PDA

View Full Version : save character sets?

elGeneral
04-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know how to save out character sets or write a script that does?

Example. I've made character sets/subsets and populated them with channels from a character. I would like to use the same set with the same channels in another scene. I've tried using the maya import/export options. Its partly successful in that it brings in the set but doesnt include/add channels to the sets. I have to manually do it. The sets are rather large, so this becomes very time consuming.

Anyone?

alec.tron
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Hiya,
just a quick idea. Why dont you use
string $members[] = `character -q character1`;

to get all channels / Set members & use that list to connect the second character in another scene...
Would only work if all namings are the same though...

good luck,
c.

elGeneral
04-18-2007, 07:59 PM
I may need more details. Explain pls
All I "understand" from that is it stores channels. What then, i dont know. How do I save this out? How do i import and implement in another scene?

alec.tron
04-19-2007, 08:52 AM
It s just a really straight forward mel copy & paste process and only works if your skeletons have the same namings throughout...

First type
print `character -q characterset`;
(whereas "characterset" is the name of my characterset...
this will give me a list of all it s components / single channels)

When you got that list, you could use the following
character -forceElement characterset HeadSCALE.tx;
for each channel you want to add (this one would look for an object called HeadSCALE and connect it's TranslateX channel to the characterset). It s not ellegant, and sounds tedious....so get a txt editor with a good search & replace function to make it easier...
In case you need to be more flexible (different skeletons etc), you ld need a propper mel script tho... unfortunately there s hardly any scripts public to make life with charactersets easier....

c.

elGeneral
04-24-2007, 02:03 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the help! I got it working. Things are looking bright.;)

Wish Alias made this easier and a little more automated.

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2007, 02:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.