PDA

View Full Version : NHM Challenge Linda Smith

Ivy00
04-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Thought I would give this a try, I have never done a matte painting with the exception of a sketch in DSF a few months ago. Here is my step one cleared.

Ivy00
04-18-2007, 01:20 AM
went through made a few touch ups (especially to the floor) and a few other things. Think I got it all set to go now and maybe ready for next step.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/Ivy10101/matte2bfinalclear.jpg

Matellis
04-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Hey Linda , looking good :D this will be a great chance to learn a lot about matte painting so enjoy the ride! Cant wait to see some concepts.

Cheers

Ivy00
04-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Matellis - Thanks , ha ha I just had to go visit Levi's thread, dang he roxors. The first step only took me a LONG time. Hope I can come up with something different and at least halfway decent :)

Cameo
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Good job on the cleanup Linda. Any ideas for your concept yet?

Ivy00
04-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks Cameo, I have a few ideas floating around in my head. I am going to have to play a litte to see if i can pull any of them off before I post them.

Ivy00
04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Here is my extension

Matellis
04-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Hey Linda , nice job on the extension :D keep it up! :D

Cheers

Grrrrrrr
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
It s a bit too obvious were you straightend the pillars.

Inlakechh
04-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Linda you can try to make selections with the lasso tool, duplicate them to a new layer and transform them perspectively. This way you wont have these stamping issues. :)

Ivy00
04-18-2007, 05:02 PM
grrrr - which pillars the ones on the screen right?

Inlakechh- ermm that is what I did, lol

JJASSO
04-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi linda, nice work on the extension I just see a problem there, in the first left arch I see the proportion is wrong compared to the othres and to the perspective, check it out

Ivy00
04-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jaime, I decided since that arch or part of the building isn't going to be in the finished painting I am just going to extend with paint instead of photographic elements from the orignal plate.

Ivy00
04-19-2007, 12:36 AM
I am not quite sure what the rules are for using photographic elements in the concept stage. Maybe someone can tell me. I did use some combined with paint. They are from my own photos, I live in a heavily wooded area and have hundreds of photos of woods , streams, marshes.

Anyway here is my concept, yes I still need to put some lights out and paint in tons of vegetation and other things :)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/mcconcept.jpg

everlite
04-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Very nice lighting in the background sky, if you could match to that would look very nice. I'm not too sure about the tree that cuts across the forground though. Also think about your final crop, eventually you might want to bring it down to a widescreen format.

- Dave :)

Ivy00
04-19-2007, 01:19 AM
ahhh I didn't know we had to crop it , ha ha ok hrmmmm something to think about then :)

everlite
04-19-2007, 02:04 AM
You don't have to crop down if you don't wish, it's just a prefered format for matte paintings, that's all; it tends to look a little nicer and more cinematic. Take a look through www.mattepainting.org (http://www.mattepainting.org) and see the general formats.

Feel free to use whatever format you choose :)

- Dave.

Layer01
04-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Nice work Linda, i'm digging the concept :)

Ivy00
04-19-2007, 10:01 AM
wow Dave nice stuff on that site, thanks for the link. Now I have much thinking to do before I proceed further :)

Thank you Layer 01 :) I am learning as I go here

aiRaGe
04-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Looks good so far, i really like the depth and mood of the sky.

Ivy00
04-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks airrage, I can't wait to see what you come up with yourself. You have a nice knack for lighting in your sketches I have seen.

Ok here is my final concept, I think I will start painting unless anyone sees anything majorly wrong. I removed the tree, it took too much focus off of the building. Figured out how I want to crop it to give it that widescreen feel. I still need to put the two little lights out and clean up a few other things, but will do that when I start painting.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/Ivy10101/matteFinalConcept.jpg

everlite
04-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Looking good, nice sky; the building needs colour correcting to the light, but i'm guessing this is still work in progress. Remember one of the key goals for a matte painting in photo realism, i love the sky but at the same time it's starting to lean more toward a painty sky :) a little too wispy.

