PDA

View Full Version : New Question

Flog
03-10-2003, 09:55 PM
With Motionbuilder, can I create a character in lets say Metaseq or Rhino, save it as an obj, then bring it to Motionbuilder, then bone it, then animate it?

Flog
03-10-2003, 10:00 PM
does it work with say animation master or anything else other than XSI, Lightwave or Max?

Nonproductive
03-10-2003, 10:18 PM
My understanding is that motion builder reads FBX format only (in regards to models). Any application that is supported by their FBX plugins (available from Kaydara's site) can be used with the software.

If you have a way of getting your models into Motionbuilder you *can* render out to a video file directly. Although it is not the same as rendering in your 3D app of choice - basically it is a capture of the OpenGL preview.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct my info...

Flog
03-10-2003, 10:44 PM
so then the great 100 dollar value is worthless unless you got one of those 5,000 dollar programs. In other words its again left only to the elite who can afford to pay it.

The 100 dollar a year was too good to be true.

Michel Besner
03-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Indeed, we mainly support FBX but there is basic DXF support that is available as well.

Also, there is a growing number of FBX partners.
If you use a 3D app that does not support FBX, simply ask them to contact us and we'll find a way for them to support it.

PS : Expect FBX plug-ins for Cinema4D, Wings3D and other affordable solutions soon !

M.

Nonproductive
03-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Flog
so then the great 100 dollar value is worthless unless you got one of those 5,000 dollar programs. In other words its again left only to the elite who can afford to pay it.

The 100 dollar a year was too good to be true.

Hardley "worthless" in my mind.

First, Lightwave can be had for under $1000 through Safe Harbor.

Second, as Michel just posted - FBX is *actively* being developed - which means more apps supported in the future.

Lastly, there is *nothing* that comes close to Motionbuilder's speed and reusability for anywhere *near* $100. The closest you would get with a reasonably complete package is Animation Master for $300 and while Hash is improving - right now it is still a major headache. There is a tremendous amount of "clip art" available with Motionbuilder that you can learn the tool using those models and by the time you are up to speed I would venture to guess that more FBX support will be available.

Hopefully, Wings FBX support will be quick to come about and you'll be able to animate your own models for the price of a couple computer books.

and a quick side note: Motionbuilder is also not "$100 a year" - it is $100 now for the PE and then another $100 in the fall gets you a permanent Motionbuilder "basic" license. No more to spend after that. At $200 Kaydara is practically giving this away and are one of very few software companies that are catering to the little guy with the PE offer - *not* the elite as you stated.

Flog
03-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Oh yeah that is great what they are doing with the liscense and stuff. I wish other companies would follow suite. But thats the problem. I have the modellers I want, I have the renderer I want. I want to be able to import my wavefront obj files and bone them there, or animation master or other, but you can't do that with Kayadara can you?

Thing is I don't have 1000 to spend on anymore programs and thought this would be a good animation package with the models I have.

I guess since it exports bvh though I could still find a way to use it. We'll see. I hope my 100 is not wasted.

3D_Mike
03-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Why would you want to bone and skin models in motionbuilder? Theres lots of other packages that can handle that. Motion builder is best used for motionbuilding and realtime animation. No other package is equal in that field.

Flog
03-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Well the character would have to be put up with a motionbuilder skeleton in order to animate and not just have a static model. So how can that be done. I don't have those big bad modelling systems. I stick to Rhino, Animation Master, Wings3d, and Metaseq(very good freeware modeller)
I had Lightwave but gave it back to a friend who wanted the liscense back. He let me use it since he took it off his machine, but since only one copy for machine he took the liscense back and I took it off my sys.

In other words can a model a character, bring it to motionbulder and start animating?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.