PDA

View Full Version : My Visual Effects Reel - James McPhail

JamesMcPhail
04-18-2007, 04:17 AM
http://www.jamesmcphail.net/Images/cgtalkReelPreview.jpg

Hello everyone,

I have finally finished my visual effects reel after a really great year at VFS. I really had a blast working on it and learned alot.

Thanks to everyone in 3D62 for making the year as fun as it was. I will never look at guitar hero the same way again ;)

Any comments you have are very much appreciated

Cheers,

James

Reel download - 46Mb H.264 (http://jamesmcphail.net/demoreel/JamesMcPhailDemoReel.mp4)

TrevorTang
04-18-2007, 04:30 AM
awesome and congrats man, nice to see all that hard work and long nights payoff.

You know you want to play more guitar hero ;)

mistasam02
04-18-2007, 04:40 AM
You crazy Canadians... :D

Really insane work man! Everything was exceptional! Keep it up, and best of luck with the job hunt! :thumbsup:

AdamBolton
04-18-2007, 06:23 AM
the final cut has a great feel to it. i know its hard to let your baby go. but you'll blowing new stuff up in no time. knew you'd be the first to work as well. good luck and stay in touch.

rebolt
04-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Really good reel James. :thumbsup:

JamesMcPhail
04-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks alot for your comments guys.

@TrevorTang

Cheers man - I do want to play more guitar hero. I think I am now an addict

@mistasam02

Thankyou. Though technically i'm not Canadian. I'm a displaced Kiwi living in Canada ;)

@AdamBolton

Thanks man. It is hard calling something done and letting go. I am looking forward to blowing something new up :)

@rebolt

thanks i'm glad you liked it.

If anyone has any more comments/crits/questions please fire away.

James

CgIdentity
04-18-2007, 07:31 PM
That was phenomenal! I especially loved the breakdowns and the little clip during the credits.

Trident19
04-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Love your peice, James. Effects are awsome and they are beautifully integrated. Anxious to see your future work.

Good luck.
Samer

buscard
04-18-2007, 11:08 PM
James,

You've probably heard it enough this year, but heres one last go from me.
Awesome integrations and collaborations! You WILL go far in this industry. I can feels it!!

Solid work as usual man! we can never have enough space debris obliterating our comfortable cubic dwelling structures, can we?

JamesMcPhail
04-20-2007, 12:04 AM
@ Pixology2 - Cheers, The spider bit at the end is one of the assignments you do in the VFX course at VFS. Its a lot of fun and everyone interprets it differently. To me it had to be lightning to the brain :)

@ Trident19 - Thanks Samer you really need to get your reel online soon :)

@ Buscard - Cheers Cliff. We certainly can never have enough debris smashing buildings ;) Lets see your reel online too :P

James

jigsawe
04-20-2007, 06:10 AM
congrats james! excited to work next to u in scholarship!

remow
04-23-2007, 03:27 AM
dude!l you are the man! thanks again for all the help with my stuff. your reel looks tight. congrads on the job!

cheers,
remo
www.remow.info

Tenkiboi
04-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Hey james, nice to see your stuff on CGtalk man.. After all that work, you must be enjoying this break haha.. just keep working like a biotch, become stubbornly persistant, and see everything in a optimistic ignorant way, and youll enter the world of success. Good luck man wish you the best!

-Tom

BelieverDeceiver
04-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Nice job James.. Looks awesome man! Gratz on the job as well. Lookin forward to workin with you in scholarship!! Thx for saving my ass on multiple occasions this year your a good friend.

andyburm
04-30-2007, 03:10 AM
good job james,
reminds me of the "armageddon" opening sequence :)

JamesMcPhail
04-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the comments,

@Jigsawe - Thanks man. I'm also looking forward to being next to you next term.

@RemoW - Cheers Remo, I enjoyed sitting next to you in term 6. The job is working out great. Keep in touch.

@Tenkiboi - Cheers Tom, I'm not sure if you are trying to describe my workflow there or not :p

@nosaj462 - Thanks man, no problem on the ass saving always happy to help. I'm looking forward to scholarship.

@Andyburm - Thanks a lot mate. The armegeddon opening was certainly my inspiration. That was the only bit of that movie I liked :)

Again thanks to everyone for there comments. Any more comments / crits / questions much appreciated.

wizocrat
05-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Congrats dude...for the scholarship & the job.

I know how much hardwork u put on this piece......I guess u will finish the other shorts during the scholarship.

How is ur job goin on ??

wish u all success.

keep up the gr8 work.

cheers

Sar

}-{obbes
05-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I really liked the meteor, the impact, the explosion, the smoke, and the initial small small debris bits. But the larger pieces and the pieces that come near you seemed very out of place and I could immediatly tag them as pieces of cg with either lighting or compositing issues.

JamesMcPhail
05-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I really liked the meteor, the impact, the explosion, the smoke, and the initial small small debris bits. But the larger pieces and the pieces that come near you seemed very out of place and I could immediatly tag them as pieces of cg with either lighting or compositing issues.

Thanks for your comment. The lighting and comping of the larger CG peices is definatley something I want to revisit if I get around to doing some tweaks. The geo for those peices is really a bit lacking. I think I might need to use displacement maps to break up their shapes a bit more.

KimLeow
05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
wow....crazy mannnn that awesome

holy.............

Silverwing
05-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Really great work there! Thumbs up... great compositing and
good overall fx...
One little thing I noticed... At the end titles you wrote
"Adove Photoshop" instead of Adobe Photoshop...

Keep it up... I really liked it!

JamesMcPhail
05-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Really great work there! Thumbs up... great compositing and
good overall fx...
One little thing I noticed... At the end titles you wrote
"Adove Photoshop" instead of Adobe Photoshop...

Keep it up... I really liked it!

Oh heck, I thought I had fixed that in the web version as well. I guess I hadn't :blush:

Thanks for letting me know :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2007, 01:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.