Just a few minor thoughts really, over all it's progressing well.

Ivy00
04-19-2007, 06:55 PM
:) I'll do what I can, the above is just a concept post not any serious painting on it yet (not that I can paint seriously though ha ha) :P

Greatto
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Hello Linda! Great update!
Really great! i love the green color that u added to the walls. also this upadate is much accurate, and much interesting, I hope u'll cut this white part on the windows :P

JJASSO
04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I also think it has too much of an square aspect, try to get 16:9 HD like aspect more for film t, I agree with david about the look so far, the concept looks good, but hey guys must of the people are working almost the same scene.be creative there are a lot of different possibilities
keep it up

Ivy00
04-19-2007, 08:10 PM
ha ha thanks Greatto :) yes I am going to clean it up a bit more, well actually quite a bit more clean up is needed on building parts

jamesvfx - I can crop more from the bottom if needed, I don't suppose I can expand it horizontally anymore? or can I? I am a potter/sculptress so thinking of film things is a bit beyond me. As far as being creative, well my first thought was a swamplike scene, but that was done. I did want to add a water feature on the floor/foreground area, but that has been done also more than once in the few threads I have checked (dial up connection, so threads load very slow for me). I then thought of a frozen wasteland scene, but that is being done also. I have a few ideas to try to make it more original, I am just not sure if i can pull them off ( inexperience hinders me a bit). Thanks for the feedback and advice on the ratio, I will try to widescreen it some more :)

everlite
04-20-2007, 04:10 AM
Hi Linda,

Apologies for not getting back sooner :) Please, please don't worry about what other people have done, granted there's quite a few jungle themed scenes out there but everyone will eventually look very different. Go with thatever you feel works. A few suggestions:

Lava/fire

jungle/tropical

underwater/submerged

ice/snow

sand/harsh desert

cave/subsurface

Night

There's lots of themes to go with and each has countless possibilities, It could even be on a floating rock in space (assuming the worlds been blown up :)

Hope that helps to inspire a little.

regarding the size, yes please feel free to extend as you wish. You may need to crop from the top and bottom a little also, though completely up to you.

Ivy00
04-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks :) I was thinking lava fire or night even, but I like your underwater suggestion also :) I do love the color of things underwater. ok ha ha good things to think about again, maybe I will pop up a few more concepts. It is also good to know I can extend a bit more if I wish to. Thanks again

everlite
04-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeh be nice and unique. Take a look at the Atlantis entries for a little inspiration over colours etc ..

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=196&t=394927

(mine the only one with the big red X, my server died the other day due to everyone downloading the nhm files :-)

Good look - Dave :)

Ivy00
04-21-2007, 12:55 AM
everlite - I think I will scope those out , Thanks :)

okies got a lava concept here I am going to do an ice and underwater concept also before I make up my mind , I think (if I get the time)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/matteconcept2fw.jpg

Greatto
04-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Hello!
Lava is good. but prev concepts i like more. I feel Hellish in this ;)

Good Luck

Ivy00
04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
heh Greatto I think we all need to feel a little hellish once in a while :) I am re-working my first concept a little. Widened my canvas more and doing maybe a different sky and groundwork. Will post if I get it to look decent.

Cameo
04-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I like the colours Linda, reminds me of Diablo II or something like that. I always knew this country was going down the drain! :D

AnimZiggy
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
prefer first one too! :thumbsup:

Ivy00
04-25-2007, 11:23 PM
hey everlite those Atlantis entries were fabulous, if you get yours up anywhere I want to take a peek at it :)

AnimZiggy- ha ha I like that one too, but too many are doing something similar :)

ok here is another concept, frozen one Not many colors or values in it yet. I want to add some deeper blues and of course lots of light reflections etc. I think I might go with this one, seems my heart tells me I will enjoy working on this one more than my previous concepts.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/MatteIce.jpg

