PDA

View Full Version : Weird Rock

Timmay
04-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Well this is the reason why I haven't started on the challenge yet........

I think I might call this one done. I might add some sun rays and do more to the sky. I threw in a person so people could get a sense of scale. The big rocks were modeled, textured, and lighted in max, then painted over in Photoshop. I plan to add a quick zoom in effect, some flying birds, and the girl walks up to the rocks.

I'm not sure if it needs anything else.......comments, suggestions?

http://www.digitaltimmay.com/otherimages/weirdrock.jpg

Grrrrrrr
04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
There are many things wrong here. The layers u used are visible, and the light is different on each one. There is absolute no message to tell with this...while i look at it no feeling comes. And the simple shape of the 3d elements is weird and unnatural.

everlite
04-17-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree, a lot of work still needed with this one, though the backgrounds working better than the forground, to be honest i'd take out the forground completely and push the stone much further away into the mid ground and equally smaller.

Think about light, shadows and composition. Also not quite sure if you'd have sand so high up.

Stick with it :)

- Dave.

JJASSO
04-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I see a strong sun backlight on the strange rocks, and the other elements the foreground is totally like in an overcast day , the background mountains are too flat, work on the lighting here, and try to integrate more the different layers

Timmay
04-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok I made an update. I corrected the lighting ( I hope). Still need to integrate more. Ignore the foreground, in the process of coming up with something different. Thanx for your critiques, please keep them coming.

http://www.digitaltimmay.com/otherimages/weirdrock2.jpg

Grrrrrrr
04-18-2007, 08:55 AM
If i were you i would completely remove the person.

Now....since the rocks don t cast shadow on the foreground land than it means that the rocks are far away witch is cool (don t know if that is deliberate)...but the land it self still has wrong lighting.

I would leave this image as it is and move to the next one! You will learn more with your next and so on..and after a while you will see for yourself what is wrong there.

Timmay
04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Well I didn't adjust the lighting on the foreground b/c you guys are right, it's just not working. I'll tinker with it a bit more then move onto the challenge.

Timmay
04-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Well here's the final I came up with. I'm moving on from this to the Challenge now.

http://www.digitaltimmay.com/images/weirdrock.jpg

everlite
04-20-2007, 11:04 PM
That's a lot better and a lot cleaner, i'm really glad you came back onto this one, honestly you turned it around :) It's not 100% ie, i think a little haze and light bouce might work well around the base of the stones and there's still a few intergration problems with the various land elements but over all much better :)

- Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2007, 11:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.