PDA

View Full Version : nhmchallenge Ervine Lin

ervine
04-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is the first time I'm trying to start and finish one of the challenges within CGtalk, always work on them for a short while then give up due to various reasons.

Anyway here's my cleaned plate. I decided to take out the orange lights as well, since that's also unnatural.

http://www.studiov.com.sg/TEMP/mattepainting/nhm_challenge_plate_cleanedS.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated I'm pretty new at this. :)

Good luck to everyone!
Ervine

Grrrrrrr
04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Hehe..i see with every submission that the clean plate gets a lot morea cleaner :D .

Well....good luck, and good start!

Inlakechh
04-16-2007, 05:06 PM
nice idea to put the windows down there ... looking good

ervine
04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi again,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Here's a quick stitch up of how I intend to extend the plate. I kinda decided to try to have the building open up into a "T" (when viewed from plan view). At the intersection top it off with a dome, much like many olden buildings with similar plans.

http://www.studiov.com.sg/TEMP/mattepainting/nhm_challenge_plate_testextentionS.jpg

Well this is the easy part! Now I have to slowly work the extension bit by bit.. *groan*

Erv.

Grrrrrrr
04-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Damn...i should have posted my extension sooner, cause i thought the same thing. I ran into some weird perspective issues, i wonder how you will handle them. (for now there are some problems in your left side)

dellis
04-17-2007, 06:49 PM
The clean up is really impressive. Great work....

ervine
04-18-2007, 03:36 AM
Damn...i should have posted my extension sooner, cause i thought the same thing. I ran into some weird perspective issues, i wonder how you will handle them. (for now there are some problems in your left side)

Yup, it's giving me a real headache trying to figure out where the roof and all are supposed to be... Was thinking of blocking it out in 3D, all my perspective lines are driving me crazy!

RiKToR
04-18-2007, 06:30 AM
If you block it out in 3d the lens is a 18mm so if you input that in the 3d camera settings it will help alot, you can then change your focal length to desired perspective and use photoshop to correct the perspective.

Cameo
04-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Really clean plate you got there ervine, good job. Interesting take on the concept as well!

SoniaNotRed
04-18-2007, 10:02 AM
You sure don't look like you're new at this! :eek: The cleanup is just perfect!
Cool idea for the extension, too.

Inlakechh
04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
great plate, I fear you are going to have some trouble on fixing perspective for that concept just by transforming and stamping. If you plan to repaint perspective corrections anyway, it will work for sure. so keep it up. :)

ervine
04-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey guys,

Been busy with work, so no time to update. :)

Okay I gave up trying to figure out the perspective lines in 2D so I resorted to 3D to block out the interior.

I then realised why I originally had so much problems, it was because I moved the original plate off centre, thus creating some weird perspective issues because the camera was no longer focusing in the centre of the image. Not sure what's the technical term for this.

Well anyway, here's a look at the 3D wireframe set against the bkdrp.

http://www.studiov.com.sg/TEMP/mattepainting/nhm_challenge_plate_testextention2S.jpg
Some might ask how I got the measurements.. well it's an old architecture student's trick. We use the standard size of steps to estimate. So each step is roughly 150mm (H) x 250mm (D). So multiply that out and you can roughtly know the height of the stairs. From there extrapolate everything else and with a fair bit of "eyeballing", it can get reasonably accurate. It's not perfect but it beats drawing a million perspective lines!

Ok.. back to work!!

Thanks for the advice so far... will see what I can do from here.

Erv.

Cameo
04-20-2007, 08:46 AM
So is that just a visual aid for the perspective ervine or do you plan on actually working in 3D and doing a full camera move etc at the end?

ervine
04-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Used photoshop to help correct the perspective a little to make it less distorted at the sides... Think I'll just stick to this and start painting in the extension. Wish me luck!

http://www.studiov.com.sg/TEMP/mattepainting/nhm_challenge_plate_testextention3S.jpg

ervine
04-20-2007, 08:48 AM
So is that just a visual aid for the perspective ervine or do you plan on actually working in 3D and doing a full camera move etc at the end?

Well I was hoping I could, but I don't know how to do it to be honest. Right now it's just a guide for me.. Will be asking a friend for advice about that part...

ervine
04-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Here's the quick first pass establishing the base colours and values. Having some trouble with the dome part though.. Hm.. Will try to sort it out when I start painting it in detail...

http://www.studiov.com.sg/TEMP/mattepainting/nhm_challenge_plate_testextention4S.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2007, 05:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.