Ivy00
04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
little update on my ice concept, have a few perspective issues to fix :)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/Ivy10101/matteUWconceptC.jpg

Greatto
04-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Linda! your updates are so great! I like last one! its realy great!, top one not bad too, but something is missing) and the last one is perfect

ReinaldoRomero
04-27-2007, 05:15 AM
Hi Linda, you improve a lot the concept you sent me on messenger :eek:

The last one have lots of potential, if i were you i should expand the canvas area (1/8 to the top and 1/4 to the left) for 3 reasons:
a) with this aspect the bg on the left side get to much atention and the main area is to big in relation to the entire composition so there is no a defined focal point in your current structure, in fact, the left window take to much atention to the left. Also with more background on the left you can add some more atmosphere elements and play a bit with the enviroment/lighting. Also expand to the top a bit may let breath a litle more the main subject.
b) Expand the canvas and set some enviromental elements that reinforce the sence scale of your structure may be great, in your concept the atmosphere, colors and mod are very cool but the composition have some flaws. If you improve that you will get more epic feeling.
c) 16:9 aspect is the most comon aspect in matte painting.

I hope i am not been harsh with you linda I just want to help you the most I can :S. If I catch you online Ill give u some more coments, but seting aside my nipticking bllshit your matte is very good so far and it s your first matte, even in the early stage it have a good look n feel, so keep it up!

Good luck friend, keep on roking!:buttrock:

ferraosnehal
04-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Hey linda, well ur friend Reinaldo has given u some good suggestions....i agree with some of the things like showing scale n playing with lighting...that always helps.

Ivy00
04-27-2007, 10:33 AM
hey Rei Thanks a bunch , very good points. I was afraid also there was too much going on in the screen left , I will expand it a little per your suggestion and on top too. I do have composition problems with everything I do ha ha. No you are not harsh and I value your help and suggestions :)

ferraosnehal - I agree with the showing scale, I have been having problems getting the depth I want with this. I am hoping the environmental suggestions Rei gave me will help, guess I see what I can do ha ha or if I can do. Thanks :)

Ivy00
04-27-2007, 11:17 PM
A composition check here I could really use some crits at this stage before I proceed further. I tried to go with Rei's suggestions and expand a little on top and a bit more on the left. It has kind of the frozen tundra look now as opposed to a cave type look. I have not done anything with lighting/shadow only composition at this point.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/matteFROZEN.jpg

everlite
04-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Composition wise it feels a little too far to the right and maybe needs pulling up slightly. I think the skeleton draws quite a bit of interest and needs to be more focused in the center maybe.

- Dave

henningsen
04-27-2007, 11:36 PM
I have liked your choice of colours in what I've seen from you so far, and this is no exception :-)

When it comes to composition, there are two things that are bugging me a little. One thing is that the structure is pushed to the right of the canvas, which is good, but the right wall (the one coming towards us) looks a bit too cropped and kind of ruins the "right frame" if you get my point. I think either you see some more of that wall, or nothing at all. Still, having something to frame the piece with would be nice instead of just letting the wall we're looking at dissappear into nothing.

The other thing is the t-rex skeleton which I think get's a bit too cropped as well, it's like he is peeking in from the bottom of the screen, hehe. I would move mr. skeleton further into the piece so that we see more of him if this is possible. :-)

Besides this, you're coming along nicely!

MarkyG
04-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Looking really nice. As far as composition the broken off piece laying on the ground (which I think is a great addition) on the left feels a little awkward in its current placement- maybe move it to the right to balance it all out somewhat and seperate it from the main structure's layer.

