PDA

View Full Version : 3DSMax to Maya? Is it possible?

noktUp
03-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Are there any maya plugins that let me import 3ds max native files??? i checked out highend but no luck. I know of poly trans, but that prog is a payne in da ass! The easiest way i can think of is just to use an import plugin with maya.

any suggestions??\

thnx in advance!!

MosaFacku
03-10-2003, 10:34 PM
you could try using the filmbox plugins. they're free. you might not get everything, but you'll get a lot. you can get them at www.kaydara.com

KazuyaMochu
03-10-2003, 10:51 PM
I'm bot sure, but have you tryed "deep exploration" from right hemisphere? in the demo version you have up to 3 days to test it
and it imports and saves in most of the formats...
i don't know
try it!

Kaz

bentllama
03-11-2003, 05:43 AM
I use FBX at work to get the Max model data to the Maya animators...

tobe90
03-11-2003, 07:42 AM
the kaydara filmbox is ok, but a lot of the time you loose information such as smoothing groups, triangulation and inverted faces. for most part of the time you could just export to .dxf or .obj and use max2obj, obj2max to get the same results. all of these formats will leave the texture coordinates intact.
The safest way is to erase all history from maya to max, and when going from max to maya, collapse the stack for smoothest result.

but, hey, any crazy coder who feels that it would be a nice challenge, please write a multiapplication converter/importer/exporter ;P

derelict
03-11-2003, 08:11 AM
ummmm er ya that.

bugo
03-12-2003, 01:11 AM
derelict: im just here to say that I love your avatar... Jezzz :bounce:

Noktup: when I need the plugins of 3ds I export the .mb file with FBX plugin (http://www.kaydara.com) and do it there. Justlike Bentllama. :thumbsup: try there and find it, coz this plugin works for animation and its the best for it! just not for this smooth problem like tobe90 said!

bentllama
03-12-2003, 10:02 AM
smoothing groups in MAX are done in a way that is completely retarded, and hard to port over to other apps

noktUp
03-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Thnx for the help all!

thnx for the heads up on the smooth issue.
Thnx for the software suggestion, i found fbx and love it.
also deep exploration is dabomb!!!!!!!

thnx again for saving my ass!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.