Eligh
04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
good work so far! fresh and clean extended plate. Im really interessted how your interpretation of this theme will looks like. HF + GL! (2all) :)

JoelOtron
04-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Hey Bill--looks great

Any 3d reconstruction there or is it all old school painting?

Quadart
04-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I think I'm going to model parts of the structure in C4D and add a swampy theme, a kind of greenhouse apocalypse scene. Never the less, the retouching was an interesting challenge but most of what I worked on will be eliminated or hidden by plant growth.

Looking forward to seeing your approach as well Eligh. Good luck.

Quadart
04-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey Bill--looks great

Any 3d reconstruction there or is it all old school painting?
Hey Joel, good to see you here.

No 3d (yet), all old school. Well not that old school, since I used to do a lot of retouching with an airbrush. If I can muster the time, I will use a combo of C4D and Vue along with PS to do the image.

Quadart
04-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I decided to flip the plate. I feel the composition is stronger and more balanced in this view.
I hope I'm not in violation by doing this.

I also decided to model a fairly reasonable facsimile of the side wall, roof arches and eventually the staircase to feed from for the illustration, once textured. As a result of modeling this, I can really see the wonkiness in the wall section forshorting that I carelessly overlooked in the retouching phase. Good thing this is going to be a ruin of a building in the end.

http://billmelvinart.com/pictures/box/nhmModel1.jpg

ervine
04-20-2007, 05:29 PM
nice model! looking good!

Inlakechh
04-20-2007, 08:04 PM
thats looking great.

Eligh
04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
well done here, looking nicely

Quadart
04-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Here is my latest WIP. I modeled the side walls and arches in Cinema 4D and used Vue 6 Infinite to work out lighting and mood solutions, and just about everything else. I have a lot of work to do to tie things together. I didnt do too much to the photo elements in this WIP version. I have to change some shadow angles add ivy and ground plants as well as figure out what I want to do for an object of interest in the grassy area.

http://billmelvinart.com/pictures/box/nhm_BMelvinWIP2.jpg

JoelOtron
04-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Fantastic work Bill!

I was gonna say the same thing about the ivy--looking a bit odd--and a bit repetitive.
Could be the lighting angle as you say.

But its really looking great!

Inlakechh
04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
thats looking great so far Bill !

Ivy00
04-29-2007, 05:32 PM
wow nice work, it reminds me a bit of Venice and Ivy anywhere is always a good thing :)

JoelOtron
04-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey Bill

In the C4d forums there was an ivy generation app someone had posted.
Also--Im wondering about reducing the overall color saturation--which is your style and is cool--but pulling back on the color reigns bit with a touch of DOF might push it more towards a photographic result--if thats even what your after?

The rich blue water and grass in particular look a bit too rich-I would think a stagnant swamp would be murkier and not soo blue? Hey--what do you think?

Quadart
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey Bill
In the C4d forums there was an ivy generation app someone had posted.
Also--Im wondering about reducing the overall color saturation--which is your style and is cool--but pulling back on the color reigns bit with a touch of DOF might push it more towards a photographic result--if thats even what your after?

The rich blue water and grass in particular look a bit too rich-I would think a stagnant swamp would be murkier and not soo blue? Hey--what do you think?

Hey Joel!
Thanks for the C4D ivy tip and your constructive comments.
This is my first attempt at a matte image (very little 'painting' so far). As an illustrator, I think I've gone astray from the fact that this is a matte challenge and mattes are used in cinematic environments and should fool the viewer that the matte is an integral part of the scene and not an obvious piece of art. So I have to think photorealism, not fantasy art. I agree with you that the saturation is too high and the color should be reeled in. I have to think cinema even though I'm going to use this image as an illustration sample with a foreground subject in the end. I tend to like saturated color, as long as they're not 'candy sick'.

@ Ivy00 Ivy is good Thanks for the compliments. I wa thinking Venice too. : )

Thanks all for your feedback so far.

JJASSO
05-01-2007, 12:28 AM
nice work so far, eventhough I think the ruins itself are too clean, break some of the structure ad moisture, growing plants on the main stairs,
just break the 3D perfection and this will end really nice

Quadart
05-10-2007, 05:54 PM
jamesvfx, thanks for the comments.
Here is another WIP. I still have a bit of work to do to bring all the loose ends together.
As you suggest jamesvfx, I still have to add some wall moisture around the waterline and add more plant life. The color needs adjusting, along with black levels here and there, etc.

http://billmelvinart.com/pictures/box/nhm_BMelvinWIP4.jpg

MarkyG
05-12-2007, 05:46 AM
looks great! maybe you could try some subtle light rays slicing through the ruined roof?

The light on the two patches of plants on the water is really nice.
markg

Quadart
05-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Here's a new update with a monochrome spooky version. I'm pretty much done with this one. I'll sit on for a week and see if I come up with something to add or change.

MarkyG, I added the light rays as you see.
Thanks for the comments.

http://billmelvinart.com/pictures/box/nhm_BillM1a.jpg

Ivy00
05-13-2007, 10:06 AM
This is really nice, great updates :)

Quadart
05-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks Ivy00.

I'll be posting a finish soon, and won't be doing a stage 4 on this one.

Quadart
05-30-2007, 04:30 AM
Heres my final. Not much has changed from the last update, just a few adjustments here and there. Im done at stage 3, maybe next challenge for a camera move. I had to at least take the head off the statue. Vandals always take the head.

http://billmelvinart.com/pictures/box/nhm_challenge_BillMelvin_F1.jpg

Keating
05-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Very nice. I especially like the foliage around the columns, was that a 3d effect or just photo-manipulation? Either way, great work! Love the orange light.

Quadart
05-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the comments Keating.
The foliage you see on the front right side is a photo element and the ivy at the wall tops and rear face are painted from smaller samples of the ref with the stamp tool. I shot about 50 pics of ivy covered columns at a botanical garden a few weeks ago. The ivy mid-way into the image on the right and mid-way up the wall was created in Vue as part of the wall model texture. The image seems a bit too light on web on my mac. But I think if I darken it, it will look too dark on a PC.

Ivy00
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
This came out great :) I love the Venice look of it, but I said that earlier in the thread ha ha

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.