Ivy00
04-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Dave - Thanks, I moved a few things around, not sure if it helped or not. Added some rex ribbies, but again not sure if they made it too cluttered or guess I will have to see once I get some snow and ice on them. I do need to fix the top still, should have just cropped it again I guess :)

henning- Thanks so very much. I took your advice and first tried to expand the building on the right ( me and my perspective issues along with my many other issues ) anyway it didn't work. Sooooo I moved it over a bit and totally cut off what was there... and I hope it does not dissapear into nothing too much. I will try a few more times to expand that wall I think I am going to have to print it out though and get my perspective in line . I can't do that on the pc I have to have my ruler and pencils and paper. I also moved the dino back some and hoping that is improved a bit now. Cropped it a little on the left ( black square) that might have helped a bit also.

MarkyG - thanks for the visit , that piece of building has been a thorn in my side so to say. I like it, but keep moving it around I will use determination and some swearing to get it where it looks ok ( I hope , ha ha). It is on a different layer so moving it is no problem, I have not defined it at all yet though.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/matteFROZEN2.jpg

SoniaNotRed
04-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Good idea using ol' rexie in the composition - it's gonna look great with frost and icicles. :thumbsup:
About the wall, I think I would try moving it behind the building and maybe rotating it to the left so the tip would touch the ground... Don't know if it works, it's just the first thing that comes to my mind.

Ivy00
04-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks Sonia, I decided to trash that part of the wall and add a bigger piece trying to balance the composition a bit more, added more of the beam things to the top also so it does not look so cut off.

here is the update..... hopefully I will get past this phase and get on to the fun stuff soon ha ha

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/matteFROZEN2C.jpg

Inlakechh
04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Very nice concept Linda. Great Idea to keep the t-rex in there.

Ivy00
04-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Thank you Marco , this is quite fun :)

ok, lol I can't figure out what I want to do :P

I put the right part of the wall in again, a little bit more of it than was there before. (there are a few perpsective issues with it atm). I just want to see how it looks compared to the other without the wall. I think I might go with this. I turned the dino head the other way, it looked a little to "staged" turned the other way. Opnions welcome and needed :)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/matteFROZEN3C.jpg

Ivy00
05-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Just a little update, decided to go with more right and a little more on the bottom.

edit: lol I just realized I got my light map layer on this post, my lighting is not going to be that bright or hazy, I made a layer to figure out where it will hit so I will know where to put reflections etc later, if I get that far

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/Ivy10101/matteFROZEN4a.jpg

Ivy00
05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
ahh decisions... decisions... I can't get happy with the composition in the frozen concept I can't seem to get the building to blend naturally with the environment. I have gone back to my original concept...

bonniedickson
05-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi! I really like the new updated concept, the composition looks great. I'd like to see more of the dino skeleton other than just the skull. The ice concept was great too! Don't give up on it, it might be nice to play with some more after the contest. Overall good work! :)

milanschere
05-10-2007, 05:24 PM
as for composition the one with the warm colors might work easier.
however, i think colour theory wise the ice concept works nicer because it calms the eye a bit and feels smooth to me. hope you will be happy with a concept soon and are able to get started on the final image. good luck.

D4ng3rmouse
05-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey I've been looking at this thread for a little while now and just wanted to say i really like how the ice one was going. The colours work really well and it looks like if it was developed a bit more it would look really good. The only thing i would say is that i think having the dinosaurs tail where it is, is kinda spoiling the picture. Everything in your image flows from left to right and having that tail in the foreground pointing to the right just seems to stop the flow. Your eye gets caught on it and u end up looking at the left bit of the picture and not following it to the right and looking at the main part of the building which is the real focus point. I think that if you changed that then maybe the building might fit into the environement a bit better, or it might give u some more space to show the progression of the environment into the building. Anyway just a thought so feel free to ignore it :), apart fomr that i think its looking really good, keep up the great work

Ivy00
05-11-2007, 02:28 AM
ahhh ha ha ha ok ok I did a little bit to the frozen one and a lot to the other. I really need all the decision help I can get so I know which one to finish. Thanks for all crits and feedback, it is more important to me than I can express.

Dangermouse I LOVED that cartoon - I had a good friend point out my composition flaws with everything moving in the same direction, and had actually did a few things to correct it, but never posted the update (I got a tad frustrated with it) See below :) I got side by side comparisons and need to make a decision soon and opinions are priceless to me. Thanks so much for your feed back and please please keep it coming

proconpictures - Thanks a bunch for the feedback, it helps me loads. I hope you can get your eyes healed ok and get back into this challenge.

bonniedickson - Thank you , I did have his ribs in the far left front corner, but hidden a bit in shadow. I took your suggestion and put the tail in and also tried to make the rib cage show a bit more.

1. Woodsy , water overgrown concept

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/concept6fc.jpg

2. Frozen Concept

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/matteFROZEN4fc.jpg

ReinaldoRomero
05-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Hehe Ivy, see that you are working kind of hard on this, by now i can see how much you improved your skills in this kind of art.

If i were you ill go for thew woodsy one (1), booth are nice but that one have a better look&feel imho.

I stay tunned watching your development and helping you the most I can, sorry I havnt post a lot, just do not wanna spam your thread telling you things that already told you. Keep growing, I am shure you can finish your matte painting better than you spected in the first time, the most valuable advice I think I can tell for you, is that you should have more confidence, not only making decisions but also with the way you develop your image in many aspect or you will end goin back an forward in the development lowering the probability of get a solid final image. I know this is kind of subjective advice but is the biggest problem I felt in your process, if you understand I hope this help, if I am wrong, never mind hehe.

Keep pushing your skills Linda without holding yourself, the most you paint the better you will be but if you take more time thinking "is this right" you will wasting valuable time imho.

I do not like to post comments like this in the forums coz I think sometimes I sound a bit harsh but this time I think at least a bit of artist can take advantage of this coz it is one of the most comon problems with artists in learning process, even seniors suffer this time to time, and by my humble experience is like put yourself in a dark room upside down.

Hope this help you Linda, btw, you are doing great but you can do it far better. :thumbsup:

calisto-lynn
05-11-2007, 02:55 AM
i absolutley adore both of them, but the frozen one looks much sharper and clearer.

the orange one is absolutley beautifull, and if you personally like that one better, here is one advice. try adding a bit of blue in the shadows, it will make a wonderfull contrast with the overall orange tone that prevails.

Layer01
05-11-2007, 03:44 AM
I love the woodsy one. the broken ruins on the left look great. All the ivy and the soft light make it very calm looking.
though the T rex head looks a bit "stuck in" to me perhaps if it was just visible in the bog/swamp?

henningsen
05-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Good updates! :-)
I like both concepts, but if I had to pick one, I would go for the woody one.

If I was to continue to adjust anything, I would make the transition between the skeleton and the icy ground on the ice-version sharper. It looks a tiny bit blurry and hard to define at the moment. I would also add some shades and icy details to the black branch to the left in the image.

The other version in the woods looks pretty much golden to me :-) Perhaps make the detailed decorations on the parts to the left a bit sharper with some more details? Might not be a good idea, but experimenting might be worth a try.

Thaldir
05-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I like both, but having to choose I would say the 'woodsy' one, love the athmosphere and the warm tones.

You really are progressing by leaps and bounds, Linda!

JJASSO
05-11-2007, 10:44 PM
I would go for the Woodsy one, definitly the best in mood, lighting, detail, the frozen version is good but it is looking too sketchy to me , give a try to the Woodsy , I already see that one as a really nice concept

Ivy00
05-12-2007, 02:13 AM
wow thanks for the great response :) This will help loads

Rei - Thank you my friend, you have been a great help and I agree I lack confidence in my digital painting. I don't know if it is because it is so new to me or if it is because there is so much talent in these forums it is intimidating. Probably a bit of both :) I'll get over it in 5 or 6 years ha ha

Calisto - Thank you a lot for the advice on the blue for shadows, I will give that a try and play around with it.

Layer01- thanks a bunch for the post and helping me choose. I will try to fit in the head of old rexy, with some more vines and vegetation. See if I can get it to work :)

henning - thanks, your advice is like "gold" to me and I appreciate tons and tons :D I started painting in details on the left area as per your suggestion

Tiziano - Thank you very much for the post, ha ha hey hopefully I will keep leaping and bounding , then I can start painting kangaroos ... or frogs

jamesvfx - I agree 100% about the frozen one, it was really fun when I first tried the concept. I started trying to fit the building into the environment and created smudgy mess, I realized after 7 months of winter here I really didn't want to paint snow .Thank you for the comments.

OKMER
05-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Yep, well I did a posr reply 2 days ago, but everytime i sended it it was like"Cgtalk is currently undergoing...."
Well anyway, I totally agree with Thaldir and wowowowowwwww Linda indeed you progress so fast!Amazing Miss Fishy!
ME too I kind a prefer the woody one, so nice,smooth and dreamy colors!!!
Although the icy one,actually is great too,the woody one is my favorite,huhu.
Hope hte input is helpfull and can't wait to see the finish.
big up and may all the forzz and :love:be wizz you!!

Ivy00
05-13-2007, 11:10 AM
yabadabadooo OKMER :) Thanks for dropping in and for your help , see if I can finish this thing now

just a ilttle update, adding a few details to the left side and tweaking some of the vegetation.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/concept6wip3.jpg

Quadart
05-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Looking good Ivy00. I like this version.
My only comment so far would be to add a little foliage to the tree in the right foreground.
This will ease some of the tension created by the back wall of the structure sitting so close to the right edge of the image frame.

Ivy00
05-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey thanks quadart I will give that a try :)

D4ng3rmouse
05-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey, I think that what you changed in the ice one work quite well by moving the dino tail. I think though that this newer warmer foresty jungle one is really really nice. Its got really nice atmosphere to it. You can kind of imagine the vines and vegetation all growing up around the building over time. Don't really have many suggestions or crits this time cause it looks so nice :). One thing is it might be nice to show where some roots or planets have grown up from beneath a part of the building and forced its way through the concrete if you know what i mean. Would kinda show the force the vegetation is having on the building rather tahn the building looking like its just crumbled. The other thing is your overall lighting is very similar in all the image. With that nice sky you've got going on it might be nice to pick out some sections with some brighter light patches, like breaks in cloud, or where the light is passing through an area of less dense vegetation. It might help to create a nice focal point. Anyway again feel free to take what u think it usuefull if any of it is :). Either way again i think its looking really good, looking forward to seeing what the finished thing will turn out like

Ivy00
05-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Thank you James for the very nice comments and the great advice. I am not sure if i will be doing roots since most of the foreground is underwater I do have some vine stems here and there but they are hard to see in such a small version of the image. I have not done much with the lighting yet and I have thought of many of the suggestions you mentioned for it, but ha ha not sure if I can pull it off. I will try though :)

Ivy00
05-20-2007, 01:07 AM
big update here, trashed the sky could not get the depth I needed. Added more details here and there.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/Ivy10101/concept6G1fw.jpg

RQuack
05-20-2007, 04:32 AM
Looking great Ivy! Those trees are a great touch. One thing though is the section of spine in the lower left is kind of unusual. If I didn't see that other part of the skelton there and didn't know what the plate was, not sure what I would see it as. Other than that, great colors and keep it up! :thumbsup:

Ivy00
05-23-2007, 01:53 AM
RQuack ha ha actually that is part of a rib cage :) thanks for the compliments

little update here, not much changed

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/Ivy10101/concept6G1a.jpg

SoniaNotRed
05-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Wow! The forest turned out even cooler! :D
Great work on the atmosphere! :thumbsup:

pkneeshaw
05-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Looks Great but I think those trees in the background are a bit big

milanschere
05-23-2007, 03:23 PM
the trees in the background are good.

Inlakechh
05-23-2007, 06:57 PM
you got a little too much color variation going on. keep on going its getting better and better.

Ivy00
05-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Sonia for the nice comments :)

pkneeshaw - Yes I thought about that, but you have to take into consideration this is many years in the future and some trees grow huge, so I decided to leave the big trees to represent old forest rather than the smaller skinny trees that take about 50 yrs to grow.

Thanks Proconpictures I agree after much thought on it that I want to leave them as is.

Inlakechh - Thanks , ha ha I will try to keep going, sort of at a loss atm as to what else it needs though, with the exception of some specular type light here and there.

MarkyG
05-23-2007, 07:07 PM
wow, really great! You know it may be cool to add some slightly fogged ruined shapes on the left between the large tree trunk and the more forground ruined pieces. Sort of blend the two together some.

Great stuff!

Ivy00
05-23-2007, 07:10 PM
oh great suggestion MarkyG, I actually have some other parts of the building I made into ruins just in case I wanted to use them anywhere. Thanks for the awesome compliments :)

matty2x4
05-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Hey thats looking great! I have to agree with the comment about the spine (lower left) its a bit confusing, also have you tried to remove those bronze plarks on the far wall? (and maybee that pinkish box between them) I find my eyes being drawn to them which detracts from the rest of the image, other than that its looking good!
Matty2x4

Ivy00
05-27-2007, 10:52 PM
as per markyg's suggestion I added a little ruins inbetween the tree and the left side ruins. ha ha Matty that was on my todo list and had already taken care of it. I didn't remove the plaques just aged them a bit with moss. The dino rib cage is staying though :)

I want to call this done, so if anyone has any crits and it is within my ability to make the changes I would really appreciate. Thanks

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/NHMmattechallengeFINALfw.jpg

SoniaNotRed
05-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Well... What can I say? :drool:
Another one like this and I'm quiting...

I just love what you did with the light! It blows me away every time how people actually manage to paint it. :)

Are you going to make the animation?

Cole
05-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Not a big fan of the waste barrels but otherwise really nice. For one thing everything else is old and overgrown but the barrels seem very pristine and clean... I would think something floating in water for so long would have rusted some :)

Ivy00
05-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I just love what you did with the light! It blows me away every time how people actually manage to paint it. :)

Are you going to make the animation?

Thanks Sonia that is one of the nicest compliments I have ever had. I only started digital painting in November so no animation for me, I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to go about it.

Cole- valid point for sure on the barrels, that has been bugging me also. They look like they have just been dumped there... maybe they have. I will try to find some time to age them more.

Ivy00
05-29-2007, 04:56 PM
ok we now have barrel aged biohazard waste :) Hopefully they look a little better now and not so spanking new.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1230395/NHMchallengeMATTEFINALb.jpg

Keating
05-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Well done! I love the color of the water, it really looks like the type of still and shallow ponds you find in big forests. Excellent decision. I think maybe the background trees seem a little out of perspective with the building but that could be a matter of collapse.

Congrats and getting finished!

Ivy00
05-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks Keating, the base for the water before I painted over it is from a photo I took in the woods of a pond at the base of a little waterfall. The colors in the photo are quite amazing all red reflections from fall colors. The trees are big I know , but have to consider they are old trees and trees dont' stop growing just because they want to stay the size of things around them. I went back and forth on them, should they be smaller.. my poor brain. I decided to leave them big though.

eishiya
06-03-2007, 05:24 AM
Looking amazing, but I think the size of the many leaves really messes with the scale. The leaves are either huge, or the ruins are very small. This is especially true for the large background trees (which would be fine if it weren't for their leaves), and the vines.

Inlakechh
06-03-2007, 10:31 AM
well done. Really nice mood in this image. Good luck !

Ivy00
06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks Inlakechh :)

Ok after all the tree comments I would be a pretty crappy learner if I didnt' listen. I changed the background trees to smaller ones.

http://www.smithsarts.com/NHMLindaSmithFinal.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.